Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Technology Question

• 09-07-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Do all the big Hi-speed service providers (Eircom, UPC, Sky) now use VDSL for high speed Internet or do some use different technologies?

I would like high speed Internet but am not in favour of VDSL as I don't believe it is a fully tested system.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Do all the big Hi-speed service providers (Eircom, UPC, Sky) now use VDSL for high speed Internet or do some use different technologies?

I would like high speed Internet but am not in favour of VDSL as I don't believe it is a fully tested system.

Hi

Not all ISP's uses VDSL exclusively for high speed broadband. UPC uses their existing cable network for all services. Other companies can also use fixed wireless like Imagine (Wimax) and Digiweb (Metro) as well as satellite (QSat and Digiweb).

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nope, not at all. UPC, for example, have their own cable network. They use better grade cable (than regular phone lines), so can offer better speeds (in most areas) than even eircom's latest FTTC/VDSL/"e-Fibre" roll out.

Sky don't offer VDSL yet (they just resell eircom's regular DSL offering, and do a bit of their own regular DSL from "unbundled"/LLU exchanges where they use their own equipment, not Eircom's).

Then there are some FTTH (where providers will wire fibre right to your home), and despite having the best technology of all, it's not always used very well (low speeds, and high prices often in "mini monopoly" estates / apartment complexes, where the provider has struck an exclusivity deal).

If UPC is in your area and have upgraded their network (to support high-speed broadband), then that will yield better results than VDSL / FTTC roll-out. If/when eircom roll out full FTTH, that may change, of course.

It's tested alright, as eircom/Ireland are late to that party. However, it's only a recent roll out here (so there may be teething issues to do with the roll out, rather than the technology). It's also (like any DSL), very dependant on distance (and quality of phone line). For example, in most (but not all) areas where UPC say 100Mb, you can actually get that (or close to it), normally. With VDSL, up to 70Mb will only be for the lucky ones that are very, very near their local curb-side cabinet (the "C" of FTTC). So, really, the two only compare if you are ideally located on a recent and small loop of UPC's network, or very close to a FTTC cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Rollercoaster

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cgarvey wrote: »
    Then there are some FTTH (where providers will wire fibre right to your home), and despite having the best technology of all, it's not always used very well (low speeds, and high prices often in "mini monopoly" estates / apartment complexes, where the provider has struck an exclusivity deal)
    I went from upc 150mbps to 100mbps magnet FTTH ( and was initially bothered about the speed downgrade) but the magnet p1sses all over my old upc connection in everything except speedtest.net benchmarks for speed, although it still knocks the snot out of upc on ping times with regular 5ms pings to Dublin servers.

that said, it is expensive at €60 a month, but it's totally unlimited and unrestricted in any way so it's hard to complain really.

Advertisement