Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Fatpipe and the THOMSON TG789vn

• 09-07-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

So I got fatpipe installed today and discovered to my horror that the mprovided modem/router is locked down so you can't change it. After digging around, I found the credentials to log in (username: user, password: mygateway) but none of the settings are configurable.

So I figured, it's technically their property anyway so I'll use the WAN port to connect it to a router I had, and disable wireless on the Thomson. Nope, didn't work either. I can't disable wireless and the WAN port doesn't look like it's enabled / handing out an IP.

Does anyone have any advice on how to accomplish even configuring it to just act as a modem? I'll call support tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I got magnet installed today. The modem is very disappointing. A really cheap offering. No gigabit Ethernet for crying out loud. Very poor signal strength compared to my adsl 2 + Billion.

There is a bridge mode however I saw it in the options, so you can just have the TG789vn v3 only connecting to your vdsl provider in bridge mode, and your other router doing everything else. There are so few settings to browse through, you should find it pretty quickly. Shame really to have to use bridge mode. It's a bit of a waste of power having to have two units powered up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Praetorian wrote: »
    I got magnet installed today. The modem is very disappointing. A really cheap offering. No gigabit Ethernet for crying out loud. Very poor signal strength compared to my adsl 2 + Billion.

There is a bridge mode however I saw it in the options, so you can just have the TG789vn v3 only connecting to your vdsl provider in bridge mode, and your other router doing everything else. There are so few settings to browse through, you should find it pretty quickly. Shame really to have to use bridge mode. It's a bit of a waste of power having to have two units powered up.

Same impressions myself. I can't find the option for bridge mode though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Alzone

thesteve wrote: »
    Same impressions myself. I can't find the option for bridge mode though.

Did you try the following?

Under "Technicolor Gateway" on the left click "Configuration", then click "Setup my Technicolor Gateway" at the bottom under the "Pick a task..." section. The follow the instructions in the wizard and select bridge mode.

Note you will need to enter your ISP account details into your router, not the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Alzone wrote: »
    Under "Technicolor Gateway"...

this question relates to a Thomson TG789vn...

the details to get more access to the box is though: admin and m4gn3tTG789

Also, look at http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1881460. the third post explains how to put in into "guru" mode (root)...

lotas wrote: »
    this question relates to a Thomson TG789vn...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor_SA ;)

Also it seems that depending of the version of your modem, you get different password as admin. Mine is almost similar to the one previously mentioned but one number changes.

• Advertisement

You could ask Magnet for the password, they gave me mine over email...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

really they told me they dont give them out :( i want to install an extender on my network as I cant get wifi reception in the bedroom..well very low quality..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Must say the modem is a bit crap. Kept getting unable to connect despite having wifi settings saved. Turns out according to support that the dhcp lease is set for 24 hours and you can only have seven devices. Cant see any option in the config page to change this either. Supports suggestion? Turn off modem for an hour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I have at least 12 devices running off this router at any one time with no issues. To be honest, it's actually performing better than more expensive routers that I've used in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

On a different note, how are you guys/gals finding Magnets Fatpipe broadband.. are their speeds reliable/consistent.. Just wondering as I am planning on moving to magnet as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I got the TG789 on Friday. Fatpipe coming on Tuesday. This thread may help with the admin username / password. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

user: admin
    pass: m4gn3tTG789

would be what I'd try. If anyone can confirm, that would be great.

Yes. That's the password I use to get in. There is a thread I started here somewhere.there is a link to turning on guru mode, Or root access, and that helps get a lot more features... Mind you, still not got bridging enabled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Magnet were more then helpful when I called to get information and details for my router including login details. Support guy actually forwarded a me a document containing settings and everything in the event I needed to revert. Was more then happy to provide me some basics, obviously advised he couldn't help me setup a third party router, but was happy to help with any issues with the Technicolour, which was nice in fairness.

Ended up actually remaning with the technicolour, turns out my issue wasn't with the router but with the line itself.

TheDoc wrote: »

Ended up actually remaning with the technicolour, turns out my issue wasn't with the router but with the line itself.

Were you able to turn it the modem into Bridged mode?

I have posted that in the Magnet threads but still didn't hear from them:

Is there anyone who was able to set the TG589vn v3 in Bridge mode? The Magnet modem is terrible: low granularity, no Gig Ethernet ports...

I was given my PPOE logons. When trying to set up the TG589vn in Bridge mode then connect to my router I just changed the following settings: PPOE connection (+ logons). It seems that I can't obtain a WAN IP address. The MTU is 1492.
    Primary DNS: 85.91.1.130
    Secondary DNS: 85.91.1.128

The PPOE logins given were: 88XXXX@magnet.ie but when resetting the modem it says magnet@magnetbusiness.ie

I am not sure why I am not able to obtain an IP address on my second router. Could it be link with DHCP...?

Thanks

Advertisement