Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 week old constant screaming.

Options
  • 10-07-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies, my little man who is 15 weeks.
    About a week and a half ago he woke out of his sleep after only 25 mins screaming crying. I'd never heard him like this before tried feeding, winding etc nothing soothed him. Finally I put my finger to his mouth and he stopped straight away and was chewing on my finger so put it down to his gums at him.
    For 3 days I gave him nurofen, calpol, bonjella and teetha powder. It eased anyway but since then he screams, screeches and cries a lot of the day, I don't think he's in pain because sometimes when you go to him and say what's wrong he'll start giggling at you. For the last week and a half it's been a nightmare, can't go anywhere with him incase he kicks off. The only time he seems to be quiet is when feeding or sleeping.
    Ppl are saying he's doing it for attention, he's spoiled etc.... I'm really hoping its just a phase!
    Anyone experience anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Please do not listen to people telling you that he is doing it for attention/he is spoiled!! He's 15 weeks for heaven's sake! Trust your gut; he is NOT doing it for attention.
    Could it be colic? Have you asked the PHN or GP about it, especially if he was a peaceful little baby up until recently and nothing youve tried is helping.. maybe seek expert advice from them. You must be shattered tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

he could be teething, sometimes it can take weeks for tooth to appear. you coming to him might not necessarily stop the pain but rather a distraction to it hence the giggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Yeah im putting it down to the teething because he was such a good baby prior to this. Our PHN is useless I rang last week about the teething and never got a call back. He should have had his 3mth check up or I should have at least been contacted. I'm going to ring them again in the morning if I've no luck with PHN I'll go the gp. I actually taught to myself this morning how am I going to get through the day with the crying. I gave him nurofen this morning and he'd slept a bit but still kicking off throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi elly, I totally sympathise with you. My lil man was like this until about 13 weeks and has just started back into it again in the past fortnight. The first time around it was silent reflux and now it is horrendous wind. His poor tummy is rock hard. I would say watch for wind, fussing around feeding times and drooling/sore gums to see if its any if the above. At 15 weeks he is not spoiled, he must have a little pain somewhere so just watch him and you'll figure out what it is.

Hope it eases soon. X

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi elly, I totally sympathise with you. My lil man was like this until about 13 weeks and has just started back into it again in the past fortnight. The first time around it was silent reflux and now it is horrendous wind. His poor tummy is rock hard. I would say watch for wind, fussing around feeding times and drooling/sore gums to see if its any if the above. At 15 weeks he is not spoiled, he must have a little pain somewhere so just watch him and you'll figure out what it is.

Hope it eases soon. X

Hey YH, you must be worn out at this stage....and the poor little man.
    I don't think it's wind as he's never really suffered with wind he's good at burping even does it on his own now. The only thing I can think of is his gums because his hands are constantly in his mouth and he's always trying to chomp down on my hand. It's just horrible seeing him the way he is because he was so good and rarely cried before this. I really hope it passes soon. Today was an ok day compared to what we have had the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

elly123 wrote: »
    I don't think it's wind as he's never really suffered with wind he's good at burping even does it on his own now. The only thing I can think of is his gums because his hands are constantly in his mouth and he's always trying to chomp down on my hand. It's just horrible seeing him the way he is because he was so good and rarely cried before this. I really hope it passes soon. Today was an ok day compared to what we have had the last week.
    Have you tried teetha gel or sachets?or bonjela? I'm never without one of these in my bag :) The poor pet,hope he gets some relief soon. My little man started teething very early, you'd feel so sorry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

elly123 wrote: »

Hi.

First off you have my sympathies as i know how tiring babies can be (not had good night sleep in 5 months lol). I also think it sounds like teeth especially with the drooling and chewing. You can get some small teethers in Mothercare that go in the freezer the cold helps sooth the gums also are you seeing any lumps or white marks on the gums? This is usually a sign of teeth coming through. Sorry if what i am saying sounds like basic stuff but i don't know if this is your first or 15th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Ignore anybody who says that a child under a year old is spoilt. He's 15 weeks old, of course he wants to be picked up by his loved ones.

Sounds like it could be teething but if you use a sling it might help of its a colic problem.

In any event there's nothing to make a baby feel better than a snuggle from Mammy or Daddy.

I hope you get some rest today.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

At this young don't listen to people who say it the baby is looking for attention or is spoilt etc. They are screaming because they want comforting in some way from something that is bothering them.

It is probably teething. It will come and go in phases so just take comfort in the fact that you are doing all you can to comfort him.

He could be too hot as well perhaps with the hot weather?

Thanks ladies, it is my first baby, I've bn giving him teetha powder using bonjela, calpol nurofen, teething rings from freezer and fridge. He's getting cool baths during the day when he's hot and bothered but it must be the gums. I just had a look at them, no real noticeable white marks but he wanted to chew my finger I hope it eases for him and me as its tiring and restless for both of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

I don't know if they still stock it but we used to get a tiny bottle of anbesol from the chemist. It's a liquid local anesthetic that you put on your finger and rub on their gums and was just the most amazing stuff. Will tell you instantly if it's a teething problem as all discomfort is immediately gone. You do have to be careful how regularly you put it on as too often can make the skin on their gums sore but to be honest, I found that the neurofen and calpol route helped the teeth but upset their tummies too? If nothing else, it will tell you if it's not the teeth in case it's something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

For both Elly and Yellow Hen.
    My 11 month old was a bit of a screamer when he was 1-5 weeks old, he had wond problems from what i could see, hard stomach , and he was bringing up his legs in pain etc. Then i remembered a phn friend of mine (and mum of 2) telling me before my baby was even born to take him or her to a Cranial Osteopath. so i did, at 5 weeks, and he improved after the first visit and was totally fine after the second one. The osteopath recommended probiotics and digestive enzymes before each bottle (can be got in health shops) He started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks and we have never had a sleepless night with him since. like EVER........(hope i'm not jinxing it now!)

Advertisement