Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to stay in london

Options
  • 10-07-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi I'm planning on going to London sometime in the start of august and was looking for some places to stay as I'm not quiet sure so could you reccomend some please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Hi

Read this and this

What is you budget?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi I'm planning on going to London sometime in the start of august and was looking for some places to stay as I'm not quiet sure so could you reccomend some please?

Hi pa limerick, we'll need a lot more information to be able to help you out. The answers to the following questions should help get things rolling:
    • Have you decided on a general area you'd like to stay in?
    • What's your budget for accommodation?
    • Are you travelling alone? If not, how many are with you and are you booking accommodation for everyone?
    • How long are you travelling for?
    • Do you have travel arrangements made already? If so, what airport are you flying to?
    • What sort of things do you want to do while you're here? What kind of discretionary spending budget do you have?

August is right in the middle of high season, and while it shouldn't be quite as hectic as last year given that we've no Olympics this year, there will still be a lot of tourists around meaning high demand (and cost) for accommodation. You'll need to bear this in mind when making plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Fysh wrote: »
    Hi pa limerick, we'll need a lot more information to be able to help you out. The answers to the following questions should help get things rolling:
    • Have you decided on a general area you'd like to stay in?
    • What's your budget for accommodation?
    • Are you travelling alone? If not, how many are with you and are you booking accommodation for everyone?
    • How long are you travelling for?
    • Do you have travel arrangements made already? If so, what airport are you flying to?
    • What sort of things do you want to do while you're here? What kind of discretionary spending budget do you have?

August is right in the middle of high season, and while it shouldn't be quite as hectic as last year given that we've no Olympics this year, there will still be a lot of tourists around meaning high demand (and cost) for accommodation. You'll need to bear this in mind when making plans.

Hi i'd be travelling into stansted and I was thinking Liverpool street, theres 2 of us and I'd be booking for the both of us.we're travelling for 3 days from the 7th of August to the 10th of August.What's the Liverpool street area like?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi i'd be travelling into stansted and I was thinking Liverpool street, theres 2 of us and I'd be booking for the both of us.we're travelling for 3 days from the 7th of August to the 10th of August.What's the Liverpool street area like?

Based on a quick look at laterooms.co.uk you're probably talking about £200 or more for those dates. Put in some time checking expedia.co.uk, trivago.co.uk, kayak.co.uk, lastminute.com, hotelopia.com, and any other travel sites you know of - that should get you the best chance of finding any cheaper rates. (You can also try the likes of airbnb or gumtree if you want to go for a private short-term let but be careful if you do so...)

Liverpool Street is near the City, which means the immediate area might be a bit dull (certainly that's my recollection of the couple of times I've been round there) but it's also pretty central so you shouldn't have to travel very far to find interesting things - for example, Tower Hill is only a few minute's walk away and is worth checking out. You're also not too far from Shoreditch High Street, which is good for shopping and eating out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

What's the Liverpool street area like?
    Full of suits. There's very little of interest around there. It is fairly central as Fysh says, but I wouldn't have thought there'd be much in the way of cheap accommodation around there.

I suggest you look a little further north, around the King's Cross area - 10 minutes on the tube from Liverpool St. Plenty of relatively cheap guesthouses and B&B's around there and it's still pretty central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

djpbarry wrote: »
    Full of suits. There's very little of interest around there. It is fairly central as Fysh says, but I wouldn't have thought there'd be much in the way of cheap accommodation around there.

I suggest you look a little further north, around the King's Cross area - 10 minutes on the tube from Liverpool St. Plenty of relatively cheap guesthouses and B&B's around there and it's still pretty central.

I was only looking at Liverpool street as I found the tune hotel which was cheap compared to other places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I was only looking at Liverpool street as I found the tune hotel which was cheap compared to other places

Stayed a night there recently, very affordable and clean. The room we were in was windowless but it didn't bother us as it was really just a place to put the head down (you can specify for one with windows but it'll cost you an extra £75 roughly). As has been mentioned, very business oriented area but very central and close to the tube and it'll get you to any of the tourist sites within 20mins. Personally I'd say go for it unless there's any other suggestions of for cheaper/better accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

What's the Liverpool street area like?

you're only a few minutes walk from Shoreditch / Old St area which isn't exactly short of trendy bars and clubs, and a short tube ride to oxford st etc. Not a bad place to be based.

There's a holiday inn near old st which might be cheaper http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/gb/en/london/lonct/hoteldetail

Advertisement