Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle questions.

Options
  • 09-07-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Do you need an air licence if you're shooting stuff, like a tin can, in your back garden?
    I'm wondering this because my back garden is BIG as it used to be part of a field though I still have all rights to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Short answer? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Roachblaster

daveob007,
    are you sure you aren't allowed to shoot rats? I thought it was legal to do so which was one thing I was gonna do until you posted that...

Do you need a licence for airsoft aswell or just air?

It is legal to do so. It's not legal to go hunting game with one but rats and rabbits aren't game.

Do you need a licence for airsoft aswell or just air?

No, airsoft doesn't need a licence.

• Advertisement

:D Ok thanks for the help mate.
    .... I wonder would an airsoft gun still go through a rats skull... probably.... lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

.... I wonder would an airsoft gun still go through a rats skull... probably.... lol.

No it wouldn't so don't try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Airsoft is with a plastic pellet firing under 1j of power...so no it will not go through a rats skull since it doesnt even pierce skin at much range.

This thread is from 07 and 09 and not everything may be accurate..

for one, you cant legally shoot bottles or targets with ur air rifle outside of a range. You can use it to shoot vermin. eg rats, rabbits feral pigeon, magpies.

and the licence is the same as any firearms licence and cost 80euro for 3 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

garv123 wrote: »
    This thread is from 07 and 09 and not everything may be accurate..

Moved into it's own thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

garv123 wrote: »
    Airsoft is with a plastic pellet firing under 1j of power...so no it will not go through a rats skull since it doesnt even pierce skin at much range.

Doesn't pierce skin at *any* range!

The threshold for a penetrating injury, even for fragile parts of the body such as the eye, is ~3-4j.

That information comes from the Control of Firearms in Northern Ireland, and the Draft Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 2002, paragraph 32.

So no, an airsoft device will NOT do any harm whatsoever to a rat and would more likely constitute and act of cruelty than anything else.

If you want to shoot vermin then go get a licence for an appropriate tool to do the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement