Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong for me to want a GameCube?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Don't forget to pick up Rogue Leader, an outstanding game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If your around Dublin there is a retro store called R.A.G.E that sell GC consoles and games, Its one of the best gaming consoles ever, back in the days when Mario games were awesome!

The main Mario title on the GC is not as good as 64 or Galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

After a bit of ringing around, a very generous cousin has offered me the original Wii for nothing which comes with the remote control and nunchuck. He doesn't get to use it anymore. I think that offers the best of both worlds with the backwards compatibility.

So I'm trying to make a list of items I will need to get up and running with the current Wii titles and the GameCube titles. Feel free to suggest anything better instead of the items on the list or even anything which I may have missed .

Wii LAN adapter
    Wii component cable
    Wii classic controller (the one that looks like the 360 pad)
    GC controller with extension lead
    GC memory card

Should that cover it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nice. May as well pick up a MotionPlus addon for the Wiimote at some point, assuming your very generous cousin doesn't already have it. Will cover you for games like Skyward Sword. You getting any games with it? You may get the component cables with it.

Also it's got built in WiFi so you mightn't need the LAN adapter. I don't use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cuchulainn90

The main Mario title on the GC is not as good as 64 or Galaxy.

I agree, I'm a 64 fan-boy myself but the GC Mario titles (Especially Double Dash) are still insanely enjoyable and in my opinion far superior to any current gen consoles/ handhelds soulless cash-ins.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mario sunshine is incredible, never understood the complaints i've seen people make about it

mario kart double dash is the pinnacle of the series imo, it was just perfect. hours upon hours trying to perfect your lines around a track trying to shave .5 of a second off your time. granted I probably wouldn't have put the effort in at the time if I wasn't smoking a lot but it had serious depth. mario kart wii was a big steaming bowl of meh in comparison

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Nice. May as well pick up a MotionPlus addon for the Wiimote at some point, assuming your very generous cousin doesn't already have it. Will cover you for games like Skyward Sword. You getting any games with it? You may get the component cables with it.

Also it's got built in WiFi so you mightn't need the LAN adapter. I don't use one.

Excellent. I wasn't aware of that.

Unfortunately no games with it or a component cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

mario sunshine is incredible, never understood the complaints i've seen people make about it

Sunshine is a very good game, but it's just not as good as 64 or Galaxy. The best parts are the mini-games without the FLUDD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Pac1Man wrote: »
    :o

I kind of avoided Nintendo for some unknown reason since the SNES and I would like to rectify that. I've never played a Zelda game for example! Is there still fun to be had with the big purple box? My expectations are realistic regarding graphics etc. but I'm wondering what the enjoyment levels will be like nowadays.

Also, where would be the best place to look for one? Are there any recommended retro gaming outlets or websites or am I just better off keeping an eye on Gumtree/DoneDeal/Adverts?

if you avoided nintendo since the snes,i suggest you buy an N-64. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

The blue coins were terrible padding to the game. The game did control very well and the platforming was mostly very good especially the FLUDDless levels.
    Wii LAN adapter
    Wii component cable
    Wii classic controller (the one that looks like the 360 pad)
    GC controller with extension lead
    GC memory card

The Wii has wifi built in so you may not want the LAN adapter. Also check if there are any games that you actually want to play online before buying it.

The classic controller isn't really needed, I prefer playing Smash Bros and Mario Kart using the GC controller and really the only game I used the classic controller with was Xenoblade.

Instead of getting the GC controller, think about getting a Wavebird. They're great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The N64 gets a lot of love but it's a much worse console than the Cube or the SNES. While it has a few amazing games it really doesn't have a lot of them and most of the Rare games bar Banjo and Blast Corp (which ****ing rocks!) have aged really badly to the point of being unplayable.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The N64 gets a lot of love but it's a much worse console than the Cube or the SNES. While it has a few amazing games it really doesn't have a lot of them and most of the Rare games bar Banjo and Blast Corp (which ****ing rocks!) have aged really badly to the point of being unplayable.

Fully agree. They're are absolute classics on the N64, better games than you'd find on loads of other machines (Super Mario 64, the two Zeldas, Paper Mario, Banjo), it doesn't have the depth of other machines.

you want debt,then i will give you dept....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1CYlhGyoImCIrWHFV4FTjfROev894H8vw7gvvCarw5JZ7ZSlJcw

Am I correct in thinking that I could use the GC controller (or Wavebird) for most Wii games and for those that I can't, the Wii remote/nunchuck will perform perfectly fine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It depends on the game. Only a few support the GC controller.

110307-n64-03.jpg

the n64 boy.

made from a gameboy advance carry case heres the link. i wish i owned this!!!{notice the game cube toggle stick}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dgyzuFMfJ4Q

Am I correct in thinking that I could use the GC controller (or Wavebird) for most Wii games and for those that I can't, the Wii remote/nunchuck will perform perfectly fine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_that_use_the_Classic_Controller

Wiimote and nunchuck should work with pretty much all Wii games.

The classic controller is great for Virtual Console SNES games.

And Xenoblade.

If you own a Wii and don't have Xenoblade you are doing yourself a disservice. Best RPG of this gen hands down!

And Xenoblade.

If you own a Wii and don't have Xenoblade you are doing yourself a disservice. Best RPG of this gen hands down!

I mentioned Xenoblade and the classic controller in an earlier post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Monster Hunter Tri, apart from the fact the online service has been discontinued, is a very good game which can be bought cheaply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And Xenoblade.

Can't find it for cheap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Can't find it for cheap :(

Huh, £50 on amazon now, I got it for like £23 i think not that long after it came out...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, Nintendo made a big mistake using carts for that generation because when you go back, game graphics look so stretched and blocky with the limited texture sample size they could get on there. Having said that, there are enough games on the system that were amazing to make it a success in spite of the limitations.

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, Nintendo made a big mistake using carts for that generation because when you go back, game graphics look so stretched and blocky with the limited texture sample size they could get on there. Having said that, there are enough games on the system that were amazing to make it a success in spite of the limitations.

That was nothing to do with the cartridge sizes. The N64 only had a texture cache of 4kb so textures were limited to 64x64 sizes. If you wanted to increase the amount of colours you could use or use alpha, which a lot of devs did, then it was 16x16 pixel textures. It's a really bad design flaw of the N64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Gamecube was and still is a lovely chibi thing. That said, anyone want mine for 20 euro? I've sent the games off to better places, but the hardware is all good and still with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

That was nothing to do with the cartridge sizes. The N64 only had a texture cache of 4kb so textures were limited to 64x64 sizes. If you wanted to increase the amount of colours you could use or use alpha, which a lot of devs did, then it was 16x16 pixel textures. It's a really bad design flaw of the N64.

Oh yeah. I keep forgetting that. :o

Were the actual disadvantages of the cart format more to do with the lack of space for things like FMV and full audio, as well as the cost of manufacture?

Cost of manufacture was a big deal. If you used the highest capacity cartridges you needed to sell a lot of copies to make money back so you only saw big games like Resident Evil 2 or Nintendo games (since they got them cheaper) use them.

Cartridge is a far superior format to optical disc. You can see with Resident Evil 2 how much they could actual squeeze out of it since the access speed was so fast they could afford to use compression to get more assets on to the smaller memory size. There's also very few PS1 games that really used the full CD capacity although there's plenty of RPGs that definitely needed it and MGS with all that audio data.

Size was an issue in some cases but mostly it was cost of manufacture and licensing by nintendo. You could print discs for negligible costs so you saw lots of indie companies make quirky games on the PS1 because the barrier of entry was so low. On N64 carts were very expensive and Nintendo controlled how many carts each publisher received. You had to pay up front for a huge number of carts so if your game didn't do well you'd be left with unsold stock and possibly face bankruptcy. Sony were far more lenient with licensing which is one of the things that made the PS1 such a huge success.

Sorry to drag this up again. Is eBay a reliable source for games? There are plenty of GC games available at very reasonable prices, at least better than Play.com. I know you are taking a risk not being able to view the quality of the disk but does anyone do this regularly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I have never bought from ebay, but don't the sellers have ratings? If so, let that be your guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sorry to drag this up again. Is eBay a reliable source for games? There are plenty of GC games available at very reasonable prices, at least better than Play.com. I know you are taking a risk not being able to view the quality of the disk but does anyone do this regularly?
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    I have never bought from ebay, but don't the sellers have ratings? If so, let that be your guide.

Indeed. Ebay is great for bargains. But don't overly trust massive amounts of positive feedback either. It's easily faked. Be wary of fake positive comments.

"Greayt sellor A+++++" over and over with the same spelling mistakes and excessive plus signs. These are bots that scammers set up to buy their own products so they can leave feedback to their own account. It makes them look legit to the average punter.

Advertisement