Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong for me to want a GameCube?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I just want to say damn you op for posting this thread originally as it was what made me think about buying a wii again and lead me to spending 70quid on one.

Great thread though. So many great titles for gamecube that I missed being a ps2 man at the time.

The more I've looked into it tbh I think the Wii was a very underrated console. It has that stigma of being gimmicky with the dance and fitness games etc but theres a heap of quality titles.

I'd go as far as saying that I could play no other console for the next 2 years and still have plenty of top titles and hidden gems to keep me occupied.

Anyway as I said damn you op as I didnt have the 70 quid to be spending. Looks likes pasta and ketchup for dinner for the next few weeks. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Timesplitters 2 on the gamecube. Best MP game ever.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Timesplitters 2 on the gamecube. Best MP game ever.

I havent bought/played a timesplitters game yet actually.

That said I have the ps2 as well so not sure which console to buy it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

t3J9z2a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

HAHA that Yard sale thing is brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I havent bought/played a timesplitters game yet actually.

That said I have the ps2 as well so not sure which console to buy it for.

I wouldn't bother. It was good for it's time as a console multiplayer game but on PC it was far surpassed by the likes of CS and UT. Multiplayer FPS has come a long way since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I just want to say damn you op for posting this thread originally as it was what made me think about buying a wii again and lead me to spending 70quid on one...

:D You will thank me after Sanity's Requiem, so I'm told.

So everything is set up and ready to go (cables, controllers etc.). I ordered my maiden GameCube game from ebay so hopefully it will be a successful purchase regarding disk quality. The game in question is Resident Evil. I need to finally face that zombie* that scared the bejaysus out of me as a 7 year old! Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

The price of some games is surprising though. The likes of Twin Snakes and Paper Mario pack a hefty premium.

* c04e8a4e-8b21-48ec-bc4b-1fb35675f822.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Can you play NES and SNES titles on the Wii too?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    :D You will thank me after Sanity's Requiem, so I'm told.

So everything is set up and ready to go (cables, controllers etc.). I ordered my maiden GameCube game from ebay so hopefully it will be a successful purchase regarding disk quality. The game in question is Resident Evil. I need to finally face that zombie* that scared the bejaysus out of me as a 7 year old! Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

The price of some games is surprising though. The likes of Twin Snakes and Paper Mario pack a hefty premium.

* c04e8a4e-8b21-48ec-bc4b-1fb35675f822.jpg

So many good games to get into. I'm going to look at exclusives only though and particularly ones I've never played so pikmin, animal crossing, metroid, mario sunshine, etc..

Being the ps2 head I was I spent a LOT of that era playing the likes of gran turismo (which was great) but now I'm a little older and wiser I can spend my time on missed gaming!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Can you play NES and SNES titles on the Wii too?

Only through the Virtual Console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I ordered my maiden GameCube game from ebay so hopefully it will be a successful purchase regarding disk quality. The game in question is Resident Evil. I need to finally face that zombie* that scared the bejaysus out of me as a 7 year old! Hopefully I won't be disappointed.
    c04e8a4e-8b21-48ec-bc4b-1fb35675f822.jpg

He looks great on the GameCube version...
    7522.resident_2D00_evil_2D00_zombies.jpg_2D00_550x0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Indeed he does!

The game arrived this morning in near perfect condition. Not one scratch on the disks. Speaking of which, their size shocked me when I opened the box.:D For some reason I was expecting DVD sized disks.

As for the game, the setting and music really work excellent together. I like the fixed camera and the subsequent lack of vision. Makes you feel like the game is working against you somewhat which fits the theme. Kind of hard to explain. [Edit: I don't know why I'm reviewing a 17 year old game!]

I'm having trouble with the controls though. I find myself zig-zagging down corridors and jumping in and out of different camera viewpoints. Hopefully with a bit of practice all will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Reviewing since you're just discovering it and you may convince others to give them a shot.

Welcome to Wii and Gamecube. Hope you enjoy ownership and the games. As you can see you have a huge list of games to choose from. So have fun!. :D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Only through the Virtual Console.

Do they have a list with prices anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I remember that console, still have it. It really was amazing, its just a pity it didnt really take off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Do they have a list with prices anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(PAL_region)

Generally it's standardised and for the Wii it's in Nintendo Points (they've adopted real world money for the Wii U and 3ds.) NES are usually 500 points, SNES are 800 points and N64 are 1000 points. There are a few exceptions, like Super Mario RPG, which is 900 points.

The points cards you can buy in shops are in real money now but they're transferred into points if you use them on the Wii. The rate is €1 is 100 points.

Edit: there's a few other non-Nintendo consoles available as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

Indeed he does!

The game arrived this morning in near perfect condition. Not one scratch on the disks. Speaking of which, their size shocked me when I opened the box.:D For some reason I was expecting DVD sized disks.

As for the game, the setting and music really work excellent together. I like the fixed camera and the subsequent lack of vision. Makes you feel like the game is working against you somewhat which fits the theme. Kind of hard to explain. [Edit: I don't know why I'm reviewing a 17 year old game!]

I'm having trouble with the controls though. I find myself zig-zagging down corridors and jumping in and out of different camera viewpoints. Hopefully with a bit of practice all will be good.

Need to get into Resi once again. Never finished it the first time around. Got to a bit with spiders and a keypad and left it. That was back in '96/'97. Tried playing it again on a PSX emu but it feels very dated and getting those games to run is finicky. Even though its also available fo PC, theres still the problem of low-resolution. No, I think the GC version is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I finished with Jill in Resi 1 then moved on to 0, but only played a bit of it before I job a job that took me away fromm the cube so never got back into it. Have gotten all the Resi games on the cube though, so must start them from 1 again.

I think I said this before somewhere

Deano7788 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(PAL_region)

Generally it's standardised and for the Wii it's in Nintendo Points (they've adopted real world money for the Wii U and 3ds.) NES are usually 500 points, SNES are 800 points and N64 are 1000 points. There are a few exceptions, like Super Mario RPG, which is 900 points.

The points cards you can buy in shops are in real money now but they're transferred into points if you use them on the Wii. The rate is €1 is 100 points.

Edit: there's a few other non-Nintendo consoles available as well.

I was thinking of getting a SNES to play the Marios again but the sister has a Wii so I might just do it virtually. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Thought I would post this here if some of you hadn't seen this yet.

Seems like Ninty 'might' be planning to release Gamecube games on the VC soon'ish.

Linky's here http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/nintendo_files_new_eternal_darkness_trademark and here http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/29/nintendo-re-registers-eternal-darkness-trademark-includes-digital-distribution

Hope they do. My GC is all packed up and I dont want to take it out again.

I would imagine they are going to HD all thier Gamecube games like WW instead of releasing them on VC, but sure, ya never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I would imagine they are going to HD all thier Gamecube games like WW instead of releasing them on VC, but sure, ya never know.

I'd doubt that they'd go to those lengths for many of the games, and probably only for their own games only. Could be something to do with the Shadow of the Eternals, Precursor could be looking to include Eternal Darkness as a stretch bonus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yeah, I didnt mean ALL of the GC's b/cat, just the Mario's Zelda's etc.

Hopfully they get the finger out and get them on the VC for €15 each. I dont want N64 games at all on my WiiU for some reason. Maybe at Gamescom they might announce something....

Advertisement