Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emigration and the GAA

• 10-07-2013 6:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

I seen this article today and thought it might be an interesting topic to debate.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/gaa-emigrants-15-kilmovee-shamrocks-984936-Jul2013/

It is a sad sight that many clubs around the country have had their ranks devastated by emigration. However, the heartache of a club/county in losing their best is another's gain. We can see how London have gained in strength in recent years in both codes, making their first provincial final in football and being a top tier hurling county this year. Also in numerous clubs around the world the GAA is the first port of call for many. It gives them a taste of home and networking opportunities to possibly get a job or other supports.

It seems to be both a tragedy and an opportunity that so many are leaving our shores in terms of gaelic games. Anyone else got any first hand experience home or abroad about emigration or anything to add generally?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Sad for people who are forced to leave the country in order to get work, but that's a discussion for the economic or political forums.

I'm glad you also highlighted the positive side of emigration as well, from a GAA point of view.

European, Asian, North American championships etc. just get bigger and bigger.
    Seems everywhere you go in the world there's some sort of Irish support network in place, and as you say, networking opportunities for those who arrive without jobs already lined up.

Gaining experience overseas is invaluable, as is experiencing a new culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Hi

Im currently based in Perth and involved with the Morley Gaels club. From a club perspective we have gone 10 levels ahead in the past 4 years with players as has the WA Championship. We reckon our senior and intermediate teams would hold their own in a lot of championships back at home and in some cases we feel we would be at the top of the pile in some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm just annoyed I didn't make the starting 15.

Advertisement