Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned while the world laughs at us

Options
  • 10-07-2013 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭

Irish rugby has had a rough week or so. The hysteria, hate and vitriol poured on Warren Gatland for dropping O'Driscoll has been seen and commented on all over the rugby playing world. Irish fans have shown themselves to be insular, self obsessed and so insecure that they can only measure the Lions tour in terms of how "our boys" did.

We have incurred the contempt of rugby fans in Wales, Scotland and England, while the rest of the rugby world has watched with a mix of surprise and disappointment. We are after all (until now) seen as the epitome of good tourists. Not any more.

Much of the evidence of this has been on blogs and boards like this. Since the team was announced many contributors in the rugby forum on Boards.ie have contributed to this awful image of Irish rugby. Sadly not only have the moderators shown no sense of responsibility over it, some of them have joined the discussion - not as nastily as some, but nonetheless as parties to the "BOD or nothing" campaign.

I have been one of the few posters to offer a sense of balance but having annoyed one of the moderators (for not being polite enough in poking holes in his argument) I get banned for "being uncivil" - or "a dick".

As far as I can see, I am the only contributor who has been sanctioned.

Not Irish rugby's finest hour. Not Boards.ie's either.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry for the delay, but I am currently on holiday with limited access

Have you discussed the ban with the mod that banned you? That's the first step to take before starting a thread here. If you cannot reach an amicable agreement with the mod please post back here and one of the Sports CMods will have a look at it

I would add a couple of points before you decide whether to proceed with any appeal.

1. Any appeal will consider your posts/actions leading up to the ban. Most of your OP is made up of things that are totally irrelevant to any appeal. Your views on the wider state of Irish rugby and indeed boards.ie are basically off-topic for this thread

2. Any appeal will consider your ban alone and not any perceived "transgressions" by other posters in the Rugby forum. Your primary course of action in respect of any posts you feel fall foul of site or forum rules is to report the posts in question

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay, but I am currently on holiday with limited access

Have you discussed the ban with the mod that banned you? That's the first step to take before starting a thread here. If you cannot reach an amicable agreement with the mod please post back here and one of the Sports CMods will have a look at it

I would add a couple of points before you decide whether to proceed with any appeal.

1. Any appeal will consider your posts/actions leading up to the ban. Most of your OP is made up of things that are totally irrelevant to any appeal. Your views on the wider state of Irish rugby and indeed boards.ie are basically off-topic for this thread

2. Any appeal will consider your ban alone and not any perceived "transgressions" by other posters in the Rugby forum. Your primary course of action in respect of any posts you feel fall foul of site or forum rules is to report the posts in question

Thanks but I wouldn't see much point in discussing it with him. The ban arose because he combined his roles as moderator and contributor and I would consider that a compromised position.

My complaint goes beyond my ban - in fact that is the least of it. A forum runs amok with moderators more interested in sharing their views on the topic than in moderating - until it suits them.

Maybe this doesn't qualify as an "appeal" but it sure as hell needs saying.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your OP can be broken down between an appeal against the ban and comments concerning moderation (and other comments that are absolutely nothing to do with Boards and not up for discussion here)

If you wish to appeal the ban then please say so. Any appeal against the ban is to be discussed in this forum

The rest of your comments are irrelevant for the purposes of this appeal, and more suited to the Help Desk to the extent they relate to moderator actions

Your OP can be broken down between an appeal against the ban and comments concerning moderation (and other comments that are absolutely nothing to do with Boards and not up for discussion here)

If you wish to appeal the ban then please say so. Any appeal against the ban is to be discussed in this forum

The rest of your comments are irrelevant for the purposes of this appeal, and more suited to the Help Desk to the extent they relate to moderator actions

Thanks,
    I'm not bothered about the ban and I'm not interested in starting an anti-moderator campaign.
    If this exchange causes the mod in question to reflect on his own actions it will have been time well spent.
    Otherwise have a nice holiday.

First Up wrote: »
    Thanks,
    I'm not bothered about the ban
    Could this one be marked resolved

Thanks

• Advertisement

Could this one be marked resolved

Thanks

Not how I would put it.

This discussion has been closed.