Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food ideas!

Options
  • 10-07-2013 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Just looking for some breakfast ideas! She's mainly been having fruit or fruity rice or something along those lines but just wondering what else to give?

When can you give where taboo and ready Brek etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

C has been having readybrek since she was about 7 months. It would probably have been before that except I had so much of the baby cereal :) Weetabix totally constipated her so I don't give that anymore, but again tried it about the 7 month mark too. She has toast and fruit some mornings, or on weekends if we're having them pancakes or eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

How old is she? From 6 months they can eat anything. We have eggs - scrambled, boiled, omlett, cottage cheese, weetabix, porridge, toast, pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Ready Brek is great, Lasts ages too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I make up batches of creamed rice pudding & use them for breakfast or lunch. You can add so much to it like jam, maple syrup, fruit etc. so it's nice & versitile, filling & so cheap, I think a bag is around €1.50 & I can get around 12 batches out of it which I freeze & use when needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

weetabix in warm milk. 6 months +

• Advertisement

tony1980 wrote: »
    Ready Brek is great, Lasts ages too!

haha yeah its the best,and cheap if you buy aldis version its nicer and creamier than the branded one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's not advised to give honey before 1 year.

It's not advised to give honey before 1 year.

my guys well over one i may edit that as i didnt know.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I make up batches of creamed rice pudding & use them for breakfast or lunch. You can add so much to it like jam, maple syrup, fruit etc. so it's nice & versitile, filling & so cheap, I think a bag is around €1.50 & I can get around 12 batches out of it which I freeze & use when needed.

Hey Ms2011 that sounds great but im a bit confused! :confused: Do you mean creamed rice as in ambrosia? I thought you could only get it in tins and little pots.:o Would love to know how you do yours and what exactly you buy etc., I would love to be able to freeze them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Usually porridge or egg muffins and toast here, then sometimes a banana. At the weekends we have pancakes, French toast or 'guggy egg' (eggs in a cup!). I'd love to have more variety but my brain doesn't function too well in the mornings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

Egg muffins.. sounds good recipe ? quote="liliq;85471565"]Usually porridge or egg muffins and toast here, then sometimes a banana. At the weekends we have pancakes, French toast or 'guggy egg' (eggs in a cup!). I'd love to have more variety but my brain doesn't function too well in the mornings![/quote]

theLuggage wrote: »
    Hey Ms2011 that sounds great but im a bit confused! :confused: Do you mean creamed rice as in ambrosia? I thought you could only get it in tins and little pots.:o Would love to know how you do yours and what exactly you buy etc., I would love to be able to freeze them.

Thanks

It would be similar to Ambrosia, only much cheaper to make yourself & no additives :-)
    I buy the pudding rice in Lidl ( where the bakery things are), it looks similiar to ordinary rice.
    Add milk & sugar (optional), the instructions are on the back of the packet. Bring to the boil & portion out into individual pots for freezing.
    Then add whatever you want to it to make different breakfast combinations.

skit490 wrote: »
    Egg muffins.. sounds good recipe ?

They're just kind of like muffin shape frittatas...! :)
    I usually use mushrooms, onions, sweet pepper... Some ham/ salmon if there's any in the fridge. Chop them up and put them in to a muffin tin, pour beaten egg in on top and pop into the oven for 15 mins at around 150/180 deg C (I haven't pin pointed my timing yet!)
    Pretty handy to stick on very quickly and leave to cook while dressing the little one(s). They're nice hot or cold so do for lunch later on either

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

From about six months my wee woman will eat porridge, ready brek, weetabix, oatabix, toast, beans and toast or scrambled eggs normally for her brekkie, kinda just whatever we are having ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

liliq wrote: »
    Usually porridge or egg muffins and toast here, then sometimes a banana. At the weekends we have pancakes, French toast or 'guggy egg' (eggs in a cup!). I'd love to have more variety but my brain doesn't function too well in the mornings!

I thought guggy eggs was my mum's special name for eggs in a cup. My childhood innocence is gone!! :D

My little man is nowhere eating solids but I love the pudding rice from Lidl. They also have it in Tesco but I could never find it when I needed it. If anyone is the same it's not in the aisle with the other rice but with the jelly and trifle ingredients.

If any of you are pregnant and suffering from heartburn rice pudding is great for that. It was my go to and it really works. I used to use some tinned coconut milk in it too which is yum. You can make it from normal rice too but you need more milk and to cook it for longer, plus it's not as nice :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I thought guggy eggs was my mum's special name for eggs in a cup. My childhood innocence is gone!! :)

Me too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Pardon my ignorance here but what exactly is a guggy egg?!

cyning wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance here but what exactly is a guggy egg?!

Boiled Eggs mashed in a cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

With butter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

YIKES! :eek: :)

• Advertisement

Rachineire wrote: »
    YIKES! :eek: :)

?!?

ive never heard of that before, or even thought of doing it!

ive never heard of that before, or even thought of doing it!

It's a handy way to get them to eat some protein :)

when is it safe to even give them eggs? Im such a scardey cat about giving my LO foods, im still pureeing everything and have only tried two types of fish with him, not even chicken yet. He is 6 1/2 months :confused:

when is it safe to even give them eggs? Im such a scardey cat about giving my LO foods, im still pureeing everything and have only tried two types of fish with him, not even chicken yet. He is 6 1/2 months :confused:

I started offering eggs a couple of after he started solids, just make sure they're fully cooked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I want a guggy egg now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

When you say milk for ready brek ect do you use cows milk ???

jeni wrote: »
    When you say milk for ready brek ect do you use cows milk ???

After 6 months, yes.

Advertisement