Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellogs- what are they doing to their cereals?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

i've noticed Kellogs appearing on BBC's Watchdog over their change in ingredients to their special K,

but as i don't eat that i never realised how bad they made it,

lately i've started to noticed all their cereals are changing one by one,

Honey Nut Loops were my husbands favorite growing up and we bought them about 3 years ago and he loved them so much, as they are more expensive than the rest they were bought as a treat, my daughter tasted them and loved them too,

more recently his brother warned him that they had changed and sure enough when we bought the most recent pack they are now the colour of an orange highlighter, my husband and his brother both agreed they tasted horrible (different packs), and my daughter has gone back to cheerios/weetabix over choosing them now. Leaving us with a near full box of them.

also if i remember correctly Kellogs used advertise their cornflakes lasted longer in milk than 'cheaper' alternatives before going soggy,

these days i find they are soggy and gloopy before i sit down with my bowl at the table (about 5 seconds of being immersed in milk)

same happens now with frosties, crunchy nut (which i hate when they are soggy)

rice krispies have also started to taste a bit different but im unsure now if paranoia has set in there.

so has anyone else noticed the huge deterioration in cereals by Kellogs lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I noticed the Special K alright - if I were you, buying Honey Nut Loops, I'd be checking the ingredients to see what makes them this bright orange colour. It might be that they've either changed the colouring from natural to unnatural or vice versa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Special K is absolutely horrible. I'll be sticking with Aldi's version from now on. Much nicer (tastes like Special K used to) and about €3 cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katharinewheel

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Honey Nut Loops were my husbands favorite growing up

Honey Nut Loops have dropped the "Nut" part of the cereal. I think they've been just Honey Loops for a little while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Special K is absolutely horrible. I'll be sticking with Aldi's version from now on. Much nicer (tastes like Special K used to) and about €3 cheaper too.

True, and the red berries one is even tastier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Agreed! Special K just tastes incredibly sweet to me now compared to Aldi's version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Slightly OT, but I picked this up from the Health & Fitness forum and found it fascinating.

Kellogg's Corn Flakes were initially invented as a cure for masturbation!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg

If I did ever eat them, this would make me stop. A fascinating, if slightly grotesque, read.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Agreed! Special K just tastes incredibly sweet to me now compared to Aldi's version.

I can't believe how much sweeter it tastes now! Has anybody compared the nutritional info on the old and the new recipes? I don't have an old box but I would be interested to see how they compare calorie and sugar wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Thought I had bought a bad box of it. Special K is horrible now. Much too sweet. Has put me right of it. Couldn't Ben did in the bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

I regularly switch between cereals, I usually go about 3 months on one cereal before I get bored and switch back to another. However up until recently I had stayed on Special K for almost a year.

When I first tasted the new Special K I originally thought that maybe I had been eating them too long and my taste buds were at fault.

Then I did some research because I was sure the Taste was vastly different.

I read that apparently Kelloggs have started putting more Barley in the Special K than before. I think it's an awful move and I reckon they have lost a lot of customers. If you go onto their FaceBook page it's just a constant flow of complaints about the taste.

I reckon they'll change back soon due to customer dissatisfaction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Aldi all the way.

Stick it up your jaxi Kellogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I can't compare it to anything because I can't remember the last time I had a Kellogg's cereal, I have no brand loyalty whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Special K has to be the most decieving product on the market! It's in no way good for you, it's packed with sugar and corn syrup! Tbh if you don't like the new cereals then they have done you a favour!
    The Special K 2 bowls a day diet they advertise is also a joke, and in no way sustainable over a long period!!
    Not trying to rant here, but porridge or eggs for breakfast! Stay away from the highly processed rubbish that is Kellogg's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

christeb wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but I picked this up from the Health & Fitness forum and found it fascinating.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg

If I did ever eat them, this would make me stop. A fascinating, if slightly grotesque, read.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I just followed that link while researching breakfast cereals. Never realised that there was such barbarism in their history.
    Never buying Kellogg's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

christeb wrote: »
    This is absolute BS. Wikipedia should not be treated as gospel. Kellogg himself may have had odd beliefs about sexuality but cor flakes were not originally invented for the purpose of "curing masturbation".

Advertisement