Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water drainage problem on patio in garden

• 10-07-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭

Trying to solve water drainage problem on patio in garden.

I need to re-lay a yellow drainage pipe (see photos).
    - What depth do I need to lay it to?
    - does it need to lie on anything other than soil?
    - covered with what?
    - and is it likely to be sufficient?

The existing yellow pipe runs the width of the house in back garden - the same for all the houses on our strip of semi d's, where the back gardens are on a steep hill draining back down to house.

I dug up pipe during August 2008 floods, when the back patio flooded in 1 hour period and water threatned entering the house. I found it to be full of silt and small stones which had been placed on top of it. In panic, I solved problem by punching rod through and under neighbour's wall on one side and the water drained away. Now that the neighbour is building a new concrete patio, I suspect my temporary solution (i.e water draining away sideways under his wall) is at an end and that I need to relay the pipe properly to ensure water drains downwards, not sideways.

Thanks for advice

bdo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

That pipe is useless for your purpose, what you require is an Acco/storm channel to capture water and pipe it direct to nearest gulley, AJ or Manhole.

Whoever put the pipe in hasn't a clue about how and when such pipes are used. You may as well have a hole in the ground as that yellow pipe:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

If I get you correctly, the pipe in each of your neighbor garden are connected. Is this correct?

Therefore, he is carrying your water away, and your carrying your other neighbors water away. If this is the case, his going to need to maintain this underneath his concrete patio, ideally with an ajay.

Ideally the yellow pipe should be surronded by drainage stones, and if necessary topped off with soil. But in your scenario, a channel suggested as above would be best.

How do your Gulleys from the downpipes perform. You could cut the footpath, and run a pipe into it. But, if you are taking water from your other neighbors, and the pipe is the same there as it is now for you, your gulley might get blocked with silt eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Thanks to you both for your replies.
    Colm R wrote: »
    If I get you correctly, the pipe in each of your neighbor garden are connected. Is this correct? Therefore, he is carrying your water away, and your carrying your other neighbors water away. If this is the case, his going to need to maintain this underneath his concrete patio, ideally with an ajay.
    Yes, you are correct. I will try to get him to maintain this.
    That pipe is useless for your purpose, what you require is an Acco/storm channel to capture water and pipe it direct to nearest gulley, AJ or Manhole.
    OK, I appreciate that you are correct. But it would be a quite a big job - because there is no gulley, AJ or manhole at the end where the yellow pipe is lowest (none on that side of the house). The nearest gully is at where the highest point of the yellow pipe is located - and therefore water would not drain upwards into it.

In any case, I am hamstrung for funds at the moment and I have to do it myself without digging up concrete and laying a pipe. I have dug up and replaced the yellow pipe at a lower depth; I cleared it of any obstruction first, using drainage rods, and covered it with stones. I will have to hope that does the trick for the moment.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why not remove land drain and excavate a deep trench and back fill with coarse rubble and topdress the last 20mm with pea gravel?

The deeper the trench the better the drainage performance. All you need is manpower to dig, < 1 hr with a pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Why not remove land drain and excavate a deep trench and back fill with coarse rubble and topdress the last 20mm with pea gravel?

The deeper the trench the better the drainage performance. All you need is manpower to dig, < 1 hr with a pick.

I'd say he would have to be careful to not go lower than the pipe in his neighbours garden, so that water can continue on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement