Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer system question

Options
  • 10-07-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone knows what happens if I decline my highest priority offer? I got in as a mature student to my nr one choice, however I wan't to go to the college I have as a second choice (I was stupid enough to not realize that I will only get one Level 8 offer). I know I had an offer from second college (they contacted me before) and I know that I can get in as a FETAC student as I have highest possible marks for portfolio and FETAC. So my question is will I get any other offers in other rounds if i decline the first and the best one?
    Thank you for taking time to answer me :)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

If you've been offered your number 1 level 8 choice, you cannot be offered a lower level 8 choice if you decline. You can only be offered a choice higher on your list in subsequent rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 luckyirina

WildRosie wrote: »
    If you've been offered your number 1 level 8 choice, you cannot be offered a lower level 8 choice if you decline. You can only be offered a choice higher on your list in subsequent rounds.

Thanks for the answer.
    So it means there is no way for me to get in to college I want?

I don't think so. See this page on the cao site http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index23.htm it explains it pretty well. Your order of preference is really important to ensure that you have the best chance of getting the course you want. Could you reapply next year if you really don't want the course you've been offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 luckyirina

WildRosie wrote: »
    I don't think so. See this page on the cao site http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index23.htm it explains it pretty well. Your order of preference is really important to ensure that you have the best chance of getting the course you want. Could you reapply next year if you really don't want the course you've been offered?

I'm just absolutely heartbroken... How did I managed to miss that bit of information... :(:(:(
    I knew that I will get into both of the colleges after portfolio scores and thought that I will be able to choose. I can apply next year, but I'm 30 now and I'm just so afraid that this was my last chance... I can go to the college I got an offer from - it's the same course. It's just the college itself didn't connect with me at all. It is basically just my gut feeling that stopping me and the way I felt absolutely ecstatic with the results from one and absolute indifference from the offer from another one...
    I'm so disappointed and confused :( Sorry for putting it up there.

Sorry to hear that Irina. The cao system can be complicated and if you're not a leaving cert student with teachers to guide you it can be difficult to get your head around it.

If it's the same course, could you transfer to the other college after first year? I've no idea if this is possible but you could look into it. Maybe ask the college before you accept the offer? Then again maybe you'll love the college when you go there! Everything happens for a reason and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Wild Rosie is right. If you do 1st year in the less preferred college you can look for a transfer into year two of the other college next year. You would have a decent shot at it seeing as its the same course and they were willing to offer you a first year place.
    You could try to talk to the course director in the preferred college and get a sense of what they would like to see in your work that would help you transfer next year. No harm in asking. :)

Advertisement