Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn - to Water or not in current heat

• 10-07-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

I set my lawn on Saturday week last, just at the beginning of the current dry spell. The seed has taken in some parts but with the dry conditions, most of it has yet to strike. With the forecast for the foreseeable future remaining dry, I'm wondering at what point should I go ahead and water it (heavily, at night of course), to kick it off fully?
    Will this cause problems for the lawn down the line?
    In the past three weeks we've had trace amounts of rain here in Cork, so the soil is pretty dry at this stage.
    All advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As its looking to be dry for the foreseeable I'd be hesitant to start a new lawn at the moment - you're committing yourself to daily heavy waterings in the evenings which is time consuming and giving likely water restrictions kicking in a little irresponsible unless you have your own supply. Plenty of time for the lawn to grow yet, i'd just wait it out until the weather reverts to normal.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Supercell wrote: »
    As its looking to be dry for the foreseeable I'd be hesitant to start a new lawn at the moment - you're committing yourself to daily heavy waterings in the evenings which is time consuming and giving likely water restrictions kicking in a little irresponsible unless you have your own supply. Plenty of time for the lawn to grow yet, i'd just wait it out until the weather reverts to normal.
    Have my own water supply, that's not an issue.
    Will wait a while longer, the seed is rolled in so should be fine under the ground, it's the few parts that have just about emerged that will probably suffer most

Advertisement