Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderdome closure

Options
  • 10-07-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering, why is the Thunderdone being closed?
    I don't post there myself but I do know its a very popular forum and I pop my head in from time to time.
    Fair enough, it may not be everyone's cup of tea but that's the beauty of Boards; if you don't like something then there's another forum nearby that might suit you instead.

I can't help the feeling that this isn't gonna sit well with the regulars of the forum who weren't even consulted about it. It seems like a bad move on the part of the admins when there is clearly better options available to them. Making it private would be the handiest way around it. Why go for full closure?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to agree that its a shame to see it closed, yes it can appear nasty at times but if people don't like it they don't have to go into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't really want to have this discussion in two places (but will if required) - here's the thread on the Dome itself:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056989941

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I often wondered about the point of it. It seemed to be more like a holding area for posters before they got banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

plenty in there who havent been banned

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's been a strange six months for the site. First they came for the Social Groups. Then they came for the home-page. Then they came for the Thunderdome...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here's hoping Feedback is next... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I looked in there after the recent Prison thread about the poster being banned - was a bit surprised at the post in question. I found it a bit disturbing, to be honest. Is a graphic rape threat "dark humour"?

If the post in question was in line with (or even epitomises) what's allowed in the Thunderdome and, then obviously that forum cannot continue as a public forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

plenty in there who havent been banned

But plenty of ex posters that have.
    I think they are on the right track in the other thread about merging the insult thread with another private forum (Nein 11 whatever that is).

I can understand the owners concerns to be fair. Dav mentioned in the recent videos how boards often comes up on google searches. Can you imagine a casual browser getting confronted by that thread while searching for something innocent on the internet?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm pretty sure the Thunderdome doesn't show up in Google searches. You have to be logged in to read it, and the latest posts haven't shown up on the Home Page for years. It's one of those forums that is very difficult to find by accident.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

P_1 wrote: »
    Have to agree that its a shame to see it closed, yes it can appear nasty at times but if people don't like it they don't have to go into it.
    That's all well and good, but surely if Boards Inc considers it nasty why should they feel obliged to continue hosting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dades wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but surely if Boards Inc considers it nasty why should they feel obliged to continue hosting it?

If that's the case then come out and say it rather than tip toeing around.

I'd much rather a post that says "From a corporate perspective, we want to attract advertisers to help pay the bills but the Thunderdome is putting/could put them off" rather than "The Admins feel that it has run its course etc etc".

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's been a strange six months for the site. First they came for the Social Groups. Then they came for the home-page. Then they came for the Thunderdome...

And yet, the Go Ahead Eagles forum lives on :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If that's the case then come out and say it rather than tip toeing around.

I'd much rather a post that says "From a corporate perspective, we want to attract advertisers to help pay the bills but the Thunderdome is putting/could put them off" rather than "The Admins feel that it has run its course etc etc".
    And you think that would have been accepted and everyone would walk off whistling? Hardly.

If that line was trotted out then making the Dome a private forum would be the simple solution. But the fact is Boards isn't comfortable hosting an unmoderated private forum with the sole purpose of continuing in the vein of the Dome. So what you've suggested doesn't reflect the full reality, which has been agonised over for some time by the admins and HQ. Change has to happen, and unless someone comes up with something good we haven't already considered, the mothballing will happen.

Tip-toeing is pointless and backlash was inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

<Stares into distance>

A dark day is coming, a very dark day indeed...

*moody face*

Could someone find Amp and hold him.

There is some nasty things being said on the Dome. While they may be intended as fun or banter in a closed environment we have to consider the outside world. Imagine a newspaper article about boards that quotes some of the Dome posts for example.
    It should be born in mind that increasingly (particularly in UK and Merica) the authorities are looking at what is deemed to be hate speech on the internet. What would a misogynist post about aggravated rape look like should it ever come to light? I have even heard of cases in Ireland where web sites have been contacted by the Guards for extreme racist posts on discussion forums. The defence 'sure twas just a bit of craic' doesn't generally wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There is some nasty things being said on the Dome. While they may be intended as fun or banter in a closed environment we have to consider the outside world. Imagine a newspaper article about boards that quotes some of the Dome posts for example.
    It should be born in mind that increasingly (particularly in UK and Merica) the authorities are looking at what is deemed to be hate speech on the internet. What would a misogynist post about aggravated rape look like should it ever come to light? I have even heard of cases in Ireland where web sites have been contacted by the Guards for extreme racist posts on discussion forums. The defence 'sure twas just a bit of craic' doesn't generally wash.

Yep, here's that dark day coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

And you think that would have been accepted and everyone would walk off whistling? Hardly.

If that line was trotted out then making the Dome a private forum would be the simple solution. But the fact is Boards isn't comfortable hosting an unmoderated private forum with the sole purpose of continuing in the vein of the Dome. So what you've suggested doesn't reflect the full reality, which has been agonised over for some time by the admins and HQ. Change has to happen, and unless someone comes up with something good we haven't already considered, the mothballing will happen.

Hold on a minute. Who said anything about it being unmoderated?

I've already said I'd be willing to moderate a private/non public forum. I'd like to think I have proven myself enough on the site at this stage to be considered a trustable enough guy for the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Slidey wrote: »

I've already said I'd be willing to moderate a private/non public forum. I'd like to think I have proven myself enough on the site at this stage to be considered a trustable enough guy for the job

+1.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The problem is: to what standard do you moderate it?

If you allow what is already being posted in the 'dome to continue to be posted, why bother moderating it? If you don't allow what's currently being posted, why bother having the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sacksian wrote: »
    I looked in there after the recent Prison thread about the poster being banned - was a bit surprised at the post in question. I found it a bit disturbing, to be honest. Is a graphic rape threat "dark humour"?

If the post in question was in line with (or even epitomises) what's allowed in the Thunderdome and, then obviously that forum cannot continue as a public forum.

The thing about the dome is thst it's not like a similar comment on another forum. By dint of being in the dome you explicitly put yourself up for anything goes commentsband waive the right to be offended.

Thats not my thing so I avoid it, but it's basically a contract between consenting posters as it were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think (though Dades is free to correct) that Dades meant that the forum itself is unmoderated in the sense that there are little to no rules. It's much more of an 'anything goes' forum than any other forum on Boards.

That was my interpretation anyway. I seriously doubt anyone was doubting your ability to be a moderator of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I've just discovered this thread now, I hadn't realised it was being discussed here too. I've expressed my thoughts on the decision to potentially close it aptly, I think, over on the thread in the Thunderdome, so I'll try and briefly sum it up here. I'd advise anyone, who hasn't already, to read the 'feedback' thread over in the dome if you want a more nuanced and complete picture on why the users of the dome believe it should continue to exist, even as a private forum, if needs be.

The dome is about a decade old at this stage. It's developed into a forum where a close-knit group of posters consentualy abuse each other in the most heinous way possible. The key to the dome is to try and raise a laugh. Most of the posters in the dome are good friends, and share a common dark sense of humour, where we find extremely offensive insults against one another to be hilarious. There is absolutely no malice or ill-will intended by any of the posters of the dome. We've no interest in offending anyone not 'in the game'. That's why there is a very clear opt out clause, which, to my knowledge once implemented, has never been disregarded.

No one in the dome is asking the admins, or any other users, who find the humour distasteful to suddenly find it funny. If after a decade, it no longer fits with boards corporate and sterile image, then fair enough, let us hide out in one of the hidden dark corners, like all of the social forums, and dark humour, and republican and extreme libertarian forums.

I was shocked that the decision to close the forum was taken without even the slightest consultation with the forum regulars, however, I am encouraged by the engagement I've seen so far by The Sweeper in the thread I started in the dome. I hope that the admins will take stock of what the forum means to its core of regular posters, and many readers, and come to some compromise, rather than take the draconian step to simply abolish a popular, lively and entertaining forum, just because it falls outside their threshold of what is humour.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

FWIW I've lurked in the 'dome as well, never posted. My fragile ego wouldn't be able for it and my responses would be limited to f*** you and the likes (I think someone said something similar in the dome thread).
    The first time I spotted the dome was a WTF moment, then I read the charter and 'got it'. I think it's a shame to drop the forum despite the supposed limited traffic, and that making it private is the best option.
    I was surprised to see Yitzhak in prison recently for a dome post (ban rightly rescinded) and can't help but feel this has caused the planned shutdown. Hopefully the admins will look after the domers.

I never said that. What it would do is present an honest platform with which to base a discussion.

Saying the Thunderdome has "run its course" and should be closed for that reason is nonsense when I can name at least three forums off the top of my head with next to no traffic that are still seeing the light of day.

That bolded line in itself would have made a difference to what was a terrible OP in the thread -
    After much admin discussion, as well as feedback from the mod team, we don't think there's a place for the Thunderdome here on boards any longer. This post is just to let you know in advance that we'll be shutting it down once the regular users have a chance to read this.

No reason, no explanation, nothing. That's your problem right there; a serious lack of communication skills from whoever signed off on that wording.

There's a balance though which could have been found to show a small bit of courtesy to the community.

To be fair though, at least the mistake was recognised and hands were eventually held up.

The dome is dear to those involved, and those not involved who lurk.

I lurked there from time to time and always got the humour, it is offensive, funny and amazingly creative.

Any allegations that can be levelled at the dome can be levelled at a number of other forums on the site. For each vice that it has I'd wager that there is a worse culprit. It's very existence is a beacon for common sense over political correctness.

Make it private if you want, but please let it continue in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I lurked there from time to time and always got the humour, it is offensive, funny and amazingly creative.

Creative seems kind, amazingly creative seems extremely kind.
    Any allegations that can be levelled at the dome can be levelled at a number of other forums on the site. For each vice that it has I'd wager that there is a worse culprit. It's very existence is a beacon for common sense over political correctness.

Make it private if you want, but please let it continue in some way.

Sounds somewhat interesting, as Joseph Conrad would say, the more you justify your existence, the more you bore everybody else.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Creative seems kind, amazingly creative seems extremely kind.

Sounds somewhat interesting, as Joseph Conrad would say, the more you justify your existence, the more you bore everybody else.

I wasnt a poster in it so I wasnt justifying anything. Used to lurk every now and again, saw the thread about closure on my home page so dropped in. Shocked at what was happening :(:(

Though I do recognise I may have gone overboard in praising it the point stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I've never posted their but have had a look in a few times and I am totally against this. My reason being that today its Thunderdome, tomorrow it could be nien 11 because that's risqué, then it could be legal discussions or one of the health forums. It sets a bad precedence.

Dull as dishwater Thursday here in work so I popped into the insult thread to see what's been going down. Reading from here on, I've been laughing away to myself for the last few minutes at the clever comebacks and put downs.

The dome offers plenty, and not just to those that post there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here's hoping Feedback is next... :pac:
    Remember when feedback was moderated by nothing more than cats?

Advertisement