Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The English tabloid conundrum

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

~Rebel~ wrote:
    at the same time i think its only natural for some residual effect of that to be carried on, in a bit of (generally not particularly bad natured) competition and the wish to see them failing at something where noone dies, they just look a bit silly.

good post

How would you explain the booing (by a small minority) during the minute's silence for the London bomb victims at the Ulster football final?

Would the same have happened for a minute's silence for say, the Madrid victims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Therefore my question is - why the hell do so many Irish people buy these tabloids?

maybe because they are cheaper........

also......I read the indo everyday (as it's free in my bus station) and every night when I go home the sun is there for me to read (my dad buys it) and most of the same stories are in the sun that are in the indo (same news)...but in the sun the sport pages are better than in the indo if you ask me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    good post

How would you explain the booing (by a small minority) during the minute's silence for the London bomb victims at the Ulster football final?

Would the same have happened for a minute's silence for say, the Madrid victims?

because there are still some horifically stupid small minded insensitive people out there. In 1st post I was just answering for the greater majority why we do often have this hidden urge to see england fail at stuff in a generally not TOO serious manner. booing at a silence for bomb victims goes way beyond this.

I dont know whether the same would happen in Madrid, i guess maybe it actually could if there were some particularly stupid catalan's there or something, but i dont know how bad they're relationship really is.. I guess in every country you'll have some very close minded individuals who get an idea like "lets boo at the silence" and run with it without actually thinking about the human consequences of each victim and they're families. Stupid, but thankfully a great minority who would probably be ashamed of themselves should they ever meet one of these victims families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

When it come to the England team I have to say I don't have any ill-will towards them. In fact if they were playing lets say NornIron I'd probably even be rooting for them.

That said tho I have to admit I did cheer wildy when they lost 2-1 to France last year but that was only because I like France (the team not the country) and because the match had such an exciting ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Pigman II wrote:
    When it come to the England team I have to say I don't have any ill-will towards them. In fact if they were playing lets say NornIron I'd probably even be rooting for them.

A lot of Irish Celtic fans found themselves in an impossible dilemma earlier this year when England played Northern Ireland. Which was the lesser of two evils?

I believe a lot of them were shouting for England. I wonder which team their hero, Martin O'Neill, was shouting for?

They wear green, they've got Ireland in their name. That's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

~Rebel~ wrote:
    we kind of see sport as an extension of war. Its competition, battling, sure even the way its described with strikers being touted as "firepower". Now in war do you really have a problem with the people on the other side? no, you're fighting the overall establishment of the other Nation.

I'm kinda on the same lines as you except I see international sport as a replacement to war (by which I mean traditonal war not modern war) not an extention of it.

After all there seems to be a correlation between the time when Western nations switched from wearing 'national colours' on the battlefield to camoflague and the advent of coded international team sports. It's as tho the 'spirit and straightforwardness of tradtional warfare (ie two sides in different colours meeting half way on a big green field - sound familiar?) was transferred to the sporting pitch.

Advertisement