Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog left in car

• 10-07-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,

A neighbouring work employee has just left their small dog in their car. I'm not sure if she is planning on keeping the dog in there all day as I overheard her telling the dog she would not be long and she told work colleagues she planned on bringing the dog for a walk at lunch time. Just wondering how long is ok to keep a dog locked in a car on a day like today?!:mad::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi,

A neighbouring work employee has just left their small dog in their car. I'm not sure if she is planning on keeping the dog in there all day as I overheard her telling the dog she would not be long and she told work colleagues she planned on bringing the dog for a walk at lunch time. Just wondering how long is ok to keep a dog locked in a car on a day like today?!:mad::eek:

Not long. It's a furnace in mine - even for sausages my dog would not get into it yesterday - the steering wheel was red hot when I eventually coaxed ( lifted) her in after 20 minutes of procrastinating with the booth and all 4 doors open . Should tell her not to - tell her to hide it under her desk instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If she started at 9.00 and lunch is at 13.00 that is far too long in this heat. I would point out to her that dogs are dying in cars daily at present. Leave the dog at home with plenty of water or leave in a doggie day center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's not okay at all for any length of time! That car is going to be like an oven on a day like today, even with a window left open. Try and find the owner and tell her she needs to get the dog out now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

There was a YouTube video posted recently with an American vet who locked himself into the car in a hot day in the shade with the windows ajar for 20 minutes -the thermostat went up to 40'c . dogs can't sweat so they just keep getting hitter & hitter until they overheat , get sick, pass out and die : (

Tell her to take it out - even tied to a bush in the shade with a bowl of water is kinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hi,

That dog is at risk of dying if left there. You should report her. I wouldnt even leave mine for 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

im boiling up in my house with just shorts on,that dog is in serious danger

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

There was a YouTube video posted recently with an American vet who locked himself into the car in a hot day in the shade with the windows ajar for 20 minutes -the thermostat went up to 40'c . dogs can't sweat so they just keep getting hitter & hitter until they overheat , get sick, pass out and die : (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Hi,

If you know the person then tell her to get the dog out of the car now. Tell her if you see the dog locked in like that again you will call the ISPCA and have the dog rescued, If she refuses to do this then go to car, smash the window to get the dog out then call the ISPCA :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Is the car in the sun, or in the shade?

Are the windows open?

Does the dog have access to water in the car?

In the OP you don't say, but if, for example, the car is parked in the shade with the windows open, the dog won't cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Hi,

First question, is the car parked in the shade?
    Are the windows fully open?
    Is the boot open?
    Is there a reflective sunshade in the windows?
    Is there a cooling fan in the car? (that clips onto a crate)
    Has the dog water?
    Is the dog obviously panting? (Barking is not enough of an indicator of stress) On a day like this I'd be surprised if not.

If the answer to any of these is no (apart from panting!), then the dog should not be in with her today. Any other day on a cool day, no problem (provided there's a good reason to bring the dog in, e.g. working dog etc, not bringing a general pet in with them just for the fun of it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

don't tell her anything, break the car window, get the dog out and ring the ISPCA. That woman clearly isn't responsible enough to be in charge of a dog.

Weather like this if you're not in the car yourself then the dog shouldn't be either.

wexie wrote: »
    don't tell her anything, break the car window, get the dog out and ring the ISPCA. That woman clearly isn't responsible enough to be in charge of a dog.

Weather like this if you're not in the car yourself then the dog shouldn't be either.

And don't go breaking the car window, you'll be done for criminal damage especially if the dog is not actually in distress. If the dog is in distress and she's not dealing with it or bringing him home, you have the option to call the Gardai and they'll deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

:( The car is in the shade and the window is open...I don't know the person at all...just overheard and know she works next door to where I live. This places me in an awkward position as she is an employee of my landlord...she just came out to check on the dog so the next time she is out I will offer her to leave the dog in my house for the day

:( The car is in the shade and the window is open...I don't know the person at all...just overheard and know she works next door to where I live. This places me in an awkward position as she is an employee of my landlord...she just came out to check on the dog so the next time she is out I will offer her to leave the dog in my house for the day

All windows open? or just one open a crack?
    It is an awkward one, and you need to be absolutely certain that the dog is actually in distress before saying anything rather than assuming the dog is in distress just because it's in the car.
    If she's happy the car is cool and will be kept cool and the dog is not showing any signs of distress, then I'd leave it to her judgement if she's checking on the temp regularly. If the dog is not in distress, then I'd keep a discrete eye on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please please do something about this now!! There has been several incidents of dogs dying in cars over the last few days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jkwxez12yrdgbq

This is very dangerous for the dog. Even with the window open and the car in the shade, the dog is at risk of overheating. We have had several dogs brought into us in the last few days suffering from heat stroke and dehydration as a result of them being out in the heat for too long. She will need to take the dog out of her car and provide it with plenty of fresh water and a small amount of food.

Spoke to her work colleagues who assured me the dog is fine, has water, windows are open and air con is on...the worker will only be another hour so the dog wont be in the car all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Spoke to her work colleagues who assured me the dog is fine, has water, windows are open and air con is on...the worker will only be another hour so the dog wont be in the car all day

Sorry but the air con wont work unless she has left her car running all day which i suspect isnt the case... plus air con wont work with the window open...

Personally I would call the ISPCA

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jkwxez12yrdgbq

In this heat, even ten minutes is too long to leave the dog alone in the car. As previous poster said, air con won't work if the window is open and/or if the car is not running. Please advise her to bring her dog to a vet for a health check as she may not instantly recognise some symptoms of dehydration or stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thanks to tips from posters here I got my dog to the vet yesterday with all windows down and damp towels for her and me in the back of the car. Granted she wasnt well but even in a moving vehicle for 20 mins she was still panting. I couldnt wait to get her into the air again - this heat will kill a dog in a stationery car - I hope her pet is ok, it's 28c here at the moment.

• Advertisement

I can't really do anymore...I have voiced my concern and have offered my house to leave the dog but if she wants to leave her dog in the car that is her choice. I will not call the ISPCA as I do not want to create a scene when her boss is my landlord!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Sorry, but you are concerned enough to post on here, but not concerned enough to 'create a scene'?? how will you feel if the dog ends up dead or seriously ill?? If it were me, and the window was open I would just stick my hand in, open the door, take the dog out and leave her a note telling her the dog is in your home. When she comes to collect the dog tell her that if you see the dog left in the car again for hours or in this heat you will be phoning the ISPCA. I don't know how you can stand by and let the poor dog cook in a furnace! Sit in a car yourself for 20 mins, even with the windows open and see how it feels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

`Fair play OP you're doing all you can. Do you know what breed the dog is? Shorter nosed dogs e.g pugs/boxers etc will have a much harder time keeping cool. As mentioned above i dont know how the air con is working if the car is turned off.

True story, 2 years ago a guy left his 2 Dogue de Bordeauxs in his car (windows slightly ajar) on a hot day. He came back to 2 dead dogs 20mins later after both dying from heat induced heart failure.

Ok she took the dog for a walk and she has now left the office for the day (with the dog)...I will keep an eye out tomorrow as I think the weather is forecast to be good all week, and if she brings the dog and leaves him there again I will make her aware of the dangers and advise she leaves the dog with me in my house or else tied on a leash in the shade (she is parked in a secure parking lot). Thanks all for your advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,320 ✭✭✭✭endacl

anniehoo wrote: »
    `Fair play OP you're doing all you can. Do you know what breed the dog is? Shorter nosed dogs e.g pugs/boxers etc will have a much harder time keeping cool. As mentioned above i dont know how the air con is working if the car is turned off.

True story, 2 years ago a guy left his 2 Dogue de Bordeauxs in his car (windows slightly ajar) on a hot day. He came back to 2 dead dogs 20mins later after both dying from heat induced heart failure.

True. Ex's sister came back to a comatose terrier after 15 minutes in the shops about 10 years ago. Little fella never woke up and died about an hour later in a vet's surgery. Wasn't as hot as today. A car is like a greenhouse with all those big windows.

Its a pug puppy so I'm aware they have notoriously bad hearts! :( neighbours pug died at 7 weeks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,265 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You can't say you didn't warn her OP

Its horrific for the dog, but if their owner is a selfish imbecile and the poor thing dies, then its the outcome the owner deserves, if not the dog themselves....

If she hasnt listened and it does become ill or die from her neglect later, report it to the Guards and the Society........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The OP is in a really awkward position. They have done everything that they can do and I can fully understand that they don't want to fall out with their landlord and risk a possible eviction. It's all very well for us to criticise but we aren't in the OP's position. Calling the ISPCA isn't an option at this point as they've lost their anonymity. There is only so much that a person can do, which is why most people, my self included choose to remain anonymous when we report animal neglect or abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,320 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Maybe if they gave an indication as to make and model? And where it's parked?

Some good samaritan...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Surely you couldn't be evicted for this? It's got nothing to do with your tenancy. The fact that your landlord is her boss should be irrelevant?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement