Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog left in car

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Its a pug puppy so I'm aware they have notoriously bad hearts! :( neighbours pug died at 7 weeks)

Pugs have breathing problems at the best of times.
    Really, I'd be getting that dog out of there due to the heat - apart from the being left alone issue, which is a very big one for pugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Thanks Endacl but the car was in private parking...she has left now for the day I think, so hopefully she will leave the poor pup at home tomorrow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

endacl wrote: »
    Maybe if they gave an indication as to make and model? And where it's parked?

Some good samaritan...?

+1
    Is this dog in the Dublin area?
    Thanks Endacl but the car was in private parking...she has left now for the day I think, so hopefully she will leave the poor pup at home tomorrow!
    Glad to hear it - that poor dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

anniehoo wrote: »
    `Fair play OP you're doing all you can.
    Really? Seems to me more like the bare minimum, especially in light of the story you just quoted.

Personally I would have to intervene, and causing a scene be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

All, the owner and dog have now gone...the dog was left in the car for a minimum of 2 hours which is not really acceptable (I am not sure what time she arrived this morning).
    I would have no qualms about discussing this with her tomorrow if she does the same... as someone said it should have no bearing on the fact her boss is also my landlord and I'm sure most people would understand concern for any animal left inside a car in hot conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would advise that if you see her with the dog tomorrow offer to take it into your house, stating that dogs die very quickly in cars in weather like this. If she refuses then I would tell her that I would feel obligated to call the ISPCA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Is it a requirement to leave your name with the ISPCA or something?.... Surely an anonymous phone call would suffice here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think leaving a dog in a car for 5 minutes is fine. Like, pull up to a spar (or what ever) and in and out. Any amount of time, even 30 minutes is cruel. Especially in this heat.

But I guess, even if it was bitter cold outside the poor animal might get freaked out after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You can't say you didn't warn her OP

Its horrific for the dog, but if their owner is a selfish imbecile and the poor thing dies, then its the outcome the owner deserves, if not the dog themselves....

If she hasnt listened and it does become ill or die from her neglect later, report it to the Guards and the Society........

But I thought she hasn't said anything to the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Saw this on facebook the other day. Call the Gardai

969000_10151448808371594_318530389_n.jpg

• Advertisement

I would be really cheeky and go one step further and print off that flyer and pop it through the letterbox of the office she works in, with the 'call 999' underlined, thereby making it very clear that if she does it again what the repercussions will be. Disgraceful, utterly disgraceful way to treat your pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well, yesterday a dog was left in a car for over 90 mins. Window slighty opened. Poor dog was panting and jumping at everyone who went over.

Garda and Ispca could do nothing.

Here is the thing, the car is the owner of a dog walking company based in Dublin. Their name printed all over the van including there number.

Tried calling the number, no answer. To think this is how they treat there own dog, assuming its there's.

Some people are stupid but for someone who works with dogs for a living it's unbelievable.

I've pics and video of the van. Will not post for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Well, yesterday a dog was left in a car for over 90 mins. Window slighty opened. Poor dog was panting and jumping at everyone who went over.

Here is the thing, the car is the owner of a dog walking company based in Dublin. Their name printed all over the van including there number.

Tried calling the number, no answer. To think this is how they treat there own dog, assuming its there's.

Some people are stupid but for someone who works with dogs for a living it's unbelievable.

I've pics and video of the van. Will not post for obvious reasons.

I appreciate that you can't just post those details on Boards because of legal implications for Boards, but if that company was looking after my dog I'd bloody well want to know!!!

Mods /admins: is there any way these details can be shared without getting Boards into trouble? (or Uncle Bill). This obviously relates directly to this company's business practices and these are living creatures this company looks after. It's not like exposing dodgy plumbing practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,320 ✭✭✭✭endacl

wexie wrote: »
    Mods /admins: is there any way these details can be shared without getting Boards into trouble? (or Uncle Bill). This obviously relates directly to this company's business practices and these are living creatures this company looks after. It's not like exposing dodgy plumbing practice?
    I doubt it. There's no way of demonstrating whether the dog was there for 10 minutes or 10 hours. Why don't you send a pm if want to know? That's a conversation, not a publication.

Why am I not surprised? Animal protection laws in this country are a joke and if the gardai do manage to prosecute often the judiciary make a mockery of the process by handing down laughable 'punishments'. It really is sickening.

I doubt it. There's no way of demonstrating whether the dog was there for 10 minutes or 10 hours. Why don't you send a pm if want to know? That's a conversation, not a publication.

In the current heat even 10 mins is too long and someone who works with animals and supposedly has animal welfare as a concern should well know that. I would be appalled and kicking up a right fuss if I discovered someone who was paid to be responsible for my beloved pet was behaving in such a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,320 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Little Ted wrote: »
    In the current heat even 10 mins is too long and someone who works with animals and supposedly has animal welfare as a concern should well know that. I would be appalled and kicking up a right fuss if I discovered someone who was paid to be responsible for my beloved pet was behaving in such a way.
    You appear to have missed my point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well it was 90 mins. Four people standing there witnessing it.

We all called the number. She called one of us back later that night but they did not answer the call.

One of those there has posted a pic on Facebook and a number of people send her an email. Not sure if they done it annoumous or if they got a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wexie wrote: »
    Mods /admins: is there any way these details can be shared without getting Boards into trouble? (or Uncle Bill).
    PM each other....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Considering how hot it was yday, I'm assuming the dog is now dead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Considering how hot it was yday, I'm assuming the dog is now dead.

Please desist from the histrionics. The dog spent two hours in the car, was attended to by the owner, and op is good enough to speak to the owner today if necessary.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Little Ted wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised? Animal protection laws in this country are a joke and if the gardai do manage to prosecute often the judiciary make a mockery of the process by handing down laughable 'punishments'. It really is sickening.

Exactly. They wait until its too late to intervene. There is no deterrent for this type of behaviour. People know they will get away with it. A slap on the wrist at best.

Disgusting, even ten minutes is too long.

Glad the dog is ok though.

Some vegan chick is locking herself in a car for 10-15 minutes around Stephens Green today with the windows up for a photo op to try raise awareness and get people to not leave their dogs in the car. She was on Darcy earlier talking about it.

gimmick wrote: »
    Some vegan chick is locking herself in a car for 10-15 minutes around Stephens Green today with the windows up for a photo op to try raise awareness and get people to not leave their dogs in the car. She was on Darcy earlier talking about it.

Is she going to wear a fur coat and block all ways of sweating except through the soles of her feet? :D

Nope. Nikked. Kinda hot (pardon the pun) too

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

gimmick wrote: »
    Nope. Nikked. Kinda hot (pardon the pun) too
    <snip>
    <snip>:rolleyes: They kill more animals in their shelters than any other animal welfare organisation in America and are despised for it by many shelters over there. Shameless publicity whoors:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Ah yeah, we have their counterpart in Ireland too. Sickening.

You appear to have missed my point...

Appearances can be deceptive. I did not miss your point, but I think you missed mine.

My point is that the length of time the dog was left is irrelevant. For someone who works with animals and takes money from their owners to take care of these pets, any amount of time locked in a car was too long. It shouldn't have happened end of. There is no excuses for what a dog walker did - they should have known better given their job.

unclebill98, I hope the photos get all over social media. That person has no business making money from animals they clearly have no respect for. If I see that photo circulating facebook I sure as hell will be emailing the business owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Its on FB have seen it several times today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Link?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement