Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly brothers beaten to death during botched burglary in Castlebar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The two brothers were harmless as well and well known around town, I hope that this is a big wake up call for the town, most people know the element that perpetuated this and have been running rough shot around the town, I can see retaliations and reprisals against them for this, seeing that the Gardai have a proven record of not doing anything here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There needs to be more liberal gun laws and the death penalty in Ireland. The scum responsible even if caught will get an 8 to 10 year manslaughter charge at best. There is no justice in Ireland and if someone did this to my parents or grandparents I'd make certain that those responsible were tracked down and made suffer. **** until the government changes things in Ireland it will be left to the people to try defend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Shocking news....especially when it happens in the middle of a busy town no matter what time of night it is.

Pity they didn't have a gun and blow these animal scum out through the window. Makes my blood boil this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MOD NOTE - Don't speculate as to who the people involved in this are please. Police haven't released the names of the 2 men yet and don't name or indicate who may have committed the offences.

Any mention will be given immediate and long bans.

Gardai and judges have shown to be totally inept, these robberies are going on for months and the gardai have nothing. Now it has escalated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

imho Gardai and judges do their best, but there are some legal constraints

A few suggestions

1. Everybody should be obliged to carry an identity card and produce it on demand

2 . Everybody should be obliged to account for their movements to Gardai

3. Bail provisions to be tightened up - this may involve having High court revisit the issue

4. Finger prints should be recorded on driving licences an d on a central database - I presume a data base of these would be searchable by computer

5. Anyb ody convicted of any robbery or other offence involving violence be obliged to have a tracker device attached for at least five years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Without having to ban myself with this statement, but these are untouchables, have no respect for the anyone and this is going to get very dirty going by the various social media.

yop wrote: »
    Without having to ban myself with this statement, but these are untouchables, have no respect for the anyone and this is going to get very dirty going by the various social media.

I am sure a lot of peoples Facebook news feeds make for interesting reading today, never seen so many people riled up in the town, the treats are getting more and more aggressive and sinister.

Xenji wrote: »
    I am sure a lot of peoples Facebook news feeds make for interesting reading today, never seen so many people riled up in the town, the treats are getting more and more aggressive and sinister.

Its unusually aggressive but as said already there are incidents on an almost daily basis now, so people are pushed too far.
    All it will take it a lad full of dutch courage and who knows what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Remember the men being around town all my childhood, saw one of them at the weekend coming out of JC's. Mental news to hear, especially since I was cycling past the house early this morning and didn't notice anything at all. Hopefully the CCTV can catch what has happened here. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Remember the men being around town all my childhood, saw one of them at the weekend coming out of JC's. Mental news to hear, especially since I was cycling past the house early this morning and didn't notice anything at all. Hopefully the CCTV can catch what has happened here. RIP

plenty of CCTV in the area, welcome inn , rockys , coxs . Should be easy to see who done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

irishgeo wrote: »
    plenty of CCTV in the area, welcome inn , rockys , coxs . Should be easy to see who done it.

Exactly, Cox's have cameras pointing down towards the lights, the Welcome Inn have cameras looking out towards Pontoon and towards the house, their is also Castlebar CCTV located in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Apparently the person was caught on cctv, he also walked down past the constituency office.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Apparently the person was caught on cctv, he also walked down past the constituency office.

RTE reporting an arrest.

RMDrive wrote: »
    RTE reporting an arrest.

Hope they caught the right person.

He has not been charged yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

I hope so too. I just can't get my head around how anyone could do such a cowardly and despicable thing to two innocent elderly people.

After the news broke today, I heard so many people (both young and old) in Castlebar talk about they've become much more cautious about going about their business in town, particularly after dark, in recent years because of incidents of violence. It's sad really, because it's a great town with great people.

This comment from the local garda superintendent was published in the Connaught recently: 'nobody should be afraid to walk the streets of the town at any time. Nobody will be allowed to hold Castlebar under seige in any respect'. http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/latest-news/3794-families-involved-in-criminality-not-being-resettled-here

Regardless of of where the trouble-makers come from, and today's tragedy aside, the reality is that people are afraid, and have been for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

this makes my blood boil. the culprits should be locked up for good, have the living sh1te kicked out of them every day, and before they die shot in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

This comment from the local garda superintendent was published in the Connaught recently: 'nobody should be afraid to walk the streets of the town at any time. Nobody will be allowed to hold Castlebar under seige in any respect'. http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/latest-news/3794-families-involved-in-criminality-not-being-resettled-here

Regardless of of where the trouble-makers come from, and today's tragedy aside, the reality is that people are afraid, and have been for quite some time.

That's from 2 weeks age :eek: and then this happens.

WTF - are the guards not sufficiently resourced (ERU, detectives, trained to an inch of their abilities) to deal with (potential) trouble makers in the first instance? :mad:

Seems the 26 year old was only out of prison, quelle surprise eh!!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspect-in-murder-of-brothers-just-out-of-prison-29411893.html

• Advertisement

Seems the 26 year old was only out of prison, quelle surprise eh!!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspect-in-murder-of-brothers-just-out-of-prison-29411893.html

No surprise there then. A bit of Texas law needs to be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭gigantic09

We had our own "eye for an eye" justice system which went out of vogue in the 50's.The death penalty was removed from law as recent as 1990,and the constitution doesn't allow for it to be reintroduced.It's not cool for a 'civilized society' any more.Unfortunately society is far from civilized.It's rotten from the top down to the vermin that carried out that act in Castlebar. Official reports say that crime is lowering despite resources decreasing all the time.This is a fallacy of the highest order.It's time That this topic was brought to the front of the the political debate.What's the use getting our economy back on track if we cant have the basic right to be safe in our own homes.

Reports now coming out that one of the men was attacked a month or so ago and urinated on...WTF! - Frighting such sub human creatures live in this country.

The biggest mistake this country ever made was getting rid of the death penalty.
    In the same week a scumbag got 3 1/2 years for the murder of Journalist Eugene Moloney in Dublin, a guy (with previous convictions) caught robbing a store and attacking the employee in the USA got sent down for 25 years.

We have and will have a few referendums in Ireland, one to introduce tougher sentences has to be a priority - It baffles me that nobody tackles this.

we dont have the prison space to start sending people prison for long terms like the do in the USA.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

we dont have the prison space to start sending people prison for long terms like the do in the USA.

...and we most certainly don't want to. America has more people in prison than anywhere else on earth, including China. It doesn't make America a safer place.

I understand that the instinctive reaction to a horrific incident like this is one of anger, but it's rare indeed that an intelligent decision is made in anger.

If we're going to learn from anyone, it should be Norway, who showed their true character by treating Anders Breivik like any other murderer, and refusing to allow his evil actions to make them less civilised.

There are problems with justice and policing in this country; no question. I'm not convinced that we should try to solve those problems by killing more people, or putting more people at risk of being killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Really ?
    Let re offenders with no chance of patrol share cells , fill them up to the last ,
    and cut spending in them .
    You think the EU wouldnt allow this , human rights and all that ?
    Look at prisons in two European G8 Nations , Italy and France prisons there designed for 1500 holding 2000 convicts .

Im saying multiple re offenders with no remorse or sign of reforming should be treated differently , a harsh way

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Things will never change.........there are too many from the top down on the make,free legal aid for this and that (even if you had hundreds of convictions already we will pay for you!!!).Bring back the chain gangs,there is endless amounts of work to do in the community,make the culprits wear fluorescent clothing,feed them basic rations and do not pamper them with sky TV etc in their cells.Unfortunately the legal system and those who run it live on another planet and are so out of touch with grass roots level it is quite frightening.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ethical wrote: »
    Bring back the chain gangs,there is endless amounts of work to do in the community,make the culprits wear fluorescent clothing,feed them basic rations and do not pamper them with sky TV etc in their cells.
    Why?

Edit, just incase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

24 hours must be nearly up ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement