Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly brothers beaten to death during botched burglary in Castlebar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

he sounds like one sick dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

24 hours must be nearly up ?

They have extended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They are up in full force at the lake at the moment, looks like the murder weapon could of been disposed of there, about 20 cops and a few CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Xenji wrote: »
    They are up in full force at the lake at the moment, looks like the murder weapon could of been disposed of there, about 20 cops and a few CSI.

Yeah seen them up there. Bit surreal seeing a finger tip search going on. It's normally something you see on the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

That is sick. I read the whole thing for the first time in the link to the Indo a page back..

One was trying to get away out the back? And the F*****g scum went after him too..
    One of the brothers was urinated on a month ago????? :eek::eek::mad::mad:

How the f**k does that happen? Does anyone know who did that?

This whole story is horrific.

It's a pity more folk didn't know about the urinating incident a month ago. I'm presuming they didn't, as i would have walked him to the Garda Station, and stood by him for the complaint, explaining to him that he wouldn't have to appear in Court.

Maybe I'm babbling out of anger.
    Hope the scum that did it get caught, and suffer.

Prison is not suffering. They petition for rights that they shouldn't have. It is a joke of a system.
    The death penalty should be reintroduced when there is 100% proof and zero possibility of anybody else having commited the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

So looks like the Gardai have their man.....not long out of Prison - another feather in the cap for the Justice system. Mr.Ward also should have been behind bars when Mr.Nally defended himself.....why am I not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Allyall wrote: »
    i would have walked him to the Garda Station, and stood by him for the complaint, explaining to him that he wouldn't have to appear in Court.

is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Why?

Because they deserve nothing better.
    If someone interfers with the human rights of others, the best right to live in peace and not be attacked, raped or killed, then the perp looses any rights they have.
    I think it is a pretty simple concept.

Prison needs to be made somewhere that is akin to hell so that criminals do not want to go back if they ever get out.
    Instead we have numerous repeat offenders like this guy, like gerard barry in Galway, like michael murphy in Louth, etc.

The last two had done enough the first time to never have been out to kill again.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jmayo wrote: »
    Because they deserve nothing better.
    If someone interfers with the human rights of others, the best right to live in peace and not be attacked, raped or killed, then the perp looses any rights they have.
    I think it is a pretty simple concept.
    Sure. And, like most simple concepts, it's fatally flawed.
    Prison needs to be made somewhere that is akin to hell so that criminals do not want to go back if they ever get out.
    Instead we have numerous repeat offenders like this guy, like gerard barry in Galway, like michael murphy in Louth, etc.
    Do you know how recidivism rates in America (where prison is an industry designed to satisfy the visceral desire for revenge that you're espousing) compare to those in Norway (where prison is a system designed to help criminals learn how to become productive members of society)?

Do you care?
    The last two had done enough the first time to never have been out to kill again.
    We have a choice: we can design a system that aims to rehabilitate killers so that they are less likely to kill again; or we can design a system that builds seething resentment and hatred of society so that we have no choice but to keep people locked up for their entire lives because we've only succeeded in making bad people worse.

I'm not coming at this from the perspective of a bleeding-heart liberal. I'm looking for a system that works, and - from what I've seen - the American "correctional" system is a strong contender for the worst one on the planet. The Norwegian system isn't as viscerally satisfying as public hangings, but it's a damn sight more civilised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

oscarBravo - Their are people who can not be cured or re-rehabilitated and bascially can not function in open society. These people do not deserve to be let out, ever.

There are too many do godders in this country and the law is stacked in favour of the criminal. I have never been robbed but if I ever am there is only one way the intruder is leaving my house...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's alright everyone, he's after apologizing and says he's sorry.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/castlebar-double-murder-accused-tells-court-im-sorry-29414871.html

That makes it all better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭mistermano

'sorry' for the predicament he finds himself in like.......

having to go to court and all that......

“We have serious concerns for his welfare,” said the solicitor.

blah blah blah...........

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

yew_tree wrote: »
    oscarBravo - Their are people who can not be cured or re-rehabilitated and bascially can not function in open society. These people do not deserve to be let out, ever.
    How do you distinguish those people from the people who can be rehabilitated?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭jonnybangbang

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

An horrific crime and the usual horrific knee jerk reactions to it. Someone mentioned we are a sick/violent society. Indeed, going by some of the comments here - by promoting murder (which the death penalty is) and violence, some of you come off no better than the perpetrators who carried out this heinous act.

well i'm no scientist

but larry murphy a violent rapist

refused to undergo any treatment(rehabilation?) in prison

and we let him right back out didn't we!

Yeah, thats how people knew his name yesterday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yeah, thats how people knew his name yesterday.

Wow, can't say he screamed murderer!! In a way, and I say this lightly, the system has failed him and the 2 Blaine men.

If qualified people they can't see that this lad is a threat, then how are they going to determine if a woman is going to commit suicide if she doesn't get an abortion??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mistermano wrote: »
    well i'm no scientist

but larry murphy a violent rapist

refused to undergo any treatment(rehabilation?) in prison

and we let him right back out didn't we!

Harsher prisons doesn't work - just look at the US.

ya but we're the worst of both worlds

we don't rehabilitate and let them right back out.......

if i'm not mistaken like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mistermano wrote: »
    ya but we're the worst of both worlds

we don't rehabilitate and let them right back out.......

if i'm not mistaken like?

We don't even put them in in the first place :/ Harsher prisons make people far more likely to re-offend. The system in Norway is completely different. It may seem unusual but treating people like people seems to be more helpful in getting through to them.

It should be a eye for a eye, you murder a person and your own life should be forfeit, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

But in the US you are likely to get a long enough sentence that will ensure you'll never get out, so it dosen't matter.

We don't even put them in in the first place :/ Harsher prisons make people far more likely to re-offend. The system in Norway is completely different. It may seem unusual but treating people like people seems to be more helpful in getting through to them.

agreed

a lot better than revolving door we have anyhow......

lock em up ....reoffend......lock em up....reoffend......

maybe someone should tell enda kenny and some of our TDs ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's not going to be hard for his defence to get around any murder charges with the likes of that to fall back on is there?

Yeah and neither harsher prisons nor the death penalty have ever been shown to be a deterrent for crime. Though with the death penalty there's certainly no chance of someone re-offending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Simple - a two tier system.

First time/milder/psychiatric offenders can be put in the 'Hug-A-Thug' friendlier institution where they can hopefully be rehabilitated. (Such as the Norwegian model)

Repeat offenders or those that refuse to co-operate with the 'Hug-A-Thug' services can go to the 'Minimalist' institution where they get their basic rights and feck all else. Food, bedding and an hours exercise. (Such as the stricter USA model.)

As things stand, the first time offender doing 12 months for something stupid is treated exactly the same as the guy on his 100th conviction who is doing 'life by installments'. There is no deterrent for these guys at present.

Judge Devins already said 4 years ago that he was "the most difficult case she had came across" and “obviously something fundamentally wrong” , but yet he was still left to wander the streets.

• Advertisement

Judge Devins already said 4 years ago that he was "the most difficult case she had came across" and “obviously something fundamentally wrong” , but yet he was still left to wander the streets.

that's how we do things here.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement