Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the worst beer you've had?

• 10-07-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never thought I'd be able to easily define the worst beer I've tasted. It's not easy to define one's favourite beer - I have several favourites - and I've tasted quite a few pretty awful beers.
    Last night, however, I had a beer that simply has to jump out as being the worst beer I've ever tasted...................:

Brewmeister Hopped to The Gates of Hell.
    Jaysas it is truly horrible. No hop aroma, no taste that I'd describe as hops, plenty of nasty bitterness and a good dose of TCP taste (and, yes, I do like Islay whiskys). Pored it down the toilet - I didn't want to upset my sink. I feel a bit bad for my toilet now:(

So what's your worst beer.
    Let's be honest the vast majority of mainstream lagers are just bland not horrible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I don't think I've ever tasted any really awful beers, but I reckon it's Blue Moon. I can easily go through any bland, empty macro lager with a reasonable amount of enjoyment, if it's cold and if I'm eating food. But Blue Moon is one of the few beers I really struggled to get down me.

Others of note would be Fruli, and Rodenbach Grand Cru. The former barely qualifies as a beer, the latter was a sour, vinegary mess, and no amount of 'acquired taste' talk could force me to enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love Rodenbach Grand Cru.
    LOVE it:D:D:D
    Can't say I enjoyed my first bottle, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sent a friend to the off-license with €20 and orders to buy beer.

They came back with a crate of Oranjeboom. The hangover hit me before I was halfway through the first bottle. I didn't open a second. Vile muck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

From what I remember, the only 2 beers I've never finished were Beer Lao and
    Unertl Weisse.

Of the macros, I think Miller is pretty undrinkable, I could stomach a Budweiser or Coors Light but I always remember Miller being offensively bad. I think I'll die happy not knowing if I can actually drink a full one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I had an Indian beer served on a trans atlantic London to NY Air India flight which was completely undrinkable. I can't remember the name but it made battery acid seem appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Had a pint of Brooklyn Lager when I was in New York. Could barely finish it, but did out of principle. Got a real taste of soap off of it. Nearly like someone had put a squirt of Fairy into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I remember during college there was a beer called Kelly's Lager on the go, brewed in Louth I think. Rough stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I nearly vomited the one and only time I tried drink Corona. One of the lads left a few in my fridge one evening we were having a few bottles in my house & told me to help myself

This was long before I turned to craft beers but one mouthful was enough. I drank awful crap in college but Corona is the only beer I've actually had to spit out

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Bishops Finger. Bought a few based purely on the name so I could say "was on the bishops finger last night, in bits now though". Sadly it was just terrible. The bottles stank when I opened them (I now suspect they had been in the sun or something and gone off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Easily bottles of Miller. Draft is fine but the smell, taste, texture of miller bottles is disturbingly foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ignoring the likes of Miller, Coors Lite etc... The worst I've had in a long while was Stinger Nettle Ale.
    Awful.
    Poured 2/3 of it down the sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Two beers spring to mind, firstly Carling awful stuff and secondly Old Speckled Hen, a mate of mine loves so its all about taste but jaysus I had to take a second sip just to make sure my mind hadn't tricked me the first time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I find it hard to believe corona/miller is the worst anyone's had, sure there's barely a taste off corona

Worst I can think of is Santa Clause beer or whatever its called, the 24% one, too strong for me, not drinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Oh god I take it back. Canterbury Jack, Spitfire, Bishops Finger. Even fresh out of the box in Lidl, they are skunked and undrinkable.

Worst I can think of is Santa Clause beer or whatever its called, the 24% one, too strong for me, not drinkable

Samichlaus, though only weighing in at 14%. :P

I find it hard to believe corona/miller is the worst anyone's had

Well believe it!

As stated I nearly vomited when I drank it (some time in 2007). All the rubbish I drank in college never made me want to be sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

It is simple, Harp! Battery acid.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Two beers spring to mind, firstly Carling awful stuff and secondly Old Speckled Hen, a mate of mine loves so its all about taste but jaysus I had to take a second sip just to make sure my mind hadn't tricked me the first time!

One of the first ales I got into, still enjoy a bottle of it when the fancy takes me. To each his own though.

Worst I've had is Wychwood's Ginger Beard, only beer I've poured down the sink. That said, I think it was more the style than the quality of the beer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I never thought I'd be able to easily define the worst beer I've tasted. It's not easy to define one's favourite beer - I have several favourites - and I've tasted quite a few pretty awful beers.
    Last night, however, I had a beer that simply has to jump out as being the worst beer I've ever tasted...................:

Brewmeister Hopped to The Gates of Hell.
    Jaysas it is truly horrible. No hop aroma, no taste that I'd describe as hops, plenty of nasty bitterness and a good dose of TCP taste (and, yes, I do like Islay whiskys). Pored it down the toilet - I didn't want to upset my sink. I feel a bit bad for my toilet now:(

So what's your worst beer.
    Let's be honest the vast majority of mainstream lagers are just bland not horrible!

I disagree. I've yet to taste a drink more horrible than Budweiser.

0410.jpg
    "Bud"

animal-frogs-4.jpg
    "weis"

drunken-kermit.jpg?1314486510
    "..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I can't think of the name of it but it comes in 1ltr cans in Dunnes and (possibly) Lidl. Bought it for the size novelty more than anything but I and my mate I was drinking with both had our stomachs in bits from it.

I can't think of the name of it but it comes in 1ltr cans in Dunnes and (possibly) Lidl. Bought it for the size novelty more than anything but I and my mate I was drinking with both had our stomachs in bits from it.

cerveja-kaiserdom-premiun-lager-lata-1-litro-caneco_MLB-O-2942164754_072012.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Probably Banana Bread Beer. Had it when I saw just starting to try different types of beer and it kind of put me off trying anything wildly different from what I was drinking at the time. It remains the olny beer that I have poured down the sink.

Their was a Metalman Ginger beer that also stands out as being really bad. I remember the taste of it lingering in my mouth for a good while after.

Desperadoes, absolutely toxic stuff altogether. Corona/molson Canadian/st. Bernard lager are all vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Their was a Metalman Ginger beer that also stands out as being really bad. I remember the taste of it lingering in my mouth for a good while after.

Oh thank God, it wasn't just me then!
    Tried that at the Craft Beer Festival last year and thought it was awful as well.
    Not really a true ginger beer but a beer flavoured with ginger. Not nice at all. Had a weird lingering taste as you mentioned.

Desperadoes

Forgot about that stuff. Got offered a small glass in a pub as part of a promotion. The promo girls came round again 10 mins later to hand out the bottles as the pub was dead and no one took one off them.

I wasn't a massive fan of the Metalman Ginger beer but it turned out to be popular enough in the pub, we sold enough to warrant reordering it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Kaiserdom that's the one, thanks irish_goat. As bad and all as some beer's I've had have been I don't think I've ever poured one down the sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Jesus some of you are awful pussies.
    How the hell would a bottle of corona or miller make you almost get sick :confused::confused:
    Unless it was warm and had been sitting out??

I don't like them but if cold then they're better than nothing (and don't really taste of anything)

Worst beer I've had recently is grolsch. It was just horrible but it didn't make me sick or anything.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Budweiser

• Advertisement

How the hell would a bottle of corona or miller make you almost get sick :confused::confused:

That would be the disgusting taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Like Garfield and the lasagna, I've never met a beer I didn't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

If you don't like Corona try a dirty corona, just add tabasco.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

There was/is a beer in a lidl/aldi,a little green 250ml bottle,12 bottles in the pack,tasted like metal,can't remember the name of it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Honestly, a Dungarvan Copper Coast ale. Only had one bottle, and it was a real challenge to finish it. It just made me feel really sick, horrible taste off it.

I love their porter and Helvick gold ale though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

tennents larger was by far. bought qa 6 pack for 6 euro to watch wrestlemania and could only drink 2 cans. Dirty stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

That would be the disgusting taste

Corona doesnt have a taste...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Not in any particular order but these 3 stand out for me.

Asahi Super Dry
    Desperados
    Michelob Pale Ale

The beer I am afraid of is Cantillon Gueuze. I had 1 glass of it before and couldn't finish it.
    It was way too sour.

The reason I didnt say it was the worst is because a few years ago I would have said any beer with lots of hops were terrible but that changed in time as my palate changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Never really had a bad craft beer. I'd have to say Miller as well, foul tasting stuff. Havent drank Budweiser since I was a teenager so thankfully I've forgotten what it tastes like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not a fan of the old fashioned beer. That sanciclaus and thomas hardy stuff isn't for me. As "normal" beers you find in most pubs, I think Fosters is fairly manky. All the others are inoffensive.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Never really had a bad craft beer. I'd have to say Miller as well, foul tasting stuff. Havent drank Budweiser since I was a teenager so thankfully I've forgotten what it tastes like.
    Bud is definitely not horrible tasting. It's bland. Take your bog standard "premium lager" and fill a pint glass a quarter the way up. Fill the rest with water. That's what bud tastes like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In fairness I don't think I've ever hated something to the point that I couldn't finish it.

I really dislike bland, watered down style of beer. Budweiser, Coors Light etc. are all horrible for me, wouldn't buy them but wouldn't say no if they were free.

I had La Chouffe once and didn't really enjoy although it has gotten good reviews:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/321/1836

la_chouffe.jpg

• Advertisement

Some very delicate palates here:P:P
    The vast majority of the beers mentioned here I could drink one or even two of them to be polite if offered one in someone's house!
    I don't mind Corona too much.
    I seem to remember drinking bottles of Miller years ago - bit sweet iirc.
    Quite like La Chouffe but I think it went to sh1t a couple of years ago.
    Used to drink the Fosters back in the day by the can.
    Seem to remember quite liking Kaiserdom.
    I actually think Bud is the most recognisable macro lager - not unpleasant.
    I like Brooklyn Lager.
    Metalman Ginger was drinkable imo.

I'll stop there. I don't think anyone has mentioned a beer that I couldn't bring myself to drink, though I mightn't take much pleasure from many of them.
    I don't like bananas so probably the banana bread beer wouldn't make its way down my gullet and I see desperados as an beer flavoured alcopop - awful stuff.

I'm looking for some really awful beer - not bland/boring/uninteresting/goes against your craft beer sensibilities beers.
    Something that if you were at a party (without your own stash) and there was nothing else to drink and despite possibly causing slight offence/being ridiculed as a hipster beer snob you just couldn't bring yourself to drink.

BTW has anyone here tasted Hopped To The Gates of Hell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

drumswan wrote: »
    Corona doesnt have a taste...

It smells like sweat so I'm guessing it tastes like it.

Can't believe someone doesn't like Beer Lao! I loved it. Some of the cheap beer in China was horredous.
    I'm not a fan of fruity beers so I find Hoegarten tough to drink.

Budweiser is pretty poor stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Santa Cruz, awful muck and wasn't that enamoured with any kind of ale really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

made a homebrew a few weeks back and it got infected so tasted like vinegar. not many beers I wouldn't finish but had a can of Kilkenny ale and poured half it down the sink.

of the mainstream beers it would be Carlsberg, the taste and smell puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thetl

For me it has to be Greene king Ipa had a pint in London and couldn't finish it, I was in tescos and saw the Greene king export in bottles and though I would give the export a go to see was it any better still couldn't stomach it , I don't know is it a bad beer or is it just me

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just spotted this thread, I'm surprised it took so long for Desperadoes to be mentioned. It's truly vile stuff. Steinlager is equally vile, I poured the bottle down the sink after a single swig. I asked a Kiwi mate about it and he said that he didn't know anyone back home who drank it because it's so bad. He also said the hangovers you got from it were atrocious, but thankfully I didn't get that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lux23 wrote: »
    wasn't that enamoured with any kind of ale really.

It's a very broad term though. There are so many to choose from. Keep trying.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It's a very broad term though. There are so many to choose from. Keep trying.

I had a friend who was adamant that he didn't like ale or dark beers (despite regularly drinking guinness). I recently found him drinking and enjoying a black IPA!! Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is his go to beer now.

Lux23 wrote: »
    and wasn't that enamoured with any kind of ale really.

I had a friend who was adamant that he didn't like ale or dark beers (despite regularly drinking guinness). I recently found him drinking and enjoying a black IPA!! Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is his go to beer now.

No offence meant but I find when people declare they don't like ale (not an uncommon declaration) they usually don't have a clue what ale is and what they actually mean is they tried Smithwick's years ago and didn't like it and maybe tried a bland English bitter and didn't like that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭a clanger

" no such thing as a bad one only better ones" ...I was once told. although warm Millar/Bud/Coors all belong to a category of pish that includes our politicians banks and Meath footballers ( getting my abuse in early) . dominion ale (VA) and Sam Adams Boston ale are always welcome on my beermat as a bit of balance

• Advertisement
Advertisement