Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the worst beer you've had?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Harp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

O'Kells. Truly awful swill from the Isle of Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭suave.4u

I think there is something wrong with me: Every beer seems nice and welcoming.
    matter of fact, just having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

thetl wrote: »
    For me it has to be Greene king Ipa had a pint in London and couldn't finish it, I was in tescos and saw the Greene king export in bottles and though I would give the export a go to see was it any better still couldn't stomach it , I don't know is it a bad beer or is it just me

Was also in the UK recently in a Greene King pub and had a pint of the IPA -awful stuff. It's only 3.2% which is less than half of what I would expect from an IPA and it tasted like they made a proper IPA at 6-7% and diluted it down. Since I've started homebrewing I've become much more aware of the skunky taste and I think that's what really ruins the Speckled Hen and the Spitfire -the clear bottles just lets them get skunked very quickly. Had a Becks this week and it was just skunk in a bottle - very likely Corona would go the same way.
    I think this is a very relevant topic at the moment as we're all likely this weekend to be at barbecues being offered rubbish lager in bright sunlight - I'm guessing that from a skunky point of view Bud would be your best bet, being in a brown bottle while Miller should also be ok as it doesn't even contain hops (hop extract oils, as far as I know). Heineken would be a disaster Any other suggestions gratefully accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Tescos brand beer is the worst beer I ever had. I bought a can of it one day for the craic cos it was 85 cent a can. The taste wasn't the worst but the after taste was the killer. I only got through half the can.

When I was in Oz years ago, I found VB was pretty mank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Interesting thread, i just checked the fridge, i have 2 cans of Marstons pedigree in there, they were €2 for 4 cans in Tesco months back, they are horrible i literally could not drink it, i also tried a wheat beer once, again that went down the drain:o
    So im wary of wheat beers i wouldnt try one again tbh! Most other Engish ales i like though,
    Desperados is interesting my OH likes it but its way to sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The two worst beers I have tasted are;

- Becks Vier in San Francisco
    - Heineken in the Heineken brewery museum in Amsterdam

I don't really like strong tasting beers and normally go for Bud or Miller GD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

wrmwit wrote: »
    I found VB was pretty mank!

I actually liked this :o

The lads used to joke it stood for "Very Bad"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Marstons Pedigree - one of the blandest bitters I've tasted. Truly insipid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ravelleman wrote: »

Insipid and bland don't qualify as truly horrible.

I think everyone here needs to try Hopped to the Gates of Hell - then you'll know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I think everyone here needs to try Hopped to the Gates of Hell

I would, but it's a bit pricey for what you're lauding as a truly awful beer :P

I would, but it's a bit pricey for what you're lauding as a truly awful beer :P

You might love it - no accounting for taste!

Insipid and bland don't qualify as truly horrible.

I think everyone here needs to try Hopped to the Gates of Hell - then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Nor did I say that they meant 'horrible'.

I would qualify most macro lagers as more flavoursome - and I mean this in a postive sense rather than the simple quality of having flavour, good or bad - though and we're still perfectly happy to say that Budweiser and the like are amongst the worst beers we've tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Dunkle Chocolate Beer
    Why God Why

Also OHaras 6.8 Stout too sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

As a penniless student in the 90s, with a friend we bought a can each of Yellow Pack Stout, 40p each I think. At the time, I wasn't into craft beer (luckily enough) and would drink anything, but after struggling to drink the stout, I gave up after a third of the can. Friend didn't finish his either.

Weird watery, salty taste if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Of the main stream beers the popularity of Heineken has always puzzled me. They must have the best marketing department in the world. Anyone remember Hoffmans :( those were the headaches.

Of the main stream beers the popularity of Heineken has always puzzled me. They must have the best marketing department in the world. Anyone remember Hoffmans :( those were the headaches.

No surprise really, most people don’t know their ar$e from their elbow when it comes to beer, that’s why they happen to like the ones they’ve been told to like by marketing.

Also I really hate when someone says “I’m a Heineken/Guinness/whatever man”, almost as if their choice of beer was part of who they are. Why swear allegiance to one beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Some very delicate palates here:P:P
    The vast majority of the beers mentioned here I could drink one or even two of them to be polite if offered one in someone's house!
    I don't mind Corona too much.
    I seem to remember drinking bottles of Miller years ago - bit sweet iirc.
    Quite like La Chouffe but I think it went to sh1t a couple of years ago.
    Used to drink the Fosters back in the day by the can.
    Seem to remember quite liking Kaiserdom.
    I actually think Bud is the most recognisable macro lager - not unpleasant.
    I like Brooklyn Lager.
    Metalman Ginger was drinkable imo.

I'll stop there. I don't think anyone has mentioned a beer that I couldn't bring myself to drink, though I mightn't take much pleasure from many of them.
    I don't like bananas so probably the banana bread beer wouldn't make its way down my gullet and I see desperados as an beer flavoured alcopop - awful stuff.

I'm looking for some really awful beer - not bland/boring/uninteresting/goes against your craft beer sensibilities beers.
    Something that if you were at a party (without your own stash) and there was nothing else to drink and despite possibly causing slight offence/being ridiculed as a hipster beer snob you just couldn't bring yourself to drink.

BTW has anyone here tasted Hopped To The Gates of Hell?

Yup I got it. I think its a nice beer, but its nothing more than hops really. I agree with what you say though, its very one dimensional and its like they did something 'wrong' when making it. Theres no real body to it, but I do like it for some reason. Actually have purchased twice now, along with the black cock and ten. I don't really rate the other two for the price but do not think they are bad.

Looking at ratebeer, people really seem to dislike the brewery in general and there are big question marks about their armageddon. Its seems like people think they are ripping off the customer with gimmicks and not backing it up with quality like brewdog for example.

My worst beer would be WEISSENOHER BONATOR by a mile, its a smoked beer reasonably widely available in ireland. Its just horiffic, smells like a dead fish in old socks. It sold out really quickly when we stocked it, because it was a bit different I suppose, but every customer I talked to about it, hated it.A guy actually bought 3 and brought back the other 2. Looking ratebeer again though it gets really good reviews so Id say we must got in a bad batch.

Anyone else try it???

Any ginger beer aswell, just wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Ravelleman wrote: »

Ya I still have 3 in the fridge when tescos were selling 4 cans for €2, must throw them out now actually

• Advertisement

eurokev wrote: »
    Ya I still have 3 in the fridge when tescos were selling 4 cans for €2, must throw them out now actually

Put em in a stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

That Desperado stuff.

Absolutely vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I actually liked this :o

The lads used to joke it stood for "Very Bad"

Victoria Bitter. Also known as 'Vaginal Backwash'

Toohey's New I found to be awful stuff.

Hop Head is absolute dishwater in both looks and taste.

Carlsberg makes me gag after the first sip or two then it becomes bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

Bud lite, awful stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Desperado is the worst for me like many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Victoria Bitter. Also known as 'Vaginal Backwash'

Toohey's New I found to be awful stuff.

Hop Head is absolute dishwater in both looks and taste.

Carlsberg makes me gag after the first sip or two then it becomes bearable.

:eek::eek::eek:

It's gorgeous!

dan1895 wrote: »
    Desperado is the worst for me like many others.

Is it even really beer? More of an alcopop, really.

With my OH, we were once invited to meal at a colleague’s house. Said colleague knew I was into beer, so tried to get me some nice stuff. Unfortunately said colleague knew nothing about beer and ended up getting Desperado. :(

Put em in a stew.

This is what I did with a couple. I also made some tasty bread with it so it didn't work out too badly in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Lucena wrote: »
    Is it even really beer? More of an alcopop, really.
    Ratebeer dont seem to have a problem listing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hands down, the worst beer I have ever experienced is bottled Miller. Everything that can be wrong with a beer short of bacterial infection is wrong with it.

However Killians Irish Red might come close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

I would drink many of the beers mentioned already but the very worst beer I drand would have to be the stoats piss that is called "Titan". 8 cans for a fiver but totally undrinkable

earlytobed wrote: »
    I would drink many of the beers mentioned already but the very worst beer I drand would have to be the stoats piss that is called "Titan". 8 cans for a fiver but totally undrinkable

The drink for alcoholics who have to "Titan" their belts! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Modelo in Mexico. That was a nasty beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The worst beer I ever had was Cannabia (Hemp beer) over in Berlin. Awful muck it was. Really flat, no head and it smelt as bad as it tasted. When I was drinking it all I could taste was mushy peas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

According to legend, Australian produced (not the uk brewed variety) Fosters was the worst tasting beer known to man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Lindemans Framboise...a nasty mix of syurpy fruit flavours...vile

Beer Baron wrote: »

Which one? Surely not Negra Modelo? That's a rather nice Vienna style dark lager. Not a patch on European examples of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Years ago, as a student, me and my mate bought bottles of some 10% beer called Navigator..so poxy. Have to say Desperados is even worse.
    I've bought a lot of random craft beers over the past few years and the only one I couldn't drink was this:
    "GOOSE ISLAND PEPE NERO
    A black rye saison that combines a roasted/smoky malt character in balance with a pepper spice from the yeast. Finishes dry with a refreshing level of carbonation".
    B*llox it tastes like vinegar!! Maybe it was just gone off, but that usually wouldn't stop me :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Beer Baron wrote: »

Reminds me of a serious gripe I have with ethnic restaurants who insist on filling their beer menu with crap from back home. Mexican and Asian restaurants are serious offenders (with Izakaya being a great exception).

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Reminds me of a serious gripe I have with ethnic restaurants who insist on filling their beer menu with crap from back home. Mexican and Asian restaurants are serious offenders (with Izakaya being a great exception).

Totally agree. Just because you're in a Thai restaurant, doesn't mean you have to drink some crap Thai beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Worst beers I've had were Tom Crean's lager, had a pint, just tasted wrong. Very sweet, like vanilla wafers. Couldn't even finish the pint. (Draft)
    Blue Moon is just as bad, sickly tasting swill. (Draft)
    Then there was Fade to Black by Left Hand brewing, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too smokey for my taste, it was over powering, there was no taste other than smoke. (Bottle)
    Also by Left Hand is 400 pound Monkey, just awful. Weird kinda herby aroma from it, smelled like sweat, a big sweaty 400 pound poop throwing monkey. (On draft)

Worst beers I've had were Tom Crean's lager, had a pint, just tasted wrong. Very sweet, like vanilla wafers. Couldn't even finish the pint. (Draft)
    Then there was Fade to Black by Left Hand brewing, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too smokey for my taste, it was over powering, there was no taste other than smoke. (Bottle)
    Also by Left Hand is 400 pound Monkey, just awful. Weird kinda herby aroma from it, smelled like sweat, a big sweaty 400 pound poop throwing monkey. (On draft)

Kudos for trying the Left Hand beers, even if they are not to your taste. I really enjoyed Fade to Black myself but I like big flavour in my beer usually.
    I recall I liked 400 pound monkey too, though I have had many better versions of that style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Apart from the Tom Crean's (average lager) I would've listed those beers as being pretty decent beers (and in ascending order of your post).

Horses for courses I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Sklarker wrote: »
    Years ago, as a student, me and my mate bought bottles of some 10% beer called Navigator..so poxy

I remember this beer. the brand was Amsterdam and they had three varieties:
    Mariner (5%), Navigator (10%) and Maximator (12%). The Maximator wasn't available in Ireland - I found it in France as a teenager. It didn't taste very good but two cans of it made for a good night out as a young fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

One of the first ales I got into, still enjoy a bottle of it when the fancy takes me. To each his own though.

Worst I've had is Wychwood's Ginger Beard, only beer I've poured down the sink. That said, I think it was more the style than the quality of the beer.

I like Ginger beer of the Ginger Joe variety, and Wychwood's other offerings such as Hobgoblin, but Ginger Beard is Blehhh!

Budweiser = bland PISS.

Also tried a 12% beer in Italy "Biere du demon" (I know the name is French but it seems to be very popular in Italy.) Rank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

thetl wrote: »
    For me it has to be Greene king Ipa had a pint in London and couldn't finish it, I was in tescos and saw the Greene king export in bottles and though I would give the export a go to see was it any better still couldn't stomach it , I don't know is it a bad beer or is it just me

I was tempted to get that stuff in Aldi (at least I think it is the same stuff, definitely GK IPA but not sure if it was Export), when I saw that it came in clear bottles I steered well clear. Beer in clear bottles is, so I'm told, pumped full of preservatives due to the light getting at it. I love IPAs but I won't go anywhere near that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Saruman wrote: »
    Kudos for trying the Left Hand beers, even if they are not to your taste. I really enjoyed Fade to Black myself but I like big flavour in my beer usually.
    I recall I liked 400 pound monkey too, though I have had many better versions of that style.

I love their Milk Stout. It could have been what ever I had before the Fade to Black as I've had one or two other smoke/rauch beers, and they were grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

:eek: :eek:

I remember this beer. the brand was Amsterdam and they had three varieties:
    Mariner (5%), Navigator (10%) and Maximator (12%). The Maximator wasn't available in Ireland - I found it in France as a teenager. It didn't taste very good but two cans of it made for a good night out as a young fella!

Maximator brutalised the one and only time I tried it. Another classic in keeping with the style in Faxe 10%, which can be bought in a 1l tin. A European malt liquor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sklarker wrote: »
    Years ago, as a student, me and my mate bought bottles of some 10% beer called Navigator..so poxy.

I bought a 4-pack of Navigator maybe 15 years ago, could only manage one can (barely). By far the worst beer I've drank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement