Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the worst beer you've had?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale.

Truly vile. I think I got quarter way through the bottle before putting it down the sink.

Awful stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

Coney Island beer was rough!

Cool bottles though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Ignoring the bland mass-market stuff & purely looking at the "premium" section of the beer market probably the worst experience I had was with the Porterhouse's Wrasslers Stout. The blurb about it being Michael Collins's favourite tipple persuaded me to give it a try as I've had some pretty decent old style stouts before. My respect for the Big Fella dipped considerably once I actually started drinking the stuff however. Foul pigswill of an excuse for a stout with a gag inducing aftertaste. Took me a while to actually pin down what it tasted of - rotten turnips was what I finally settled on. Maybe I just got a bad pint (never bought it again) so would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried it & liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Really can't see how the likes of Corona/Miller can be considered that bad, they barely taste of anything. I get the feeling people wouldn't moan about them so much if they weren't so popular

There are only two beers I've ever had that I couldn't finish. The first was when I was living in Germany a few years back, ended up in some horrible techno club that only had one beer. Jever.

jever.jpg

Just fúcking awful very bitter stuff.

Second was a couple of months back in New Zealand. I got to Auckland and decided to head down to the local supermarket to pick up a 6 pack, and was pleasantly surprised by the selection of beers they had. Absolutely loads available, I decided I'd better try something local and for no apparent reason went with this:

bouncing-czech_btl_brb.jpg

From the first swig I knew I'd made a mistake, again just extremely bitter. I had one or two bottles and then started to give them away. There was one bottle left and nobody in the hostel wanted it, it was that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There was/is a beer in a lidl/aldi,a little green 250ml bottle,12 bottles in the pack,tasted like metal,can't remember the name of it now.
    Was it the Aldi "Brassierre" beer?

Lager_PD3.jpg

I've never had it - not my style - but France is not a country I associate with good beer at all. Which makes it doubly weird that Stella Artois uses French imagery in their ads, when it's actually from Belgium - a country with a more solid beer reputation.

That Molson Canadian I had a month ago is up there, now I think of it. It tasted of things that shouldn't be in beer, like glycerine. I agree about Budweiser, too - tried it in a bar while we were talking about something interesting, but it stopped the conversation dead. "Holy Carp, this is Bad Beer!"

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

bnt wrote: »
    Was it the Aldi "Brassierre" beer?

Lager_PD3.jpg

I've never had it - not my style - but France is not a country I associate with good beer at all. Which makes it doubly weird that Stella Artois uses French imagery in their ads, when it's actually from Belgium - a country with a more solid beer reputation.

That Molson Canadian I had a month ago is up there, now I think of it. It tasted of things that shouldn't be in beer, like glycerine. I agree about Budweiser, too - tried it in a bar while we were talking about something interesting, but it stopped the conversation dead. "Holy Carp, this is Bad Beer!"

There is some good beer available in France, some excellent beer in fact, but it’s a relatively recent phenomenon (north of France excluded). Fact of the matter is that most of the beer drunk in France is cheapo Kronenbourg (or similar), with Heineken making huge in-roads due to heavy marketing.
    Still, most people here don’t really understand if you say that you’re into beer, in fact they probably imagine you spend your Saturday nights knacker drinking with de boyez on the nearest car-park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Saruman wrote: »
    Which one? Surely not Negra Modelo? That's a rather nice Vienna style dark lager. Not a patch on European examples of course.

It was this.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/quirke/null_zps1e637c7f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

My mates first attempt at a home brew. Gave us all the $hits. Still about on par with Bishop's Finger though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Wychwood's Ginger Beard and Snake's Bite, I found them both rather sickly sweet and cloying.

I had a can of Excelsior (3.9% abv) from Lidl the other day, I expected it to be a standard issue generic tasteless lager however it was set apart from the bland masses by a horrific aftertaste, nasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Cans of Excelsoir from lidl, has an after taste like bleeding gums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Gamayun wrote: »
    Wychwood's Ginger Beard and Snake's Bite, I found them both rather sickly sweet and cloying.

I had a can of Excelsior (3.9% abv) from Lidl the other day, I expected it to be a standard issue generic tasteless lager however it was set apart from the bland masses by a horrific aftertaste, nasty stuff.

Oh God I forgot about Snake's Bite. Horrible horrible stuff. Been a fan of Wychwood ever since moving to the UK years ago so seeing a new beer was an automatic purchase. It was the first bottle that went down the sink after the first taste. Lived in Oxford for about 3 years and visited the Wychwood brewery, which was pretty cool though. I love the artwork they use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Custardpi wrote: »
    Ignoring the bland mass-market stuff & purely looking at the "premium" section of the beer market probably the worst experience I had was with the Porterhouse's Wrasslers Stout. The blurb about it being Michael Collins's favourite tipple persuaded me to give it a try as I've had some pretty decent old style stouts before. My respect for the Big Fella dipped considerably once I actually started drinking the stuff however. Foul pigswill of an excuse for a stout with a gag inducing aftertaste. Took me a while to actually pin down what it tasted of - rotten turnips was what I finally settled on. Maybe I just got a bad pint (never bought it again) so would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried it & liked it.
    Have tried all the Porterhouse stouts and this is my favourite! Nice dark chocately taste. Tried it and stayed on it for the night, went down very well. Worst experience was a bottle of P.H. Oyster bought in a supermarket. Mank! Not too bad on draught but many people have said they think it's atrocious so maybe I have no taste!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout is the number 4 most highly rated Irish beer on ratebeer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Sklarker wrote: »
    Have tried all the Porterhouse stouts and this is my favourite! Nice dark chocately taste. Tried it and stayed on it for the night, went down very well. Worst experience was a bottle of P.H. Oyster bought in a supermarket. Mank! Not too bad on draught but many people have said they think it's atrocious so maybe I have no taste!!

Have never tried Oyster out of a bottle as I'm not a fan of bottled stouts usually. I've had it loads of times on draught & although it does seem to be a bit inconsistent when it's good it's absolutely heavenly, far nicer than Guinness, which is obviously the benchmark for stout for most people.

In fact pretty much all the Porterhouse stuff has pleased my tastebuds with the exception of Wrasslers. Interesting to see how well Wrasslers is rated by other people, maybe I did indeed just get a really bad pint of it. Haven't had the courage to try it again after the first time though. Once bitten twice shy & all that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've had one bad pint of Wrassler's but the barman changed it for me but when it's good, it's fantastic. Easily one of my favourite stouts.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tried Porterhouse Wrasslers once and wasn't mad on it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Custardpi wrote: »
    Have never tried Oyster out of a bottle as I'm not a fan of bottled stouts usually.
    Why is that out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Valentines Weissbeir

&

Crabbies Ginger Beer.

drumswan wrote: »
    Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout is the number 4 most highly rated Irish beer on ratebeer

I wouldn't put too much importance on the Ratebeer ratings. They're an excellent guide, but when you get to the top end of the ratings, it's very hard to say that number 4 is really better than number 7, say.

It'll also depend on what beer style you're into. If you're not into stout, the fact that a stout is n°1 beer overall doesn't mean you'll necessarily enjoy it.

Some of the high-alcohol Belgian beers, Kastell for example, are very highly rated, but don't do anything for me, whereas some English ales which have a fairly low mark are more enjoyable for me.

Horses for courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Had a pint of Brooklyn Lager when I was in New York. Could barely finish it, but did out of principle. Got a real taste of soap off of it. Nearly like someone had put a squirt of Fairy into it!

Very strange. I tried Brooklyn in a pub in England a few years ago, and it was superb.

But right now I'm drinking Brooklyn in a bar in Paris and it's almost undrinkable (it leaves a nasty taste at the mouth, like some cigarette ash got mixed in). They've got Smithwick's on, so I might try that instead.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Very strange. I tried Brooklyn in a pub in England a few years ago, and it was superb.

But right now I'm drinking Brooklyn in a bar in Paris and it's almost undrinkable (it leaves a nasty taste at the mouth, like some cigarette ash got mixed in). They've got Smithwick's on, so I might try that instead.

Cut that out, you didn't go to Paris to drink Smithwicks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Brewdog Hardcore IPA -couldn't finish the bottle, tasted like cough medicine.

of the mainstream beers, Bud is the nastiest by a mile, the others are just bland to varying degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Always found Brooklyn larger, sort of floral tasting, not my type of beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Always found Brooklyn larger, sort of floral tasting, not my type of beer.

That'd be the hops

Some crazy talk in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

loyatemu wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks...mother's milk to me ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The worse tasting beer I remember having was Harp, like gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

hoss maibock, thought it was way too sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Carling from a can, years back - absolutely horrid.

Worst ever was one I had at Life Festival in Mullingar a couple of years ago - it was in a brown plastic bottle with a white, blue and orange label........think it was Irish..............****ing disgrace of a brew, tbh.

(Dis)honourable mentions for Miller, Corona and 1795.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

loyatemu wrote: »

Probably my favourite from Brewdog :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'm not a great fan of Tripel Karmaliet ( like drinking sugar ) or Cantillion Geuze, otherwise I'm up for any Trappist Beer or quality Continental pilsener.

It goes without saying that all the Brewed Under Licence Heino or Bud and their ilk are all pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Lucena wrote: »
    Cut that out, you didn't go to Paris to drink Smithwicks. ;)

I had the Smithwick's, and on the night it was the best beer they had. I couldn't tell you what it was like compared to Smithwick's in Ireland because it's so long ago that I tried it before I couldn't remember.

Anyway, last night I was in the same bar and I tried Brooklyn again, and this time it was excellent.

I had the Smithwick's, and on the night it was the best beer they had. I couldn't tell you what it was like compared to Smithwick's in Ireland because it's so long ago that I tried it before I couldn't remember.

Anyway, last night I was in the same bar and I tried Brooklyn again, and this time it was excellent.

Alright, I'll let it go just this once, ya wee scallywag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Caledonia Smooth

New brand that was being pushed around Ireland in the last year. Made in Clonmel by Bulmers

Barman gave me a free glass, I couldn't finish it

Unsurprisingly the barman also said it wasn't selling at all and he had no plans to keep it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Miller is horrible, Budweiser's not great either. Bavaria 8.6 also should be given honourable mention, like a beer mixed generously with Vodka. The alcohol strength wasn't even masked that well. Awful stuff, fruity and syrupy which is not surprising as its 7.9% alcohol. Dunnes 4% lager is fairly poor as well, not had it in a while thankfully..
    One of the worst I've tasted recently was a fancy beer Punk ale. Thought it was horrible, came close to pouring it out. Far too sweet, one of the worst I've ever tasted.. More an alcopop that an ale I found.. A friend kindly gave it to me to try out a craft beer, didn't convince me unfortunately! :( I do intend to try others at some point.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The worst beer I ever had was a brewdog beer I had in their Camden bar, London. It was a single hop IPA. They were doing four IPAs, each with a different hop. I don't remember which one it was but it tasked smokey, a bit like smoked bacon and I really dislike the taste of smoke in food or drinks.

From the article linked, it must have been the Dana hop. It was horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Damburger extra strong lager at 12.2% is the worst beer I or any of my mates have tasted. got a can from a lad I work with and brought it to a festival last wend.

it was horrible, about 10 people tasted it and almost everybody spat it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

many bad beers over the years but one of the worst was an experimental Hofbrau extra hoppy yoke specially produced for the beer festival (braukunst live!) in Munich earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I've only ever left one pint less than halfway through it because it was so bad and that was....

Caledonia Smooth. Honestly appalling. Way too creamy, like a John Smith's type beer, overly hoppy as far as I remember (but I honestly barely can). It was like drinking bland cream. I'd rather puke me ring up than have to keep drinking that ****e.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My favourite pub sells pitchers of Bavaria for people to play Beer Pong. The stuff is poisonous. I don't know how anyone can drink it!

Affligem Blond didn't offend me, but it's the only other beer I can think of that I didn't want to finish. Rubbish in craft's clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

My favourite pub sells pitchers of Bavaria for people to play Beer Pong. The stuff is poisonous. I don't know how anyone can drink it!

Affligem Blond didn't offend me, but it's the only other beer I can think of that I didn't want to finish. Rubbish in craft's clothing.

Amstel is equally awful, I reckon. Both have a student following in Trinity as they're sold in the Pavilion by the can. I was never a fan. It's just not worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Amstel is equally awful, I reckon. Both have a student following in Trinity as they're sold in the Pavilion by the can. I was never a fan. It's just not worth it!

Do they still have the headless dog?
    Not the greatest but leaps and bounds better than bav.
    And they're sold by the crate in the place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Scortho wrote: »

Last time I was in they had posters advertising McGrath's but they had none in the fridges and the staff weren't too sure about it coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Green King IPA
    Grolsch
    Stella
    Banana Bread Beer
    Coopers Canadian Blond Homebrew
    Brahama
    Molson Canadian
    Helvic Gold
    Guinness Black Beer

Could drink most of the mainstream bland beers if I had to.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Last time I was in they had posters advertising McGrath's but they had none in the fridges and the staff weren't too sure about it coming back.

It's something different I suppose that's not down here much.
    They seem to like their northern irish brewers.
    Science gallery used to have the 8 degrees range but only have Heineken now, which is a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Scortho wrote: »

They have something of a craft drought going on.

They had two Messrs' taps - wheat beer and IPA - last year but both of those are now gone.

They also used to have bottles of Headless Dog but haven't seen them in a long time either.

I believe they have a MacGrath's poster on the wall but they don't have any in stock at the moment.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    They have something of a craft drought going on.

They had two Messrs' taps - wheat beer and IPA - last year but both of those are now gone.

They also used to have bottles of Headless Dog but haven't seen them in a long time either.

I believe they have a MacGrath's poster on the wall but they don't have any in stock at the moment.

With kennedys o Neills and the gingerman around the corner I suppose they weren't selling. It's a pity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Green King IPA

+1, piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Honourable mention to Anchor beer from Hamburg, awful swill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Newcastle Brown Ale from a can, tastes like scutter.

Advertisement