Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the worst beer you've had?

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

ciaran76 wrote: »
    When I lived in Prague they used small kegs in the little bars for Staropramen. The bar staff would say when it went bad it went bad quickly and very noticeable.
    I lived next to their brewery so miss the fresh beer from there.

Keg size is irrelevant. Modern kegs will last 2-3 weeks no problem. A bar in Prague no doubt shifts a lot of Staropramen so the kegs there probably rarely, if ever, go bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

irish_goat wrote: »
    Keg size is irrelevant. Modern kegs will last 2-3 weeks no problem. A bar in Prague no doubt shifts a lot of Staropramen so the kegs there probably rarely, if ever, go bad.

Yeah I'm sure you are 100% correct but I only meant small bars. In Prague some/small bars had irregular opening times and some didn't open till after7pm so they didn't use the taps for maybe 16 hours to 2 days depending when it opened.

This so why the small bars used those small kegs I was told. Could have been bull or a translation issue but I noticed in the small bars this was true.

Getting off topic I know but I couldn't drink Pilsner Urquell at all until someone told me to try it from their tank bars. Basically it a huge metal tank that gets filled once a week like an oil tank. Well after tasting it from there I was hooked.
    Was like drinking a different beer altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Wut!? Tis a beautiful beer.

Not for me.

Call me old fashioned, but I really don't want smokiness and chili spice to be the predominant flavours of my beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Footoo wrote: »
    Not for me.

Call me old fashioned, but I really don't want smokiness and chili spice to be the predominant flavours of my beer.

Smoked and adjunct brewed beers are not a modern invention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

drumswan wrote: »
    Smoked and adjunct brewed beers are not a modern invention.

I never said they were. 'Call me old fashioned' is a turn of phrase that I used.

Doesn't change the fact thst I didn't like the beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

worst for me is a toss up between
    blue moon and banana beer
    both equally disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Somebody drive a stake through the heart of this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

/unfollows thread
    Somebody drive a stake through the heart of this thread

unfollow
    Do it for real this time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Of beers I've had recently, Molson Canadian. Insipid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭lc180

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Of beers I've had recently, Molson Canadian. Insipid!

The pints are bad but the cans are serious muck. Was talking to a barman and the pub got 4 free kegs from the supplier and after a month they still hadnt gone through one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

tried a pint of batemans xxb in the bierhaus last week. horrendus.
    worst thing ive tasted in yonks. like a badly made kit beer gone wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

lc180 wrote: »
    The pints are bad but the cans are serious muck. Was talking to a barman and the pub got 4 free kegs from the supplier and after a month they still hadnt gone through one!

Yeah it was the cans I had. Never again! Although I did read on another thread that "Canadian Molson" is nice, but apparently that's not the stuff widely sold here (brewed in the UK), more's the pity.

I'll stick to Tuborg if I want an easy-drinking low ABV beer in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

mailburner wrote: »
    worst for me is a toss up between
    blue moon and banana beer
    both equally disgusting

Banana beer is disgusting alright, but banana bread beer is heavenly, Youngs is delish!

Worst I've ever had was Dungarvan Helvick Gold Ale.....maybe it's the choice of hops (Cascade) they use, but the twang off it was awful, I actually felt my stomach churn. And I don't like to say that about a domestically produced craft beer.

Sunbeam Pilsner on draught, not far behind it, horrendous stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

Got this before in dunnes christ it is some horrible ****e couldnt finish it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Dorfmeister (I don't think it exists anymore)
    Tennants
    Corona Extra

You could offer me a Budweiser, a Coors Light, a Miller, even a Molson Canadian and I will tolerate it, but the above three not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

During my time in Australia, was unfortunate enough to try Toohey's New (fvckng frat boy/college guy beer) and Victoria Bitter. Both skanky.

And, who knew that no-one drinks Fosters in Australia!? I asked for it once in a Dan Murphys which was a booze warehouse easily the size of your average Tesco, and I kid you not, they couldn't find the sh1t!

bnt wrote: »

I've never had it - not my style - but France is not a country I associate with good beer at all. Which makes it doubly weird that Stella Artois uses French imagery in their ads, when it's actually from Belgium - a country with a more solid beer reputation
    Is it not just Waloon imagery they portray? The beer is from Wallonia after all, which just happens to be the French speaking part of Belgium.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

grenache wrote: »
    The beer is from Wallonia after all
    It's not. Leuven may be right on the frontier but that only makes them extra super Flemish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Brewdog Punk.

The most vile thing I've ever tasted. And the only pint I couldn't finish in my life.
    Must be made for girls with the fruitiness. Awful stuff.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's not. Leuven may be right on the frontier but that only makes them extra super Flemish.

My bad. Thought it was Walloon, even though Leuven is a Flemish sounding name. Makes you wonder why the French name for the beer and French language advertising then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Karpackie Premium Polish Lager. Feels like sand paper when passing down your throat.

beer3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Slattsy wrote: »
    Brewdog Punk.

The most vile thing I've ever tasted. And the only pint I couldn't finish in my life.

Very good point... It must be brewed specifically for gerls! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hoegaarden. Dreadful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Brewdog Punk.

A vintage post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Brewdog Punk.

I think you just don't like hoppy beers.

Fruity = Girls? Then only girls can drink Bulmers so !:D

I have a friend who for the last 3-4 years hated hoppy beers.
    At Xmas I went over to his and he is sitting there drinking a SN Torpedo!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

grenache wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why the French name for the beer and French language advertising then.
    It's a UK ad -- made by a British agency for the UK branch of A-B InBev. Playing up the origins of the beer isn't part of the spec, especially since the beer it's advertising is brewed in Wales :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭IanLAD

pippins cider, used to drink it in college, cheap as ****, came in pear and summer fruits flavours aswell as apple, it actually tasted ok, buuut, the heartburn off it was something else!!! every1 of us got it, but it was cheap and easy to neck apart from that, did the job

im getting heartburn now just thinking of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Two spring to mind; Miller, less than piss and for a purely disgusting taste Newcastle Brown Ale in can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

... and for a purely disgusting taste Newcastle Brown Ale in can.

I quite like Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Worst beer ever was called Stryke bitter, bought in Costcutter in Camber Sands in southern England. It was super-cheap and tasted faintly of meat, hence we dubbed it 'Fleischbier'.

5346L.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Warm McEwans one time while camping.

Disgusting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

While not the worst, I have to agree with whoever said Newcastle. I had some in a bottle in a hotel in England (why don't they ever stock proper beer?) and it was weirdly watery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lucena wrote: »
    While not the worst, I have to agree with whoever said Newcastle. I had some in a bottle in a hotel in England (why don't they ever stock proper beer?) and it was weirdly watery.

"proper beer" like what?
    Irish hotels are abysmal for beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

"proper beer" like what?

Real ales, IPAs, etc.

Irish hotels are abysmal for beer, but then again so are most Irish pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"proper beer" like what?

Haven't been in many hotels recently but the Trinity Capital Hotel in Dublin at least sells Galway Hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I remember trying one of those fruit concoctions that the Porter House sell, strawberry beer. It just tasted like bud or some such with strawberry cordial thrown on top, it didn't taste natural at all. Awful, awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Blue moon. Had a quarter of the pint and could drink no more. Became a novelty for every one else to try and down as much as they could. Nobody got to far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Big Tom Mainliner

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Blue moon. Had a quarter of the pint and could drink no more. Became a novelty for every one else to try and down as much as they could. Nobody got to far.

I quite like blue moon. Creates a bit of a toxic biohazard out of your arse the next day, but taste-wise, I quite like it. Worst beer for me is Old Speckled Hen. Tastes like someone dumped an ashtray into the pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

shanec1928 wrote: »
    sounds similar to Tucher Helles Lager from Nuremburg.

Was there on a stag and I saw the car crash coming so ordered a weissbier in a Tucher pub, and everyone else helles and they couldnt be told that it was a ****e beer.
    It was quite humourous to see them one by one give up on trying to finish their pint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I quite like blue moon. Creates a bit of a toxic biohazard out of your arse the next day, but taste-wise, I quite like it. Worst beer for me is Old Speckled Hen. Tastes like someone dumped an ashtray into the pint.

I generally like speckled hen but I've had a couple of dodgy bottles and that's a spot on description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Molson Canadian is probably the worst I have ever had. It is what I imagine urine tastes like.

I was in Spain recently and had to endure Cruzcampo. Really poor as well.

Advertisement