Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Apple Waste into Profit

Options
  • 10-07-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

Just putting some feelers out there to see if anyone has any ideas.

Basically, we are cider producer in the South Cork area, and we have recently been selected to go on the Bord Bia Origin Green initiative. As part of this, we have committed to reducing the amount of waste we send to landfill, which in the most part is our apple pomace. Currently we try and give away as much of this as possible for free as animal fee (to pig farmers etc.), but this is not really a consistent or even viable option as we continue to grow. Our wastage is estimated at between 2 and 4 tonnes per day when we are in production mode (September to December).

Having done a fair bit of research into the matter, it is clear that there are a number of secondary uses for our waste product, such as gluten-free flours, slug pellets etc. (lactic acid, fiber-rich concentrates and pectin are particularly noted as being huge benefits of the pomace). This is an industry in itself across the world, but despite a myriad of research in this country, there doesn't seem to be anyone/anywhere using it in a commercial environment.

Any pointer would be greatly appreciated!

Jme467

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Can be fed to cattle too according to this: http://beef.msu.edu/Resources/Nutrition/FeedingApplesorApplePomaceinCattleDiets/tabid/599/Default.aspx

Surely you will get some takers if you post up an ad saying "(almost) free animal feed - come and get it"?

Finally, can't you make some kind of apple brandy from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jme467

srsly78 wrote: »
    Can be fed to cattle too according to this: http://beef.msu.edu/Resources/Nutrition/FeedingApplesorApplePomaceinCattleDiets/tabid/599/Default.aspx

Surely you will get some takers if you post up an ad saying "(almost) free animal feed - come and get it"?

Finally, can't you make some kind of apple brandy from it?

The only problem with using it as an animal feed, is that it will need to be collected every single day and consumed within 24hrs. Also, as much as it sounds like a joke, there has been evidence to show that once the pomace has been left for a certain time, or if too much is consumed, you end up with some drunk cows and pigs. And apparently they can be mean drunks :P

We actually use the pomace 3 times before it gets to the 'waste' stage. This is to produce two ciders of different strengths, and a brandy (yet to be brought to market).

In an ideal world, we could get someone to come once a day, for 3 months, and take it all. Getting paid for it would be a huge plus. If we could partner with a company or companies that could buy it from us in this period, it would give a number benefits to us, and also allow them to get the raw product for much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Can you turn it into compost? These guys in Dublin might buy it off you and set up a Cork operation - creating a few jobs as well! http://mulch.ie/

Can you turn it into compost? These guys in Dublin might buy it off you and set up a Cork operation - creating a few jobs as well! http://mulch.ie/

That's a good idea, thanks Gloomtastic! I've never come across those guys before. If the suggestions keep coming at this rate, I'm sure we won't have any problem sorting ourselves out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Free case of cider for the best ideas? :)

Maybe have a look at silver hill duckling - they sell 100% of their duck.

Feet are a delicacy in China, feathers for duvets, beaks are sold somewhere else, waste is sold as fertiliser etc.

Whilst apples are a totally different product, you are obviously looking at going down the path of 100% useage.

As above, fertiliser/compost is probably the best option - possibly see what it mixes well with (mix with mushroom compost? - there's a place in carlow that sells this) and what attributes the apples can bring to the mix.

• Advertisement

sandin wrote: »
    Free case of cider for the best ideas? :)

Maybe have a look at silver hill duckling - they sell 100% of their duck.

Feet are a delicacy in China, feathers for duvets, beaks are sold somewhere else, waste is sold as fertiliser etc.

Whilst apples are a totally different product, you are obviously looking at going down the path of 100% useage.

As above, fertiliser/compost is probably the best option - possibly see what it mixes well with (mix with mushroom compost? - there's a place in carlow that sells this) and what attributes the apples can bring to the mix.

Haha well if anyone's idea gets us where we want to be, that could certainly be arranged! While the composting idea is a good one, we would still prefer to contribute to something a little more high value, such as the gluten-free flour, or something that makes use of the high levels of anti-oxidents

jme467 wrote: »
    Haha well if anyone's idea gets us where we want to be, that could certainly be arranged! While the composting idea is a good one, we would still prefer to contribute to something a little more high value, such as the gluten-free flour, or something that makes use of the high levels of anti-oxidents

I'll PM you my address. Dry cider would be my tipple of choice thanks ;)

Talk to the mulch guys. I bought some soil enricher of them a few months ago and they had all sorts of different types of compost/mulch. I'm sure they could make use of the anti-oxidants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

UCC are leaders in food science research with much interaction with the commercial food sector, give them a call? http://www.ucc.ie/en/fns/research/

UCC are leaders in food science research with much interaction with the commercial food sector, give them a call? http://www.ucc.ie/en/fns/research/

Good thinking! I haven't been able to get an answer so far, they might be closed for the Summer or something. Might just ping them an email and suss things out. Thank you :)
    I'll PM you my address. Dry cider would be my tipple of choice thanks ;)

Talk to the mulch guys. I bought some soil enricher of them a few months ago and they had all sorts of different types of compost/mulch. I'm sure they could make use of the anti-oxidants.

I'll give them a shout and see if they have any interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi jme467,

I think that you should consider using the pulp on site as a secondary business to your existing one.

I'm also sure that funding could be sourced from one of the enterprise boards, leader funding or as a joint venture with one of the agricultural co-ops in Cork.

The fact that you are taking a proactive approach to doing something with this waste product is to be lauded.

With my limited knowledge of this area, I would think that the machinery currently used by feed pellet manufacturers in Ireland could also be used to make apple pomace pellets.

Its not often that a business is presented with an opportunity to use their waste to create another source of income.

http://www.ctcfeed.com/CTC-English/?module=apple_pellete

If you decide that this is something you could do , I'll gladly take your case of cider.

Incidentally what brand do make as I'd love to support an Irish business.

I have also sent you a PM with a link to something that may interest you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You should be able to use the pulp in a biomass digester, you could get heat or electricity from it. SEAI should be able to help you. Look up anaerobic digisters.

I assume your from stonewell, you make a great Cider blows all other cider out if the water.

Keep up the great stuff. And I'll best to keep you guys on profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Could you pm me yourr brand too.i make a bit of country wine myself but would love to taste irish cider..+im thinking fertilizer..apple tart makers .alpen type cereal producers.how bout using it youselves on site as pellets to heat the factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I also want to know your brand and try it :)

Hi jme467,

I think that you should consider using the pulp on site as a secondary business to your existing one.

I'm also sure that funding could be sourced from one of the enterprise boards, leader funding or as a joint venture with one of the agricultural co-ops in Cork.

The fact that you are taking a proactive approach to doing something with this waste product is to be lauded.

With my limited knowledge of this area, I would think that the machinery currently used by feed pellet manufacturers in Ireland could also be used to make apple pomace pellets.

Its not often that a business is presented with an opportunity to use their waste to create another source of income.

http://www.ctcfeed.com/CTC-English/?module=apple_pellete

If you decide that this is something you could do , I'll gladly take your case of cider.

Incidentally what brand do make as I'd love to support an Irish business.

I have also sent you a PM with a link to something that may interest you.

Wow, thanks for all that, it's very much appreciated. As is your PM! You're definitely in the running I can't seem to find any pellet manufacturers in this country though :-/ If we could find the Irish equivalent of ctcfeed, it would be ideal! There really is no reason we shouldn't be doing this, as it benefits every party involved.

Although I cannot represent my own thought as the company's, I work for Stonewell Cider, based out of South Cork, and available all over the country (soon to be in N.Ireland).

I normally wouldn't have taken something like this to a public forum, but as our end goal is for the benefit of everyone, I thought there would be no one better to ask :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I also want to know your brand and try it :)

Stonewell Cider :) I must admit, that I am not a big drinker myself, maybe 2-3 times a year. But having only ever been a Bulmers drinker, my eyes were very much opened after the first Stonewell I had. There are actually quite a few growing Irish Craft Cider companies out there with some great products. And to be honest, I would much rather consume a quality when I do drink, than the mass-produced stuff.

Hopefully anyone that tries it enjoys it :)

We simply would not be able to handle the extra production, space, cash, marketing etc etc needed to produce our own. We really only produce for 3 months of the year, and it's very intense. The apple would have to be used daily, so as not to attract rodents or cause a smell.

It may be something to consider for down the line, but in the immediate future it would only lead to complete chaos for us. Whereas if someone else with capital and market knowledge were to do it, they could easily make money from what we would otherwise be terming as 'waste'

Fair enough. It is probably never going to make a stand alone business due to the seasonality of the raw material supply, perhaps as an add-on to someone already with drying/pelletizing equipment? Animal feed millers have this equipment!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jme467 wrote: »
    You're definitely in the running I can't seem to find any pellet manufacturers in this country though :-/ If we could find the Irish equivalent of ctcfeed, it would be ideal!
    Try getting in touch with southern milling in Cork City http://www.southernmilling.ie/

they make animal feed (pellets), Paul and Vincent are part of their company aswell and you may be able to work with them.

Enjoying a pint of Stonewell Medium Dry just now. Very nice! :)

• Advertisement

Fair enough. It is probably never going to make a stand alone business due to the seasonality of the raw material supply, perhaps as an add-on to someone already with drying/pelletizing equipment? Animal feed millers have this equipment!

I think that supply could go a long way, depending on the company it goes to. I believe the recommended % in feed/pellets is about 20% or under, so depending on how efficient their processes are, the wastage we would have could go a long way
    ted1 wrote: »
    Try getting in touch with southern milling in Cork City http://www.southernmilling.ie/ they make animal feed (pellets), Paul and Vincent are part of their company aswell and you may be able to work with them.

Would you believe, I have been trying them for about 3 weeks now, can't get anyone to return my calls or emails :(
    Enjoying a pint of Stonewell Medium Dry just now. Very nice! :)

Glad to hear that! :)

Had a Stonewells Dry at the weekend, it is a superb product, hope to see it in more pubs/club bars soon. A premium product, well worth it's price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Just came across this. If you haven't managed to find a use for them yet you should try Howard Feeds in Mallow. They might be interested in taking it for the animal feed :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Also, over in the Beer, Wine and Spirits Forum we'd all love to hear about any updates about Stonewell in general. :)

Advertisement