Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown' gets full series..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Not doing it for me this series. Not giving up hope yet. Josie really wanted to win this week and Rachel Riley's dress. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How many "new" eps are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Thargor wrote: »
    How many "new" eps are there?

Three so far this season I think.

Ruu wrote: »
    Not doing it for me this series. Not giving up hope yet. Josie really wanted to win this week and Rachel Riley's dress. :D

I'm starting to see that its wearing a bit thin now too. The "cats does countdown" thing is done, the novelty is gone. Its now just a repetitive celebrity countdown with the same batch of "how the **** is this guy famous" career panellists and Sean and John out of ideas.

Even the mighty Joe Wilkinson is getting a bit old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Novelty def worn off

Yeah definitely, at least they didn't make a regular thing out of Deal or no Deal, that was brutal. Id like to see them do other stuff like the Cube or something but channel 4 doesnt have many good game shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I enjoyed last weeks show. At least somebody on there wanted to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't understand why they keep doing the Countdown thing. The novelty has well worn off at this stage and its quite clear that at least Sean Lock is sick of it, wouldn't be surprised if others are too. Why continue doing it? I much prefer the show in its regular format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It really should just be a once a year show a Christmas or New Year special.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

He's as funny as any of the rest of them are to be fair, the entire thing is just a bit stale.

Tried to catch up on this at the weekend but couldn't do it, had to turn it off. Its just the same jokes over and over again now, the fake 9 letter words, the mascots, Joe Richardson, move on to something else or go back to the original format ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Really getting tired of this. Actually zoned out during it and went on my phone I was so bored.

Its so repetitive now, same jokes over and over.

I agree, bring back the old classic news format, its MUCH better than this drivel now.

Im guessing they are still doing these countdown shows as its much easier to show repeats at any time of the year, compare to the time sensitive regular version of "cats".

Novelty is well and truly gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I actually liked it tonight - seemed to be taking it serious with regards the actual game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Jo Brand was looking green around the gills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Joe Wilkinson's synchronised swimming thing was so funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I felt it was back on form tonight - much better than the past couple of weeks...

Last couple episodes were good actually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Last week's 'competition' was much better once Stephen Mangan put Lock's team so far ahead, it stopped the ridiculous 9s from Jon, 23-0 to 33-36 or something.

It works when someone decent is on Sean's team.

• Advertisement

Very good this week, helps to have someone decent in dictionary corner as well!

Ruu wrote: »
    Very good this week, helps to have someone decent in dictionary corner as well!

I would love to see Stephen Fry on there

I don't think a high calibre of guests is needed just on Sean's side though I think its just needed all round. The guests they usually have are really pretty bad. If they made an effort to get intelligent comedians rather than the usual circuit panellists it would be much better.

I don't think a high calibre of guests is needed just on Sean's side though I think its just needed all round. The guests they usually have are really pretty bad. If they made an effort to get intelligent comedians rather than the usual circuit panellists it would be much better.

What would your dream team be if you got the chance to cast it?

Unfortunately I think I'd veer towards many of the combinations of QI, but that is because they have some intelligent people on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's the format really that interferes with the comedy.There's too many of them and too little time to go around.

What would your dream team be if you got the chance to cast it?

Unfortunately I think I'd veer towards many of the combinations of QI, but that is because they have some intelligent people on there.

Yeah if I was at the helm I'd probably end up with QI does countdown too. They did have some great guests over the years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QI#Multiple_appearances The likes of John Sessions and Sandi Toksvig and those kinds of guest I think would be great for countdown.

I doubt you could get many of those for Cats Does Countdown though.

Yeah if I was at the helm I'd probably end up with QI does countdown too. They did have some great guests over the years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QI#Multiple_appearances The likes of John Sessions and Sandi Toksvig and those kinds of guest I think would be great for countdown.

I doubt you could get many of those for Cats Does Countdown though.

I agree with John & Sandi - also Dara for his maths brain, Prof Brian Cox - speaks for itself, Sue Perkins has an English degree. The research team really should be looking to find intelligent comedy acts for the show to give it some credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Claudia Winkleman was so annoying. I was half expecting Jon Richardson so tell her to STFU

gazzer wrote: »
    Claudia Winkleman was so annoying. I was half expecting Jon Richardson so tell her to STFU

Yeah I don't get her tbh. Her shtick is just being overly confused and excited. As ya said it was just really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Jo Brand seems to be everywhere at the moment.

There is quite a lot of her so it's easy for her to be in a few places at the same time. I'm sure she'd say that about herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

KKkitty wrote: »
    There is quite a lot of her so it's easy for her to be in a few places at the same time. I'm sure she'd say that about herself.

I think she's brilliant, love that sarky sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Joe Wilkinson will be the death of this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

He's a comedian's comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Joe Wilkinson will be the death of this show.

I agree, he has become very annoying. That Jake yapp deal or no deal sketch was cringy.

I think they should only do a few of these a year they are getting very old.

Dj wrote: »
    That Jake yapp deal or no deal sketch was cringy.

I thought it was brilliant. Very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The OI joke wasn't funny the first time.. 3 times tonight? Lazy. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    The OI joke wasn't funny the first time.. 3 times tonight? Lazy. :)

In fairness the 'turn the 10 upside down' bit was funny.....:pac:

Decent enough show. Josh Widdicombe milking his oi gag for all it was worth was the only bad thing about it tbh.

• Advertisement

I like Josh Widdicombe in Mock the Week but he was poor enough here. Not too bad of an episode.

I don't get the abdicates joke :/

Richard Osman on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown tonight- giving it a chance but not looking great so far

Heroic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

it should be renamed "8 Out of 10 Cats never does anything but bleeding Countdown"

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    it should be renamed "8 Out of 10 Cats never does anything but bleeding Countdown"

It should be called flogging a dead horse

• Advertisement

Bob Mortimer and Sean Lock together are great.

Gave up. QI on Netflix

I just checked SRO Audiences and 8 Out Of Ten Cats is accepting applications for tickets so it must be coming back at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »

Are they ever going to bring back the proper 8 out of 10 cats??

Dj wrote: »
    Are they ever going to bring back the proper 8 out of 10 cats??

Yeah, as I said above, they're looking for audience members at the moment. They don't have any dates yet but I'd imagine it will be the Autumn at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement