Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

So we can't have abortions because of something which doesn't exist, invented in less enlightened times to explain the fact of human consciousness?

Can this possibly get any more ridiculous?

you said what I say is not worth of thought and yet you still continue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

mbiking123 wrote: »
    See, hence my Southpark quote, over another persons head

That was the suggestion made to me so I gave a Southpark reply ! ha ha

http://southpark.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_References

Why are you so proud of this quote?!

Probably millions of spotty, socially awkward teenagers can reel off the same thing.

It's funny how you're keen to make sure you respond to people not getting this reference, yet you ignore salient questions directly related to the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Are you going to answer these questions? I'd appreciate it if you just told me you weren't going to answer if you can't/won't answer them.

On the matter of a soul:
    Is it measurable?
    How do you know it is attained at conception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Hey, I like shooting fish in barrels, it's fun. And you're such an easy target.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You still haven't answered my question. What does a load of old fairy tales have to do with the topic in hand? Have these myths any bearing whatsoever on a woman's choice?

• Advertisement

Why are you so proud of this quote?!

Probably millions of spotty, socially awkward teenagers can reel off the same thing.

It's funny how you're keen to make sure you respond to people not getting this reference, yet you ignore salient questions directly related to the debate.

Did you see why I made this comment, did you read what went before it

Did you see the reaction to the comment !!!!

Hey, I like shooting fish in barrels, it's fun. And you're such an easy target.

Just goes to show the attitude here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Did you see why I made this comment, did you read what went before it

Did you see the reaction to the comment !!!!

Yes.

Are you planning on responding just as energetically to other reactions to your posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Just goes to show the attitude here

'Here'?

How so?

Hive mind????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Hi mbiking,

What about all the unborn babies God killed when he unleased the great flood? Was that not abortion on a grand scale?

• Advertisement

Hi mbiking,

What about all the unborn babies God killed when he unleased the great flood? Was that not abortion on a grand scale?

Conclusion

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In context, the passage before us gives a plausible reason why God would eradicate almost all of humanity. Its position in the opening verses of the Flood account serves as an introduction to the greatest destruction of human life in history. Satanic influx, the “seed” of Satan, entered the human race by the action of those fallen angels. Only “Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations”, (Genesis 6:9). The word “generations” is the Hebrew word, toledah. Usually it is used in Genesis to mean “family history”. However its primary meaning is “descent” or “family lineage”. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Noah was free of sinful angelic seed. His family line was perfect. Thus only he, his sons and their wives were exempt from the annihilation which came to all other humans. Satan tried at various times to prevent the “bruising of his head” by the seed of the woman, Genesis 3:15. He tried in Egypt by causing all the male babies to be drowned. He tried as the Israelites were about to enter the Promised Land through the agency of Balak and Balaam. He tried by means of Haman to extinguish the Jews. He tried at the birth of Jesus through Herod’s slaughter of the young boys of Bethlehem. He tried by tempting Jesus in the wilderness. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Satan did everything he could to keep mankind from being saved by the blood of the Lamb. If he couldn’t kill Him outright, if he couldn’t stop the Jewish nation from producing the Messiah, he would try to prevent the atonement by causing Him to sin. Our Savior had to be sinless in order to be the propitiation for our sins. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]And, I believe, the Genesis 6:1-4 passage relates one of Satan’s early attempts. He wanted to infect the whole human race with Satanic seed so there could be no possibility of a sinless substitute who could make atonement for the sins of all mankind. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The proclamation Jesus made to those very angels who had infected the human race was to the effect that God had defeated Satan’s scheme and He, Himself, Incarnate God and Holy Man, was proof of that! [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]God spared Noah. He prevented the plague from continuing through human procreation by eliminating all those who either carried it or had the potential to do so, by means of the Flood. And by doing so continued the line God intended to use in bringing His Son into the world to be our Savior. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thank God for the Flood! He, by it, was working to bring us salvation! [/FONT]

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2006/06/28/Why-Did-God-Send-the-Flood.aspx#Article

use google and knock yourself out

Conclusion

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In context, the passage before us gives a plausible reason why God would eradicate almost all of humanity. Its position in the opening verses of the Flood account serves as an introduction to the greatest destruction of human life in history. Satanic influx, the “seed” of Satan, entered the human race by the action of those fallen angels. Only “Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations”, (Genesis 6:9). The word “generations” is the Hebrew word, toledah. Usually it is used in Genesis to mean “family history”. However its primary meaning is “descent” or “family lineage”. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Noah was free of sinful angelic seed. His family line was perfect. Thus only he, his sons and their wives were exempt from the annihilation which came to all other humans. Satan tried at various times to prevent the “bruising of his head” by the seed of the woman, Genesis 3:15. He tried in Egypt by causing all the male babies to be drowned. He tried as the Israelites were about to enter the Promised Land through the agency of Balak and Balaam. He tried by means of Haman to extinguish the Jews. He tried at the birth of Jesus through Herod’s slaughter of the young boys of Bethlehem. He tried by tempting Jesus in the wilderness. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Satan did everything he could to keep mankind from being saved by the blood of the Lamb. If he couldn’t kill Him outright, if he couldn’t stop the Jewish nation from producing the Messiah, he would try to prevent the atonement by causing Him to sin. Our Savior had to be sinless in order to be the propitiation for our sins. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]And, I believe, the Genesis 6:1-4 passage relates one of Satan’s early attempts. He wanted to infect the whole human race with Satanic seed so there could be no possibility of a sinless substitute who could make atonement for the sins of all mankind. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The proclamation Jesus made to those very angels who had infected the human race was to the effect that God had defeated Satan’s scheme and He, Himself, Incarnate God and Holy Man, was proof of that! [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]God spared Noah. He prevented the plague from continuing through human procreation by eliminating all those who either carried it or had the potential to do so, by means of the Flood. And by doing so continued the line God intended to use in bringing His Son into the world to be our Savior. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thank God for the Flood! He, by it, was working to bring us salvation! [/FONT]

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2006/06/28/Why-Did-God-Send-the-Flood.aspx#Article

Just in case you missed this post:

Are you going to answer these questions? I'd appreciate it if you just told me you weren't going to answer if you can't/won't answer them.

On the matter of a soul:
    1. Is it measurable?
    2. How do you know it is attained at conception?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Conclusion

Do you know that Noah was 600 years old when he built the ark? And lived on to 950 years of age?

Yep, 'tis amazing what you can find out with google.

Anyways, why were Noah's daughters-in-law spared when the rest of their families were exterminated? Weren't they infected with Satan's seed? But newborns were?

All seems very contradictory...

Just in case you missed this post:

On the matter of a soul:
    1. Is it measurable?
    2. How do you know it is attained at conception?

http://www.catechism.cc/articles/life-begins-at-conception.htm

loads of it on the Internet !

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Do you know that Noah was 600 years old when he built the ark? And lived on to 950 years of age?

All seems very contradictory...

Where did you read that

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Conclusion

Fantastic. Copy-pasta and still didn't answer the question:rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Have you any explanation that doesn't appeal to catechism?
    Where did you read that

Huh? Are you for real? Are you going to claim you've never read the bible properly?

Hint: Genesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Em, folks.

*waves*

Hi,

There's already another thread dedicated to Noah. There's also the behemoth thread on 'Origin of Specious of Nonsense' both threads are more suitable for several of posts being posted here. Finally, Happy Friday everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Where did you read that

I imagine he read it in your bible. Btw, you still haven't answered my question. What does a load of old fairy tales have to do with the topic in hand? Have these myths any bearing whatsoever on a woman's choice?

Pherekydes wrote: »

Hint: Genesis.

Wow, never knew that

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    What does a load of old fairy tales have to do with the topic in hand? ?

look abortion in a fairly tale

'Yes, certainly,” cried the mother stork. “I have thought upon the best way to be revenged. I know the pond in which all the little children lie, waiting till the storks come to take them to their parents. The prettiest little babies lie there dreaming more sweetly than they will ever dream in the time to come. All parents are glad to have a little child, and children are so pleased with a little brother or sister. Now we will fly to the pond and fetch a little baby for each of the children who did not sing that naughty song to make game of the storks.”

“But the naughty boy, who began the song first, what shall we do to him?” cried the young storks.
    “There lies in the pond a little dead baby who has dreamed itself to death,” said the mother. “We will take it to the naughty boy, and he will cry because we have brought him a little dead brother. But you have not forgotten the good boy who said it was a shame to laugh at animals: we will take him a little brother and sister too, because he was good. He is called Peter, and you shall all be called Peter in future.” So they all did what their mother had arranged, and from that day, even till now, all the storks have been called Peter'

http://www.fairytalescollection.com/Hans_Christian_Anderson/The_Storks_print.htm

Wow, never knew that

Yet, you link to

and

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Uh, there's no abortion there. Are you sure you got the right story? It'd be terribly embarrassing otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its either my flu or we've gone into weird territory.......

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

look abortion in a fairly tale

'Yes, certainly,” cried the mother stork. “I have thought upon the best way to be revenged. I know the pond in which all the little children lie, waiting till the storks come to take them to their parents. The prettiest little babies lie there dreaming more sweetly than they will ever dream in the time to come. All parents are glad to have a little child, and children are so pleased with a little brother or sister. Now we will fly to the pond and fetch a little baby for each of the children who did not sing that naughty song to make game of the storks.”

“But the naughty boy, who began the song first, what shall we do to him?” cried the young storks.
    “There lies in the pond a little dead baby who has dreamed itself to death,” said the mother. “We will take it to the naughty boy, and he will cry because we have brought him a little dead brother. But you have not forgotten the good boy who said it was a shame to laugh at animals: we will take him a little brother and sister too, because he was good. He is called Peter, and you shall all be called Peter in future.” So they all did what their mother had arranged, and from that day, even till now, all the storks have been called Peter'

http://www.fairytalescollection.com/Hans_Christian_Anderson/The_Storks_print.htm

That's a stillborn child for the naughty boy. No abortion happens in the text you posted.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Nodin wrote: »
    Its either my flu or we've gone into weird territory.......

Oh you have that too? I spent last weekend dreaming I was trapped in a version of The Stanley Parable, where the narrator had inflicted me with high temperature, stomach cramps and vomiting just to prove a point about how the narrative makes a slave of the player. He was narrating all the details of the height of my illness in those soothing upper-class British tones of his...

That's just someone saying something, where's the evidence? I can say we're all actually a part of Satan's brain, doesn't make it true. I can find websites claiming we are an alien colony, doesn't make it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

How do you reconcile this with the assertion of Augustine of Hippo that the foetus was "ensouled" at 40 days if a boy and 80 to 90 days if a girl (thus endorsing sex selective abortions no less), then? Augustine is the go to guy when the catholic church wants to show the authority for its "teachings".

Or the fact for a nearly 370 year period between the 16th and 19th centuries the church taught that ensoulment didn't happen until 16 1/2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

tangent.jpg

Keep the thread on the road of the abortion please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

But that road is all slippery and will lead to forced abortions!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement