Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

mbiking123 wrote: »
    well this is an abortion thread, perhaps start one for people on life support machines

I was referring to those aborted in Sweden, who was representing them - nobody - just killed

Do you understand what analogies are? Do you understand why they are used?

Are you seriously incapable of seeing the similarities between a human on a life support machine and (what you claim to be) a human whose life is supported by another human?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Do you understand what analogies are? Do you understand why they are used?

Are you seriously incapable of seeing the similarities between a human on a life support machine and (what you claim to be) a human whose life is supported by another human?

pro life term denotes opposition to a procedure that intentionally results in dead babies.

get it !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

pro life term denotes opposition to a procedure that intentionally results in dead babies.

get it !

Why only 'babies'?

Is it ok to engage in a procedure that will result in life support for a three year old who has been declared brain dead being discontinued with the objective of deliberately killing it?

What about a two year old?

Or a 6 month old?

6 week old?

6 day old?

At what age do you stop opposing it?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Why only 'babies'?

Is it ok to engage in a procedure that will result in life support for a three year old who has been declared brain dead being discontinued with the objective of deliberately killing it?

What about a two year old?

Or a 6 month old?

6 week old?

6 day old?

At what age do you stop opposing it?

Is it abortion ? No that is the topic

This has been dealt with already

You are going around in circles

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

get it !

no it doesn't. It means a person is in favor of legal protection for embryos and foetuses.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Is it abortion ? No that is the topic

This has been dealt with already

You are going around in circles
    No, but it is the killing of a child. I thought that is what you were against... Why do you lose interest once it is born?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Why do you lose interest once it is born?

MrP

No I don't, this goes around in circles

it this the best people can do ?

next it will be am I a member of CND, or anti war movement, some pro Palestine movement

anyway so given the following 'If a child is born alive following a botched abortion, should the abortionist be required to try to save its life? According to a Planned Parenthood lobbyist, the child's right to life after birth should also be a matter of choice.'

from http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/planned-parenthood-official-defends-post-birth-abortions

So the child is born, IT IS WRONG TO KILL THE CHILD - GOT IT

Given this example I am sure people here think its the choice of the mother to kill the baby. 'my choice' frame of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

koth wrote: »
    what's your point? Women who have abortions are sluts or that abortion allows for the killing of 10 year olds?:confused:

I think his point is that he never watched that episode, because the joke at the end is that she didn't mean abortion, she meant adoption.

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

LOL :D

If you can read this, you're too close!

get it !

As Mr P has pointed out - your definition says 'opposition to a procedure that intentionally results in dead babies' - is a 6 week old not a baby?

Interesting that you are now claiming once they are born it is no longer abortion in your eyes given the number of references you have previously made to 'post-birth' abortions.

6 weeks old = post-birth.
    Turn off life support = intention is to kill.

Why is that not one of these 'post-birth abortions' you have been banging on about?

If the baby was 6 days old would it be a 'post-birth' abortion?
    Or 6 hours?

• Advertisement

I think his point is that he never watched that episode, because the joke at the end is that she didn't mean abortion, she meant adoption.

Eh, yes I know

tis only a joke, not meant to be serious

Was made because of the other comments

The old start trek one had an even better reaction !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Jernal wrote: »
    How can a man get an abortion? :confused:

Trans men can get pregnant and sometimes they need an abortion.

Also

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/chinese-boy-xiao-feng-gives-birth-to-twin-brother-after-doctors-find-foetus-growing-in-his-stomach/story-fneuzlbd-1226731186670
    A two-year-old Chinese boy had surgery to "give birth" to his twin brother, after stunned doctors discovered his parasitic twin brother's foetus inside his stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

get it !

Yup but as the over whelming majority of abortions are done with the abortion pill, which causes an embryo to pass from the body and an embryo is not a baby I don't get why there is such opposition to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Its as simple as this, mistakes happen. One mistake that ends a life is too much.

Based on this logic, a huge number of normal medical procedures would not be allowed. After all, general anaesthesia itself has a low but non-zero risk of fatality associated with it. Or maybe the anaesthetist will make a mistake and kill the patient - should we refuse to operate, just in case?

We are far more willing to take (calculated) risks with life than you might care to admit.

Let me hazard a guess from your username that you ride motorbikes. Surely that is deliberately choosing to risk your life, as one little mistake could be fatal? Should motorbikes be banned as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

All pregnancies carry risks. Maybe we shouldn't allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Did you join up ?

I'm sure that aloyisious is about as likely to join the Hitler Jugend Defence as I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

get it !

So you're not in favour of killing children between birth and about 18 months. What about the rest of us?

Oh, wait...your AK-47 comment seems to suggest that we're ok for killing if we disagree with you.

Big of you, mbiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So you're not in favour of killing children between birth and about 18 months. What about the rest of us?

Oh, wait...your AK-47 comment seems to suggest that we're ok for killing if we disagree with you.

Big of you, mbiking.

The AK-47 southpark reference did not suggest Mbiking was ok with killing people. The next person to even so much as reference that post will be carded and banned for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Master calls for new termination law
    The Master of Dublin's Rotunda Hospital has said Ireland's prohibition on terminations for pregnant women in cases of fatal fetal abnormality should be addressed.

Dr Sam Coulter Smith, in an interview with irishhealth.com, described as 'crazy' the current situation whereby women in cases where they are carrying infants with fatal fetal abnormalities are forced to travel to the UK for terminations.

And...
    The abortion debate

"I think we still don't know what the impact of the Protection of Life During Pregnancy legislation is going to be. However, I think from the point of view of very sick mothers, people who have life-threatening conditions that are complications of pregnancy or where people have other issues that complicate pregnancy, the care of those women will continue, certainly in this hospital, in the way that it always has."

"The protection of the life of the mother is something that is paramount. Obviously, every effort is made to protect the life of the child but in a situation where if the mother is going to die then the baby is going to die then we have obviously got to do everything possible to save the life of the mother. I never believed the legislation was going to affect that particular situation."

Very interesting article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

look abortion in a fairly tale

'Yes, certainly,” cried the mother stork. “I have thought upon the best way to be revenged. I know the pond in which all the little children lie, waiting till the storks come to take them to their parents. The prettiest little babies lie there dreaming more sweetly than they will ever dream in the time to come. All parents are glad to have a little child, and children are so pleased with a little brother or sister. Now we will fly to the pond and fetch a little baby for each of the children who did not sing that naughty song to make game of the storks.”

“But the naughty boy, who began the song first, what shall we do to him?” cried the young storks.
    “There lies in the pond a little dead baby who has dreamed itself to death,” said the mother. “We will take it to the naughty boy, and he will cry because we have brought him a little dead brother. But you have not forgotten the good boy who said it was a shame to laugh at animals: we will take him a little brother and sister too, because he was good. He is called Peter, and you shall all be called Peter in future.” So they all did what their mother had arranged, and from that day, even till now, all the storks have been called Peter'

http://www.fairytalescollection.com/Hans_Christian_Anderson/The_Storks_print.htm

So you still won't answer my question what has a non existent deity and some archaic and highly suspect biblical bobbins got to do with a woman's choice over her body?

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    So you still won't answer my question what has a non existent deity and some archaic and highly suspect biblical bobbins ................................................................

Where did you get that from, did you come up with it yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Is this an adult discussion ? It seems to have descended to a kindergarden one. I posted on the principles of when human life starts and no one even bothered to comment back. Maybe it's a private debate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Piliger wrote: »
    Is this an adult discussion ? It seems to have descended to a kindergarden one. I posted on the principles of when human life starts and no one even bothered to comment back. Maybe it's a private debate ?

I'm sorry - here, you have the drum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm sorry - here, you have the drum now.

It's a conch, not a drum. :p

pauldla wrote: »
    It's a conch, not a drum. :p

Thank F for that. I thought it was a stick. I thought I had the stick. I thought the dogs ran away with the stick.
    But it's a conch so never mind. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

get it !

So turning off life support on a brain dead patient should be outlawed in your view?

I don't think that foetuses are babies, I don't think life begins at conception. I think human beings are more than the sum of our parts.

get it !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Where did you get that from, did you come up with it yourself ?

So you still won't answer my question what has a non existent deity and some archaic and highly suspect biblical bobbins got to do with a woman's choice over her body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

To be fair, he doesn't actually have an answer. Now I know the dignified thing to do there would be just admitting it, but some folks just can't do that, preferring to spout irrelevant crap. Perhaps they hope one of their one-liners will sting enough that those asking the questions will give up? Heh, spectacular mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I think we've all got it.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    To be fair, he doesn't actually have an answer. Now I know the dignified thing to do there would be just admitting it, but some folks just can't do that, preferring to spout irrelevant crap. Perhaps they hope one of their one-liners will sting enough that those asking the questions will give up? Heh, spectacular mistake.

What is the question so

What do I not have an answer for ?

I don't know the question never mind give an answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement