Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

mbiking123 wrote: »
    What is the question so

What do I not have an answer for ?

I don't know the question never mind give an answer
    On the off chance you're being sincere:
    old hippy wrote: »
    So you still won't answer my question what has a non existent deity and some archaic and highly suspect biblical bobbins got to do with a woman's choice over her body?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

On the off chance you're being sincere:

Ok I did not even think 'So you still won't answer my question what has a non existent deity and some archaic and highly suspect biblical bobbins got to do with a woman's choice over her body?'

that was a question ? I thought it was some kind of statement

The Bible itself says it is from God, mankind’s Creator
    2 Tim. 3:16, 17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”
    Rev. 1:1: “A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place.”

We would expect God’s message to all mankind to be available around the globe. The Bible, the whole or in part, has been translated into some 1,800 languages. Its circulation totals in the billions. Says The World Book Encyclopedia: “The Bible is the most widely read book in history. It is probably also the most influential. More copies have been distributed of the Bible than of any other book. It has also been translated more times into more languages than any other book.”—(1984), Vol. 2, p. 219.

Bible prophecy explains the meaning of world conditions
    Many world leaders acknowledge that mankind is on the brink of disaster. The Bible foretold these conditions long ago; it explains their meaning and what the outcome will be. (2 Tim. 3:1-5; Luke 21:25-31) It tells what we must do in order to survive the impending world destruction, with the opportunity to gain eternal life under righteous conditions here on earth.—Zeph. 2:3; John 17:3; Ps. 37:10, 11, 29.

The Bible enables us to understand the purpose of life
    It answers such questions as: Where did life come from? (Acts 17:24-26) Why are we here? Is it just to live a few years, get what we can out of life, and then die?—Gen. 1:27, 28; Rom. 5:12; John 17:3; Ps. 37:11; Ps. 40:8.

It explains that God’s Kingdom, his government, will remove the present wicked system (Dan. 2:44), and under its rule mankind will be able to enjoy perfect health and eternal life.—Rev. 21:3, 4; compare Isaiah 33:24.
    Surely a book that claims to be from God, that explains both the meaning of world conditions and the purpose of life, and that shows how our problems will be solved is worthy of consideration.
    Evidences of inspiration
    It is filled with prophecies reflecting detailed knowledge of the future—something impossible for humans
    2 Pet. 1:20, 21: “No prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.
    Its internal harmony is significant
    This is especially so in view of the fact that the books of the Bible were recorded by some 40 men as diverse as king, prophet, herdsman, tax collector, and physician. They did the writing over a period of 1,610 years; so there was no opportunity for collusion. Yet their writings agree, even in the smallest detail. To appreciate the extent to which the various portions of the Bible are harmoniously intertwined, you must read and study it personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Ok I did not even think 'So you still won't answer my question what has a non existent deity and some archaic and highly suspect biblical bobbins got to do with a woman's choice over her body?'

{...}

The bolded bits above are what led me to believe it was a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

2 Tim. 3:16, 17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”
    Rev. 1:1: “A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place.”

We would expect God’s message to all mankind to be available around the globe. The Bible, the whole or in part, has been translated into some 1,800 languages. Its circulation totals in the billions. Says The World Book Encyclopedia: “The Bible is the most widely read book in history. It is probably also the most influential. More copies have been distributed of the Bible than of any other book. It has also been translated more times into more languages than any other book.”—(1984), Vol. 2, p. 219.

Many world leaders acknowledge that mankind is on the brink of disaster. The Bible foretold these conditions long ago; it explains their meaning and what the outcome will be. (2 Tim. 3:1-5; Luke 21:25-31) It tells what we must do in order to survive the impending world destruction, with the opportunity to gain eternal life under righteous conditions here on earth.—Zeph. 2:3; John 17:3; Ps. 37:10, 11, 29.

It answers such questions as: Where did life come from? (Acts 17:24-26) Why are we here? Is it just to live a few years, get what we can out of life, and then die?—Gen. 1:27, 28; Rom. 5:12; John 17:3; Ps. 37:11; Ps. 40:8.

It explains that God’s Kingdom, his government, will remove the present wicked system (Dan. 2:44), and under its rule mankind will be able to enjoy perfect health and eternal life.—Rev. 21:3, 4; compare Isaiah 33:24.
    Surely a book that claims to be from God, that explains both the meaning of world conditions and the purpose of life, and that shows how our problems will be solved is worthy of consideration.
    Evidences of inspiration
    It is filled with prophecies reflecting detailed knowledge of the future—something impossible for humans
    2 Pet. 1:20, 21: “No prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.
    This is especially so in view of the fact that the books of the Bible were recorded by some 40 men as diverse as king, prophet, herdsman, tax collector, and physician. They did the writing over a period of 1,610 years; so there was no opportunity for collusion. Yet their writings agree, even in the smallest detail. To appreciate the extent to which the various portions of the Bible are harmoniously intertwined, you must read and study it personally.

This guy...

Are you still making out like you're not the one bringing religion into the debate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

This guy...

Are you still making out like you're not the one bringing religion into the debate?

Hold on , I was asked a question on the bible so I did not start it. In fact people demanded an answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Sarky wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

....and the slaves of God. Fair trips off the tongue. Could be either an avant garde boy-band, or a joyless way of life.

Oh, I just use that exclamation for the sound of it. Lots of sibilance and harsh consonants. Almost like speaking Klingon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Obliq wrote: »
    ....and the slaves of God.

It's okay if the owner treats them well. :rolleyes:

Like "Christ on a f*cking bike". I use that one a lot. Still though - Jesus Christ and the slaves of God. Catchy?

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    Like "Christ on a f*cking bike". I use that one a lot. Still though - Jesus Christ and the slaves of God. Catchy?

I could see an indie band bearing that name, certainly. They'd be big in Japan, ironically...

It's okay if the owner treats them well. :rolleyes:

It just jumped out at me, in the midst of a joyless post. *Name for boyband - may come in useful someday* (as you do)

Sarky wrote: »
    I could see an indie band bearing that name, certainly. They'd be big in Japan, ironically...

Would be a fair swap for Godzilla. I could get with that. Or that Korean sea monster....jaysus, name escapes me, but it was a fabulous film. Damn. Google...

THE HOST!! Bloody brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

To appreciate the extent to which the various portions of the Bible are harmoniously intertwined, you must read and study it personally.

Err no. I won't thanks because it is a load of fictional, misogynist immoral KRAP. You can follow the fairies if you like but the rest of here will pass :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭Davelarson

Bet some of you guys are feeling pretty euphoric right now.

Davelarson wrote: »

Any particular reason? I mean I still have a bit of the glow from a very nice cup of tea I made about 20 minutes ago, but is there an abortion-related reason I should be happy?

Excellent! You're back. You may have missed my post concerning your contradictory beliefs, here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87530604&postcount=3073

Euphoric is my default condition, but I would be simply ecstatic if you were to discuss this with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nodin wrote: »
    Why?

Because mbiking123 has outed himself as another creationist who thinks the bible is the literal truth?

Maybe...

/shrugs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Because mbiking123 has outed himself as another creationist who thinks the bible is the literal truth?

Maybe...

/shrugs

I must have missed the creationist bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Evidences of inspiration

So you base your opinions on reproductive rights based off a book written by a committee of old men who wanted to big up what was then a minor war god in the pantheon of a minor people who lived on the edges (both physically and politically) of the mesopotamian region, in order to try and make themselves look more important and powerful than they really were?

Somehow I don't think you realise how off kilter your decision making process really is.

Hold on , I was asked a question on the bible so I did not start it. In fact people demanded an answer

How many times have you denied that religion is the basis of your anti-abortion stance??

Then you go and copy and paste some sh!te purporting to tell us why we should heed the words of the Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Why is it that certain flavours of Christian always come back to this 'but if you just read the Bible...' BS (usually coupled with '..and think for yourself!').

I've read the Bible. Reading that wretched book is one of the main reasons I became an atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

pauldla wrote: »
    Why is it that certain flavours of Christian always come back to this 'but if you just read the Bible...' BS (usually coupled with '..and think for yourself!').

I've read the Bible. Reading that wretched book is one of the main reasons I became an atheist.

Fair play to ye. I tried twice and never got past genesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Fair play to ye. I tried twice and never got past genesis.

I read it a long time ago, when I thought I was religious. Read the whole damn thing from start to finish, and it put years on me. Wouldn't read it again now for love nor money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

pauldla wrote: »
    I read it a long time ago, when I thought I was religious. Read the whole damn thing from start to finish, and it put years on me. Wouldn't read it again now for love nor money.

Read it several times.
    First to see what the fuss was about.
    Last time was because it was part of my job researching the iconographic bun fight between Luther and Rome.

If I ever have to read it again it better be for an awful lot of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The Bible itself says bla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bs bla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bs bla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bs bla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bs bla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bs bla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bs bla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bsbla bla bla bla bla bla bs bs bs To appreciate the extent to which the various portions of the Bible are harmoniously intertwined, you must read and study it personally.

So, you're not going to answer my question then? Instead you want me to read that vile piece of misogynist, homophobic, racist trash again? No thanks, read it cover to cover 30 years ago and that's enough for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I always get a hard on for drive by postings, if that's what you mean, Dave? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭Davelarson

Why?

It's a meme. I know atheism is important to you guys but sometimes you really do come across as edgy teenagers.

• Advertisement

It's a meme. I know atheism is important to you guys but sometimes you really do come across as edgy teenagers.

:confused:

What meme are you on about??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement