Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

mbiking123 wrote: »
    No, you just basically call me a liar

If you don't like it you can put me on ignore. I'm not going to point out where you are wrong just because of your hurt feelings.

As I said above it is not for you I point out the big lies in your posts, it is for others who might not notice them.

Anyways, do you have anything constructive to add to the abortion debate, or is this little sideshow just because you've run out of links to extreme right wing catholic websites to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

If you don't like it you can put me on ignore. I'm not going to point out where you are wrong just because of your hurt feelings.

As I said above it is not for you I point out the big lies in your posts, it is for others who might not notice them.

Anyways, do you have anything constructive to add to the abortion debate, or is this little sideshow just because you've run out of links to extreme right wing catholic websites to post?

Why would I for you ? you have accused me of being a liar. I have suggested that if you really want I could give you full information but not on a public forum. This has been rejected and given what has been said is pointless as no matter what I say is coming from a liar (in your opinion)

Not the first time you have been pig headed and am sure not the last

You have said you are from Limerick, another poster said she actually had an abortion. You don't see me of accusing people of lying !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

You have said you are from Limerick, another poster said she actually had an abortion. You don't see me of accusing people of lying !

I know, right?!! I mean LIMERICK?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Given that three to four thousand travel yearly, I fail to see why that's a shock....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Obliq wrote: »
    I know, right?!! I mean LIMERICK?!

Ya, big thing to admit to

Limerick

'Formerly of Lisheen Park, Patrickswell, he was jailed in 2003 for spitting at a Guard.'

http://aliveinlimerick2.blogspot.ie/2010_05_01_archive.html

'assault charges relating to the same incident where he spat, punched and kicked members of the gardai.'

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2010/01/27/six-months-in-prison-for-assaulting-gardai/

and another one this time from Donegal

'He had been convicted earlier this year in the district court of spitting on two young boys — his own nephews'

http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/ireland/cweysngbidkf/

Up yours where the sun don't shine Brian Shanahan - knock yourself out on Google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Munster won today that is all.
    Oh and that's the last action by mbiking in this forum.

Jernal wrote: »
    Munster won today that is all.
    Oh and that's the last action by mbiking in this forum.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Blathnaid's interviewing a woman who travelled for an abortion on RTÉ One now, just thinking it's really brave of her.

Can't figure out if Blathnaid's being judgemental or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

TheChizler wrote: »
    Blathnaid's interviewing a woman who travelled for an abortion on RTÉ One now, just thinking it's really brave of her.

Can't figure out if Blathnaid's being judgemental or not...

That's just what I was thinking watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I think Blathnaid was trying too hard to seem to be neither accepting or judgemental, either way how she asked what she asked was cringeworthy imo.

• Advertisement

So, em, Joe Duffy tomorrow? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Must watch this on the player. But yeah... Will be avoiding Radio 1 from about 1.45 onwards tomorrow...!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

So, em, Joe Duffy tomorrow? :pac:

Gods, hadn't considered that, blerg, I think being on Joe Duffy once a year is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Morag wrote: »
    Gods, hadn't considered that, blerg, I think being on Joe Duffy once a year is enough.

There was a fiery rant about cyclists left unfinished last Friday, they may leave this topic of lesser importance alone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Joe Duffy -- is he like George Hook?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

robindch wrote: »
    Joe Duffy -- is he like George Hook?

No, he's far more irritating.

lazygal wrote: »
    No, he's far more irritating.
    That. Is. Not. Possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That. Is. Not. Possible.

Oh yes it is.

I have no words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I have no words.

What all happened?

• Advertisement

That. Is. Not. Possible.

He's worse by a long margin. People call into his show with real genuine problems. Even when the solution is obvious Joe just listens to them whine and groan. It actually feels like he goes out of his way to amplify their feelings of injustice or sadness. Person calls in having lost their son's medical card that morning. Instead of actually informing them of avenues they can take to resolve the situation Joe just keeps trying to paint the picture that the HSE were taking cards off the almost dead. He just lets them wallow in their pain and suffering. Crying on air, panicking over what they'll do next. And, not once, is there a suggestion even offered towards potential resolutions. It's all the big system screwing over the little guys and there's nothing that can be done. It's disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I guess The Savage Eye's portrayal of him was accurate. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

He's worse by a long margin.

Everything you said, and more....but honestly - there is no voice more grating on my nerves than George Hook's. Those drawn out plummy vowels that become almost unintelligible as soon as he starts speaking with someone further up the pecking order than most. For someone so fecking self-righteously opinionated as our George, he does a great line in sycophantic grovelling.

But Joe is the lowest life-form on Irish radio. This is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Crusader

In that case how come they are so popular ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Just finished watching last nights "Moment of Truth".

I must say, Danielle was such a brave woman. To speak so candidly in a country like ours about abortion takes guts.

IMHO, she is basically like pro-choice people on here;
    - There should be a choice
    - no shame
    - no flippancy
    - no need to travel
    - make it as safe as possible
    - give support before, during and after
    - know the personal limitations and "moral"* limitations
    - respect everyone's choice about it.

Many pro-life people think having a termination is such a quick and easy thing to do. It clearly isn't. Danielle spoke about how up to the point where she was given the anaesthetic, she could have walked out of the clinic. Even before she chose to have it, she was given counselling. She was told every option; carrying to term, adoption, and she knew they wouldn't work for her.

What happened to her after the procedure is why we need to have abortions here, not in a foreign country. As she said, she was lucky that she was in England so they spoke her language, but it could have been much different.

Abortions, like every medical procedure can, and do in some cases, go wrong. And when it does go wrong, where do you want to be? An airport in a different country, or near, even in your local hospital? I know where I'd want to be!

IMO, she embodies the general pro-choice feeling in this country; she wants the choice, but she herself knows that there is a point where you can't do it because you are then ending a viable life. She knew that at 12 weeks, there was no chance anything inside her would have survived; even on the scan she said "it was just a sack".

I think it was clear from her explanations that her choice was not easy; to this day she thinks "what if". But that what if would man she wouldn't have her 2 kids. She went through with her pregnancy because 1. She wanted the child, and 2. She was ready to support it.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, RTE player link here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

He's worse by a long margin. People call into his show with real genuine problems. Even when the solution is obvious Joe just listens to them whine and groan. It actually feels like he goes out of his way to amplify their feelings of injustice or sadness. Person calls in having lost their son's medical card that morning. Instead of actually informing them of avenues they can take to resolve the situation Joe just keeps trying to paint the picture that the HSE were taking cards off the almost dead. He just lets them wallow in their pain and suffering. Crying on air, panicking over what they'll do next. And, not once, is there a suggestion even offered towards potential resolutions. It's all the big system screwing over the little guys and there's nothing that can be done. It's disgusting!

It's disgusting, Joe!

Well anybody listen to the aul' skanger?

They're a bunch of narcissists Joe!

And often times when the problem is serious and genuine he is completely disinterested and is mad to get shut of the caller, whereas the next caller will be on complaining that the 51 Galway to Cork at 12:25 was a minute late leaving Limerick and he'll devote the rest of the episode to the horror of it (and not in that funny way the rum ad did it either).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well anybody listen to the aul' skanger?

I took a goo at the "podcast" and theres no mention of the baby killin at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement