Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Jernal wrote: »
    He's worse by a long margin. People call into his show with real genuine problems. Even when the solution is obvious Joe just listens to them whine and groan. It actually feels like he goes out of his way to amplify their feelings of injustice or sadness. Person calls in having lost their son's medical card that morning. Instead of actually informing them of avenues they can take to resolve the situation Joe just keeps trying to paint the picture that the HSE were taking cards off the almost dead. He just lets them wallow in their pain and suffering. Crying on air, panicking over what they'll do next. And, not once, is there a suggestion even offered towards potential resolutions. It's all the big system screwing over the little guys and there's nothing that can be done. It's disgusting!

The thing that most annoys me about him is that he never seems to pay proper attention to his callers. You'll have someone explain several ways they tried to solve their problem only for him to ask, at the end, did they try the first way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Obliq wrote: »
    Everything you said, and more....but honestly - there is no voice more grating on my nerves than George Hook's. Those drawn out plummy vowels that become almost unintelligible as soon as he starts speaking with someone further up the pecking order than most. For someone so fecking self-righteously opinionated as our George, he does a great line in sycophantic grovelling.

He speaks as if he is downloading his speech over bad dial-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Jeez, poor old Joe, you'ze are all ganging up on him :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2013/12/13/west-virginia-anti-choice-doctor-could-face-disciplinary-actions/
    Those appear to be the choices facing prominent anti-choice activist Dr. Byron Calhoun, who is vice chair of the West Virginia University Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, as a result of some headline-grabbing claims he made in a letter to West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrissey last May.

“We commonly (I personally probably at least weekly) see patients at Women’s and Children’s Hospital with complications from abortions at these centers in Charleston: so much for ‘safe and legal,’” wrote Calhoun. “These patients are told to come to our hospital because the abortion clinic providers do not have hospital privileges to care for their patients, so we must treat them as emergency ‘drop-ins.’”

It’s an alarming allegation—painting a scene of countless women seeking help after injuries from abortions—and one that fits perfectly into the newly revamped anti-choice rhetoric that focuses on “protecting” women, instead of fetuses.

Calhoun, though, has never provided a shred of evidence to support those frightening claims.

Nor, it turns out, has he ever reported a single incident of an abortion-related injury to the West Virginia Board of Medicine, the body responsible for regulating and disciplining doctors in that state.

This guy was on of the speakers at the International Symposium on Maternal Health took place in Dublin last year,
    which resulted in what is called the Dublin declaration which states Abortion is never needed to save a woman's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"Spain's conservative government has approved an abortion law that rolls back current legislation permitting the procedure without restrictions until the 14th week.
    Justice minister Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón said on Friday that abortion will only be allowed in the case of rape or when there is a serious mental or physical health risk to the mother. Accredited fetal deformities that would endanger a child's life if born will also be accepted.
    He said 16- and 17-year-olds will once again have to obtain permission from their parents to have an abortion"
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/20/spain-government-restrictive-abortion-law-opposition

Sad, really.

• Advertisement

EILISH O'REGAN AND MICHAEL BRENNAN – 21 DECEMBER 2013

GUIDELINES for doctors who will be allowed carry out abortions in limited circumstances are "at an advanced" stage and will be signed off in early January. The guidance will be needed following this week's signing of a commencement order by Health Minister James Reilly for the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill, which will become effective on January 1.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/abortion-guidelines-will-be-ready-within-weeks-29857193.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Opening the tsunami floodgates at this time of year? Sure we'll all be drowneded in godless abortions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

January 2014: heathen sluts errywhere rejoiced!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

January 2014: heathen sluts errywhere rejoiced!

Those hussies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

aloyisious wrote: »
    EILISH O'REGAN AND MICHAEL BRENNAN – 21 DECEMBER 2013

GUIDELINES for doctors who will be allowed carry out abortions in limited circumstances are "at an advanced" stage and will be signed off in early January. The guidance will be needed following this week's signing of a commencement order by Health Minister James Reilly for the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill, which will become effective on January 1.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/abortion-guidelines-will-be-ready-within-weeks-29857193.html

Anyone have a copy of the commencement order?

How can the act be commenced when the review panels haven't been set up yet?

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Those hussies.

Tis shockin', Joe.

drkpower wrote: »
    Anyone have a copy of the commencement order?

How can the act be commenced when the review panels haven't been set up yet?

This is Ireland, the land where the unusual is rare but the miraculous is an everyday occurrence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Here's a story from Vice about abortions in Kenya: http://m.vice.com/en_uk/read/kenya-slum-abortions-religion-illegal

http://www.thejournal.ie/abortion-1983-1224351-Dec2013/
    The Attorney General’s advice NOT to introduce ‘pro-life’ constitutional amendment
    17 extracts from Peter Sutherland’s advice which predicted many of the issues Ireland has seen over the past 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Let's get it out of the way:

slippery slope

if you don't want a baby, shut your legs

life begins in the womb

life begins at conception

i heard of a woman who had an abortion because she didn't fit into a dress/wanted to go skiing/had a 2-for-1 coupon at the local clinic/ didn't fancy the father anymore

Hitler, Nazis and eugenics

aborting Downs Syndrome and cleft lip babies

mandatory abortions

making soap out of foetal cells

women love babies. i love babies. i am a woman. so all women MUST LOVE THE BABIES

blah blah blah BABY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Afroshack wrote: »

slippery slope

life begins in the womb

i heard of a woman who had an abortion because she didn't fit into a dress/wanted to go skiing/had a 2-for-1 coupon at the local clinic/ didn't fancy the father anymore

mandatory abortions

women love babies. i love babies. i am a woman. so all women MUST LOVE THE BABIES

blah blah blah BABY

What did that get out of the way of what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Afroshack wrote: »

slippery slope

life begins in the womb

mandatory abortions

blah blah blah BABY

....other than post natal abortion and nasty type of abortion that's a comprehensive list.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Absolam wrote: »
    What did that get out of the way of what exactly?

That's a small list of what you could ideally expect to hear from all four corners of pro-life media sources now that the legislation has actually been signed into effect. I was just getting it out of the way before anyone else on boards decided to.

Sorry, forgot the post-natal one. Thanks Nordin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Probably Communism as well, sure all the soviets were at that craic and that's why the Berlin Wall fell. Or some such bullsh*t.

And China's (PRC) one-child policy (recently amended to allow some families have a second child)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/abortion-legislation-comes-into-effect-today-1.1641432

The new abortion Act became law today.

*stands back from the floodgates Breda et al predicted*

Am waiting for the doomsayers to start spouting about the weather and the predicted end of days "God has spoken"

Day 3: No dead baby floods yet. Only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

We need to wait for the slope to get really slippery from the blood of the innocent first.

Now it's not really important but, will no one think of the medics????? I mean they have no guidelines on how to work out the guidelines on how to deal with legalized abortions. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

aloyisious wrote: »
    Now it's not really important but, will no one think of the medics????? I mean they have no guidelines on how to work out the guidelines on how to deal with legalized abortions. :-(

Ah shure they are too tired to read anyway...

http://bpasblog.blogspot.ie/2014/01/the-irish-abortion-bill-changes-nothing.html

BPAS are doing their best to highlight the farce that is the protection of life in maternity law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The Australian version of the Grauniad is carrying an interesting rebuttal of Sen. Cory Bernardi after he called us pro-choicers "pro-death", among other unsavoury accusations .

Someone should remind the Hon. Idiot which side is the one which has engaged in murdering people.

Inteesting opinion-piece by Prof Casey in today's Irish Indo'.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/patricia-casey-pregnancy-should-not-change-the-way-we-assess-risk-of-suicide-29900905.html

In it she makes comments about a fellow psychiatrist, claiming that his view is demeaning to fellow psychiatrists on the grounds that they might have a possible bias. Prof Casey then goes on to claim the opinion of the other Psy (Dr Tony McCarthy - former Pres of the Irish College of Psy/atry) means there would be a two-track approach to women seeking abortions and (to her) that is unthinkable.

It seem's to me that, in her opinion-piece Prof Casey sees no difference between women seeking an abortion on the grounds of suicidality and women seeking an abortion on other grounds. It also seem's to me that Prof Casey is blind to the chance that some psychiatrists would, due to their position opposing abortions, make a decisiion about a patients request for an abortion on the grounds of suicidality and refuse it. Prof Casey states she wants a situation where a woman cannot go to one of the suicidality-evaluation groups but should be referred first to her local area Psy. Prof Casey seem's to want that to apply even if that Psy has a stated stance opposing abortion on every level.

Reading the opinion-piece, it seem's to me that a woman feeling suicidal due to being pregnant could well have an opinion that the Prof herself has a bias against abortion and might, just might, make a Psy-decision on her request for an abortion on personally-held beliefs and refuse the request. Prof Casey seem's to be "blind" to the other side of the coin there.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Also incidentally on the issue of pregnancy and life-saving, there's this court decision in Texas which has refused to allow the switch-off of life-treserving machines from a clinically-dead woman because she is pregnant. http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/husband-protests-as-hospital-refuses-to-switch-off-pregnant-womans-life-support-29900928.html

The piece seem's centred on the woman and her husband, and the right of NOK to have the hospital switch off the machines. I was a bit surprised to find no mention in the article as to whether he might like to have his wife's latest pregnancy go to full term and end in a successful birth, or whether his wife had also said that she would want the machines switched-off knowing her pregnancy would also be terminated as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

After reading Prof Casey's bullsh*t, now I'm starting to understand why Donal Walsh was given a platform for his very ill-informed essay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement