Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Second 'house of horrors' abortion clinic where doctor 'twisted heads off fetus' necks with his bare hands' is investigated in Texas
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325786/Douglas-Karpen-Second-house-horrors-abortion-clinic-investigated-Texas.html

Think about that, "twisted heads off fetus".

Sick b4stard.

I see he is also accused of killing babies outside of the womb. How sick is that. Now had he killed them inside the womb that would be fine but outside. Sick, sick, sick.

How is this relevant to the call for safe, legal access to abortion in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How is this relevant to the call for safe, legal access to abortion in Ireland?

Spread enough shit around and some of it will stick. This guy is to obstetrics what Harold Shipman was to geriatric care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

...And what Beverly Allitt was to paediatric care.

But then, that "Life Dynamics" produced video is a year old and after investigation a grand jury decided that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute Douglas Karpen back in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh don't worry, I'm sure Rick Perry and the Tea Party will find a gang of inbred fundamentalists to lynch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

{...}
    You must be taking the p1ss deliberately for a laugh. The opinion of any medical professional is certainly worth at least as much as yours and in reality a damn sight more. {...}

Wrong! This is an argument from authority fallacy. If this were true, then Douglas Karpen was right to commit all those atrocities. After all, he was a doctor.
    The fact that those signing that website have an agenda kind of diminishes the veracity of any claims they make. That and the fact that there appears to be no verification on the site to sign up to the petition (I signed up as bones from Star Trek, the signatures list hasn't been updated yet, but I got a nice email telling me that it would be at some point in the future).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

...And what Beverly Allitt was to paediatric care.

But then, that "Life Dynamics" produced video is a year old and after investigation a grand jury decided that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute Douglas Karpen back in December.

I always worry when I read something such as the final paragraph...
    In this case, however, an independent grand jury concluded, after lengthy investigation and deliberation, that the evidence does not justify an indictment.

This is not a ringing endorsement such as saying "There is no case to answer". It sort of damns with faint praise if you see what I mean.

I do, of course. But it also means that the claims he was wringing the headborns of newborns remain just that, claims.

I do, of course. But it also means that the claims he was wringing the headborns of newborns remain just that, claims.

Absolutely. But then there is a lot of politics in grand juries and the US justice system. District Attorneys are very polically savvy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bellatori wrote: »
    This is not a ringing endorsement such as saying "There is no case to answer". It sort of damns with faint praise if you see what I mean.

Um, you seem to be forgetting the purpose of a grand jury in US jurisprudence. They are empannelled to answer one question and one question alone, viz. whether there is enough evidence submitted by the prosecution to make it worthwhile for the case to go to a full trial. Their one duty is to decide whether probable cause (a legal term denoting sufficient suspicion that the accused did the deed without being strong enough to be necessarily sufficient for conviction) is applicable to the accused. They make no decision as to whether the accused is guilty or innocent nor are they allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

'Viz'.

Schrödinger used that a lot!

Apparently it was far more common back then. Boardsies need to start using viz again.
    https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=viz%2Cnamely&year_start=1800&year_end=2014&corpus=0&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cviz%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cnamely%3B%2Cc0

• Advertisement

Um, you seem to be forgetting the purpose of a grand jury in US jurisprudence. They are empannelled to answer one question and one question alone, viz. whether there is enough evidence submitted by the prosecution to make it worthwhile for the case to go to a full trial. Their one duty is to decide whether probable cause (a legal term denoting sufficient suspicion that the accused did the deed without being strong enough to be necessarily sufficient for conviction) is applicable to the accused. They make no decision as to whether the accused is guilty or innocent nor are they allowed to.

The words were spoken by the district attorney and are his interpretation/commentary which is the point I was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Turtwig wrote: »
    'Viz'.

Apparently it was far more common back then. Boardsies need to start using viz again.
    https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=viz%2Cnamely&year_start=1800&year_end=2014&corpus=0&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cviz%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cnamely%3B%2Cc0

I absolutely love using those little Latinisms, despite not actually knowing the language myself.

I absolutely love using those little Latinisms, despite not actually knowing the language myself.

Yeah I loved reading it in Schrodinger's writings. His English was so so good too in some publications. But I loved how he used viz. It would appear several times in some pages.

Anytime I was referencing the guy in any manner I'd try to use viz. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

'Viz'.

Can of worms opened there, we'll be getting definitions of a foetus and therapeutic abortion from Roger's Profanisaurus.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Richard Bingham

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Intact dilation and extraction, referred to as partial-birth abortion by pro-life advocates was an extremely rare procedure when it was used in the USA. In 2000, a survey conducted by the Guttmacher Institute found that the procedure was only used in 0.17% of all abortions.

It's a barbaric act and, even using your figures it has been used 96,654 times in the U.S. since Roe V Wade.
    I understand that you feel strongly about this issue and so I understand the emotive language. However, the only way we are going to make real progress in discussing the issues in this debate is with a lucid thought process and an even temper. So, as understandable as the comment above might be, it is deeply unhelpful.

Yes I do. Without apology.

I'll give my view as I see it and you aren't the arbiter of what is or isn't helpful.

It's easy to be matter of fact about it when you agree with what is going on. I, on the other hand, think that some emotion is appropriate.
    I've already answered this in the last post but to reiterate, the doctors who signed the declaration don't speak for all doctors either. The term direct abortion used in the Dublin Declaration is not found anywhere in peer-reviewed medical literature. The terms that are used in the medical literature to distinguish between medical and non-medical reasons are therapeutic abortion (i.e. to save the life/health of the patient) or elective abortions (i.e. where it is the choice of the patient).

The Dublin Declaration attempts to muddy these waters by conveniently dropping their own qualifier "direct" when it suits them. Therefore, you end up with claims from groups like Youth Defence. By dropping the qualifier and then stating:

"Abortion is never medically necessary."

groups like Youth Defence are misleading people.

I think that you are missing the point. I don't believe that the people who drafted the Dublin Declaration were trying to distinguish between medical and non medical abortion. I believe that they were distinguishing between procedures where the primary intent is to end the life of the baby and procedures where the intent was something else (to cure some ill) but which result in the death of the baby. Do you not think given the context and wording that this is the case?

Secondly, they never claimed to represent all medical professionals.
    There's no evidence that any of the polls I have quoted used leading questions. Do you have any evidence to the contrary.
    82% favoured legalization for cases when the woman's life is in danger

82% of voters supported "A constitutional amendment to extend the right to abortion to all cases where the health of the mother is seriously threatened

87% would support legislation to provide abortion where the woman's life was in danger for reasons other than threat of suicide

70% felt that abortion should be allowed when the woman's health is at risk

All of the above statements infer that there is a need to introduce abortion to save women's lives. Now if you want to bring up ectopic pregnancy or cancer to justify the introduction of abortion go ahead but it's irrelevant as there is no law in Ireland which prevents the treatment of pregnant women. If any medical condition arises during pregnancy, such as cancer or ectopic pregnancy, doctors in Ireland will always treat the mother even if that gives rise to the unintentional death of their baby. That’s because the intent of the treatment is to save the mother, not to kill the baby.

You seem to put great stead in these polls, as if they were infallible when nothing could be further from the truth - most of them are worthless. Consider this; if the roof of the local church is in bad condition and we poll the congregation and ask them "do you favour the hiring of the trademan John Murphy at a cost of €5,000 so that the roof of the church will be fixed?" and 85% of respondents say yes, we should hire John Murphy, and if it turns out that John Murphy is an electrician, then the poll was misleading and had no merit and the result has no merit.

Even the following

80% would support legislation to provide abortion where there was a foetal abnormality meaning the baby could not survive outside of the womb

supposes that the medical profession can tell the extent of a foetal abnormality accurately which they cannot - they have failed on numerous occasions.

For example, in 1966 Nicolai Ceaucescu introduced a law banning abortion in Romania. This resulted in an increase in maternal mortality from 16.9 per 100,000 live births in 1965 to 151.3 per 100,000 live births in 1982. In 1989, once Ceaucescu was deposed, abortion was once again legalised. This resulted in a 50% drop in maternal deaths in the first year post-legalisation alone.

I 'm not pretending to be an authority but I expect that any country which is not sufficiently medically advanced could reduce maternal mortality by aborting more babies. They answer however is medical advancements not abortion. If a woman is ill and pregnant removing the pregnancy probably simplifies her treatment. Ireland is not Romania however and women are not dying for want of abortion here. Romania and specifically the women of Romania would be better served by better care rather than abortion.

Originally Posted by Richard Bingham viewpost.gif
    Are you proposing that there is no definition of when life begins and ends so? Do you want to use this to justify not only abortion but euthanasia and sure can't we kill middle aged people in their forties so?
    No, what I am saying is that there is no authoritative definition. And I said nothing about euthanasia. For me, I believe that if we are to impose restrictions on abortion, that the first point that should give us pause is when brain activity begins at roughly 12 weeks. As Sarky previously pointed out:

"Brain activity can be measured. So can the level of connectivity within the brain. We've established when a foetus brain undergoes a rush of increasing the connections between cells (synaptogenesis, I believe it's called), and when it's finally complicated enough to be called a life. Without those connections, all you have is a lump of wobbly grey matter that's as much a person as the liver or pancreas it shares a body with.

Now there's no hard and fast timeframe for this to occur, it happens slower for some embryos, faster for others, and when you give or take a few days on nailing down exactly when conception occurred, you have a week or two window where this growth spurt happens. And even during the growth spurt there's no one point from non-person to person. Life just doesn't work in the black and white spectrum people so often want it to.

But it's a much more thought-out point than "life begins at conception".

I didn't say that life begins at conception? What's the point of this anyway? We won't decide when it begins or even agree between ourselves. It doesn't make any difference to my argument whatsoever. You may use it to say these things aren't human in much the same way Hitler said the Jews weren't human but it might turn out that you are wrong. Look at all the things that have been turned on their heads in the last twenty years alone. Even basic things like diet. The world thought fat was the enemy until recently, now everyone seems to be screaming about sugar. How can you be so sure.
    We don't need to rely on personal testimony, we have the actual figures from the NHS. The period specified by Bellatori was 1980-2012, during which 156,076 Irish women travelled to the UK for abortions. You stated that: "Do you think that even 1,000 traveled because their lives were at risk?" to which I replied that approximately 3000 women or approximately 94 women per year travelled because their lives were at risk. So a bit more than two handfuls.

I can't see where you are arriving at the 94 women per year?

Availability is a factor but nowhere near as important as you seem to think. For example, Ireland has an abortion rate of 6.7 per 1000 live births. Croatia, on the other hand, where abortion is legal has a rate of 5.7 per 1000 live births. As I have said previously, restrictions on abortion have very little impact on abortion rate.

I agree that there are other factors but this is not an argument in favour of banning abortion. The numbers of Irish women seeking abortions abroad has already been falling over the last 10 years from 6320 in 2003 to 4402 in 2010. This has not been implemented through toughening abortion legislation.

Well, I did post a link to the paper so you could have read that maybe before making claims about it. I don't see how the study suffers from any bias, given that it is a study funded by the WHO. However, obviously if you have actual evidence of bias rather than baseless mud-slinging, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it.

My point is that where there are a number of factors at play, you can't deduce that one factor directly causes an increase or decrease in X Y or Z - it could be down to something totally different or a combination of things.

I wasn't trying to use that as a justification for anything. You were using statistics as a justification, not me. I use plain facts. Women weren't dying in Ireland for want of abortion. Savita Halappanavar didn't die for want of abortion. Her death was exploited by Enda Kenny and the Pro Abortion side to get abortion legalised but it was a lie, she died due to inadequate assessment and monitoring. Enda Kenny had a motive for doing this which had absolutely nothing to do with saving women's lives - it was one of the promises he made to Labour to convince them to form a government with his party - simple as that.

Absolam wrote: »
    I'd think I'm fairly moderate leaning towards pro-life and I'd call it abortion.

It's peculiar that you have an issue with having a different word for something which is different. I'm not saying that it's peculiar because you claim to be Pro-Life, I think it's peculiar because why would anyone object to a more descriptive term which helps someone to understand what is being spoken about.

If I say I got a blowout while driving home from work, that conveys to most normal people that it happened suddenly, and probably whilst I was driving. It gives them more information than if I said I got a puncture which could just mean the tyre deflated slowly and it was no big deal, and it requires less words to describe the situation. Would anyone object to my use of the word 'blowout' - why would they?

Likewise if a woman had to have a pregnancy ended because it was an ectopic pregnancy, a person could say that she had an ectopic pregancy and it had to be terminated or they could say she was pregnant but she had an abortion. Which statement conveys the truth of what happened more accurately? Why have you a problem with the more accurate term being used. I know why people who are pro-abortion have a problem with it, its because they want to have one term in order to normalise it, but why would you who claims to be Pro-Life have a problem with this?

If any medical condition arises during pregnancy, such as cancer or ectopic pregnancy, doctors in Ireland will always treat the mother even if that gives rise to the unintentional death of their baby. That’s because the intent of the treatment is to save the mother, not to kill the baby.

Counterpoint: Sheila Hodgers. Michelle Harte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

{...}

I didn't say that life begins at conception? What's the point of this anyway? We won't decide when it begins or even agree between ourselves. It doesn't make any difference to my argument whatsoever. You may use it to say these things aren't human in much the same way Hitler said the Jews weren't human but it might turn out that you are wrong. {...}

{...}

Godwin and a strawman all in one!

It's not "killing teh babies" if they aren't babies yet. Can you seriously not see that this is the whole crux of the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's peculiar that you have an issue with having a different word for something which is different. I'm not saying that it's peculiar because you claim to be Pro-Life, I think it's peculiar because why would anyone object to a more descriptive term which helps someone to understand what is being spoken about.

If I say I got a blowout while driving home from work, that conveys to most normal people that it happened suddenly, and probably whilst I was driving. It gives them more information than if I said I got a puncture which could just mean the tyre deflated slowly and it was no big deal, and it requires less words to describe the situation. Would anyone object to my use of the word 'blowout' - why would they?

People would only begin to object when you started insisting that a blow out doesn't involve getting a hole in your tire.

Counterpoint: Sheila Hodgers. Michelle Harte.

Pro-Life people (apart from extremists) don't advocate witholding treatment from pregnant women, even if it will result in the death of the baby. Even the Catholic Church doesn't advocate this.

Sheila Hodgers died in 1980 before a lot of the medical advancements we have today. She was under the care of Michael Neary and I read that she was denied all investigations, pain relief and treatment for cancer. This wouldn't happen today and the fact that you have to go back 34 years to find a case where it did happen is a testament to this.

In the case of Michelle Harte, the hospital's ethics forum decided against a termination because they decided that her life was not under 'immediate threat' i.e. they could have granted one if the circumstances dictated that it was the right medical treatment, but they didn't.

The fact that she went and got one herself proves nothing.

I don't know where people get this idea that you get to choose the treatment you are given when you are seriously ill in hospital. There are instances where you do because there is more than one option but quite often a Consultant may decide that there is only one option which is viable from a medical perspective and if he decides this he will treat the patient accordingly; he won't provide a treatment which is inappropriate or needless, even if the patient or their family ask for it.

• Advertisement

If any medical condition arises during pregnancy, such as cancer or ectopic pregnancy, doctors in Ireland will always treat the mother even if that gives rise to the unintentional death of their baby.

Ms Harte, who is from London, said her condition deteriorated when she was waiting for an abortion and was not able to receive cancer treatment at that time due to her pregnancy.

The cases shown prove that doctors will not always treat the mother.

Blathering about them being refused abortions and getting to choose their treatment is misdirection. These women were refused their cancer treatments because of their pregnancies.

Those are also two women that fought the decision and went public with their cases. Doubtless there are other women who acquiesced or didn't go public.

I don't have faith that "this wouldn't happen today", not while we still have Catholic ethos hospitals and conscientious objectors. Time will tell that, not some dishonest posts on a forum.

From the end of the article that you posted comes
    The European Court of Human Rights last week ruled that Ireland had breached the human rights of another woman with cancer who had to leave Ireland to get an abortion.

This is not some nut job right winger blathering on in the Daily Express. This is the European Court of Human Rights in May this year.

The other bit that RB ignored is that the the medical ethics committee themselves ignored what the medicos were saying.

So let's think this through. Doctors on the case say yes... laymen and unconnected medicos say no... the noes have it?! Is this reasonable?

Fortunately the ECoHR does not think so and maybe, just maybe, this will force a change of direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

This documentary is very interesting from the US, When Abortion Was illegal: Untold Stories (1992)

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/when_abortion_was_illegal_untold_stories/

Ms Harte said.... were's the authority in that?
    The cases shown prove that doctors will not always treat the mother.

No, one of them proves nothing that hasn't been proven by the inquiry into Dr Neary. The second one proved that a woman sought an abortion but was deemed not to need one.
    Blathering about them being refused abortions and getting to choose their treatment is misdirection. These women were refused their cancer treatments because of their pregnancies.

Blathering eh. A very robust rebuttle. Am I supposed to challenge you to a duel for offending my honour?
    I don't have faith that "this wouldn't happen today", not while we still have Catholic ethos hospitals and conscientious objectors. Time will tell that, not some dishonest posts on a forum.

I an understand someone who has no religion being against religion but you have a problem with conscientious objectors. If you can't be a conscientious objector then no one can ever be prosecuted for anything as long as they say that they were following orders.

The Nuremberg Principle IV states: "The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him."

At the risk of breaking Godwin's Law..... do you think Nazi's who said they were following orders should be acquitted?

It's ok, you don't have to answer. Pro-Abortion people never address anything that is put to them.

keane2097 wrote: »
    People would only begin to object when you started insisting that a blow out doesn't involve getting a hole in your tire.

I'm sure that made sense to you when you were typing it.

This is so ridiculous it's beneath contempt.
    No, one of them proves nothing that hasn't been proven by the inquiry into Dr Neary. The second one proved that a woman sought an abortion but was deemed not to need one.

Misdirection again. Who are you trying to convince here, yourself?
    I an understand someone who has no religion being against religion but you have a problem with conscientious objectors.

Evidence or retract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I don't have an issue with the term; I have an issue with you trying to politicise it. Abortion of a foetus/pregnancy is abortion; there are a multitude of methods and timescales, but they are all abortions. Trying to restrict the use of the world to a particular set of circumstances to generate an emotional response and permit the argument 'ah but that's not abortion it's xxx' doesn't help the discussion.
    Nor have I claimed to be 'Pro-Life', I said fairly moderate leaning towards pro-life. The absence of capitals indicates that I'm in favour of life, rather than an adherent of a misguided pressure group (no more so than Pro-Choice in fairness, but nonetheless).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Dirty lying woman that she was

I'll give my view as I see it and you aren't the arbiter of what is or isn't helpful.

Oh but I am. Your blase style of posting isn't all too endearing. Others, are trying to have a meaningful discussion with you. I suggest you try to do the same.

• Advertisement

Oh but I am. Your blase style of posting isn't all too endearing. Others, are trying to have a meaningful discussion with you. I suggest you try to do the same.

Blase;

1. Uninterested because of frequent exposure or indulgence
    2. Unconcerned; nonchalant
    3. not excited about something; unmoved

My style is anything but blase. Only a few posts ago I was accused of being emotive.

What ever happened to 'attack the post, not the poster'?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement