Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

so this is the view,you support that it should be up to the mother and doc,if the new born baby should survive.

i bet my life you wouldnt dare say that face to face with some one.
    I haven't said that. This discussion would go better if you could attempt to absorb what people said/posted.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

so this is the view,you support that it should be up to the mother and doc,if the new born baby should survive.

...its not a "new born".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Who do you listen to for medical advice if not a doctor? The great flame? Jebus? Seamus from down the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Who do you listen to for medical advice if not a doctor? The great flame? Jebus? Seamus from down the road?

I admit I lol'd at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

so you i take it,you people support the views of planned parenthood in this video.

thats ok.

What exactly are their views, in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

One thing your posts have excelled at so far is putting words in other people's posts that weren't actually there. If you wish to believe that people on this forum support infanticide you can. However please be aware that every time you express that opinion on this thread without actual evidence your posts will be ridiculed. And, while I don't like ad homimem tu quoque or poisoning the well arguments, you should be aware that each time you make this ridiculous assertion that posters here are supporters of infanticide you are damaging the credibility of every other post you make - no matter how valid the argument you make in those will be.

My advice, drop the word twisting or nobody here will be taking your posts seriously and then whatever hope you had of saving babies by convincing others to your position will well and truly be expired. Unless, of course, you're only here to toss labels at people in which case that's hardly constructive or helpful to the pro-life cause. It's also not very conducive to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Senator Jim Walsh gets his spake in (again)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/brutal-description-of-abortion-necessary-in-sanitised-debate-of-half-truths-1.1475169

The usual guff although to be fair he doesn't actually use the word 'floodgate' here.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

ninja900 wrote: »
    Senator Jim Walsh gets his spake in (again)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/brutal-description-of-abortion-necessary-in-sanitised-debate-of-half-truths-1.1475169

The usual guff although to be fair he doesn't actually use the word 'floodgate' here.

I'll send him medical descriptions of c sections and episiotomies and see how comfortable he is with reading them into the record of the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

That's soon-to-be-ex-Senator Jim Walsh.
    Weren't we lucky that the zealots outed themselves and that Enda had the bottle to dump them?
    Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I think what eireannBEAR is trying to say is that legislation needs to be put in place so Ireland doesnt make mistakes with screwing up abortions.

Unfortunately the only acceptable solution to the likes of eireannBEAR is to adopt the Saudi Arabian position on women's rights, i.e. to remove all rights from women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

One of the responses:
    Oh FFS, take 20mg of Zyprexa daily, and come back to me in six months

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I read her comment. I would'nt mind but she's probably a young person, young enough to have more sense. At least the other people commenting gave her hell , so that's something to be grateful for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

One of the responses:

I responded to her pointing out her god was an imaginary friend and thus powerless.

Ten minutes later my father called me out, he'd left a dormer window open, and the thunderstorm rain had poured through the open window, and went through our ceiling soaking our back hall.

Save me Jeebus!

Poe? Is that actually her?

She's been on RTE for either the Pro-Life Campaign or YD. I wouldn't agree with her if she said the sun was going to rise in the morning, but that comment is just... stupid.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Poe? Is that actually her?

She's been on RTE for either the Pro-Life Campaign or YD. I wouldn't agree with her if she said the sun was going to rise in the morning, but that comment is just... stupid.

You mixing her up with Cora Sherlock?

Yup. Maybe that was the intention :o

She could be her sister, as they both display similar levels of zealotry. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

She could be her sister, as they both display similar levels of zealotry. :rolleyes:

I think there's a number of them, but it's hard to find out how many. I once had a massive argument on a pro-choice facebook page with an Enda Sherlock, who spouted the same pile of knuckle-dragging rubbish as Cora. Then another Sherlock (male) chimed in. I won, however, by a mile :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Next week: the Caleb Foundation in the "Science" section.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It is done.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/president-higgins-signs-abortion-bill-into-law-1.1479519
    President Michael D Higgins has signed into law the Government’s Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill. Áras an Uachtaráin confirmed the move in a short statement this afternoon.

Mr Higgins received the Bill last Wednesday and was not required to make his decision known until midnight tomorrow. He convened a meeting of the Council of State at the Áras yesterday to seek its advice on the Bill, which he could have opted to send to the Supreme Court to test its constitutionality.

The meeting was attended by 21 members of the 24-strong council and lasted for some 3½ hours. It commenced at about 3.15pm following a brief photocall in the main drawing room of the President’s residence in the Phoenix Park and concluded at about 6.45pm. Only three of the council were absent: they were former president Mary Robinson, and former taoisigh Albert Reynolds and John Bruton.

The 21 persons who attended, including seven members of the judiciary, still made it the biggest council since the Constitution came into effect in 1937. The details of discussions at the council meetings are kept confidential.

President Higgins chaired the meeting, and those familiar with the process expected key contributions from Attorney General Máire Whelan and, possibly, from President of the High Court Nicholas Kearns. Mr Justice Kearns arrived to the Áras with a box containing documents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

robindch wrote: »

no matter,its an utterly unusable law. people will still travel to the uk.

You're right. More work needs to be done so that women don't have to travel abroad for procedures that should be available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Roll on the court challenges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

So why are people so against it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had been led to believe that the general expectation was that he'd refer it to the supreme court, to remove any concerns about constitutionality.
    but it's been suggested to me that this is generally only done when there is a specific concern about the bill; to refer it to the supreme court in a 'we can't see anything which gives us cause for concern, but we want you to rule on it anyway to cover our asses' is seen as against the spirit of the process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

i was mainly against it,due to the promised last minute amendments by pro-choice politicians,but this never happened, i still dont agree with it,but im happy its unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Well, I think it's because many of the pro-lifers see it as a stepping stone towards abortion on demand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement