Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Like I said, it is actually not the first time I made that point, and if you prefer me to qualify it this time with adjectives I've previously used such as developed and civilized, I'm perfectly happy to. After all, you defended recedite's claim that "all's well that ends well" as being an abbreviation for a less absolute claim, that things could be worse, and yet here you think the fact that Iran and Iraq and other such hellholes do the same as Ireland disproves my overall point, when in my view it goes without saying that I am not going to suggest the Irish health or legal system should reasonably be compared with places like that.

But yeah, Ireland has a similar approach to pregnant women's rights as such countries as East Timor, Vatican City, Congo, Yemen and other quasi theocracies or failing states. I think that's a bad thing, you clearly don't. We'll have to agree to differ.

What about DrPower's confirmation that an abortion was a necessary part of treating her infection - surely a more significant point than wanting to claim we are doing fine because we're the same as Afghanistan - any comment on that aspect of my posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

volchitsa wrote: »
    Dr Boylan says it was too late by then, as I said.
    That does not make sense.
    Do you think that when a risk to life is identified, it is already too late to act?

Secondly : if one considers a pregnancy from the woman's point of view, (bear with me, I know that isn't the norm here!) no person would ever be allowed to use another person's body against their will just because their own survival depended on it. But that is the situation for a woman whose health is being damaged by a fetus, and for whom an abortion would stop that harm.

So from that point of view, the fetus has far more rights than an existing person.

Hope that is clearer.
    Your logic is flawed. You are trying to make a statement about the rights of the foetus, while only acknowledging the perspective and the rights of the mother. Your example shows that the personal rights of the mother are compromised, as compared to the same woman in a non-pregnant condition. It does not show that the foetus has more rights than anyone else.

There are comparable situations not unique to women. If a ships captain sees someone on a liferaft out at sea, he cannot carry on with his original course; he is obliged to investigate further, and try to organise a rescue if need be. This obligation could be an inconvenience to him, therefore his right to proceed on his own schedule has been compromised. Of course this inconvenience is much less than carrying a baby to term, but a similar ethical principle applies to both situations. He has no choice.

recedite wrote: »
    Do you think that when a risk to life is identified, it is already too late to act?
    No, I know that when a risk to life is identified, it may already be too late to prevent the death. That's the nature of a risk to life. It means a risk of death - and not necessarily one that can always be controlled. Otherwise it wouldn't really be risk of death, only a risk of death - but we know that the Supreme Court specifically said that potential risk wasn't enough, it had to be a substantive one.

Your logic is flawed. You are trying to make a statement about the rights of the foetus, while only acknowledging the perspective and the rights of the mother. Your example shows that the personal rights of the mother are compromised, as compared to the same woman in a non-pregnant condition. It does not show that the foetus has more rights than anyone else.

There are comparable situations not unique to women. If a ships captain sees someone on a liferaft out at sea, he cannot carry on with his original course; he is obliged to investigate further, and try to organise a rescue if need be. This obligation could be an inconvenience to him, therefore his right to proceed on his own schedule has been compromised. Of course this inconvenience is much less than carrying a baby to term, but a similar ethical principle applies to both situations.
    i don't think mine is flawed, but I do think yours is positively hilarious. Instead of going for a "lifeboat at sea" analogy for the pregnant woman, what is wrong with comparing pregnancy to a life support machine or to organ donation - those are far closer comparisons to pregnancy: and we see that in Ireland the woman is treated as a life support machine, whereas in civilized countries her status is closer to that of the organ donor.

As to the rights of the embryo or fetus, I don't see that it has any right to any really, before it develops sentience. Does a human ovum have any rights? Does a sperm cell? Why should the unit they make immediately after conception have any more rights? Just because it has more chromosomes? That doesn't work either - human cell lines can develop and reproduce, and have a full quota of chromosomes, but they don't have any "right to life." Nor do fertilized eggs in IVF labs. So why only those inside a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,262 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There are comparable situations not unique to women. If a ships captain sees someone on a liferaft out at sea, he cannot carry on with his original course; he is obliged to investigate further, and try to organise a rescue if need be. This obligation could be an inconvenience to him, therefore his right to proceed on his own schedule has been compromised. Of course this inconvenience is much less than carrying a baby to term, but a similar ethical principle applies to both situations. He has no choice.
    But he is a ships captain not a normal civilian. If I happened to be sailing near by , it might be a nice thing to do to put myself out but if I had better reasons to keep going they would take precedence. Moreso if I perceived any additional risk to myself

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Laws cannot specify individual medical situations. A headache caused by a hangover is not considered life threatening, but a headache caused by a brain tumour is.
    Its up to the clinicians to identify a risk of life to a pregnant woman, and once its identified, the law allows an abortion.

The donor and the liferaft analogies are similar, but slightly different in that there is never one single donor on whom the life of the patient depends. There might be only one that they are aware of, but if they searched further afield there would be others.
    If it was 100% certain that you were the only donor in the world who could save a particular person, and could do it without risking your own life, then "ethically speaking" you would be obliged to act. There is no law in existence obliging it, because that is only a hypothetical situation.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    But he is a ships captain not a normal civilian. If I happened to be sailing near by , it might be a nice thing to do to put myself out but if I had better reasons to keep going they would take precedence. Moreso if I perceived any additional risk to myself
    I'm not sure about that, but I hope you are wrong. I presume if you are sailing in your own dinghy, then you are considered the "master" of that vessel. If attempting a rescue presented a risk to your own life, you would presumably still be obliged to report the matter to RNLI or whatever.

Laws cannot specify individual medical situations. A headache caused by a hangover is not considered life threatening, but a headache caused by a brain tumour is.
    Its up to the clinicians to identify a risk of life to a pregnant woman, and once its identified, the law allows an abortion.

The donor and the liferaft analogies are similar, but slightly different in that there is never one single donor on whom the life of the patient depends. There might be only one that they are aware of, but if they searched further afield there would be others.
    If it was 100% certain that you were the only donor in the world who could save a particular person, and could do it without risking your own life, then "ethically speaking" you would be obliged to act. There is no law in existence obliging it, because that is only a hypothetical situation.

Ethically speaking it would be a nice thing to do , but you cant phrase it in a stronger way as I can't see that it is ethical to compel your nnothbour to pursue such a course of action.
    You could ask and the individual as a self owning individual could decline as he and his body are not property of the community.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm not sure about that, but I hope you are wrong. I presume if you are sailing in your own dinghy, then you are considered the "master" of that vessel. If attempting a rescue presented a risk to your own life, you would presumably still be obliged to report the matter to RNLI or whatever.

Does it matter ? If someone was in trouble in the water ( no boats) where there are no other people near by you are generally advised not to put your life at risk by going in after them. Its admirable if someone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Like I said, it is actually not the first time I made that point, and if you prefer me to qualify it this time with adjectives I've previously used such as developed and civilized, I'm perfectly happy to.
    Actually I'd prefer you were simply honest. Because that statements not true either, is it? You didn't say "it is actually not the first time I made that point", you said, "my original point was "civilized countries"".
    The first time you said "civilised countries" (or "civilised country") was post #8034
    The statement "only the Irish health care system forbids doctors from ending a pregnancy because the woman's health is at risk, even when she requests that" was post #7996.
    After all, you defended recedite's claim that "all's well that ends well" as being an abbreviation for a less absolute claim, that things could be worse, and yet here you think the fact that Iran and Iraq and other such hellholes do the same as Ireland disproves my overall point, when in my view it goes without saying that I am not going to suggest the Irish health or legal system should reasonably be compared with places like that.
    I wasn't the one looking to compare Ireland to anywhere; you're the one trying to make out that Ireland is alone in not permitting abortion to save the health of the mother, so you can hardly expect not to have such a nonsensical position refuted.
    But yeah, Ireland has a similar approach to pregnant women's rights as such countries as East Timor, Vatican City, Congo, Yemen and other quasi theocracies or failing states. I think that's a bad thing, you clearly don't. We'll have to agree to differ.
    As I said, I wasn't the one looking for comparisons. Thanks for telling me (again) what I think. I'm sure I wouldn't know what to do without you.
    What about DrPower's confirmation that an abortion was a necessary part of treating her infection - surely a more significant point than wanting to claim we are doing fine because we're the same as Afghanistan - any comment on that aspect of my posts?
    I have to admit, I didn't think Drpower was in a position to confirm that an abortion was a necessary part of treating the infection. However, Drpower does seem to be claiming that the source of the infection was the foetus, so I would be interested in any evidence to support that assertion.

Not that its actually really relevant to the discussion, but the United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea requires the the master of any ship flying a UN signatory flag to render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost and to proceed to the rescue of persons in distress.
    Apropos of nothing much....

• Advertisement

I can just picture Absalom being a reporter covering hospital trolley waiting lists , a patient's opinion is sought and the patient responds by saying the situation is uncivilised whereupon our plucky reporter spends hours trying to convince the patient that she is wrong by referencing waiting lists in such countries as Iran....

Absolam wrote: »
    Not that its actually really relevant to the discussion, but the United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea requires the the master of any ship flying a UN signatory flag to render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost and to proceed to the rescue of persons in distress.

I'd imagine there are plenty of possible situation where you might agree in advance to certain obligations. But there is no general ethic that one must risk their life to save another , one must sign up to it specifically.

It really is apropos of nothing much indeed. It is ridiculous, and getting more so.

First we had "Ah sure we're grand, don't great places like Iran and Afghanistan have the same view of women's rights as us", and now we have pregnant women being compared to ships sailing under a UN nations flag, no less! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

But yeah, Ireland has a similar approach to pregnant women's rights as such countries as East Timor,Vatican City , Congo, Yemen and other quasi theocracies or failing states.

Nothing to do with the argument I know, but I find the idea of Vatican City having laws on abortion highly amusing! If any women other than virgin nuns live there, they would hardly be affected by the states abortion law when they only have to walk 5 steps and they are in Italy. What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

I have to admit, I didn't think Drpower was in a position to confirm that an abortion was a necessary part of treating the infection. However, Drpower does seem to be claiming that the source of the infection was the foetus, so I would be interested in any evidence to support that assertion.

Absolam, you told us earlier that you weren't a clinician and so couldn't comment on what you might have done in a particular clinical circumstance, yet you seem to be happy to wax lyrical about what is the 'proper' treatment, or indeed what is not the proper treatment in other cases. Since most of your medical contribution has been so far off the mark, maybe you might desist from telling us any more of you nuggets of medical wisdom.
    And where did drkpower imply the source of the infection was the foetus?
    Maybe leave the medical stuff to the actual medics?

(Hint: the primary diagnosis was chorioamnionitis)

I can just picture Absalom being a reporter covering hospital trolley waiting lists , a patient's opinion is sought and the patient responds by saying the situation is uncivilised whereupon our plucky reporter spends hours trying to convince the patient that she is wrong by referencing waiting lists in such countries as Iran....
    Well that told me! No more taking an interest in the facts from now on, eh?
    I'd imagine there are plenty of possible situation where you might agree in advance to certain obligations. But there is no general ethic that one must risk their life to save another , one must sign up to it specifically.
    Oh I'd imagine there are too. It probably stems from a general sense of ethics; though I imagine one 'signs up' to an obligatory aspect when one chooses to operate in a sphere governed by laws that require it. Like hospitals. Or captaining ships I suppose.

Well that told me! No more taking an interest in the facts from now on, eh?

Oh I'd imagine there are too. It probably stems from a general sense of ethics; though I imagine one 'signs up' to an obligatory aspect when one chooses to operate in a sphere governed by laws that require it. Like hospitals. Or captaining ships I suppose.
    Irish laws are out of date because they are based on Catholic ethics. The next time people are asked their opinion on these laws they will change them because they will ignore catholic ethics. We will then be left with medical ethics to deal with these difficult situstions and patients wishes

First we had "Ah sure we're grand, don't great places like Iran and Afghanistan have the same view of women's rights as us", and now we have pregnant women being compared to ships sailing under a UN nations flag, no less! :rolleyes:
    I don't think anyone said "Ah sure we're grand, don't great places like Iran and Afghanistan have the same view of women's rights as us".... I think you're fibbing again!

Absolam, you told us earlier that you weren't a clinician and so couldn't comment on what you might have done in a particular clinical circumstance, yet you seem to be happy to wax lyrical about what is the 'proper' treatment, or indeed what is not the proper treatment in other cases.
    I don't think I waxed lyrical on what the 'proper' treatment was; as I recall I disputed that sepsis could be treated by abortion. Feel free to quote me though, and we can discuss it.
    Since most of your medical contribution has been so far off the mark, maybe you might desist from telling us any more of you nuggets of medical wisdom.
    Oh gosh. Tell you waht, of you can demonstrate the first part, I'll consider the second part. How's that?
    And where did drkpower imply the source of the infection was the foetus?[/QUOTE]
    Well let's see.
    "Usual treatment for an infection is <...> 2. Remove the source.
    She didn't get 2 because of Irish law."
    Is there an Irish law that prohibits removing anything other than a foetus from the body of a pregnant woman when it is neccasary to preserve her health? Kudos for not picking up Drpower on a direct statement of what the usual treatment for an infection is; either Drpowers medical credentials and renowned and beyond reproach, or you're being more than a tad biased as to whom you thing ought to be permitted to speak about treatment...
    Maybe leave the medical stuff to the actual medics?
    Would it make you feel more comfortable if I changed my username to Drabsolam?
    (Hint: the primary diagnosis was chorioamnionitis)
    Is that your professional medical opinion, or are you leaving the medical stuff to the medics? It's just you haven't cited a source.....

I don't think anyone said "Ah sure we're grand, don't great places like Iran and Afghanistan have the same view of women's rights as us".... I think you're fibbing again!

Well maybe you should tell us what you think the relevance of the number of countries with similar laws to Ireland is while ignoring just which countries they are?

IMO, which countries is far more significant than the total number. You seem to think differently but apparently you can't say why you think Ireland should be happy to find itself in the group of countries where civil rights are generally ignored and/or where health services generally are in a disastrous state.

The fact that this may make up a significant part of the world's population isn't relevant because we don't normally compare ourselves to them in terms of GDP etc, so why should we do so in terms of maternal health?

• Advertisement

Well let's see.
    Is there an Irish law that prohibits removing anything other than a foetus from the body of a pregnant woman when it is neccasary to preserve her health? Kudos for not picking up Drpower on a direct statement of what the usual treatment for an infection is; either Drpowers medical credentials and renowned and beyond reproach, or you're being more than a tad biased as to whom you thing ought to be permitted to speak about treatment...

Is that your professional medical opinion, or are you leaving the medical stuff to the medics? It's just you haven't cited a source.....
    So are you saying that the poster who said that is wrong then? I linked to a known obstetrician, who says the same thing. So even allowing for the possiblity of anonymous posters not being medical people, his point is backed up by other, named doctors.

Irish laws are out of date because they are based on Catholic ethics.
    In fairness most of the out of date Irish laws are based on English laws, and they were anything but Catholic, and some Irish laws are quite new, so it's hard to call them out of date, but I take your point; you've a bit of an axe to grind and you're going to do it.
    The next time people are asked their opinion on these laws they will change them because they will ignore catholic ethics. We will then be left with medical ethics to deal with these difficult situstions and patients wishes
    Well, predicting the future is all very well, but you'll forgive me if I'm skeptical; I haven't even seen you gaze into your crystal ball. In the meantime I suppose we'll just have to get on with our medical ethics to deal with these difficult situations and patients wishes.

I don't think I waxed lyrical on what the 'proper' treatment was; as I recall I disputed that sepsis could be treated by abortion. Feel free to quote me though, and we can discuss it.
    Oh gosh. Tell you waht, of you can demonstrate the first part, I'll consider the second part. How's that?
    Well let's see.

Why don't you go find out what chorioamnionitis is for a start.
    I don't need to quote a source to show that you are wrong.
    In fairness, I have got you on a bit of a technicality, but if you knew the first thing about what you're talking about, you'd know that.

I'll let Drkpower speak to his own medical credentials, (I don't 'pick him up on his medical opinion because 1. he is a doctor, and 2. he is right. It's nothing to do with bias)
    Drabsolam just doesn't carry the same weight, for obvious reasons!

So are you saying that the poster who said that is wrong then? I linked to a known obstetrician, who says the same thing. So even allowing for the possiblity of anonymous posters not being medical people, his point is backed up by other, named doctors.
    I'm saying I'd like to know what the basis for their diagnosis is. What is the likelihood that it is your linked obstetrician? Either way I'd want to know if the person who made the diagnosis;
    Examined the patient at the time?
    Reviewed the medical records?
    Consulted with the medical team?
    Had any contact with the case at all other than reading journalists reports?
    Because if they didn't, that sounds more like an opinion than a diagnosis to me (though unlike ProfessorPlum, I'm not offering a diagnosis, and unlike Drkpower, I'm not offering a treatment plan).

Well maybe you should tell us what you think the relevance of the number of countries with similar laws to Ireland is while ignoring just which countries they are?
    The relevance is you claimed there were none, when in fact there are considerably more than none.
    IMO, which countries is far more significant than the total number. You seem to think differently but apparently you can't say why you think Ireland should be happy to find itself in the group of countries where civil rights are generally ignored and/or where health services generally are in a disastrous state.
    But I didn't say that I think Ireland should be happy to find itself in the group of countries where civil rights are generally ignored and/or where health services generally are in a disastrous state? Seriously, how much stuff do you need to make up? Is there not one fact you can find to put forward for your case?
    The fact that this may make up a significant part of the world's population isn't relevant because we don't normally compare ourselves to them in terms of GDP etc, so why should we do so in terms of maternal health?
    We didn't; you did. You said they weren't there, but they are.

Why don't you go find out what chorioamnionitis is for a start.
    Right.......
    I don't need to quote a source to show that you are wrong.
    Of course you don't, though you would have to show what it is exactly you think I'm wrong about.
    Then we can turn to your diagnosis.
    In fairness, I have got you on a bit of a technicality, but if you knew the first thing about what you're talking about, you'd know that.
    I'm sure you think so, and we'll all be amazed when you do your cunning reveal to rapturous applause.
    I'll let Drkpower speak to his own medical credentials, (I don't 'pick him up on his medical opinion because 1. he is a doctor, and 2. he is right. It's nothing to do with bias)
    Drabsolam just doesn't carry the same weight, for obvious reasons!
    Well, since you've already spoken for Drkpowers medical credentials, we can be assured. After all, it's not like this is an internet forum or anything :)

I'm saying I'd like to know what the basis for their diagnosis is. What is the likelihood that it is your linked obstetrician? Either way I'd want to know if the person who made the diagnosis;
    Because if they didn't, that sounds more like an opinion than a diagnosis to me (though unlike ProfessorPlum, I'm not offering a diagnosis, and unlike Drkpower, I'm not offering a treatment plan).

Inquests are held in public and the evidence given and the verdicts are on public record.
    There is no dispute as to the diagnosis in the case under discussion. Are you disputing the diagnosis?

It's always interesting to go back and look at the medical information that we have available, unencumbered by the desperate rewriting of events that the Pro-life (what an ironic use of the term) movement have engaged in wrt Savita Halapannavar. Here is Dr Jen Gunter's analysis of all the possible explanations for the death of any woman from the complications of a miscarriage at 17 weeks.

It's a general explanation, she doesn't pretend to have read the notes etc - but Dr Boylan, who did read them, since he was called as expert witness, doesn't contradict anything here : he was quite clear that an early termination would have been the only way to save her life.
    https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/did-irish-catholic-law-or-malpractice-kill-savita-halappanavar/
    ... He and his late wife were led to believe that the law would only allow her to be delivered when there was no fetal heartbeat.

What does the standard of medical care say about this treatment? Without access to the chart, “miscarrying” at 17 weeks can only mean one of three things”

A) Ruptured membranes

B) Advanced cervical dilation

C) Labor (this is unlikely, although it is possible that she had preterm labor that arrested and left her with scenario B, advanced cervical dilation).

All three of these scenarios have a dismal prognosis, none of which should involve the death of the mother.

The standard of care with ruptured membranes (scenario A) is to offer termination or, if there is no evidence of infection and the pregnancy is desired, the option of observing for a few days to see if the leak seals over ... and the baby might make it to at least 24 weeks in the pregnancy, however, I have never heard of a baby surviving in this scenario. Regardless, if infection is suspected at any time the treatment is antibiotics and delivery not antibiotics alone.

The standard of care with scenario B involves offering delivery or possibly a rescue cerclage (a stitch around the cervix to try to prevent further dilation and thus delivery) depending on the situation. Inducing delivery (or a D and E) is offered because a cervix that has dilated significantly often leads to labor or an infection as the membranes are now exposed to the vaginal flora. *

As Ms. Halappanavar died of an infection, one that would have been brewing for several days if not longer, the fact that a termination was delayed for any reason is malpractice. Infection must always be suspected whenever, preterm labor, premature rupture of the membranes, or advanced premature cervical dilation occurs (one of the scenarios that would have brought Ms. Halappanavar to the hospital).

As there is no medically acceptable scenario at 17 weeks where a woman is miscarrying AND is denied a termination, there can only be three plausible explanations for Ms. Hapappanavar’s “medical care” :

1) Irish law does indeed treat pregnant women as second class citizens and denies them appropriate medical care. The medical team was following the law to avoid criminal prosecution.

2) Irish law does not deny women the care they need; however, a zealous individual doctor or hospital administrator interpreted Catholic doctrine in such a way that a pregnant woman’s medical care was somehow irrelevant and superceded by heart tones of a 17 weeks fetus that could never be viable.

3) Irish law allows abortions for women when medically necessary, but the doctors involved were negligent in that they could not diagnose infection when it was so obviously present, did not know the treatment, or were not competent enough to carry out the treatment.

What we do know is that a young, pregnant, woman who presented to the hospital in a first world country died for want of appropriate medical care. Whether it’s Irish Catholic law or malpractice, only time will tell; however, no answer could possibly ease the pain and suffering of Ms. Halappanavar’s loved ones.

Since posting this piece I learned that Ms. Halappanavar’s widower reported that she was leaking amniotic fluid and was fully dilated when first evaluated. There is no medically defensible position for doing anything other than optimal pain control and hastening delivery by the safest means possible.
    * We now know that Savita asked for a cerclage, in the hope of saving her pregnancy, and was told that it was too late, because the membranes were bulging.

"In a first world country" - is making the same point I was earlier, and that Absolam appears not to understand. It's not enough to find third world countries who point at and say, oh look, they do the same over there - that doesn't justify us doing it here. The countries I want Ireland to be comparable with don't do it. Why do we? And the answer is religion.

Really, you should do some leg work yourself Absolam. Find out what chorioamnionitis is, and the answer will be clear to you as to why you are wrong. There was no implication that the foetus was the source of the infection

• Advertisement

Really, you should do some leg work yourself Absolam. Find out what chorioamnionitis is, and the answer will be clear to you as to why you are wrong. There was no implication that the foetus was the source of the infection

The fetus wasn't the source of the initial infection, but it's one of the peculiarities of pregnancy that the placenta, by its nature and function, is an ideal organ for any local infection to set up in and from there to disseminate out into the entire body, and that is what happened to Savita. The fetus, or at least its placenta, wasn't the primary source of the infection, but it became the means of entry into her bloodstream, and therefore the infection was never going to be defeated while the placenta was still in place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement