Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Absolam wrote: »
    Which is a fairly imaginative characterisation given you can't quote me ever setting out criteria for a human being before this particular exchange, never mind you pointing out any flaws in it?
    Really? It's possible I'm thinking of your failed defintions -- or failure to define! -- some other piece of terminology. But I'm pretty sure we've pretty much been through all of them by this stage. (Hence I'm not lightly "throwing them in" -- I'm referring back to similar difficulties with those, in turn.)
    In fairness, throwing "person", "individual" etc in with "human being" may have nozzferrahhtoo in fits, but I'd suggest your throwing them in is probably your own attempt at obfuscating the fact that you never did explain to Absolam several times in the past the flaws in his criteria for "human being" :)
    I'm pretty sure I did, as have others. I refer you to the "totipotence" point, yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

alaimacerc wrote: »
    As I said earlier, what you're grasping towards here is the totipotence thing.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure what you said was "he could at least have made the effort to include "totipotent" this time, after past corrections".
    But neither bacteria, protozoa, or the cells in Vivisectus's mouth are totipotent; and I wasn't saying the fact that the cells of a zygote are is what makes them a human being when the cells of Vivisectus's mouth aren't.
    A zygote is a single cell, but has (given the right developmental environment) the cytobiology to become a complete multicellular organism (of whatever type). The run of the mill somatic cell, while genetically having all the same information, does not. One can make the same observation about intermediate forms of embryonic development. (I think it'd be an abuse of notation to say a blastocyte is 'totipotent', as strictly that's a property of individual cells, but until someone tells me the better-dressed way to say 'collectively setwise totipotent', I'll go with that.)
    Well there you go.. you've made the effort to include "totipotent" this time, so I don't have to.

But neither bacteria, protozoa, or the cells in Vivisectus's mouth are totipotent; [...]

Precisely. Likewise genetically distinct tumours, which would have an even stronger claims to be a (distinct) "human being" by your omission of such a criterion.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

neither bacteria, protozoa, or the cells in Vivisectus's mouth are totipotent; and I wasn't saying the fact that the cells of a zygote are is what makes them a human being when the cells of Vivisectus's mouth aren't.

Actually, the cells in my mouth can also be thought of as totipotent in the sense that they can form all different cell types and develop.... under the right circumstances. We have already done so in mice, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I think maybe the point is that we do have the power to stop it, at least to some degree, so it's not really a btw kind of thing.

You don't have the power to stop it, make it illegal sure, but a woman who unequivocally does not want to carry a pregnancy will not do it. Whatever it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

(and I imagine nozzferrahhtoo would seethe at a pro lifer doing it)
    In fairness, throwing "person", "individual" etc in with "human being" may have nozzferrahhtoo in fits

You appear pretty keen to assign reactions to me I never had, and emotions to me I have never expressed, on this thread. Perhaps the key word above is "imagine" as that is all you appear to be doing about me.
    Which is grand, but I don't think the Church is bringing an argument to the table in THAT context.

I never suggested they would be. I am merely responding to the idea of souls which was mentioned, the idea of proving there are no souls, and the relevance of souls to the discussion and how it should be treated if brought up. You are free to respond to what I said in that context, or you are free to ignore it and make some irrelevant remark about the church instead.
    I don't think they're obliged to satisfy anyone else unless they want to proselytise the opinion

It might be useful, and indeed polite, if you were to read my whole posts before starting to reply to them because this was my point exactly. I very clearly said that if someones belief in souls stops them wanting an abortion or puts them against the idea, then so be it because this is irrelevant to me. I then very clearly went on to say it only becomes relevant when they proselytize that opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions. So really you are now replying to my posts and merely repeating my own points back at me at this stage.
    So.... they haven't said so? You're extrapolating an implication instead?

No, I am telling you what the words "X will become Y" mean. One of the things those words mean is that X is not Y now. If you want to pretend it means something else, have at it. But pretending it will not change it.
    Which onus of evidence now?

The one of backing up something you claim. Try it sometime. I am pointing out that simply throwing out a definition you have plucked arbitrarily out of the air and then suggesting others have to disprove or falsify it, is a shifting of the burden of proof. If you can substantiate the definition, by all means do. If you just want to assert it and move on, then I am simply calling a spade a spade there.
    No, if I want to persuade you of that definition, then the onus is on me to substantiate it. If you want to persuade me to the contrary, then that's entirely up to you

Exactly what I just said. Again you are merely repeating my own points back at me as if you are somehow adding something to the conversation. You do like filler it seems.
    Pretty sure I never claimed there was a coherent definition of "Human Being" either

Pretty sure I never suggested you did either. I have had people put words in my mouth before, but never put words I never said into their own mouths.
    Well, I don't think I've ever seen anyone change their position either way on the thread either, so I reckon you're probably maintaining par for the course there!

Well if you maintain an MO of assertion without substantiation and not offering any arguments that are in any way convincing, then you are going to find no one changing their minds. So not so much that people are maintaining par for the course, so much as you maintaining it for them.
    Honestly, I suspect you can see more of a connection between a human zygote and a human adult than you see between a blueprint for a chair and a chair.

Not hugely no. They are both merely a set of instructions for building something else. You are free to imagine me pretending things, along with your imagining words I never said and emotions I never felt nor expressed, but I am failing to see where this campaign of imagining things about me is meant to get you.
    Luckily, I reckon there were very few who were worried you would attempt to make them have abortions

More of your irrelevant throw away commentary used as filler I see.
    Because they have as much right to an opinion on how society treats people as those who disagree with them, I should think.

You should, especially given I never once suggested otherwise. I am addressing the content of their arguments, not your red herring irrelevancies about a right to an opinion or a vote.
    Well done, you got the point!

I did not get the point, I MADE the point. You merely decided to misrepresent my having made the point as me having missed the point. And appear to wish to continue to do so for your red herring irrelevant post fillers.
    And I suspect that generally it is not intended to be the point of the argument

Yet alas the point I am making is that all too often it is not just the point of the argument, it is the ENTIRE argument. I have genuinely engaged the Anti Choice side. On line on forums like this. Off line in public debates. And off line in approaching their little information tables plastered with photographs that many of us have seen around areas like Central Bank Dublin.

And all I am telling you is that time and time and time again the ENTIRE content and MO of the argument I am given is what I already described above related to linguistic acrobatics around the word "Human".
    Oh, I'm sure we can finesse "DNA is human" to something much more palatable but if Humanity is not a prerequisite for having Human rights, I can't imagine what is?

And there is more of the same linguistic gymnastics to which I refer. You are simply throwing out the concept of the DNA being Human DNA and merely leaping to the word "Humanity". You are not just making my point for me, you are representing my exact point better than I could if I had your username and password and was permitted to write your posts on your behalf. You are demonstrating _exactly_ what I am saying and adding comedy to it too by clearly being oblivious to the fact you are doing it.
    s it possible you're just playing on the word "interests" to score a point?

Quite the opposite. I am highlighting YOUR use of the word to score a point. I am calling it for what it is, the exact same linguistic trickery I have been describing all along. It's "interests" are irrelevant, it has none. You may be having some vicariously on its behalf and then assigning those to it.... but little more. You are not merely vicariously asserting it has interests, but asserting existence is one of them, all subjectively and arbitrarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

But that's not the case at all. Or at the very best, is a "provisional ball" on the individuation course. We've been over monozygotic twins and chimeric mosaics many times -- or at least, I have, the 'other side' of the debate seems to get oddly quiet when those are raised. The zygote could very easily end up as multiple individuals. Or as part of an individual.
    Being an individual is only part of it. Siamese twins may or may not be an individual, but they are human. What's more important in the context is being individual or separate from the parent. Because that implies the possibility of separate interests, and the possibility of a conflict of interests, and therefore whether or not wider society should look out for the interests of the more vulnerable individual.

Consciousness is also a big one. If somebody is brain dead, we are quite willing to let their (still living) body die.

Potential for consciousness is something we don't often discuss. In preventing some individual from reaching their potential, are we not perpetrating some sort of offence against them?

If we thought somebody unconscious and in a coma would recover consciousness some day, we would be less willing to let them die.

recedite wrote: »
    Potential for consciousness is something we don't often discuss. In preventing some individual from reaching their potential, are we not perpetrating some sort of offence against them?

I do not feel we are no. At least in the context of an entity that has never attained it at all. Zygotes and many stages of the development process are stages where the system has simply never acquired consciousness. And my concerns are for conscious creatures, not for bio masses with the potential to MAYBE be conscious some day.

There are stages in development where every bit of our science suggests no consciousness has been attained. The analogy I often use is that if Consciousness is radio broadcasts.... then there are stages in the development process where we not only know the broadcast tower is not turned on.... but that it has not even been built yet.

And I have not seen an argument whatsoever in all my time discussing abortion for assigning human rights in the light of this fact, and as such I remain firmly pro choice on those stages of development as regards abortion.

recedite wrote: »
    Being an individual is only part of it. Siamese twins may or may not be an individual, but they are human.
    It's the part I was addressing, following others having repeatedly made claims around it. A Siamese twin is an individual. There's no "may or may not" about it, frankly. The point is that they (or identical twins more generally, to take the more common and even more clear-cut case) are not collectively "one individual", as your "zygotes are individuals" position would imply. (Without an individuation do-over.)
    What's more important in the context is being individual or separate from the parent.
    No, that's not "more important". That's "what-abouting". Address the original point, if you'd be so good.
    Gametes have a "potential for consciousness". Every sperm is sacred? Do you not, then, have a moral imperative to be having sex Right Now?

Ah, but you say, gametes aren't "individuals". Leading me back to my original point: neither are zygotes, certainly in any definitive sense.

I think potential for consciousness is problematic too, as it is something shared with an awful lot of biological material.

Again - let us consider the cloning process: at what step did this potential appear? If the result is a conscious human, then do not all cells share this potential, at every stage of the process?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Originally Posted by recedite viewpost.gif

Very much so, just as not cloning me from my toenail is an offence against my toenail.

Vivisectus wrote: »
    Again - let us consider the cloning process: at what step did this potential appear? If the result is a conscious human, then do not all cells share this potential, at every stage of the process?

Presumably once this is a viable tech in humans (and it probably effectively is, they're just legally and ethically disbarred from having a go at it), the Vatican, "leading Christian bioethicists", and so on well essentiually just make some $20 statement to the effect of, "zygotes are good potential; cloneable material is baaaaad potential".

I agree with you completely. And yet it is amazingly similar to very early human development: it has human DNA, it has the potential to grow into a human person, to do so it requires an incubator and special circumstances...
    I don't think it's really fair to say it has the potential to grow into a human person though; left alone it simply won't. Yes if you decide to extract it's nucleus and insert that into an egg then that egg has the potential to grow into a human person, but that's not really the same, is it?
    Imagine the stages of cloning: you harvest the cells, you store them, you insert them in an egg, you then implant that egg in the mother, it develops through the normal stages of development, and it is born.
    So, the cells themselves don't actually develop into a human person.
    When did it become alive?
    You could happily say it's biologically alive I'd say when it meets most of the criteria that Oldrnwisr set out?
    Did these cells stop being me when they were harvested?
    I'd say they probably stopped being part of you once they were no longer capable of functioning as part of you after being removed, but I'm open to suggestions in that regard.
    Did they go through an intermediary stage of being dead?
    Whether they went through an intermediary stage of being dead is an interesting notion; did they ever meet Oldrnwisrs criteria for being alive?
    What is the difference between the DNA outside of an egg and inside it?
    Need there be more difference than one is inside an egg and the other isn't?
    What is the difference between the implanted egg and the non-implanted egg charged with my DNA?
    One is implanted and the other isn't?
    And the differences afterwards?[/QUOTE]
    Other that the pre-existing difference, might that not depend on what happens afterwards?
    I have difficulty pinpointing a specific point where life can be said to have begun in this scenario. Human life according to your definition can be said to be present at all stages, in fact. And yet there is a huge difference between the cell that is still part of me, and the born clone.
    I didn't actually offer a definition for human life I'm afraid, but Oldrnwisr did offer a definition for what is human and may be considered alive, if that helps? I'd suggest in the case of your clone there's no reason to think that human life shouldn't be present at any stage where it is present in a naturally occuring human though.
    I think it is perhaps not a very helpful concept in an abortion discussion, strangely enough.
    Maybe not.
    Actually, the cells in my mouth can also be thought of as totipotent in the sense that they can form all different cell types and develop.... under the right circumstances. We have already done so in mice, apparently.
    There is the possibility that they could be changed so that they become totipotent; as has been demonstrated with mice. But they can't realistically be thought of as being totipotent, only as potentially capable of becoming totipotent as a result of intervention.

Really? It's possible I'm thinking of your failed defintions -- or failure to define! -- some other piece of terminology.
    Ah... so it's possible you are claiming you've explained to Absolam several times in the past the flaws in his criteria for "human being", but in fact were thinking of some other criteria for something else entirely? Which will remain unspecified and unquoted, as well as unrelated?
    But I'm pretty sure we've pretty much been through all of them by this stage. (Hence I'm not lightly "throwing them in" -- I'm referring back to similar difficulties with those, in turn.)
    Hmm. So if you think I've failed to define something else to your satisfaction at some point (without getting into anything like specifics), that in some way substantiates a claim that's fictional? I can't really see it, sorry.
    I'm pretty sure I did, as have others. I refer you to the "totipotence" point, yet again.
    I'm pretty sure if you had, you'd be able to quote it.
    Precisely. Likewise genetically distinct tumours, which would have an even stronger claims to be a (distinct) "human being" by your omission of such a criterion.
    And yet I didn't say that an absence of totipotence is what makes a genetically distinct tumour not a human being either. If you want to offer the argument feel free... it's just not mine :)

inocybe wrote: »
    You don't have the power to stop it, make it illegal sure, but a woman who unequivocally does not want to carry a pregnancy will not do it. Whatever it takes.
    The same can be said of murder, tax evasion, speeding and every other offense under law. And yet we don't abandon legislation or acting to prevent them just because some will happen regardless of what we do. I don't think the fact that some people will unequivocally want to exceed a legal speed limit means we should abandon the idea of limiting speed and instead ensure their speeding causes the least inconvenience.

You appear pretty keen to assign reactions to me I never had, and emotions to me I have never expressed, on this thread. Perhaps the key word above is "imagine" as that is all you appear to be doing about me.
    Mmm. So when you said "My position is just that the LEAST coherent or relevant method to do so is to play linguistic gymnastics by STEP 1: Finding SOME way to insert the word "Human" into the conversation (by pointing out that the DNA is human for example) and then using this as a launching board to switch at will to any other use of the word "Human" that the speaker feels supports the Anti Abortion position", did you intend that your opprobrium for such activity is reserved solely for those who use it in a pro choice argument?
    I never suggested they would be. I am merely responding to the idea of souls which was mentioned, the idea of proving there are no souls, and the relevance of souls to the discussion and how it should be treated if brought up. You are free to respond to what I said in that context, or you are free to ignore it and make some irrelevant remark about the church instead.
    Actually the idea that was mentioned was 'it is a religious delusion that the moment an egg is fertilised it attains a soul' which is a difficult assertion to prove. I think you just wandered astray at some stage....
    It might be useful, and indeed polite, if you were to read my whole posts before starting to reply to them because this was my point exactly. I very clearly said that if someones belief in souls stops them wanting an abortion or puts them against the idea, then so be it because this is irrelevant to me. I then very clearly went on to say it only becomes relevant when they proselytize that opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions. So really you are now replying to my posts and merely repeating my own points back at me at this stage.
    Oh, I think you know well I read your posts :)
    What you actually said was "If THEY want to go "satisfy themselves" as you put it then they are welcome to do so with no fight from me. "
    I'm afraid you've a long way to go from acting in accordance with their own principles to "proselytize that opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions". I simply don't see how preventing people from having abortions converts them to believing they shouldn't have abortions.
    No, I am telling you what the words "X will become Y" mean. One of the things those words mean is that X is not Y now. If you want to pretend it means something else, have at it. But pretending it will not change it.
    NO, you're telling me "The moment someone says "This zygote will become a human being" they have instantly, implicitly, by default, conceded it is not human now. If say "X will become Y" then you have instantly implied that X is not Y at this time. ". All I'm saying is that someone has yet to be shown to be saying this, before you even get to what that statement implies.
    The one of backing up something you claim. Try it sometime.
    If I ever have a claim I feel the need to persuade you to accept, I'll certainly give it a go :)
    I am pointing out that simply throwing out a definition you have plucked arbitrarily out of the air and then suggesting others have to disprove or falsify it, is a shifting of the burden of proof. If you can substantiate the definition, by all means do. If you just want to assert it and move on, then I am simply calling a spade a spade there.
    So if you do call a spade a spade, do you feel you have to substantiate the claim, or is it possible it won't make any difference to you whether others accept your definition?
    Exactly what I just said. Again you are merely repeating my own points back at me as if you are somehow adding something to the conversation. You do like filler it seems.
    Except you seem to be having trouble with the "if I want to persuade you of that definition" part. Why do you think that is?
    Pretty sure I never suggested you did either. I have had people put words in my mouth before, but never put words I never said into their own mouths.
    So there you go; neither of us have claimed it is so, so we are closer than you thought!
    Well if you maintain an MO of assertion without substantiation and not offering any arguments that are in any way convincing, then you are going to find no one changing their minds. So not so much that people are maintaining par for the course, so much as you maintaining it for them.
    Do you think we'll find anyone changing their minds either way? It hasn't happened so far, so personally I wouldn't be too inclined to put a great deal of effort into it.....
    Not hugely no. They are both merely a set of instructions for building something else. You are free to imagine me pretending things, along with your imagining words I never said and emotions I never felt nor expressed, but I am failing to see where this campaign of imagining things about me is meant to get you.
    Well, not hugely is a bit different from no more than, so maybe some opinions do change. If not hugely.
    More of your irrelevant throw away commentary used as filler I see.
    Oh, it's about as germane as "they will get no argument from me attempting to make them have one." I'd say.
    You should, especially given I never once suggested otherwise. I am addressing the content of their arguments, not your red herring irrelevancies about a right to an opinion or a vote.
    We're agreed then; I should. See, coming closer all the time!
    I did not get the point, I MADE the point. You merely decided to misrepresent my having made the point as me having missed the point. And appear to wish to continue to do so for your red herring irrelevant post fillers.
    In fairness, I made it first :)
    Yet alas the point I am making is that all too often it is not just the point of the argument, it is the ENTIRE argument. I have genuinely engaged the Anti Choice side. On line on forums like this. Off line in public debates. And off line in approaching their little information tables plastered with photographs that many of us have seen around areas like Central Bank Dublin.
    I'm sure if anyone wants to put that forward as being the entirety of their argument, you'll do an admirable job of pointing it out. But since nobody here seems to be doing so, it's difficult to say if those you say held it as the entirety of their argument believed themselves that it was, in fact, the entirety of their argument.
    And all I am telling you is that time and time and time again the ENTIRE content and MO of the argument I am given is what I already described above related to linguistic acrobatics around the word "Human".
    Is it possible that you may be mistaking an argument based on the concept of humanity (and I'll stipulate, it is in fairness quite an elastic concept), which may be expressed in many linguistic ways which are not intended to alter the concept being discussed, for linguistic acrobatics around the word "Human"? It might explain why it appears that time and time and time again different people present arguments which are founded entirely on linguistic acrobatics. Realistically, if the best argument someone can put forward is sleight of hand which requires deliberate construction, it's hard to imagine they're convincing themselves with it. And if they're not convinced, why would they bother trying to convince anyone else.
    And there is more of the same linguistic gymnastics to which I refer. You are simply throwing out the concept of the DNA being Human DNA and merely leaping to the word "Humanity". You are not just making my point for me, you are representing my exact point better than I could if I had your username and password and was permitted to write your posts on your behalf. You are demonstrating _exactly_ what I am saying and adding comedy to it too by clearly being oblivious to the fact you are doing it.
    Ah, I see. I apologise, placing DNA is human in the same sentence as Humanity is what caused the problem there I think. How about:
    Oh, I'm sure we can finesse "DNA is human" to something much more palatable. But if Humanity is not a prerequisite for having Human rights, I can't imagine what is?
    To be clear; whether or not DNA is human, or a more palatable statement, is not intended to support the notion that Humanity would be a prerequisite for having human rights.
    Quite the opposite. I am highlighting YOUR use of the word to score a point. I am calling it for what it is, the exact same linguistic trickery I have been describing all along. It's "interests" are irrelevant, it has none. You may be having some vicariously on its behalf and then assigning those to it.... but little more. You are not merely vicariously asserting it has interests, but asserting existence is one of them, all subjectively and arbitrarily.
    But I never said it had interests? I said being aborted was not likely to be in the foetus's best interests. You actually quoted me saying it. I neither asserted (vicariously or personally) that it had interests, or that existence was one of them, whether subjectively or arbitrarily. I'm starting to really wonder about your notions of 'linguistic trickery'....

I don't think it's really fair to say it has the potential to grow into a human person though; left alone it simply won't.

Nor will any cell if simply "left alone". The zygote for example, for all the "potential" the Anti choicers go on about, will develop into nothing at all if you simply remove it from a body and leave it alone. What right has an undifferentiated clump of cells with no faculty of consciousness of any kind actually got? Let alone got to trump a woman who simply wishes to say "I want these cells out of MY body thanks"?
    You could happily say it's biologically alive I'd say when it meets most of the criteria that Oldrnwisr set out?

I would be happy to say it is biologically alive under quite a few circumstances actually, some of them not even as rigid at Oldrnwisr's criteria.

But I would do so with the same warning caveat I apply to the word "Human". Where many people bring "Human" into the conversation in an attempt to jump from that word to any other contextual use of the word "Human" in order to manufacture arguments that are not actually there.......... there are others who do exactly the same thing with the word "alive". They think the moment you acknowledge the use of the word "alive" that the argument is over.

But so what? What is "alive" and what has it got to do with anything at all? There are MANY things "alive" biologically on this planet and yet we afford them no rights to life. Plants. Viruses. Ameoba. Animals.

More accurate than "biologically alive" however is that, like eggs and sperm, they are merely active parts of an ongoing human life cycle. And abortion is merely breaking part of the life cycle. And I do not see life cycles as having rights either. Do you?

So when you said did you intend that your opprobrium for such activity is reserved solely for those who use it in a pro choice argument?

Not sure what this has to do with the text you are replying to in which I was pointing out your need to imagine emotions on my behalf that I never expressed. That aside however, when I said those words I was addressing the kind of argument being made, not the people making it.

I am merely explaining that, and why, it is a poor argument and entirely unconvincing. The best response you appear to have to me is either to assign emotions to me I never expressed, or go off on a red herring irrelevancy about how people have a right to an opinion or a vote. NONE of which replies to my arguments or points in even the smallest way.
    Actually the idea that was mentioned was a difficult assertion to prove. I think you just wandered astray at some stage

You may have but that is your problem not mine. I am merely addressing the entire argument of souls in eggs, its utility and relevance to the abortion argument, and where the onus of substantiation lies if such arguments are brought to the table. If you can not, or do not wish to, respond to those points then by all means do not. No one is admonishing you to do so, so there is no need to pretend I am wandering astray as a cover for your not responding to them.
    Oh, I think you know well I read your posts :)
    What you actually said was "

And much like you "suspecting" I think things I do not or feel emotions I do not, every time you presume to know what I know or think..... you end up simply wrong. I know no such thing. And as I said your penchant for post dissection and responding to my points by throwing essentially my own points back at me is strongly suggestive that you do not read them that closely at all. As does....
    I simply don't see how preventing people from having abortions converts them to believing they shouldn't have abortions.

This response given I never claimed anything of the sort at all. My point was that if their faith instructs THEM not to have abortions, I see no problem with that. If their faith instructs them to enter into the abortion debate and move to prevent OTHERS from having them, then I will certainly interrogate them as to the substantiation behind their arguments. Not a difficult point to understand really, so not clear why you are misrepresenting it so poorly.
    All I'm saying is that someone has yet to be shown to be saying this, before you even get to what that statement implies.

I am telling you what the statement means and why it means that. Again, the moment someone claims the zygote has the potential to become a Human Being, they have explicitly said it is not a Human Being now. It is simple logic 101 stuff here that you are not going to negate simply by obsessively being obtuse about it. The simple fact is if one makes the claim that some X is becoming, or could become, some Y.... then they have expressly also indicated that X is not Y now. Bully for them if that happens to torpedo their own already incoherent position on the subject.
    So if you do call a spade a spade, do you feel you have to substantiate the claim

Yes, and I have been. Try it sometime, it is quite enjoyable. I, unlike many others, realize this is a debate forum and that if I make a claim I may be expected to have to back it up. So I always do. There are others who merely want to soap box their views, assert them unchallenged, and perform all kinds of linguistic feats to back track when asked to do so. Often taking the forum of retreat behind the old adages of "I have a right to a vote or opinion" as if anyone ever suggested otherwise.
    Except you seem to be having trouble with the "if I want to persuade you of that definition" part. Why do you think that is?

I have no issue with it at all. Another one of those times you assign and emotion or thought to me I never felt, had, or expressed. In fact I quite clearly, in plain language, indicated the EXACT opposite when I said that if you merely want to assert your definition and not defend it in any way, then I am perfectly ok with that too. But it seems you merely ignored that part of my post in order to feed this narrative of emotion you wish to assign to me that are not actually my own.
    Do you think we'll find anyone changing their minds either way?

I see it all the time actually. Perhaps given I am someone who does not just assert my views but defends and argues them too, I am infinitely more likely to have that experience than you who merely asserts things then back tracks into this "I am not defending it because I have no wish to convince you of anything" rhetoric when challenged on any of it.

But I do on line AND off line debates and I am quite politically activist on many issues, and people changing their minds is not alien to me at all. Both in real time before my eyes and with people returning to me after the fact telling me about a change in mind (much more often than real time, we are not a species that tends to change our mind drastically in real time).

So yes, I see people change their minds often. And I likely would not even both with ANY form of debate at all if I did not.
    Well, not hugely is a bit different from no more than, so maybe some opinions do change. If not hugely.

Linguistic pedantry is not going to dilute my position into something more palatable to you. If you have an issue with my analogy between Blueprints for chairs not being chairs, and Blue prints for a human not being a human, then I can not help you. But that is in fact my position. While there are more complexities in the latter case.... such as the fact a blue print for a chair does not have the faculties to self build that chair in some of the ways a Human cell does.... those complexities do not negate the analogy being made.

The simple fact is I see no argument, much less from anyone posting on this thread, to see the blue print for building a Human Being as itself BEING a human being.
    Oh, it's about as germane as "they will get no argument from me attempting to make them have one." I'd say.

Not a bit of it. There was a point to me saying that, unlike the throw away filler response you threw back at it. The simple fact is I draw a STRONG distinction between a persons personal beliefs informing them about their own choices, and a person using those beliefs to prevent others from making those choices. And that distinction is not going to go away by some throw away dismissive nonsense from you about them being afraid of me trying to make them have abortions.
    I'm sure if anyone wants to put that forward as being the entirety of their argument, you'll do an admirable job of pointing it out. But since nobody here seems to be doing so

Except they are, and I even called you out on examples of it in your previous post. And as I said it is an "argument" that makes up the vast majority of my experiences on and off line in debates with the Anti Abortion Lobby.
    Is it possible that you may be mistaking an argument based on the concept of humanity

Not mistaking it at all. I am merely calling it for what it is when I have observed it happening. The Anti Abortion Lobbyists I have encountered have clearly recognized that we all want to assign Human Rights to Human Beings. So it is simply a natural move for them to make to prevent Abortion by attempting to have that concept of "Human Being" applied as early as possible in the process. Their only path to doing so is clear, to try and get the word "Human" applied as early as possible in the process and simply jump to "Human being" and "Human rights" from there.

And this is exactly what is being done by those who throw out arguments of the form "It is clearly human DNA and it is clearly alive therefore....."
    Oh, I'm sure we can finesse "DNA is human" to something much more palatable. But if Humanity is not a prerequisite for having Human rights, I can't imagine what is?

And in this I entirely agree. Humanity is a good pre-requisite for Human Rights. But "Humanity" like "Human" is another one of those philosophically elastic concepts around which more of the same linguistic acrobatics can be performed. Context is everything son, and in the context of "Human Rights" I have not seen a SINGLE philosophical argument for assigning a concept of "Humanity" to mere Human DNA. Just the same old canard of Human DNA --> Therefore Humanity --> Therefore Human Rights. Essentially using Non Sequitur as a philosophical chess move.
    But I never said it had interests? I said being aborted was not likely to be in the foetus's best interests.

And I never said you said it had interests. So the linguistic trickery is once again yours not mine. I am merely pointing out that the statement you did make is irrelevant and a red herring given that it has not been demonstrated the entity HAS interests of any kind at all. So you can wonder all about linguistic trickery if you so wish, but the point I am actually making is not a difficult one to comprehend, nor was it predicated on a suggesting you actually did say it has interests.

I don't think it's really fair to say it has the potential to grow into a human person though; left alone it simply won't. Yes if you decide to extract it's nucleus and insert that into an egg then that egg has the potential to grow into a human person, but that's not really the same, is it?
    So, the cells themselves don't actually develop into a human person.

We can argue if the potential is in the cell, or in the nucleus, or in the egg, or in the genetic material, or wherever else. The point is that it exists, the same as it exists in a zygote.

And much the same applies to a zygote: left alone, it will not develop. It needs to be provided with a highly specialized environment and it needs to be fed highly specific chemicals in order to develop. Pregnancy is not passive, even if our bodies tend to do it without conscious prompting. Ask any woman.

Whether they went through an intermediary stage of being dead is an interesting notion; did they ever meet Oldrnwisrs criteria for being alive?

I am not so sure. It is a tough one. "life" and "death" seem such simple terms, but they really are not.
    Other that the pre-existing difference, might that not depend on what happens afterwards?

I am not sure what you mean by that. Do we have to wait to see what happens to it before we can retro-actively decide it had been human life?
    I didn't actually offer a definition for human life I'm afraid, but Oldrnwisr did offer a definition for what is human and may be considered alive, if that helps? I'd suggest in the case of your clone there's no reason to think that human life shouldn't be present at any stage where it is present in a naturally occuring human though.

Actually you did: you gave a sort of short-hand definition earlier on. It needed human DNA, and it needed to be alive, for it to be human life. And because it is human life, you oppose it's termination. But as we have seen, human life according to that short hand definition is present in all stages of the process - and yet we do not feel the need to protect toenail clippings.

Maybe not.
    There is the possibility that they could be changed so that they become totipotent; as has been demonstrated with mice. But they can't realistically be thought of as being totipotent, only as potentially capable of becoming totipotent as a result of intervention.

Same goes for zygotes: there is the possibility that they can develop, if they are provided with special circumstances. Just because those circumstances tend to occur because evolution has set us up this way does not make it that different.

The same can be said of murder, tax evasion, speeding and every other offense under law. And yet we don't abandon legislation or acting to prevent them just because some will happen regardless of what we do. I don't think the fact that some people will unequivocally want to exceed a legal speed limit means we should abandon the idea of limiting speed and instead ensure their speeding causes the least inconvenience.

But someone accused of murder or tax evasion who goes overseas to commit it will be extradited and charged. So it's not a real law is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A Siamese twin is an individual. There's no "may or may not" about it, frankly. ...

Gametes have a "potential for consciousness". Every sperm is sacred? Do you not, then, have a moral imperative to be having sex Right Now?

Ah, but you say, gametes aren't "individuals". Leading me back to my original point: neither are zygotes, certainly in any definitive sense.
    Yes, you anticipated my response correctly; gametes are not individuals.
    But I don't follow your next bit. Zygotes are individuals because they are a new and novel recombination of DNA taken from both parents.
    A clone is different. It is an artificially created individual. The exact point at which it becomes an individual is not quite as obvious, but the act of inserting the DNA into an egg cell is an artificial equivalent to fertilisation, so that is the start of it. As it grows and develops its own consciousness, that is the final stage of individualisation for it.

I don't get why you are so sure Siamese twins are an individual. Maybe you mean as a zygote they are, but as as adults they are not?
    IMO the individualisation of twins from each other occurs gradually, as described above for a clone becoming individual from its parent.
    As above - only special treatment of the cells creates a new individual.
    Only when the new individual is formed could we consider its interests separately to the parent.

Re "potential for consciousness".
    Consider the early stage embryo at a similar stage of sentience to a vegetable. No brain activity, and very limited response to stimuli.
    Is it to be treated exactly as a vegetable with no rights whatsoever?
    Or should some (even an infinitely small) weighting be given to the fact that a process is already underway which will lead to a fully conscious and independent human being?

Nor will any cell if simply "left alone". The zygote for example, for all the "potential" the Anti choicers go on about, will develop into nothing at all if you simply remove it from a body and leave it alone.
    I'm pretty sure simply removing it from a body is not leaving it alone.
    What right has an undifferentiated clump of cells with no faculty of consciousness of any kind actually got? Let alone got to trump a woman who simply wishes to say "I want these cells out of MY body thanks"?
    Like anything else, whatever right we choose to confer on it, including, if we wish, the right to have its life trump the wish of a woman who simply wishes to say "I want these cells out of MY body thanks".
    I would be happy to say it is biologically alive under quite a few circumstances actually, some of them not even as rigid at Oldrnwisr's criteria. But I would do so with the same warning caveat I apply to the word "Human". Where many people bring "Human" into the conversation in an attempt to jump from that word to any other contextual use of the word "Human" in order to manufacture arguments that are not actually there.......... there are others who do exactly the same thing with the word "alive". They think the moment you acknowledge the use of the word "alive" that the argument is over.
    So... as long as we simply stick to saying alive when we mean alive, and human when we mean human, we're all good?
    But so what? What is "alive" and what has it got to do with anything at all? There are MANY things "alive" biologically on this planet and yet we afford them no rights to life. Plants. Viruses. Ameoba. Animals.
    Personally, I'd rather be alive than dead. That's a pretty big 'so what' for me. I meet very very few people who would actually rather be dead than alive, so I'd say it's a fairly common point of view.
    More accurate than "biologically alive" however is that, like eggs and sperm, they are merely active parts of an ongoing human life cycle. And abortion is merely breaking part of the life cycle. And I do not see life cycles as having rights either. Do you?
    But so is an adult an active part in the ongoing human life cycle, and we afford it rights. A child is equally an active part in the ongoing human life cycle, and we afford it rights. Maybe the notion of affording a life cycle rights is what's misleading you there? Maybe it's the humans whose life cycles you're talking about breaking that we confer rights on; human adults have rights, human children have rights, human foetuses have rights. And we don't appear to confer them because they're active parts of the life cycle, we confer them at different parts of the life cycle. Maybe that's what's confusing you.

We can argue if the potential is in the cell, or in the nucleus, or in the egg, or in the genetic material, or wherever else. The point is that it exists, the same as it exists in a zygote.
    I think the point is it doesn't exist, the same as it exists in a zygote. We have to alter it, rather radically, and introduce other radically altered material as well, in order for the potential to exist.
    And much the same applies to a zygote: left alone, it will not develop. It needs to be provided with a highly specialized environment and it needs to be fed highly specific chemicals in order to develop. Pregnancy is not passive, even if our bodies tend to do it without conscious prompting. Ask any woman.
    Left alone, it will already be in that highly specialized environment where it will be fed highly specific chemicals in order to develop. Unlike your mouth cell, which needs to be removed from its environment, stripped of all but it's nucleus, combined with another cell and placed into a new entirely different highly specialized environment which will feed it highly specific chemicals in order to develop. There's a not inconsiderable difference between the two!
    I am not sure what you mean by that. Do we have to wait to see what happens to it before we can retro-actively decide it had been human life?
    Weren't you asking what the difference would be between an implanted egg and a non-implanted egg charged with your DNA? To which it would seem the answer is whatever happens after the implantation will demonstrate whatever difference there is between the two, other than the difference already indentified.
    Actually you did: you gave a sort of short-hand definition earlier on. It needed human DNA, and it needed to be alive, for it to be human life. And because it is human life, you oppose it's termination. But as we have seen, human life according to that short hand definition is present in all stages of the process - and yet we do not feel the need to protect toenail clippings.
    I think you'll find it was a sort of short hand definition for what a human being is, not a human life. And a pretty poor one at that, nowhere near as good as the two I quoted in the same post.
    Same goes for zygotes: there is the possibility that they can develop, if they are provided with special circumstances. Just because those circumstances tend to occur because evolution has set us up this way does not make it that different.
    Well not really the same; the zygote is not potentially capable of becoming totipotent as a result of intervention, it's already totipotent. It doesn't need to be provided with special circumstances in order to grow, it already resides in the circumstances it requires to grow. So yes, it is pretty much entirely different.

inocybe wrote: »
    But someone accused of murder or tax evasion who goes overseas to commit it will be extradited and charged. So it's not a real law is it?
    Well, they could be extradited and charged if Ireland has an agreement with the country they're in to do so, and that country is persuaded the accusation has standing.
    As far as I know we have no extradition treaty with any countries for speeding offences, and the odd few other offenses under Irish law too. Does that mean they're not real laws either?

I think the point is it doesn't exist, the same as it exists in a zygote. We have to alter it, rather radically, and introduce other radically altered material as well, in order for the potential to exist.

I think you will find a zygote also requires a lot of drastic input to develop. This is starting to sound like an argument from nature.
    Left alone, it will already be in that highly specialized environment where it will be fed highly specific chemicals in order to develop.

Your definition of "left alone" apparently includes being carefully provided with everything you need. I would call that "carefully looked after by a sophisticated feedback system".

Pregnancy is an activity. A fairly risky one that requires drastic changes to your body.

But either way, the fact remains that any genetic material, if placed and maintained carefully, can develop into a human being. So the zygotes ability to develop alone is not enough.
    Unlike your mouth cell, which needs to be removed from its environment, stripped of all but it's nucleus, combined with another cell and placed into a new entirely different highly specialized environment which will feed it highly specific chemicals in order to develop. There's a not inconsiderable difference between the two!

There are some practical differences, sure. But we were talking about definitions, and how a definition like "human life" can be considered more or less helpful.

Because it equally applies to all stages of the process I mentioned.
    Weren't you asking what the difference would be between an implanted egg and a non-implanted egg charged with your DNA? To which it would seem the answer is whatever happens after the implantation will demonstrate whatever difference there is between the two, other than the difference already indentified.

I am not at all sure what you are trying to get at with this.
    Well not really the same; the zygote is not potentially capable of becoming totipotent as a result of intervention, it's already totipotent. It doesn't need to be provided with special circumstances in order to grow, it already resides in the circumstances it requires to grow. So yes, it is pretty much entirely different.

But it does indeed need to be provided with those special circumstances. This process is called "pregnancy". Without it, it will not develop. And just because the route to totipotency is different is not really important to this discussion. The point is that it is reached in both cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

Listening too much to the following typical equivocations, misrepresentations, delusions, biological illiteracy & outright falsehoods found on the mainstream media from certain individuals such as :- “tis killing babies Joe/ tis murder Joe/ the ‘right to life from conception’ slogan / my right to stick my nose into your business and force you to do something against your will (my paraphrase)” would drive most people to distraction.

It’s medieval to force any person (only women in this case) to do something against their will. Such coercion goes directly against the trajectory of societal development of the last 800 years or more.

If anti-choice thinking raises your blood pressure to danger levels I would recommend the following (as suggested by a regular poster somewhere recently) plus a strong cup of coffee. I think this is the benchmark for sane, mature abortion rights - it’s a relief to read about it.
    Wiki wrote:
    …. since then [1988] Canada has had no criminal laws governing the subject, and abortion is a decision made by a woman with her doctor. Without legal delays, most abortions are done at a very early stage.

… This number [of abortions] has been decreasing since at least 1998….

The fact that no subsequent government has re-visited this decision has been what has led to the unique situation of Canada having no abortion law whatsoever. Abortion was now treated like any other medical procedure, governed by provincial and medical regulations.

It does if you consider that the primary right of an individual is the right to life, in fact in that light, how can a society be a civilised, pluralist, democracy when it ignores that most basic right of an individual?
    I was initially addressing the “right to life from conception” argument. Interesting that it turned out, you don’t accept this argument either!!

As oldrnwisr & others have addressed this so comprehensively here it can said to be resolved (again, it seems ;)); but of course, will that stop all the usual suspects in wider society from ignorantly spouting this line whenever abortion comes up again. I think we can all agree - that would be a no.

Btw, it’s amusing to be accused of introducing red herrings. When I mentioned some religions claim the egg attains a soul at conception, I put a roll eyes emoticon after it. I was implying it was an off-hand joke – after all those-of-little-faith are sometimes known to darken the doors of this den of iniquity.

I’m also with oldrnwisr in that I think the following time periods are much more interesting to assess for pro-choicers (which I need to look into in more detail):-
    Now, IMHO, the first point that should give us pause in this debate is at about 12 weeks when brainwave patterns become detectable….... In fact, the most careful period to consider is the period between 13 weeks and 20 weeks because we have seen from the statistics that abortions performed after 20 weeks are more likely to be performed for serious non-trivial medical reasons.

Not sure what this has to do with the text you are replying to in which I was pointing out your need to imagine emotions on my behalf that I never expressed. That aside however, when I said those words I was addressing the kind of argument being made, not the people making it.
    Oh, it was where you expressed your distaste for a particular kind of argument; I didn't need to imagine emotions on your behalf, I opined that you might be exercised by a similar style being used by posters. Obviously you're not. I wonder would it be the case if they had been pro choice posters.
    I am merely explaining that, and why, it is a poor argument and entirely unconvincing. The best response you appear to have to me is either to assign emotions to me I never expressed, or go off on a red herring irrelevancy about how people have a right to an opinion or a vote. NONE of which replies to my arguments or points in even the smallest way.
    I understand, and I'm sure given the opportunity you'd say you'd find the same thing equally poor and unconvincing from a pro choice poster.
    You may have but that is your problem not mine. I am merely addressing the entire argument of souls in eggs, its utility and relevance to the abortion argument, and where the onus of substantiation lies if such arguments are brought to the table. If you can not, or do not wish to, respond to those points then by all means do not. No one is admonishing you to do so, so there is no need to pretend I am wandering astray as a cover for your not responding to them.
    No, I haven't; I still think it's a difficult assertion to prove.
    And much like you "suspecting" I think things I do not or feel emotions I do not, every time you presume to know what I know or think..... you end up simply wrong. I know no such thing. And as I said your penchant for post dissection and responding to my points by throwing essentially my own points back at me is strongly suggestive that you do not read them that closely at all.
    Well, I'm sure you know your own mind :)
    As does....This response given I never claimed anything of the sort at all. My point was that if their faith instructs THEM not to have abortions, I see no problem with that. If their faith instructs them to enter into the abortion debate and move to prevent OTHERS from having them, then I will certainly interrogate them as to the substantiation behind their arguments. Not a difficult point to understand really, so not clear why you are misrepresenting it so poorly.
    Well, again what you actually said was "it only becomes relevant when they proselytize that opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions"
    Proselytising is converting or attempting to convert someone to your beliefs. Hence my response; I simply don't see how preventing people from having abortions converts them to believing they shouldn't have abortions.

I am telling you what the statement means and why it means that. Again, the moment someone claims the zygote has the potential to become a Human Being, they have explicitly said it is not a Human Being now. It is simple logic 101 stuff here that you are not going to negate simply by obsessively being obtuse about it. The simple fact is if one makes the claim that some X is becoming, or could become, some Y.... then they have expressly also indicated that X is not Y now. Bully for them if that happens to torpedo their own already incoherent position on the subject.
    You're telling me people are making this statement; I'm telling you I'm not seeing anyone making it. If someone decides to make the statement, they may have a simple logic 101 reasoning to back it up, but until then you're arguing against something no one seems to be saying.
    Yes, and I have been. Try it sometime, it is quite enjoyable. I, unlike many others, realize this is a debate forum and that if I make a claim I may be expected to have to back it up. So I always do. There are others who merely want to soap box their views, assert them unchallenged, and perform all kinds of linguistic feats to back track when asked to do so. Often taking the forum of retreat behind the old adages of "I have a right to a vote or opinion" as if anyone ever suggested otherwise.
    I'm not so sure; you've yet to substantitate the claim that anyone is offering the arguments you're arguing against, for instance.
    I have no issue with it at all. Another one of those times you assign and emotion or thought to me I never felt, had, or expressed. In fact I quite clearly, in plain language, indicated the EXACT opposite when I said that if you merely want to assert your definition and not defend it in any way, then I am perfectly ok with that too. But it seems you merely ignored that part of my post in order to feed this narrative of emotion you wish to assign to me that are not actually my own.
    And yet you still seem rather exercised by the notion that posters might assert their views unchallenged, and perform all kinds of linguistic feats to back track when asked to do so. that seems rather conflicted.
    I see it all the time actually. Perhaps given I am someone who does not just assert my views but defends and argues them too, I am infinitely more likely to have that experience than you who merely asserts things then back tracks into this "I am not defending it because I have no wish to convince you of anything" rhetoric when challenged on any of it.
    It doesn't seem likely; we're both reading the exact same discussions here in fairness.
    Linguistic pedantry is not going to dilute my position into something more palatable to you.
    I've no doubt nothing would dilute your position into something more palatable to me :)
    The simple fact is I see no argument, much less from anyone posting on this thread, to see the blue print for building a Human Being as itself BEING a human being.
    Which is all well and good; what I was wondering was whether you could see that a human zygote has more in common with a human adult than a blueprint for a chair has in common with a chair.
    Not a bit of it. There was a point to me saying that, unlike the throw away filler response you threw back at it. The simple fact is I draw a STRONG distinction between a persons personal beliefs informing them about their own choices, and a person using those beliefs to prevent others from making those choices. And that distinction is not going to go away by some throw away dismissive nonsense from you about them being afraid of me trying to make them have abortions.
    Maybe you just didn't realise how germane it was to your not at all throw away filler comment then?
    Except they are, and I even called you out on examples of it in your previous post. And as I said it is an "argument" that makes up the vast majority of my experiences on and off line in debates with the Anti Abortion Lobby.
    And as I pointed out; it wasn't intended to support the notion, you simply read it that way. Which begs the question are you simply reading other similar propositions the same way, and failing to consider that the point being offered is not the one you think it is.
    Not mistaking it at all. I am merely calling it for what it is when I have observed it happening. The Anti Abortion Lobbyists I have encountered have clearly recognized that we all want to assign Human Rights to Human Beings. So it is simply a natural move for them to make to prevent Abortion by attempting to have that concept of "Human Being" applied as early as possible in the process. Their only path to doing so is clear, to try and get the word "Human" applied as early as possible in the process and simply jump to "Human being" and "Human rights" from there.
    So, if for instance the word Human is used in a discussion, and then the words"Human being" and "Human rights" are also used, is the first always used in order to jump to the second and third, or is it at all possible that all three might appear cogently in a discussion, without any desire to link the three in some sort of magical trifecta that creates some sort of mystical power argument?
    And this is exactly what is being done by those who throw out arguments of the form "It is clearly human DNA and it is clearly alive therefore....."
    So, when something that is clearly human DNA (lets say we tested it in a lab to be sure) and clearly alive (an excellent biologist assured us of all seven characteristics firing on all cylinders), therefore it is alive human DNA.... what? Human, Human being, Human rights, tada everyone must agree with me I have the magic of three? I still can't see where you think people who would offer this line of argument think they will end up?
    And in this I entirely agree. Humanity is a good pre-requisite for Human Rights. But "Humanity" like "Human" is another one of those philosophically elastic concepts around which more of the same linguistic acrobatics can be performed. Context is everything son, and in the context of "Human Rights" I have not seen a SINGLE philosophical argument for assigning a concept of "Humanity" to mere Human DNA. Just the same old canard of Human DNA --> Therefore Humanity --> Therefore Human Rights. Essentially using Non Sequitur as a philosophical chess move.
    I haven't seen an argument for it either. Nor have I seen the argument "Human DNA --> Therefore Humanity --> Therefore Human Rights" (which seems to be the same thing?) offered either.
    And I never said you said it had interests. So the linguistic trickery is once again yours not mine. .
    Well... you did. You said "You are not merely vicariously asserting it has interests, but asserting existence is one of them". It's not really linguistic trickery to point out you said what you said.
    I am merely pointing out that the statement you did make is irrelevant and a red herring given that it has not been demonstrated the entity HAS interests of any kind at all.
    And again, no one said it had interests of any kind at all. What I said was being aborted was not likely to be in the foetus's best interests. You actually quoted me saying it. I neither asserted (vicariously or personally) that it had interests, or that existence was one of them, whether subjectively or arbitrarily.
    So you can wonder all about linguistic trickery if you so wish, but the point I am actually making is not a difficult one to comprehend, nor was it predicated on a suggesting you actually did say it has interests
    Well, I've a better idea of what you think linguistic trickery is now :)

Well, they could be extradited and charged if Ireland has an agreement with the country they're in to do so, and that country is persuaded the accusation has standing.
    As far as I know we have no extradition treaty with any countries for speeding offences, and the odd few other offenses under Irish law too. Does that mean they're not real laws either?

Speeding isn't the best analogy if you truly believe abortion to be murder. Do you think a women swallowing abortion pills will ever spend 14 years in prison in this country? Do you think she should?

It does if you consider that the primary right of an individual is the right to life [...]
    I note that, having abandoned by the roadside any serious attempt to defend the use of "individual" as the class of human entities that begin at conception, we're after a very brief fallow period indeed this time right back to using it to sweepingly characterise the basis of the fundamental rights of all such entities, essentially interchangeably.

InB4 "ah, but I said 'if', you'll never prove I'm actually making such an argument, copper!"

• Advertisement

I think you'll find it was a sort of short hand definition for what a human being is, not a human life. And a pretty poor one at that, nowhere near as good as the two I quoted in the same post.
    Better to link to individual posts rather than a entire page of them, ideally, btw.

Yes, it was pretty poor, but those others won't suffice for what you're aiming at either: they rely on "individual" and "person", respectively.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement