Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

recedite wrote: »
    But I don't follow your next bit. Zygotes are individuals because they are a new and novel recombination of DNA taken from both parents.
    That's mere assertion, not an argument. But what has that to do with "individuation", in the context of my point about monozygotic twins and chimeras? That is plainly not the point at which they became individuated.
    A clone is different. It is an artificially created individual. The exact point at which it becomes an individual is not quite as obvious, but the act of inserting the DNA into an egg cell is an artificial equivalent to fertilisation, so that is the start of it.
    You might want to pause and give some further thought to what is and isn't "obvious" before breezily deploying a further argument inconsistent with the previous one. How can it be "equivalent to fertilisation" if the entire basis of your argument is based on genetic difference? (Also true of many tumours, incidentally. As also already pointed out several times.)
    I don't get why you are so sure Siamese twins are an individual.
    If you're not sure, perhaps you should ask them?
    Maybe you mean as a zygote they are, but as as adults they are not?
    I think you've here entirely lost track of which of us is making the 'zygotes are individuals' argument. Or failing to make it, rather!
    IMO the individualisation of twins from each other occurs gradually, as described above for a clone becoming individual from its parent.
    I assume you mean specifically monozygotic twins, unless you're putting fraternal twins into individuation escrow by way of guilt-by-association.

So, what you're saying is that a zygote is definitely an individual... unless it turns out to be twins, in which case un-individuation travels back in time, and only occurs after the cleavage point, in this case? But in non-twins, lacking the need for the timey-wimey stuff, it definitely occurred at conception, no worries!

Repeat the exercise for chimeric mosaics. Does an individual "die" when one is formed, even though all its constituents are still alive? Which one? Both? Does a "new" individual get formed at this point?

If individuation is "gradual" for twins, clones and chimeras, then by rather basic logic it's gradual for all embryos. Open your mind, and your argument may follow.
    Or should some (even an infinitely small) weighting be given to the fact that a process is already underway which will lead to a fully conscious and independent human being?
    "Will", or, as I keep pointing out, "will not", as the case may be. Does anyone else not feel about this sort of thing much as I do when I hear UK reporters talking about a toddler as their "future king"... speaking multiple intervening royal deaths and likely half-a-dozen or so decades ahead in time? Presume ye not so much.

Should human zygotes be regarded as 'sacred'? Well, as I've said before, in the Mary Warnock sense that they should also be treated with reverence and respect, certainly. They shouldn't be treated as mere commodities or properties in legal terms, either.

But this is Ireland. We're not talking about whether there should be an "infinitely small weighting" given to them. We're talking about whether they should be ascribed "rights", which the state then exercises on their "behalf", to override the free will, bodily integrity, and health of adult women who wish otherwise.

Absolam wrote: »
    Ah... so it's possible you are claiming you've explained to Absolam several times in the past the flaws in his criteria for "human being", but in fact were thinking of some other criteria for something else entirely? Which will remain unspecified and unquoted, as well as unrelated?
    My most urgent point of curiosity is... why are you now referring to yourself in the third person?

Possible, but unlikely. Mainly I think you sharply overestimate the attraction of trawling your posting history for a recollection I'm pretty confident is broadly accurate, and even more confident would dealt with further lengthy exercises in splitting tangential hairs than any good-faith acknowledgement of the essential point.
    Hmm. So if you think I've failed to define something else to your satisfaction at some point (without getting into anything like specifics), that in some way substantiates a claim that's fictional? I can't really see it, sorry.
    I'm pretty sure if you had, you'd be able to quote it.
    You don't feel "fictional" is a remarkably strong and uncivil claim, even in the context of this otherwise routine exercise in "links or it didn't happen"? Who knows, maybe if you escalate a few more steps I might actually find that sheer infuriation overcomes laziness, so perhaps it's worth the try.
    And yet I didn't say that an absence of totipotence is what makes a genetically distinct tumour not a human being either. If you want to offer the argument feel free... it's just not mine :)
    As I recall, what you sought to imply was that they weren't genetically distinct at all, and thus you didn't have any real argument you were able to stand up on the point. Feel free to refresh my memory if you did, or have salvaged one since.

But since you're now using the "totipotence" point I helpfully supplied to you positively left and right, "I would rather you just said 'thank you', and went on your way."

This is all by the by, in any case. It would largely suffice to produce a definition of any of these consistent with your use of the terminology and underlying point(s) in the present.

In your own time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Maybe we can have a conscience clause added to say you can have an abortion if you believe its ok? Iona and friends were all for conscience clauses before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

alaimacerc wrote: »

In your own time.

Oh christ on a bike, don't say that! Yawn....

If Absolam would EVER in a MILLION YEARS* try to broaden his/her answers rather than pedantically honing in on a paragraph, I might be moved to read them directly instead of just reading the replies to his/her answers.

*yes Absolam, I know that is an exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

To those who oppose abortions of ANY kind (and I know some people who oppose abortions here don't have a total ban in mind) this story is what is wrong with the present Irish Laws on abortion, and what follows as a result of the application of the laws here.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/we-didnt-get-a-funeral-mdash-just-an-envelope-to-the-door--family-receive-sons-remains-in-envelope-335572.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I don't understand the mentality of those people. They chose to abort the foetus or "their son" as they put it, and then they asked the UK clinic to send the ashes to them by courier.
    Then when the ashes arrive they complain about it not being a proper funeral. I do feel sorry for them though, they must be physically, mentally and emotionally drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Vivisectus wrote: »
    I think you will find a zygote also requires a lot of drastic input to develop.
    I don't disagree, but that drastic input is available to it as it is; unlike the cells in your cheek.
    This is starting to sound like an argument from nature.
    I'm not arguing that a natural process is better than an artificial one, only that it's different to an artificial one.
    Your definition of "left alone" apparently includes being carefully provided with everything you need. I would call that "carefully looked after by a sophisticated feedback system".
    It does, if that provision occurs without any interference. In the case of a zygote it does, in the case of your cheek cells, it doesn't.
    Pregnancy is an activity. A fairly risky one that requires drastic changes to your body.
    I would have thought state would be a more accurate term than activity, but engaging in the activity of being pregnant, or even being in a pregnant state doesn't require a person to interfere with the development of the zygote in the general run of things as far as I can see?
    But either way, the fact remains that any genetic material, if placed and maintained carefully, can develop into a human being. So the zygotes ability to develop alone is not enough.
    Not enough for what? It seems to me that being genetic material than can develop into a human being when left alone distinguishes it from genetic material that cannot develop into a human being when left alone.
    There are some practical differences, sure. But we were talking about definitions, and how a definition like "human life" can be considered more or less helpful. Because it equally applies to all stages of the process I mentioned.
    Well, you were trying to point out that the potential in a cheek cell is the same as the potential in a zygote; that there are practical differences demonstrates it doesn't.
    It was actually the definition of human being that we were talking about, rather than human life, but I take your point; philosophical concepts like those don't lend themselves well to factual dissection.
    I am not at all sure what you are trying to get at with this.
    Well, you asked
    What is the difference between the implanted egg and the non-implanted egg charged with my DNA? And the differences afterwards?

I replied:
    One is implanted and the other isn't? Other that the pre-existing difference, might that (the difference afterwards) not depend on what happens afterwards?

Then you said:
    I am not sure what you mean by that. Do we have to wait to see what happens to it before we can retro-actively decide it had been human life?

Which is where I think you started to confuse yourself, because your original question wasn't about whether it was/had been human life, it was about what the difference between the two was. So I replied:
    Weren't you asking what the difference would be between an implanted egg and a non-implanted egg charged with your DNA? To which it would seem the answer is whatever happens after the implantation will demonstrate whatever difference there is between the two, other than the difference already indentified.

Which takes us up to your question as to what I'm getting at above. Hopefully that clarifies it?
    But it does indeed need to be provided with those special circumstances. This process is called "pregnancy". Without it, it will not develop. And just because the route to totipotency is different is not really important to this discussion. The point is that it is reached in both cases.
    It is already provided with those circumstances; the process called pregnancy is caused by the presence of the zygote. Unlike your cheek cells, which if artificially placed in the same circumstances as the zygote would not cause a pregnancy (unless it was artificially re-engineered into a zygote of course). And the zygote doesn't take a route to totipotency; it is already totipotent. Nor will a cheek cell take a route to totipotency; it must be taken apart and placed in another cell. Which is rather important to the discussion if what you're discussing is how a zygote is different to a cell scraping from your cheek.

inocybe wrote: »
    Speeding isn't the best analogy if you truly believe abortion to be murder. Do you think a women swallowing abortion pills will ever spend 14 years in prison in this country? Do you think she should?
    What if you don't believe abortion to be murder? What if you believe that the destruction of unborn human life is an offense, and that driving a mechanically propelled vehicle at a speed exceeding a speed limit applying in relation to the vehicle is an offense? Neither offense is subject to extradition, which means they would both seem to be analogous in regard to the question that you framed.

So, is neither of them a real law as a result of not being subject to extradition?

I note that, having abandoned by the roadside any serious attempt to defend the use of "individual" as the class of human entities that begin at conception, we're after a very brief fallow period indeed this time right back to using it to sweepingly characterise the basis of the fundamental rights of all such entities, essentially interchangeably.
    Are you able to quote anyone making an attempt to defend the use of "individual" as the class of human entities that begin at conception?
    InB4 "ah, but I said 'if', you'll never prove I'm actually making such an argument, copper!"
    Are you able to quote anyone arguing 'if' they attempted to defend the use of "individual" as the class of human entities that begin at conception?

Better to link to individual posts rather than a entire page of them, ideally, btw.
    Well, you seem to have managed to find it all the same, unlike all the other posts you didn't manage to quote :)
    Yes, it was pretty poor, but those others won't suffice for what you're aiming at either: they rely on "individual" and "person", respectively.
    Really?
    Encyclopedia Brittanica
    human being (Homo sapiens), a culture-bearing primate that is anatomically similar and related to the other great apes but is distinguished by a more highly developed brain and a resultant capacity for articulate speech and abstract reasoning.

doesn't seem to include either individual or person. Which is not to say a definition of human being that includes either individual or person doesn't suffice for what I'm aiming at, just that some people don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I don't understand the mentality of those people. They chose to abort the foetus or "their son" as they put it, and then they asked the UK clinic to send the ashes to them by courier.
    Then when the ashes arrive they complain about it not being a proper funeral. I do feel sorry for them though, they must be physically, mentally and emotionally drained.

Now that's sarcasm.... :D

My most urgent point of curiosity is... why are you now referring to yourself in the third person?
    Is it urgent? You were speaking about me in third person, I just followed along.
    Possible, but unlikely. Mainly I think you sharply overestimate the attraction of trawling your posting history for a recollection I'm pretty confident is broadly accurate, and even more confident would dealt with further lengthy exercises in splitting tangential hairs than any good-faith acknowledgement of the essential point.
    I don't think it's terribly unlikely.. and whilst I've no doubt going back through posts to find what you imagine was said wasn't is not that attractive, it might demonstrate why I'm reluctant, in good faith, to acknowledge a statement that was never made.
    You don't feel "fictional" is a remarkably strong and uncivil claim, even in the context of this otherwise routine exercise in "links or it didn't happen"? Who knows, maybe if you escalate a few more steps I might actually find that sheer infuriation overcomes laziness, so perhaps it's worth the try.
    If I felt you could quote where you explained to me several times in the past the flaws in my criteria for "human being", I'd definitely feel fictional was an incorrect claim? Strong or uncivil not so much; maybe that's just down to the occasionally poor way the written word can convey tone.
    As I recall, what you sought to imply was that they weren't genetically distinct at all, and thus you didn't have any real argument you were able to stand up on the point. Feel free to refresh my memory if you did, or have salvaged one since.
    Sure; I wasn't seeking to imply anything at all.I was saying that I can see a zygote as a creature, but I can't really see a cell from Vivisectus's mouth as a creature. Or to expand the end part of my post, it's easy to envisage a zygote as whole thing, whereas a cell from the mouth seems more a part of a thing.
    But since you're now using the "totipotence" point I helpfully supplied to you positively left and right, "I would rather you just said 'thank you', and went on your way."
    Well to be fair, totipotence was added to our current discussion by Oldrnwisr in his reply to me. You certainly do seem to have fallen in love with it since I'll agree. Though I've really only used it myself in reply to others usage.
    This is all by the by, in any case. It would largely suffice to produce a definition of any of these consistent with your use of the terminology and underlying point(s) in the present.
    You might want to specify what any of these actually is, before I offer an opinion on whether they're consistent with my use of particular terminology; as for underlying points you're not saying what you think they are either, so I'm not sure how I'd reply to them; in the present or otherwise.
    In your own time.
    Thanks. I'd hate to feel rushed.

Shrap wrote: »
    Oh christ on a bike, don't say that! Yawn....If Absolam would EVER in a MILLION YEARS* try to broaden his/her answers rather than pedantically honing in on a paragraph, I might be moved to read them directly instead of just reading the replies to his/her answers.
    I do agree brevity is laudable. But I also think specificity is worthwhile. So tortuous as it may be, my answers to long points can often be long.

I apologise, with the sole reservation that I can't honestly say I won't continue to try and address everything that seems worthwhile addressing.

You are joking me right? You don't understand the mentality that could lead a person not to want to have to anticipate the death of the much wanted baby by prolonging the agonising grief? Bit of an empathy fail there methinks.

Edit: see next post for my "doh" moment.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Now that's sarcasm.... :D

Oh. Sorry recedite. Still drinking my first cuppa, not quite awake. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Oh, it was where you expressed your distaste for a particular kind of argument; I didn't need to imagine emotions on your behalf

I never once said you needed to do it. I just pointed out where you WERE doing it. Imagining emotions I never expressed, and words I never said, has been a bit of an MO from you through the conversation so far.
    I wonder would it be the case if they had been pro choice posters. I understand, and I'm sure given the opportunity you'd say you'd find the same thing equally poor and unconvincing from a pro choice poster.

I am happy to point out bad arguments from both sides when I see them and explain why I think they are bad. For example the Pro Choice movement has many people who make the appeal to rape fallacy. I never use rape in the argument about abortion. A fetus either has a right to life, or it does not. I do not see the mother having been raped as an argument therefore to allow abortion. Because if a fetus DID have rights, then why would we remove the rights of entity X because of a crime committed on Y by some person Z?

Thankfully however since I see no arguments being put forward at all, much less from you, that a fetus should have rights at all, let alone specifically the right to life, the rape argument is less than relevant to me.
    No, I haven't; I still think it's a difficult assertion to prove.Well, I'm sure you know your own mind :) Well, again what you actually said was

I can see you like irrelevant post fillers on your mission to dissect the posts you reply to into as many tiny sections as possible, but really telling me what my own words were is superfluous to requirements. I am more than aware of what I said, and what I mean by what I said. I am happy to repeat: Peoples personal beliefs are of no concern to me, until such time as they are either proselytizing them or using them to influence public law or policy.
    You're telling me people are making this statement; I'm telling you I'm not seeing anyone making it.

I am telling you what my experience of the arguments being made by the anti choice side effectively boil down to. You might not see it but that does not mean it is not there. It happens all the time. The "potential" argument of what a zygote has the potential to be or become in the future permeates the discourse on this topic and if you have not seen it, then it is only for want of looking. And I am merely pointing out a simple linguistic fact that you have not once rebutted, but dodged which is this: If something is becoming something else, or has the potential to be that something else, then by definition it is not that something else now.
    I'm not so sure; you've yet to substantitate the claim that anyone is offering the arguments you're arguing against, for instance.

Except I have, but your capacity to ignore things is unrivaled on this thread. Every thread on this forum debating abortion, for example, including this very thread here and the last recent pages of it, are permeated by the "potential" argument of what a Zygote could or may become. If you choose to ignore it to feed this narrative you have invented of me arguing against things that are not there, then so be it.
    And yet you still seem rather exercised by the notion that posters might assert their views unchallenged, and perform all kinds of linguistic feats to back track when asked to do so. that seems rather conflicted.

I recognize that this is a debate and discussion forum. And I am here to debate and discuss. There appears to be two kinds of people on the forum. Those that are happy to debate, discuss and substantiate their views.... like myself.... and those who wish to simply soap box an idea or definition or claim, and then duck dodge and weave and essentially cop out of any and all requests to engage on those things. Like you.
    Which is all well and good; what I was wondering was whether you could see that a human zygote has more in common with a human adult than a blueprint for a chair has in common with a chair.Maybe you just didn't realise how germane it was to your not at all throw away filler comment then?

Nothing germane about it, the distinction was a real one, and a useful one to make. As is the analogy between blueprints. As far as the analogy goes the answer is a clear "no" I do not see how one has more in common than the other. They are both essentially a set of instructions for building something that they, in and of themselves, are not. They are blue prints for building X but are not themselves X. And while the analogy appears to bother you you have neither discussed it, explained your issue with it, nor refuted it as of yet.
    And as I pointed out; it wasn't intended to support the notion, you simply read it that way. Which begs the question are you simply reading other similar propositions the same way, and failing to consider that the point being offered is not the one you think it is.

Had there been only one or two examples of this then it might be a useful bit of introspection to consider that point. However given not just some or many but the VAST majority of arguments I hear from the Anti Choice side have fit this narrative exactly, you can rest assured that introspection was performed a long time ago and the answer is "no".
    So, if for instance the word Human is used in a discussion, and then the words"Human being" and "Human rights" are also used, is the first always used in order to jump to the second and third, or is it at all possible that all three might appear cogently in a discussion, without any desire to link the three in some sort of magical trifecta that creates some sort of mystical power argument?

Of course it is possible. Which is why one explores the context at the time, engages the speaker on their arguments and what exactly they are trying to say, and then finds out if one's suspicions are well founded or not. I do not have some simplistic parsing system that if I hear the three phrases used in the one paragraph I instantly dismiss it as being the linguistic trickery I describe. I continue to engage with the speaker until such time as I evaluate if they are selling the narrative I describe. And invariably the answer is yes.
    I still can't see where you think people who would offer this line of argument think they will end up?

Odd given I described already where I believe they think they will end up. I am happy to repeat it again however to accommodate your ongoing failure in this regard. The point is that people on both sides of the argument agree that the right to life should be accorded human beings. So the linguistic trickery narrative that these people sell is simply designed to accord the status of "human being" to the fetus as early as possible in the fetus, in an attempt to get people who are Pro Choice to reverse their position due to the fetus being a human being deserving of a right to life.

But as we have seen, there have BEEN no arguments on this thread, or any other thread on this entire boards.ie forum on the subject of abortion, that has coherently argued the position that the zygote or fetus has any attributes to usefully assign the status of "Human Being" to. Much less from you.
    It's not really linguistic trickery to point out you said what you said.

Pointing out someones words is one thing, assigning meaning to them that is not there is another. I repeat my point again and you are free to distort it once again as you see fit: Given no one has managed to argue that the blob HAS interests, pointing out existence in terms of its interests at all is one of the irrelevant red herrings you have in your repertoire.

I never once said you needed to do it. I just pointed out where you WERE doing it. Imagining emotions I never expressed, and words I never said, has been a bit of an MO from you through the conversation so far.
    Oh. Did you not say
    Not sure what this has to do with the text you are replying to in which I was pointing out your need to imagine emotions on my behalf that I never expressed.
    I thought you did.
    I am happy to point out bad arguments from both sides when I see them and explain why I think they are bad. For example the Pro Choice movement has many people who make the appeal to rape fallacy. I never use rape in the argument about abortion. A fetus either has a right to life, or it does not. I do not see the mother having been raped as an argument therefore to allow abortion. Because if a fetus DID have rights, then why would we remove the rights of entity X because of a crime committed on Y by some person Z?
    Great stuff.. I'm sure it will be interesting to see you pointing out the pro choice posters bringing "Human" into the conversation in an attempt to jump from that word to any other contextual use of the word "Human".
    Thankfully however since I see no arguments being put forward at all, much less from you, that a fetus should have rights at all, let alone specifically the right to life, the rape argument is less than relevant to me.
    It seems hardly worth mentioning if it's less than relevant to you :)
    I can see you like irrelevant post fillers on your mission to dissect the posts you reply to into as many tiny sections as possible, but really telling me what my own words were is superfluous to requirements. I am more than aware of what I said, and what I mean by what I said. I am happy to repeat: Peoples personal beliefs are of no concern to me, until such time as they are either proselytizing them or using them to influence public law or policy.
    I admit, i tend to dissect them into the discrete statements being made, so that unlike what you just did there, I don't combine three different points under discussion into one. To take them in order;
    Pointing out the original assertion under discussion as distinct from the tangent you took is neither irrelevant or a post filler, it's simply steering back on topic.
    If you're going to tell me what you think of what I think you think, I'm likely to poke fun at what you're thinking.
    If you say you never said something that you did say, I'll probably quote it back to you.
    I am telling you what my experience of the arguments being made by the anti choice side effectively boil down to.
    But you said it's what people actually did, which is not at all the same as what you think it effectively boiled down to. And, as I said, I'm not seeing anyone doing it.
    You might not see it but that does not mean it is not there. It happens all the time.
    It might be that you think it effectively boils down to it all the time, when in fact they may be different points being forward, and it's the effective boiling down that's the issue. It's difficult to tell, when no one is putting forward that argument and the only thing we have to go on is your opinion of how it effectively boils down.
    The "potential" argument of what a zygote has the potential to be or become in the future permeates the discourse on this topic and if you have not seen it, then it is only for want of looking.
    Which, on the face of it before effectively boiling it down would appear to be a different argument from bringing "Human" into the conversation in an attempt to jump from that word to any other contextual use of the word "Human" in order to manufacture arguments that are not actually there?
    And I am merely pointing out a simple linguistic fact that you have not once rebutted, but dodged which is this: If something is becoming something else, or has the potential to be that something else, then by definition it is not that something else now.
    Is that a linguistic fact? Anyway, I'm pretty sure I didn't dodge it;I've been saying that I'm not seeing anyone making the argument you're opposing. In fairness, you have now updated from X becomes Y therefore wasn't Y to including the word potential (is that as an alternative to 'becoming'?).
    If someone does want to argue that the thing will become human, therefore something, you're obviously well prepared. I just don't think anyone is arguing it.
    And, as I said before, (you see, I really wasn't dodging it) it seems fairly apparent that at some point that this particular thing which is composed of human material will leap from being a thing to being human (with whatever various adjective you choose), and deserving of some level of human rights, including the right to life. Based on that, it seems your objection can't be based on the factuality of humanness (I did at that point introduce another fuzzy concept there, apologies again) since there can be no doubt that the leap you described does at some point occur, and more on when that leap occurs.
    Except I have, but your capacity to ignore things is unrivaled on this thread. Every thread on this forum debating abortion, for example, including this very thread here and the last recent pages of it, are permeated by the "potential" argument of what a Zygote could or may become. If you choose to ignore it to feed this narrative you have invented of me arguing against things that are not there, then so be it.
    To be fair though, you've only just added 'potential' to your 'becoming' argument, so it does kind of look like you're trying to tack something on there in order to give the appearance that what you're saying is actually relevant to posts on the thread, when the unamended assertion wasn't....
    I recognize that this is a debate and discussion forum. And I am here to debate and discuss. There appears to be two kinds of people on the forum. Those that are happy to debate, discuss and substantiate their views.... like myself.... and those who wish to simply soap box an idea or definition or claim, and then duck dodge and weave and essentially cop out of any and all requests to engage on those things. Like you.
    I always thought there were heaps of different kinds of posters on the forum, but I'll admit I usually concern myself more with what's being posted than the posters, so it's certainly possible I'm wrong.
    Nothing germane about it, the distinction was a real one, and a useful one to make.
    You put two points together there, so regarding the germane one; if you feel the need to pontificate on whether you'd require people to have abortions or not, how they would react to that requirement or lack thereof seems perfectly germane to the statement you offered.
    As is the analogy between blueprints. As far as the analogy goes the answer is a clear "no" I do not see how one has more in common than the other. They are both essentially a set of instructions for building something that they, in and of themselves, are not. They are blue prints for building X but are not themselves X. And while the analogy appears to bother you you have neither discussed it, explained your issue with it, nor refuted it as of yet.
    I see. But I really wanted to get a good idea of your thinking behind the analogy. Personally, I have to say I do find issues with the analogy, which is why I was trying to get an idea of your thinking. For instance;
    A blueprint describes how to build a chair. Left as is, it will never be a chair; it will always be a blueprint. We might, I suppose, artificially amend it, reconstruct it and make it part of a chair, but if we leave it as we found it, it will always be a blueprint. If we don't amend or reconstruct it, we can use obviously use the instructions to build a chair and at the end we will still have a blueprint, and we will have a chair.
    There is no necessary relationship between the blueprint and the chair; the blueprint can describe the chair, but the chair can exist without a blueprint,and the blueprint can exist without a chair.
    Then, a zygote will change itself. Left as is, it will become a blastocyst, then an embryo, etc etc. No outside agency need artificially amend or reconstruct it; it's not instructions for someone else to build it, it changes itself. And when it does, the zygote does not remain. It is not an instruction set used by another agency to create something else, remaining behind when the work is done to something else; it changes itself.
    There is a necessary relationship between the zygote and its' future forms; none of them will exist without the zygote, and future zygotes won't exist without those forms. A human adult has in common with the human zygote the fact that they are both human; a chair and a blueprint don't have to be even the same material, without even rising to being the same species.
    So, I suppose that's a couple of issues I'd point out with the analogy, as well as a commonality that exists with a human zygote and human adult that doesn't exist with a blueprint and a chair.
    Now, I know I've avoided saying the zygote changes into a human being which kind of ruins the whole "Look, the becoming/potential argument!" thing. But you chose a functional analogy, and the functional reply is that the zygote becomes a blastocyst, and a blueprint doesn't become a chair. Whether you choose to ascribe the term human being, or person, or whatever, to any of those four is obviously a philosophical discussion, but I'm comfortable that of themselves, blueprint, zygote, chair and blastocyst are all rather more factual than philosophical concepts.
    Actually, maybe the real problem there is that you're taking two factual things (a blueprint and a chair) and trying to compare them to a factual and a philosophical thing ( a zygote and a human being). Some posters might say it's therefore a fallacious analogy, others might call it a red herring.
    Anyway, I think it doesn't really work.
    Had there been only one or two examples of this then it might be a useful bit of introspection to consider that point. However given not just some or many but the VAST majority of arguments I hear from the Anti Choice side have fit this narrative exactly, you can rest assured that introspection was performed a long time ago and the answer is "no".
    To be honest, it's actually that you think it's the vast majority of arguments, despite them not comprising anything like the vast majority of arguments put forward here, that makes me think the answer is actually more likely to be "yes".
    Of course it is possible. Which is why one explores the context at the time, engages the speaker on their arguments and what exactly they are trying to say, and then finds out if one's suspicions are well founded or not. I do not have some simplistic parsing system that if I hear the three phrases used in the one paragraph I instantly dismiss it as being the linguistic trickery I describe. I continue to engage with the speaker until such time as I evaluate if they are selling the narrative I describe. And invariably the answer is yes.
    But it doesn't seem at all odd, that despite it being possible that all three might appear cogently in a discussion, without any desire to link the three in some sort of magical trifecta, it is invariably the case on investigation that they're all attempting the same trick. Invariably. That's not odd?
    Odd given I described already where I believe they think they will end up. I am happy to repeat it again however to accommodate your ongoing failure in this regard. The point is that people on both sides of the argument agree that the right to life should be accorded human beings. So the linguistic trickery narrative that these people sell is simply designed to accord the status of "human being" to the fetus as early as possible in the fetus, in an attempt to get people who are Pro Choice to reverse their position due to the fetus being a human being deserving of a right to life.
    But if it's a trick; an obvious, linguistic trick, which can't actually convince anyone of anything, because it is purely linguistic, would none of the people who invariably use it notice that it can't work? Ever?
    But as we have seen, there have BEEN no arguments on this thread, or any other thread on this entire boards.ie forum on the subject of abortion, that has coherently argued the position that the zygote or fetus has any attributes to usefully assign the status of "Human Being" to. Much less from you.
    You mean, of course, other than the ones put forward which turned out on evaluation to simply be linguistic tricks?
    Pointing out someones words is one thing, assigning meaning to them that is not there is another. I repeat my point again and you are free to distort it once again as you see fit: Given no one has managed to argue that the blob HAS interests, pointing out existence in terms of its interests at all is one of the irrelevant red herrings you have in your repertoire.
    And yet again; no one said that it HAS interests. Claiming that a foetus (blob if you feel the need for snarl words to add cachet) has no interests really doesn't address the point that being aborted is not in it's best interests. There's nothing to distort there; they're just two different things. A foetus doesn't need to have any interests for being aborted not to be in it's best interests.

I'm sure it will be interesting to see you pointing out the pro choice posters bringing "Human" into the conversation in an attempt to jump from that word to any other contextual use of the word "Human".

If I am in discussion with such a person and such an argument is put forth, then I will be every bit as inclined to call that person on it yes. It has not happened in conversation with me thus far however from someone on the Pro Choice side.
    It seems hardly worth mentioning if it's less than relevant to you

Another of your throw away lines that dodges actually replying to what was said. You have a stock of those it seems. It was worth mentioning in the context of exampling how I am indeed more than happy to confront bad arguments from the Pro Choice side as I am the Anti choice side.
    Pointing out the original assertion under discussion............If you say you never said something that you did say, I'll probably quote it back to you.

Which adds nothing if you are misrepresenting what I say. You can quote my words at me once or a thousand times, but if you are pretending I am using them to say something I am not, then quoting them will do nothing. I am happy to repeat my point again which you still have not actually replied to: Peoples personal beliefs are of no concern to me, and if their beliefs lead them to not want abortions that is no issue for me, but at such time as they are either proselytizing them or using them to influence public law or policy about other people having abortions, that changes things.
    And, as I said, I'm not seeing anyone doing it. might be that you think it effectively boils down to it all the time, when in fact they may be different points being forward, and it's the effective boiling down that's the issue. It's difficult to tell, when no one is putting forward that argument and the only thing we have to go on is your opinion of how it effectively boils down. Which, on the face of it before effectively boiling it down would appear to be a different argument from bringing "Human" into the conversation in an attempt to jump from that word to any other contextual use of the word "Human" in order to manufacture arguments that are not actually there?

And as I said, I see it in the majority of my discussions with Anti Choice debaters and campaigners. And since my point was that I see it, not whether or not you see it, my point stands. I repeat, the vast majority of the time I have personally entered into discussion with these people, the entire argument they have put forward has been an attempt to jump from introducing the word "Human" into the conversation to declaring that therefore the Human thing (such as DNA) should have rights like the right to life. That is the only argument the majority of people I have discussed or debated with have offered. That is my experience. Nothing more.
    Is that a linguistic fact? Anyway, I'm pretty sure I didn't dodge it;I've been saying that I'm not seeing anyone making the argument you're opposing.

And that is how you are dodging it. You are not addressing the point I am making, but dodging it by simply declaring you are not seeing anyone doing it. Even though it has happened on this thread and others I have been on discussing this topic. It seems you see only what you want to see.

It is not just a linguistic fact either, but a logical one. Which is why I put it in simple and easy to understand terminology for you. If X is becoming Y or has the potential to be Y, then X is by definition NOT Y.
    it seems fairly apparent that at some point that this particular thing which is composed of human material will leap from being a thing to being human (with whatever various adjective you choose), and deserving of some level of human rights

Exactly my point. This "thing" will go from being a "thing" to being a "human deserving of rights". But this "thing" is not that now. It will become that in the future quite likely, but it is not that now. Maybe in the future it will be something deserving rights, but it is not one now. And hence I have no issue with abortion because the abortion is being performed on something I do not see as having any rights.

Or to make it simpler for you: I mediate based on what something is NOW, not what it may or may not maybe just might be in the future.
    To be fair though, you've only just added 'potential' to your 'becoming' argument

Yes, I was adding words to aid your understanding. The addition of the word does not modify the point I am making in any way however. If someone appears to be failing to understand a point I am making, I often make the same point using different words. It can be quite helpful. Unsurprising in the light of the linguistic pedantry that permeates your point that you want to distort this as me modifying my argument in some way, but that is a misrepresentation. My argument is unchanged, the language I am using to make my point is.
    if you feel the need to pontificate on whether you'd require people to have abortions or not

I did no such thing, I was making a simple distinction between where peoples beliefs concern me and where they do not. Anything else you assign to my words therefore is merely your own invention.
    I see. But I really wanted to get a good idea of your thinking behind the analogy.

Then by all means ask, rather than making false assumptions about what I really think about it.
    A blueprint describes how to build a chair. Left as is, it will never be a chair.

Left as is the DNA will never become a person either. It requires much interaction between itself and external elements present in the Human Cell around it. So the analogy stands. In both cases all you essentially have is some encoded instructions on how to build something that those instructions themselves clearly are not, that something external to those instructions uses to build that thing.
    To be honest, it's actually that you think it's the vast majority of arguments

Again, as I said above, it is the vast majority of arguments I have been presented. Again this is my experience.
    But if it's a trick; an obvious, linguistic trick, which can't actually convince anyone of anything, because it is purely linguistic........, would none of the people who invariably use it notice that it can't work? Ever?

I never said it can not convince anyone. I can only assume that the people using such poor linguistic trickery do so because they have convinced someone before using it, were themselves convinced by it, or they believe they might convince someone by it. I have no idea. I can only comment on the fact that I have experienced the use of the trick very often. I have no position to comment on, beyond speculation, their motivation for employing it.
    You mean, of course, other than the ones put forward which turned out on evaluation to simply be linguistic tricks?

No I mean what I said. Not what you just changed it to.
    And yet again; no one said that it HAS interests.

And yet again: That fact is irrelevant to the point I am making which is that the statement you made was irrelevant and a red herring.
    Claiming that a foetus (blob if you feel the need for snarl words to add cachet)

Again with the assigning emotions and motivations to me that do not actually exist in me. You simply see me using a word, and invent your own reasons on my behalf for my having chosen the word.

I do agree brevity is laudable. But I also think specificity is worthwhile. So tortuous as it may be, my answers to long points can often be long.
    And the longer they get, the less meaningfully specific they become, by and large.

If I am in discussion with such a person and such an argument is put forth, then I will be every bit as inclined to call that person on it yes. It has not happened in conversation with me thus far however from someone on the Pro Choice side.
    So, would you say you'd be inclined to call a pro life poster on it if they put it forth and you are not in a discussion with them?
    Another of your throw away lines that dodges actually replying to what was said. You have a stock of those it seems. It was worth mentioning in the context of exampling how I am indeed more than happy to confront bad arguments from the Pro Choice side as I am the Anti choice side.
    Not really; you said it was less than relevant to you, yet you felt it was worth mentioning. I don't think it's a throw away line (or even a red herring) to point out that it's odd to mention something that's less than relevant to you. It indicates that it's more relevant to you than you seem to want to give credence to.
    Which adds nothing if you are misrepresenting what I say. You can quote my words at me once or a thousand times, but if you are pretending I am using them to say something I am not, then quoting them will do nothing.
    Well.. it does point out what you actually said, which is useful when you're claiming that you didn't actually say it.
    I am happy to repeat my point again which you still have not actually replied to: Peoples personal beliefs are of no concern to me, and if their beliefs lead them to not want abortions that is no issue for me, but at such time as they are either proselytizing them or using them to influence public law or policy about other people having abortions, that changes things.
    Actually, what you said was
    it only becomes relevant when they proselytize that opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions.
    My reply (yes, I did give you one) was that
    I'm afraid you've a long way to go from acting in accordance with their own principles to "proselytize that opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions". I simply don't see how preventing people from having abortions converts them to believing they shouldn't have abortions.
    Since the idea that proselytising their opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions means converting other people to their opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions seemed to cause you some problems, I followed up my reply with
    Proselytising is converting or attempting to convert someone to your beliefs. Hence my response; I simply don't see how preventing people from having abortions converts them to believing they shouldn't have abortions.
    Since you've now decided to change your point to "proselytizing them or using them to influence public law or policy about other people having abortions", I think you know you're not repeating your point, you're altering it.
    And as I said, I see it in the majority of my discussions with Anti Choice debaters and campaigners. And since my point was that I see it, not whether or not you see it, my point stands. I repeat, the vast majority of the time I have personally entered into discussion with these people, the entire argument they have put forward has been an attempt to jump from introducing the word "Human" into the conversation to declaring that therefore the Human thing (such as DNA) should have rights like the right to life. That is the only argument the majority of people I have discussed or debated with have offered. That is my experience. Nothing more.
    I've no doubt it's what you see. Just that when all the points put forward invariably
    turn out to be the same piece of linguistic trickery, despite coming from so many different sources, I wonder if you're actually seeing what's there to be seem. Maybe you are, and I just haven't actually seen that particular piece of trickery employed on the thread, so have never noticed it. Anyway, you seem well prepared for when someone does.
    And that is how you are dodging it. You are not addressing the point I am making, but dodging it by simply declaring you are not seeing anyone doing it. Even though it has happened on this thread and others I have been on discussing this topic. It seems you see only what you want to see.
    In that case, maybe you should just quote it? I'm not addressing the point you're making because it is a point arguing against a point I haven't seen. Why rebut a rebuttal to something I haven't seen?
    It is not just a linguistic fact either, but a logical one. Which is why I put it in simple and easy to understand terminology for you. If X is becoming Y or has the potential to be Y, then X is by definition NOT Y.
    I don't think it's a linguistic fact though. It looks like a assertion of logic, but as I said, I'm still waiting for someone to make the logical assertion that if X is becoming Y or has the potential to be Y, then X is by definition Y that you're looking to rebut.
    Exactly my point. This "thing" will go from being a "thing" to being a "human deserving of rights".
    You added a bit there. I said "human" you said "human deserving of rights" . I'm just pointing it out; you've been critical of people who make a leap from "human" to "human xxx", so you might want to revise that bit to avoid having to, as you said, call yourself on it.
    But this "thing" is not that now. It will become that in the future quite likely, but it is not that now. Maybe in the future it will be something deserving rights, but it is not one now. And hence I have no issue with abortion because the abortion is being performed on something I do not see as having any rights.
    But we haven't specified the thing. The thing might be a sperm cell, or an ovum, in which case most people are likely to agree with you. When we get to zygote, probably less, maybe less again at blastocyst, at embryo a few less, at foetus the numbers are significantly shifting towards human.
    Whilst you may see some or none of those as having rights, the fact is all of them from zygote up do have rights, or at least one right.
    The abortion discussion isn't about whether they have rights, it's about whether they should have rights, when they should have rights, what should those rights be, and how far should they extend.
    Or to make it simpler for you: I mediate based on what something is NOW, not what it may or may not maybe just might be in the future.
    And living in the moment is supposed to be a great thing I'm told, but most of us tend to consider the future consequences of actions we take in the moment; we don't plant crops without considering whether they will grow to be harvested, we don't buy cars without considering if we'll be able to use them in the future, we invest in pension funds so that we will have money in the future. A very large amount of our decisions are based on not just what something is now, but what it may be in the future. Don't you think failing to consider the future is a very limiting point of view?
    Yes, I was adding words to aid your understanding. The addition of the word does not modify the point I am making in any way however. If someone appears to be failing to understand a point I am making, I often make the same point using different words. It can be quite helpful. Unsurprising in the light of the linguistic pedantry that permeates your point that you want to distort this as me modifying my argument in some way, but that is a misrepresentation. My argument is unchanged, the language I am using to make my point is.
    I don't think so, I think you added words because you knew your point wasn't working. Becoming and potential are different concepts, not easily interchangable. And whilst the potential argument has been offered on the thread, the becoming one hasn't (unless you pretend that becoming and potential are the same, which I think is what you're trying to do).
    I did no such thing, I was making a simple distinction between where peoples beliefs concern me and where they do not. Anything else you assign to my words therefore is merely your own invention.
    You specifically said:they will get no argument from me attempting to make them have one. That's not pontificating on whether you'd require people to have abortions or not? Sure soonds like it.
    Then by all means ask, rather than making false assumptions about what I really think about it.
    I did. I asked "So, when something that is clearly human DNA (lets say we tested it in a lab to be sure) and clearly alive (an excellent biologist assured us of all seven characteristics firing on all cylinders), therefore it is alive human DNA.... what? Human, Human being, Human rights, tada everyone must agree with me I have the magic of three? I still can't see where you think people who would offer this line of argument think they will end up?"
    I also asked "whether you could see that a human zygote has more in common with a human adult than a blueprint for a chair has in common with a chair." See, I was asking, not making false assumptions.
    Left as is the DNA will never become a person either. It requires much interaction between itself and external elements present in the Human Cell around it. So the analogy stands. In both cases all you essentially have is some encoded instructions on how to build something that those instructions themselves clearly are not, that something external to those instructions uses to build that thing.
    Was it not a zygote we were talking about rather than DNA? Which would be a different analogy, and as I was saying, is rather flawed. Maybe you should have offered an analogy with DNA instead of a zygote? Though I doubt many people would argue that human DNA should be afforded human rights, so maybe it wouldn't be worth the effort.
    Again, as I said above, it is the vast majority of arguments I have been presented. Again this is my experience.
    Yes, I think we've covered that fairly comprehensively.
    I never said it can not convince anyone. I can only assume that the people using such poor linguistic trickery do so because they have convinced someone before using it, were themselves convinced by it, or they believe they might convince someone by it. I have no idea. I can only comment on the fact that I have experienced the use of the trick very often. I have no position to comment on, beyond speculation, their motivation for employing it.
    Would it be fair to say that you've never seen anyone being convinced by either? As distinct from someone who appeared to have been convinced of it before you came across them, to be clear.
    No I mean what I said. Not what you just changed it to.
    Ah. So do you think that there were none put forward, or just none that were coherently argued?
    And yet again: That fact is irrelevant to the point I am making which is that the statement you made was irrelevant and a red herring.
    Irrelevant to what?
    Inocybe said "It's also in everyone's best interests for the abortion to happen as early as possible"
    I said "Arguably not likely to be in the foetus's best interests for the abortion to happen at all?"
    You said "Irrelevant given the entity in question has not been demonstrated to have "interests" in the first place"
    So we have two posts about what is in the relevant parties best interests, and one about whether a party has interests. It would seem from that sequence that the irrelevant red herring there is actually your post?
    Again with the assigning emotions and motivations to me that do not actually exist in me. You simply see me using a word, and invent your own reasons on my behalf for my having chosen the word.
    Actually, that was me saying that the word blob could be substituted for foetus in my sentence if someone wanted to use a snarl word to provide some cachet. I don't think anyone needs to assign any emotions or motivations to you when you choose to use a word like blob in the context :)

• Advertisement

So, would you say you'd be inclined to call a pro life poster on it if they put it forth and you are not in a discussion with them?

I often do.
    Not really; you said it was less than relevant to you, yet you felt it was worth mentioning.

Because mentioning it was relevant in the context, even if not to me in general. Context is everything son.
    Well.. it does point out what you actually said, which is useful when you're claiming that you didn't actually say it.

As I said, there is a difference between quoting what I said, and pretending what I said means something that it does not.
    Actually, what you said was.............Since you've now decided to change your point

Elaboration on a point is not editing it. It is moving forward with it. You can sit there pretending I have changed my point or you can, for once, actually respond to one of my points. All I am saying is there is a distinction between peoples beliefs informing their own actions privately, or influencing those of others. The former is not relevant to me. The latter is.
    you seem well prepared for when someone does.

Experience has prepared me for it indeed, given how often I have seen it. Do an experiment for yourself. Start a thread on the subject of "Abortion yay or nay" in After Hours or Humanities and link me to it sometime. We will see how quickly the trick in question pops up. I will identify it for you when I see it.
    I don't think it's a linguistic fact though. It looks like a assertion of logic

As I said, it is both. If someone says that X is becoming Y or has the potential to be Y, then they have linguistically and logically indicated to you that X is not now Y. If you think the sentence can linguistically or logically mean otherwise, then by all means explain to us how.
    You added a bit there.

Nope. I am making the exact same point, nothing added, nothing removed. Just said a different way to assist your understanding of the point.
    But we haven't specified the thing.

Not required to for me to make the point I am making. If you need to specify it to make some other point of your own, by all means have at it. But the point I was making does not require it. My point is just that whatever a "thing" is, if you say that that thing will sometime become a different thing, or has the potential to be a different thing, then you are saying that the thing is not that other thing now. Logically and linguistically.
    And living in the moment is supposed to be a great thing I'm told, but most of us tend to consider the future consequences of actions we take in the moment

Nor did I suggest you do otherwise, but again context is everything son. In the context of equivocating over whether an entity should be afforded rights or not, I do so based on what the entity is NOW, not what someone imagines it MIGHT be in the future.
    I don't think so, I think you added words because you knew your point wasn't working.

And as usual when you imagine emotions, intentions and motivations vicariously on my behalf, you are simply wrong. Of course the option to listen to me telling you what my points are.... or sit there telling me what my own points are.... is yours to make. But as long as you insist on doing the latter you will achieve nothing more than being this wrong, this often, with some consistency.
    Sure soonds like it.

See, I was asking, not making false assumptions.

Again, you can choose to listen to me explaining what my positions are, or you can choose to pretend they are what you want to invent on my behalf.
    Was it not a zygote we were talking about rather than DNA? Which would be a different analogy, and as I was saying, is rather flawed.

Saying something is flawed does not magically make it so. You have failed to establish that it is flawed at all. The point again is that when someone says that a zygote might become a human being, they are logically also saying it is not a human being now. And that it contains the instructions and capabilities to MAKE a human being, does not make it one. Any more than a blue print for a chair is itself a chair. Again context is everything son, and your penchant for overly dissecting posts means you take individual points in isolation rather than together in a flow as they were presented.
    Would it be fair to say that you've never seen anyone being convinced by either? As distinct from someone who appeared to have been convinced of it before you came across them, to be clear.

Not sure why relevant, but I have seen both since you have asked.
    Ah. So do you think that there were none put forward, or just none that were coherently argued?

As I said, I mean what I said. Read it, read it again, and then again, until such time as you understand it. Repeating myself is not required given the words are still there.
    Irrelevant to what?

I do not see it as relevant to anything on this thread at all. As you pointed out, no one has suggested the entity in question has any interests at all in the first place, so the comment was an irrelevancy.
    I don't think anyone needs to assign any emotions or motivations to you when you choose to use a word like blob in the context :)

And yet you did all the same.

I often do.
    But not pro choice posters?
    Because mentioning it was relevant in the context, even if not to me in general. Context is everything son.
    Well, I rather think it's not everything; it's certainly indicative. Like the context in which one uses the word 'son'.
    Anyhow, in the context of your own statement, it wasn't relevant since no one put if forward, so again, hardly seems worth mentioning. In the context of the overall discussion? Maybe if you're addressing the argument, but since you weren't whether or it's relevant to you seems quite... irrelevant.
    As I said, there is a difference between quoting what I said, and pretending what I said means something that it does not.
    Absolutely; but that doesn't change the fact that quoting what you said is useful when you're claiming that you didn't actually say it.
    Elaboration on a point is not editing it. It is moving forward with it. You can sit there pretending I have changed my point or you can, for once, actually respond to one of my points. All I am saying is there is a distinction between peoples beliefs informing their own actions privately, or influencing those of others. The former is not relevant to me. The latter is.
    And elaborating on a point is not the same as changing it. For instance, changing your wording from
    it only becomes relevant when they proselytize that opinion by moving to ensure other people can not have abortions.
    to
    at such time as they are either proselytizing them or using them to influence public law or policy about other people having abortions, that changes things.
    you're not elaborating on the point; you're changing the point.
    Experience has prepared me for it indeed, given how often I have seen it. Do an experiment for yourself. Start a thread on the subject of "Abortion yay or nay" in After Hours or Humanities and link me to it sometime. We will see how quickly the trick in question pops up. I will identify it for you when I see it.
    Would it not be easier to do it on this thread instead?
    As I said, it is both. If someone says that X is becoming Y or has the potential to be Y, then they have linguistically and logically indicated to you that X is not now Y. If you think the sentence can linguistically or logically mean otherwise, then by all means explain to us how.
    I don't think so; it deals neither in phonetics, phonology, syntax, morphology, lexicology or semantics so I don't think it's a linguistic fact. You're obviously putting forward the notion that it's a logical fact, but so far it stands as an assertion (well two assertions since you added your 'potential' assertion).
    Which is all well and good, but it tends to fall apart on the 'if someone says' bit. If no one says, then what's the point?
    Nope. I am making the exact same point, nothing added, nothing removed. Just said a different way to assist your understanding of the point.
    Tut Tut. I said:
    it seems fairly apparent that at some point that this particular thing which is composed of human material will leap from being a thing to being human (with whatever various adjective you choose), and deserving of some level of human rights, including the right to life.
    You said:
    This "thing" will go from being a "thing" to being a "human deserving of rights". But this "thing" is not that now. It will become that in the future quite likely, but it is not that now. Maybe in the future it will be something deserving rights, but it is not one now.
    I bolded the bit you added, just to help :) I kept my own description as human and deserving of some level of human rights, because I want to be sure that your experience with people using linguistic trickery to leap from human to human xxx doesn't lead you to think that this is what happening. So best if you don't use the same trick yourself, lest you think it was me :)
    Not required to for me to make the point I am making. If you need to specify it to make some other point of your own, by all means have at it. But the point I was making does not require it. My point is just that whatever a "thing" is, if you say that that thing will sometime become a different thing, or has the potential to be a different thing, then you are saying that the thing is not that other thing now. Logically and linguistically.
    But your point seems to hinge on "if you say", which you say lots of people have said. But nobody seems to be saying it now?
    To take the example I put forward; a zygote may become a blastocyst, a blastocyst an embryo, an embryo a foetus, a foetus a child. It is in each case a different thing. However, a zygote is human (well, a human zygote is). When it becomes a blastocyst, it will still be human (if it was human to begin with), and so on so forth, up to a corpse, which is still a human even though it's a dead one. The fact that a thing becomes another thing does not preclude it from being something else as well, and remaining that something else throughout those changes.
    Nor did I suggest you do otherwise, but again context is everything son. In the context of equivocating over whether an entity should be afforded rights or not, I do so based on what the entity is NOW, not what someone imagines it MIGHT be in the future.
    Which is certainly very straightforward of you (daddyo?), though I do think "what someone imagines it might be in the future' is a maybe not so straightforward way of minimising 'what someone could reasonably expect it to be in the future'. But I wonder; if you're affording rights to (or at least, would be affording rights to, if it were up to you) something based on what it is now, how do you do it? What rights would you afford based on what aspects of it's current existence?
    And as usual when you imagine emotions, intentions and motivations vicariously on my behalf, you are simply wrong. Of course the option to listen to me telling you what my points are.... or sit there telling me what my own points are.... is yours to make. But as long as you insist on doing the latter you will achieve nothing more than being this wrong, this often, with some consistency.
    Or I might actually be right... Not that it matters either way, all we say is you did what you did :)
    Again, you can choose to listen to me explaining what my positions are, or you can choose to pretend they are what you want to invent on my behalf.
    Well your position was "Then by all means ask, rather than making false assumptions about what I really think about it." I was just pointing out that I did ask.
    Saying something is flawed does not magically make it so. You have failed to establish that it is flawed at all.
    Well, the only part of what I said that you took issue with was where you changed from arguing 'zygote' to arguing 'DNA'. But if there are any failures in what I said I'm happy to discuss them.
    The point again is that when someone says that a zygote might become a human being, they are logically also saying it is not a human being now.
    If someone says that. Which no one is saying.
    And that it contains the instructions and capabilities to MAKE a human being, does not make it one. Any more than a blue print for a chair is itself a chair.
    And again, I'm not seeing anyone saying that. Apart from you.
    Again context is everything son, and your penchant for overly dissecting posts means you take individual points in isolation rather than together in a flow as they were presented.
    But this context dad, is that of an argument you are presenting on behalf of someone else in order that you can knock it down. I know, you've heard it from pro choice posters throughout your experience, but none of them are putting it forward right now, so if we are to judge the entity that is your argument on what it is right now, we'd really have to judge it as something of a strawman?
    Not sure why relevant, but I have seen both since you have asked.
    Because I find it amazing that anyone would be persuaded by such simple linguistic trickery, especially in your presence given your inclination to call people on such arguments.
    As I said, I mean what I said. Read it, read it again, and then again, until such time as you understand it. Repeating myself is not required given the words are still there.
    Well you said "there have BEEN no arguments on this thread, or any other thread on this entire boards.ie forum on the subject of abortion, that has coherently argued the position that the zygote or fetus has any attributes to usefully assign the status of "Human Being" to", all I'm asking is if you think there were any arguments put forward that simply weren't coherently argued, since from what you said you might think there were.
    I do not see it as relevant to anything on this thread at all. As you pointed out, no one has suggested the entity in question has any interests at all in the first place, so the comment was an irrelevancy.
    Ah there you are then; I can see that it's directly relevant to the post it answered. You just couldn't see it is all.
    And yet you did all the same.
    Nope, as I said, I offered it as an option on my own post.

But not pro choice posters?

I repeat. I often do.
    Anyhow, in the context of your own statement, it wasn't relevant

In the context of me establishing when peoples beliefs affect me, and when they do not, it was perfectly relevant thanks.
    quoting what you said is useful when you're claiming that you didn't actually say it.

As I said, I am not so much claiming I did not say something as claiming I did not mean what you misrepresent me as meaning.
    And elaborating on a point is not the same as changing it.

My point exactly. And as I said I was elaborating on the point, not changing it. Glad you are catching up. Perhaps your understanding of my point changed, which is progress, but it does not mean I was changing the point.
    I don't think so

You are not required to in order for it to be true. Again it is simple logic 101 that if you are becoming something, or have the potential to be something, then you are not that something now. Anyone saying the zygote has the potential to be a human being, or will sometime maybe become a human being, is logically and linguistically conceding it is not a Human Being now.
    Tut Tut. I said: You said:

I am perfectly aware of what was said and I am perfectly aware that the point I made still stands unassailable and without rebuttal. The point being that in _my experience_ the vast majority of people arguing against Abortion do so by an attempt to assign Humanity and Human rights through linguistic trickery.
    To take the example I put forward;

An example that does nothing at all except use the word "Human" throughout in terms of taxonomy and literally nothing more. So not really anything to do with Abortion, this thread, or any discussion anyone might be having on the morality, legality or philosophy of abortion.

Taxonomically everything you said is perfectly ok. It is simply irrelevant to the topic however.
    What rights would you afford based on what aspects of it's current existence?

None. I repeat what I have said several times now. I see no basis whatsoever of affording any rights of any kind to a zygote.
    Or I might actually be right...

You can certainly tell yourself that if it sits well with you, but the fact remains you can listen to me tell you what my points are and eventually understand them, or you can presume to inform me of what my own points mean and simply be wrong.
    If someone says that.
    I'm not seeing anyone saying that.
    argument you are presenting on behalf of someone else
    Because I find it amazing that anyone would be persuaded by

All I can offer you is my experience with such people. If you have not experienced the same then thats great for you.
    I'm asking is if you think there were any arguments put forward that simply weren't coherently argued

The same answer applies, just go and read it again and again until you get it.
    You just couldn't see it is all.

I can not see what is simply not there.
    Nope, as I said, I offered it as an option on my own post.

And it is false, as are all the attempts you have thus far made to assign emotions, motivations and meanings to what I have written that simply were not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

What's this thread about again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

drkpower wrote: »
    What's this thread about again?

Dissecting every post into its constituent parts and analysing them till they're devoid of all meaning.

Mods I really think some posts here are increasingly pointless and designed to prevent actual discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

https://twitter.com/darraghdoyle/status/609004721320374272

Yeah, Breda or others are never on RTE.

Wonder did they bother to release the list of 30+ articles they claimed were biased in favour of abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

lazygal wrote: »
    Dissecting every post into its constituent parts and analysing them till they're devoid of all meaning.

Mods I really think some posts here are increasingly pointless and designed to prevent actual discussion.

There's always the report button, or we could make a conscious attempt to ignore Absalom's posts going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭volchitsa

There's always the report button, or we could make a conscious attempt to ignore Absalom's posts going forward.

I got a warning for saying that I'd had a particular poster on ignore for quite some time, so I won't sAy who But I will Say it's sAved me a Lot Of wasted tiMe - probably done my blood pressure a power of good as well! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

volchitsa wrote: »
    I got a warning for saying that I'd had a particular poster on ignore for quite some time, so I won't sAy who But I will Say it's sAved me a Lot Of wasted tiMe - probably done my blood pressure a power of good as well! ;)

Well I'm not advocating putting Absalom on ignore (that's a matter for each individual), just advocating that we stop responding to his constant and childish attempts to derail the topic. I reckon that about 90% of his motivation for posting here in A&A is getting a rise out of those who disagree with him, we stop replying to him and he'll get bored soon enough.

• Advertisement

I repeat. I often do.
    Just not when Oldrnwisr did it, or when alaimacerc did it.
    In the context of me establishing when peoples beliefs affect me, and when they do not, it was perfectly relevant thanks.
    So... less than relevant to you, not put forward by a poster, but relevant because you need to establish when peoples beliefs affect you? Why?
    As I said, I am not so much claiming I did not say something as claiming I did not mean what you misrepresent me as meaning.
    Which is fine, though I only find quoting what you said is useful when you're claiming that you didn't actually say it. It probably wouldn't be much use if I were trying to misrepresent you, because it would show what you actually said.
    My point exactly. And as I said I was elaborating on the point, not changing it. Glad you are catching up.
    Ah... I think you got a bit ahead of yourself there. Or didn't read the rest of the post. I don't know, I wouldn't want to misrepresent you! So (in full);
    Elaborating on a point is not the same as changing it. For instance, changing your wording from
    to
    at such time as they are either proselytizing them or using them to influence public law or policy about other people having abortions, that changes things.
    means you're not elaborating on the point; you're changing the point.
    You are not required to in order for it to be true.
    Well that's true. But.. in order to be a lingusitic point it has be about linguistics, and it wasn't. So happily, what I think coincides with the facts.
    Again it is simple logic 101 that if you are becoming something, or have the potential to be something, then you are not that something now. Anyone saying the zygote has the potential to be a human being, or will sometime maybe become a human being, is logically and linguistically conceding it is not a Human Being now.
    And amazingly, there's still no one saying it... which means it is still something of a strawman.
    I am perfectly aware of what was said and I am perfectly aware that the point I made still stands unassailable and without rebuttal. The point being that in _my experience_ the vast majority of people arguing against Abortion do so by an attempt to assign Humanity and Human rights through linguistic trickery.
    You mean lingusitic trickery like switching from 'human' to 'human deserving of rights' as if the latter were the same point? Just how odd is it that you're employing that stratagem?
    An example that does nothing at all except use the word "Human" throughout in terms of taxonomy and literally nothing more. So not really anything to do with Abortion, this thread, or any discussion anyone might be having on the morality, legality or philosophy of abortion. Taxonomically everything you said is perfectly ok. It is simply irrelevant to the topic however.
    Well, you said your argument was a logical one; not a moral, legal or philosophical one. If it's logical it should apply across all species, so we can say equine or canine instead of human if you like. So.. a zygote may become a blastocyst, a blastocyst an embryo, an embryo a foetus, a foetus a foal (or puppy). It is in each case a different thing. However, a zygote is equine (well, an equine zygote is). When it becomes a blastocyst, it will still be equine (if it was equine to begin with), and so on so forth, up to a corpse, which is still an equine even though it's a dead one. The fact that a thing becomes another thing does not preclude it from being something else as well, and remaining that something else throughout those changes. That still seems quite relevant to the 'logical' assertion you're putting forward?
    None. I repeat what I have said several times now. I see no basis whatsoever of affording any rights of any kind to a zygote.
    I wasn't talking about a zygote though; I said if you're affording rights to (or at least, would be affording rights to, if it were up to you) something based on what it is now, how do you do it? What rights would you afford based on what aspects of it's current existence? I was talking about something, by which we can mean any thing; you've said that in the context of equivocating over whether an entity should be afforded rights or not, you do so based on what the entity is NOW, not what someone imagines it MIGHT be in the future., so I'm asking what entities you think should be afforded what rights in the NOW, based on what criteria.
    You can certainly tell yourself that if it sits well with you, but the fact remains you can listen to me tell you what my points are and eventually understand them, or you can presume to inform me of what my own points mean and simply be wrong.
    Alternatively I could listen to you tell me what your points are, understand them, and still be right :)
    The same answer applies, just go and read it again and again until you get it.
    I have; I'm afraid your answer admits of two possibilities. But I guess you're not telling.
    I can not see what is simply not there.
    Of course not.
    And it is false, as are all the attempts you have thus far made to assign emotions, motivations and meanings to what I have written that simply were not there.
    Not in the least; anyone who wants to take that option on my post is genuinely welcome to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement