Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Two Sheds

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    You really ought not to argue using misinformation.

Firstly, with regard to cleft palate. There were 184,571 abortions performed in the UK in 2014. Of these, 3099 were carried out under ground E of the legislation (foetal abnormality). Cleft palate was named as the principal medical condition in just 10 of these cases. None of the cleft palate related abortions were late-term. In fact, in total only 202 of the 3099 abortions performed under ground E were carried out over 24 weeks and most of these were carried out due to serious nervous system malformations.
    Secondly, cleft palate is mentioned as the principal medical condidtion in just 10 cases but is mentioned in the clinical notes of 29, meaning that cleft palate was present in a foetus which also had some other more serious malformation. You see, cleft palate on it's own can be successfully treated but it is often accompanied by much more serious defects such as Loeys-Dietz syndrome, Stickler's syndrome or Treacher Collins syndrome so it's not always a guarantee that cleft palate can be treated successfully.

This is also an important point to bear in mind when talking about Down's syndrome. Most people who raise Down's syndrome as a negative in an abortion discussion usually have little or no knowledge of the nature of Down's syndrome and just how different each case can be. The reality, you'll find is much more complicated than the black and white world you seem to occupy. Down's syndrome is hugely varied with some symptoms such as congenital heart disease only occurring in 40% of cases. While most Down's syndrome patients suffer mild to moderate intellectual disability, there are some cases where there are severe intellectual and physical disabilities. Taking a one-size fits all view of what Down's syndrome really is is wrong and unhelpful.

UK 2014 Abortion Statistics Report
    UK 2014 Abortion Statistics Datasets (Excel)
    Your argument for abortion is that there are some hard cases and others that might not be treatable?

Babies are aborted because they are Downs Syndrome - that's it. The degree of disability doesn't come into it, unless it's in the 'advice' given to expectant mothers.
    Something tells me you'd be good at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Two Sheds wrote: »
    Your argument for abortion is that there are some hard cases and others that might not be treatable?

Babies are aborted because they are Downs Syndrome - that's it. The degree of disability doesn't come into it, unless it's in the 'advice' given to expectant mothers.

Down's syndrome is not a minor disability. Irish children with Downs are given less help to overcome their disabilities than those in the UK. So lets not pretend our country cares about children with Downs, once they are born. This is a pro-forced birth country, not a pro-life one.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Lots of things, particularly a traditional approach to the family and to child rearing that the rest of the UK doesn't really have. It's not surprising that rates of abortions are lower. But the law is the result of that cultural difference, not the cause of it.

Otherwise you're claiming that Irish people, north and south, are mainly anti-abortion, with the exception of women of child bearing age, who are only prevented from having abortions right left and centre because of the law that the rest of the population imposes on them.

If that were really the case, there would be an urgent discussion to be had as to why the only people whose lives and health were potentially at risk from pregnancy were not finding any support from the rest of the population concerning their worries. Is that really what you think?
    The Welsh Scots and English don't love their children the way we do? I see.

Social mores follow the law. If you want to make something socially acceptable then make it legal. Many people can't tell the difference between law and morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I'm not arguing for anything.

You on the other hand are trying to argue against abortion and raising spurious points such as Down's syndrome and cleft palate to do so. I'm just pointing out why your argument is bollocks.

Your argument, such as it is, is built on the faulty assumption that, well Down's syndrome isn't really that bad so we shouldn't allow abortions for diagnoses of Down's syndrome on that basis. The reality, however, is that Down's syndrome can result in serious mental and physical disabilities which some parents decide not to go through with, either for their own sake or for the diminished quality of life which the child might have.

You're trying to make a fallacious argument against abortion, specifically an emotional appeal to consequences. I'm not arguing for any position other than showing your argument to be false.

Down's syndrome is not a minor disability. Irish children with Downs are given less help to overcome their disabilities than those in the UK. So lets not pretend our country cares about children with Downs, once they are born. This is a pro-forced birth country, not a pro-life one.
    Your argument is that since a child may not have a good (your version) life, we should kill her at the first opportunity.

• Advertisement

The Welsh Scots and English don't love their children the way we do? I see.
    Where did I say that? You're reduced to straw manning again.
    Social mores follow the law. If you want to make something socially acceptable then make it legal. Many people can't tell the difference between law and morality.
    In a democracy, the law tends to follow the will of the people, not the other way around.

As for people not distinguishing between the law and morality, speak for yourself. I disagree. But I'll remind you that your belief is one shared by theocracies like Iran and ISIS, and is not usually the legal basis for developed democracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Your argument is that since a child may not have a good (your version) life, we should kill her at the first opportunity.

Once more, though I know you won't listen:

Nobody is talking about killing children.

No it isn't, and rather than engage with you further, I'm reporting this.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    I'm not arguing for anything.

You on the other hand are trying to argue against abortion and raising spurious points such as Down's syndrome and cleft palate to do so. I'm just pointing out why you're argument is bollocks.

Your argument, such as it is, is built on the faulty assumption that, well Down's syndrome isn't really that bad so we shouldn't allow abortions for diagnoses of Down's syndrome on that basis. The reality, however, is that Down's syndrome can result in serious mental and physical disabilities which some parents decide not to go through with, either for their own sake or for the diminished quality of life which the child might have.

You're trying to make a fallacious argument against abortion, specifically an emotional appeal to consequences. I'm not arguing for any position other than showing your argument to be false.
    I've stated that children are aborted because of DS. You're agreeing with me and offering justification for the disposal of the disabled.

But you'll have difficulty in convincing me that caring for somebody involves killing them.

No it isn't, and rather than engage with you further, I'm reporting this.
    You could always try explaining yourself.
    But if you're out of arguments ....

• Advertisement

Kev W wrote: »
    Once more, though I know you won't listen:

Nobody is talking about killing children.
    An unborn is a child. Abortion is the killing of the unborn.

What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

What am I missing?

That an unborn is not a child.

Kev W wrote: »
    That an unborn is not a child.
    Ok, let's assume that much is true.

I want you to explain to me, when and how an unborn becomes a child. What is the process that transforms this little thing into a child by it being moved from the womb to the fresh air?

Believe me, I'm all ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What am I missing?

The unborn is a child in the same way dough is a loaf of bread. In other words it has potential but is nowhere near being the finished product.

What - no link? No evidence? No peer-reviewed science?

I think we can all agree that's an F minus.

eviltwin wrote: »
    The unborn is a child in the same way dough is a loaf of bread. In other words it has potential but is nowhere near being the finished product.
    Is that brown bread or pitta bread? I like bread.

The Christianity forum is thataway -->

• Advertisement

Good for you. Any chance you could do it in the correct forum?
    You may have noticed 'Atheism & Agnosticism' on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

What - no link? No evidence? No peer-reviewed science?

I think we can all agree that's an F minus.

That is hilarious coming from someone who has continuously ignored information that doesn't support their point of view!

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

There are also approximately 60 cases per year where the child is aborted alive and then left to die of hypothermia and shock.

What am I missing?
    :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Delirium wrote: »
    :confused:
    I'm sure that even you can figure that one out. :)

If you can't explain your own contradictory waffle then just admit it, don't do the dance. Don't pretend that it makes so much sense that only an idiot can't see it. Nobody buys it.

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Afraid not, hence the confused image. Care to explain how both statements can be true?

If you can read this, you're too close!

robdonn wrote: »
    That is hilarious coming from someone who has continuously ignored information that doesn't support their point of view!
    You own posts consist almost entirely of attempting (badly) to pick holes in the posts of others.

But you appear very reluctant to post any justification for your support for abortion.
    That's not very persuasive.

robdonn wrote: »
    If you can't explain your own contradictory waffle then just admit it, don't do the dance. Don't pretend that it makes so much sense that only an idiot can't see it. Nobody buys it.
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? It seems so.

Abortion is designed and intended to kill, and the job is done ... one way or another.

You support abortion but you're not posting in support of abortion practices. Funny that ...

• Advertisement

You own posts consist almost entirely of attempting (badly) to pick holes in the posts of others.

But you appear very reluctant to post any justification for your support for abortion.
    That's not very persuasive.

Stop leaving such big holes in your posts then!

And my personal views on the topic are irrelevant, you are trying to argue a point using false, misleading or misunderstood information. Every time that someone points that out you either dodge, avoid or just get really snarky.

I am not trying to protect or defend abortion, I am not putting forward an argument for abortion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement