Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

what empirical evidence can we offer to show that a pro-choice position is the correct one?

Maybe the fact that some women have always chosen to end pregnancies rather than remain pregnant? There's never been a time when women haven't sought abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Two Sheds

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If "faith" is defined as "taking to be true something which is not shown by evidence to be true" - and that definition, or some variation of it, is commonly offered on this board - then the claim that a woman has a right to choose is a matter of faith. How, after all, can we possibly show by evidence that a woman has a right to choose? All claims about rights are faith-based.
    Also, most human rights have a basis in a broad consensus.
    The 'right' to choose to kill a child has no such basis. It is a term that was put out there and has been adopted into common language.

But, having no basis, it's a belief, an article of faith, with the likes of Amnesty International as its church and Colm O'Gorman as one of its High Priests (he must get a kick out of leading a coterie of believers).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

lazygal wrote: »
    Maybe the fact that some women have always chosen to end pregnancies rather than remain pregnant? There's never been a time when women haven't sought abortion.
    There's never been a time when people haven't committed murder. Or when they haven't donated to charity.

All this proves is that these things happen. It doesn't prove that they are right or wrong, or that they should or should not happen.

There's never been a time when people haven't committed murder. Or when they haven't donated to charity.

All this proves is that these things happen. It doesn't prove that they are right or wrong, or that they should or should not happen.

Again, how is allowing women the choice to continue to remain pregnant or have an abortion a faith-based position?

Women have almost always been oppressed, in many societies.
    Telling mothers it's ok to kill their child, while providing the means to do so (and charging them), is a continuation of that oppression.

Some of us want to change that. We call it 'progress'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Two Sheds wrote: »
    Women have always been oppressed.
    Telling mothers it's ok to kill their child, while providing the means to do so (and charging them), is a continuation of that oppression.

It's not a child. Otherwise the morning after pill will need to be stopped.

Women have always been oppressed.

If the services are provided at no cost to the woman, would that reduce some of the oppression?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Again, how is allowing women the choice to continue to remain pregnant or have an abortion a faith-based position?
    I didn't say it was. I said that asserting that they have a right to choose abortion is a faith based position. It's a faith-based position because there is no evidence for the existence or reality of that right.

It's a faith-based position in exactly the way that asserting that the foetus has a right to life is a faith based position. In both cases we asserting the existence or reality of something - a moral right - for whose existence or reality there is no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Women have almost always been oppressed, in many societies.

The mental gymnastics involved in convincing yourself that forcing women to stay pregnant against their will is progressive is genuinely impressive.

Daith wrote: »
    Breda O'Brien isn't a fan of the MAP either. And she nearly wept on the radio thinking of all the embryos whose right to life will never be vindicated because they weren't needed for IVF. At least she's consistent, worrying about frozen embryos as well as those in utero.

• Advertisement

I didn't say it was. I said that asserting that they have a right to choose abortion is a faith based position. It's a faith-based position because there is no evidence for the existence or reality of that right.

However the reason why the likes of Breda O'Brien won't mention her faith and is because faith isn't the issue. It's because she doesn't want her points mistook for religious dogma which they are.

Breda O'Brien isn't a fan of the MAP either.

Which is consistent. Once you introduce a time limit even 1 day then what makes 2 days, three days, a week a month wrong?

Which is consistent. Once you introduce a time limit even 1 day then what makes 2 days, three days, a week a month wrong?
    Yes, I (grudgingly) respect her more for opposing its use and for worrying about frozen embryos than picking and choosing which bits of Catholic dogma don't matter any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Also, most human rights have a basis in a broad consensus.
    The 'right' to choose to kill a child has no such basis. It is a term that was put out there and has been adopted into common language.

But, having no basis, it's a belief, an article of faith, with the likes of Amnesty International as its church and Colm O'Gorman as one of its High Priests (he must get a kick out of leading a coterie of believers).

The basis of the right to choose is not based on your fictitious right to kill a child, it is based on the right of bodily autonomy or integrity. This is a recognised right in law, both internationally and in Ireland.
    Bodily integrity is the inviolability of the physical body and emphasizes the importance of personal autonomy and the self-determination of human beings over their own bodies. It considers the violation of bodily integrity as an unethical infringement, intrusive, and possibly criminal.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 34 veliktom

I would argue that the right to bodily integrity trumps the right to life in practice, as even corpses have a right to bodily integrity, and no-one is forced to use their body to protect the life of another in Ireland except for pregnant women.

Another pro-choice belief, contradicted by broad consensus and by science.

Then we are killing children with the morning after pill?

What broad consenus? What science?

Do you also oppose IVF and the morning after pill?

veliktom wrote: »
    I would argue that the right to bodily integrity trumps the right to life in practice, as even corpses have a right to bodily integrity, and no-one is forced to use their body to protect the life of another in Ireland except for pregnant women.
    Not killing an unborn child is not the same as forcing anybody to do anything.

What would you call compelling a woman to remain pregnant who doesn't wish to?

Should I be compelled to have my bodily integrity violated if my born children need an organ or blood to ensure their right to life is vindicated and protected?

• Advertisement

Actually it is the exact same. Telling somebody that they MUST continue with a pregnancy is, by definition, denying bodily integrity.

If somebody needed an organ transplant to live and you were, for some reason, the only person in the world that could donate to them and save their life (and you would survive too), you can NOT be forced to do so, even it means the other person will die.

robdonn wrote: »
    Actually it is the exact same. Telling somebody that they MUST continue with a pregnancy is, by definition, denying bodily integrity.

If somebody needed an organ transplant to live and you were, for some reason, the only person in the world that could donate to them and save their life (and you would survive too), you can NOT be forced to do so, even it means the other person will die.
    Nonsense!

The entire abortion debate centres on the state's facilitation and co-operation in violating the bodily integrity of a woman and of her unborn, albeit with the consent of two of the three parties involved.

You cannot argue that because I don't give you money I am therefore responsible for your poverty.

Nonsense!

Nonsense!

The entire abortion debate centres on the state's facilitation and co-operation in violating the bodily integrity of a woman and of her unborn, albeit with the consent of two of the three parties involved.

You cannot argue that because I don't give you money I am therefore responsible for your poverty.

Nonsense!

Just like the morning after pill? At what point is the child consulted?

This seems to be a strange gap in your argument and something you seem keen to avoid answering.

Nonsense!

Nonsense!

Are frozen embryos troubling you at all? Or the morning after pill?

The entire abortion debate centres on whether a woman should have the choice to decide to no longer remain pregnant.

Also, if I don't donate a kidney to someone who'll die otherwise, am I killing that person? If I don't allow my uterus to be used to gestate a foetus, am I killing that foetus?

What would you call compelling a woman to remain pregnant who doesn't wish to?

Should I be compelled to have my bodily integrity violated if my born children need an organ or blood to ensure their right to life is vindicated and protected?
    You choose to ignore the unborn child. How convenient for you!

Another pro-choice article of faith - 'if you can't see her, she doesn't exist'.

You choose to ignore the unborn child. How convenient for you!

Another pro-choice article of faith - 'if you can't see her, she doesn't exist'.

How could I ignore the unborn child when I've had two of them inside me in the past four years?
    Is the morning after pill acceptable? What about frozen embroys that'll never be implanted, are they unborn children? Or is it a case of 'if you can't see them, they don't exist'?

Are frozen embryos troubling you at all? Or the morning after pill?

The entire abortion debate centres on whether a woman should have the choice to decide to no longer remain pregnant.
    When achieving an end involves butchering a child, then we should stop and consider what we're really doing. Don't you think so?

When achieving an end involves butchering a child, then we should stop and consider what we're really doing. Don't you think so?

If don't donate a kidney to someone who needs it, am I butchering that person? Does the morning after pill butcher a child? Or the abortion pill taken before 12 weeks? Or are you exclusively referring to the tiny percentage of later term abortions, mainly done for serious medical reasons? Was Miss Y's baby butchered when she was granted a termination under the POLDP Act?

How could I ignore the unborn child when I've had two of them inside me in the past four years?
    Is the morning after pill acceptable? What about frozen embroys that'll never be implanted, are they unborn children? Or is it a case of 'if you can't see them, they don't exist'?
    The science is very clear. Sorry if it contradicts your beliefs.

• Advertisement

Nonsense!

And at no point has anyone given the right of bodily integrity to the unborn, but the woman has. The unborn, by Irish law, has been given the right to life but nothing else, and as with my example nobody can be forced to give up their bodily integrity even if it results in the death of another.

Nonsense!

Exactly, and by that reasoning you cannot argue that not giving someone the use of their body makes them responsible for another's life. If you do not give me money you are not held responsible for my poverty. If you do not donate an organ to me you are not responsible for my death. If a woman does not allow the use of her body to continue a pregnancy she is not responsible for the foetus that is terminated as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement