Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    Was it abortion as a lifestyle choice? If so, she is a murderer.

It is up to me to defend the human life inside that woman, because clearly you and her haven't the moral compass to do so.

Regarding when an unborn baby becomes equal to a "born" baby, that it a tricky question. A foetus is definitely equal. .

We gathered you thought that. Do please explain how you justify that stance/belief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

kylith wrote: »
    So women should be forced to have children that they don't want and can't afford. Why? Because they shouldn't be having sex unless specifically to have babies?

And women who have been raped, while they may be in the minority, they should be forced to have their rapists child if they can't prove to your satisfaction that they were raped?

And can you answer the questions in my earlier post please:

Would there be any situation in which you would deem a woman not wishing to carry a pregnancy to term not murder?
    Do you think that a woman who wishes to have an abortion, but has not had one yet, should be incarcerated?
    Should the right of Irish women to receive information on procuring a termination abroad be revoked?
    Should the right of Irish women to travel for the purpose of securing a termination be revoked?
    Should women returning to Ireland from procuring a termination abroad be incarcerated?

We can't control what goes on outside of Ireland.

However, we can prevent babies from being murdered in our country.

I am against abortion as a form of contraception or as a lifestyle choice. There are so many childless couples crying out for children to adopt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

A "normal" woman with a "normal" pregnancy who hasn't been raped and isn't dying should not be allowed to have an abortion. Such an abortion is morally wrong and is murder.

Well just look at all these immoral countries which have legalised murder:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2013/05/abortion_and_birth_control_a_global_map.html

Obviously an extreme minority at work there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Regarding when an unborn baby becomes equal to a "born" baby, that it a tricky question. A foetus is definitely equal. An embryo - I'm not sure. Somewhere between the two I'd say.

So would it be acceptable to abort an embryo?

Please point out the extreme scenarios you've apparently been presented with on this thread.

Oh, and, complications in pregnancy are extremely common, actually. It's certainly not the case that "almost all" pregnancies are "normal".

What about this scenario, which I posed to you in post #1416:

What would you say to this?

I'd say that she should be forced to carry the child to term.

If I was faced with the prospect of serious injury or killing you, a complete stranger, I'd go for the injury. I'd like to think that when it comes to the baby inside a woman, she'd happily "take one for the team".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Nodin wrote: »
    Soz, not you, the "This fella is saying that if you can treat an ectopic pregnancy yet safely preserve the fallopian tube, then that constitutes a morally wrong action. But if you take the damaged fallopian tube out, that's acceptable? So, with the certainty that the embryo is going to die anyway, doing the least amount of damage to a woman, offering her the most progressive treatment and preserving her fertility is morally incorrect?" thing.
    My understanding (or cynical interpretation?) of it is that if a doctor needs to remove the ectopic pregnancy in order to save the woman's life, s/he may deliberately and unnecessarily remove a fallopian tube that could have been saved, in order to invoke the justification that it was the tube that was killing the woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Was it abortion as a lifestyle choice? If so, she is a murderer.

It is up to me to defend the human life inside that woman, because clearly you and her haven't the moral compass to do so.

Regarding when an unborn baby becomes equal to a "born" baby, that it a tricky question. A foetus is definitely equal. An embryo - I'm not sure. Somewhere between the two I'd say.

All choices are done to alter the quality of life. For the two of us, in our own separate lives - it would not have been useful to either of us to go through with any pregnancy.

Define a moral compass.

Now you've judged my friend to be a murderer, what should her punishment be?

And remember, there was no human life in her - just a clump of cells.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    So would it be acceptable to abort an embryo?

I don't know. I think that an informed discussion (involving scientists etc) should be had around when precisely a pregnancy becomes a life. There is some point between conception and birth - It needs to be decided upon.

doctoremma wrote: »
    My understanding (or cynical interpretation?) of it is that if a doctor needs to remove the ectopic pregnancy in order to save the woman's life, s/he may deliberately and unnecessarily remove a fallopian tube that could have been saved, in order to invoke the justification that it was the tube that was killing the woman.

.....these people are fucking weird.....Even when I know this already, they surprise me with their weirdness.

We can't control what goes on outside of Ireland.

However, we can prevent babies from being murdered in our country.

I am against abortion as a form of contraception or as a lifestyle choice. There are so many childless couples crying out for children to adopt.

Define "lifestyle choice".

• Advertisement

I don't know. I think that an informed discussion (involving scientists etc) should be had around when precisely a pregnancy becomes a life. There is some point between conception and birth - It needs to be decided upon.

You've decided on it, evidently. Do please explain your rationale.

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If I was faced with the prospect of serious injury or killing you, a complete stranger, I'd go for the injury. I'd like to think that when it comes to the baby inside a woman, she'd happily "take one for the team".

Actually it's more like the woman is faced with going through with something that may possibly injure or kill her. She would rather not gamble with either, and you suggest she "take one for the team"?

If you can read this, you're too close!

Life begins at birth.

koth wrote: »
    Actually it's more like the woman is faced with going through with something that may possibly injure or kill her. She would rather not gamble with either and you suggest she "take one for the team"?

The joys of old school patriarchy, eh?

old hippy wrote: »
    All choices are done to alter the quality of life. For the two of us, in our own separate lives - it would not have been useful to either of us to go through with any pregnancy.

Define a moral compass.

Now you've judged my friend to be a murderer, what should her punishment be?

And remember, there was no human life in her - just a clump of cells.

A classic lifestyle abortion in other words.

The worst kind.

The baby could have been adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

There are so many childless couples crying out for children to adopt.

From this, and your other posts, I'm gathering that a woman who falls pregnant, actually has a duty to remain pregnant - no matter what state of physical or mental fitness she may be in, no matter what her financial circumstances are, no matter what state her relationship may be in (if she is in a relationship), no matter if she's not equipped to become a mother, even if she felt able to give her body up for 9 months to bring the pregnancy to term. If she finds herself pregnant, no matter how unwanted or unplanned the pregnancy is, she has to immediately suspend whatever else is going on in her life, give up her bodily autonomy in order to give birth to a child she can not or will not rear.

Would that be an accurate summary of your position?

The joys of old school patriarchy, eh?
    yeah. "shut up, luv. It's only 9 months" :rolleyes:

Oh for f*ck sake. FORCED????? How the hell does that seem even remotely acceptable to you??

Oh for f*ck sake. FORCED????? How the hell does that seem even remotely acceptable to you??

Not allowed to murder the child because it has a right to life that supercedes the woman's right to bodily integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

The worst kind.

Why do you think that imprisonment is a good punishment for murderers?

• Advertisement

The worst kind.

There was no baby. There was a clump of cells.

And who are you to decide what other people do in such situations?

Seriously.

Now, once again - you've decided she's a murderer, without moral compass. What punishment should she receive?

Interestingly, you haven't called me a murderer? Why is that? Is it that you agree with me that men can't dictate what women should do with their bodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I didn't realise the concept of broodmares was alive and ticking. :o

Not allowed to murder the child because it has a right to life that supercedes the woman's right to bodily integrity.

I see. So women are mere vessels, baby producing automatums to keep your narrow views placated?

The worst kind.

Well that's fine, 'cos pregnancy is such an easy-breezy experience, topped off by the delight that is labour and childbirth.

Only those well and truly equipped and ready to go through it, should go through it.

There was no baby. There was a clump of cells.

And who are you to decide what other people do in such situations?

Seriously.

Now, once again - you've decided she's a murderer, without moral compass. What punishment should she receive?

Interestingly, you haven't called me a murderer? Why is that? Is it that you agree with me that men can't dictate what women should do with their bodies?

<SNIP>

Jernal wrote: »
    I didn't realise the concept of broodmares was alive and ticking. :o

Well, at least he's brought us up to date on that.

Why do you think that imprisonment is a good punishment for murderers?

That is a separate issue and a discussion for another day.

<SNIP>

a lot of assumptions there.

<SNIP>.

I've just reported that post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

What do you think of the views in this video

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement