Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

When a half-decent abortion law finally does come to pass in this country, it's probably going to be purely because the UN or EU have said "FFS Ireland get your sh*t together or we'll get it together FOR you."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sarky wrote: »
    When a half-decent abortion law finally does come to pass in this country, it's probably going to be purely because the UN or EU have said "FFS Ireland get your sh*t together or we'll get it together FOR you."

Name any law pertaining to personal rights (dropping marriage bar, equal status act, decriminalizing homosexuality) that we haven't been subject to outside pressure to introduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lazygal wrote: »
    Name any law pertaining to personal rights (dropping marriage bar, equal status act, decriminalizing homosexuality) that we haven't been subject to outside pressure to introduce.

Blasphemy.

Or did you mean pro- personal rights laws only?

:pac:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Blasphemy.

Or did you mean pro- personal rights laws only?

:pac:

Ah but that law is designed to be super special and never result in any convictions, ever. Dermot said so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Was the smoking ban outside pressure too?

Either way, yeah, Ireland really has had to be dragged nearly every step of the way. :(

• Advertisement

Ah but that law is designed to be super special and never result in any convictions, ever. Dermot said so.

Like White Collar Crime laws so?

Like White Collar Crime laws so?

Ah those lads just got carried away. Sure wasn't Sean Quinn only looking out for his community when he moved all that money to rest in other accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

aloyisious wrote: »
    This might force another "look" at women's rights in regard to pregnancy.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fatal-abnormality-case-puts-abortion-back-in-spotlight-240972.html?

Is it terrible that I LOLd at the suggestion that I might want to Pin the photo of James Reilly...

"Yeah, that'd look really nice amongst my "dream wardrobe" pins and my "amazing places" pins."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

aloyisious wrote: »
    This might force another "look" at women's rights in regard to pregnancy.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fatal-abnormality-case-puts-abortion-back-in-spotlight-240972.html?

.....it's unlikely. It'll take some fuck awful case being dragged through Europe for a few years and resisted every step of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yep. Rather than abolish a law, you introduce a new law and make it allegedly useless. While this was a change from the Michael McDowell school of introducing new laws that were supposed to do something but were essentially useless one can't say it marked a step forward.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    For Christ's sake people! The lab mice created us as a means of experimentation.

They must be bitterly disappointed at our lack of ability to learn from our experiences.

Jernal is awesome and infallible. I did not just quote him posting a post in the wrong thread!

Or did I........

NO! I did not.

I did you know.

I'm usually not this incisive about stuff. I'm fairly sure I didn't.

However on occasion I am scalpel like in my incisiveness and this is one of those times.

He was sure he had said indecisive. So sure. . . However, it's clear there would be a doubt that Jernal made such an error of posting, thankfully there is primary source evidence of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Alderwould

Sarky wrote: »

So you await a time when the UN/EU 'force' us to kill unborn babies?

Don't hold your breath :D

Alderwould wrote: »

Here we go again.

Did that not get introduced after Maastricht, Lisbon and/or Nice, along with conscription?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Did that not get introduced after Maastricht, Lisbon and/or Nice, along with conscription?

Nah, that was the decriminalisation of baby eating atheism that time.

Obliq wrote: »
    Nah, that was the decriminalisation of baby eating atheism that time.

I think it is outrageous that smoking babies is still clamped down on by the man, man. Little dudes come already in the skins and everyfink which is like totally a sign!

I think it is outrageous that smoking babies is still clamped down on by the man, man. Little dudes come already in the skins and everyfink which is like totally a sign!

It's like, messing wif our RIGHTS man. All you got to do is light em up. Sure t'fcuck God meant it that way, right?

No, you're mixing that up with straightening bananas :)

Intentionally killing unborn babies is still a heinous crime in this country, punishable by a maximum 14yr sentence. Thankfully.

Intentionally killing unborn babies is still a heinous crime in this country, punishable by a maximum 14yr sentence. Thankfully.

Ah, I see. Thankfully termination of pregnancy to save lives is OK though. I understood its a foetus though.

Glad to see you're getting into the spirit of things! Now, answer me this riddle (unless you think this is some kind of devilish trick of course) - If we become pregnant with a baby, how is it we have to wait 9 months for a baby? In some cases slightly less, I know...

Surely, if we had full babies inside us from day one, we wouldn't have this issue of when an embryo/foetus becomes a baby, and we wouldn't have abortion. It'd just be POP, there ya go. Baby. Or is the growing foetus NOT a complete baby? Confused by your terminology :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So much for "Love them both." :rolleyes:

Love them both. Terms and conditions apply. Love subject to certain restrictions.

I just want to know how it is that if I'd an abortion at 9 weeks, I'd be killing a baby? Or are we talking about anencephaly maybe? That would make sense, seeing as a 9 week embryo has no cognitive functions whatsoever....

Ah, I see. Thankfully termination of pregnancy to save lives is OK though.

And rightly so too.

Love them both. Terms and conditions apply. Love subject to certain restrictions.

If you can't do the time (14 years), don't do the crime.

If one can't avoid speaking in cliches....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not allowing an abortion in cases where the fetus has zero chance of ever living separate from the women, thus forcing the women to carry it to term.

Yep seems great way of loving the mother, even when the fetus couldn't possibly feel a thing as it has no brain stem.

Should that still be a 14 year sentence still apply to those women?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not allowing an abortion in cases where the fetus has zero chance of ever living separate from the women, thus forcing the women to carry it to term.

Yep seems great way of loving the mother, even when the fetus couldn't possibly feel a thing as it has no brain stem.

Should that still be a 14 year sentence still apply to those women?

14 years is the maximum sentence so mitigating circumstances are always considered.

However intentionally taking unborn life is a crime in this jurisdiction, in all circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

It remains a person's choice so your definition of forcing is fairly off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

14 years is the maximum sentence so mitigating circumstances are always considered.

However intentionally taking unborn life is a crime in this jurisdiction, in all circumstances.
    What sentence should apply to a woman that ends a pregnancy where the foetus can never survive?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement