Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Meanwhile, the acrimony continues, with aggrieved Blue Shirts taking a few pot shots at Peter "Rosary Beads" Mathews
    FG members 'go through Mathews for a short-cut'

As the row developed, Mr Mathews made reference to Mr Shatter voting against the party position on hare coursing 20 years ago, without being punished by losing the Fine Gael whip.

"He said he was dealing with 'matters of life and death'. He also said: 'What
    about your minister there, it was all well and good for him and the hares,
    wasn't it Alan?'," a member at the meeting said.

Sitting up the front of the room, Mr Shatter didn't rise to the bait and was
    said to have merely responded: "Peter, we're above this. I'm not going to be engaging in petty name-calling." "Shatter isn't particularly liked, but he has respect," a party member said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There are those who hold the same opinions as Peter Mathews who are not pleased that Alan Shatter as minister for Justice and Equality has openly said that the legislation which was passed does not go far enough to safe guard the health of women and that as long as the 8th amendment is in place women once they become pregnant become second class citizens.

Morag wrote: »
    There are those who hold the same opinions as Peter Mathews who are not pleased that Alan Shatter as minister for Justice and Equality has openly said that the legislation which was passed does not go far enough to safe guard the health of women and that as long as the 8th amendment is in place women once they become pregnant become second class citizens.

....I suspect that somebody with a concealed recorder could gather some rather choice remarks about Mr Shatter amongst the pro-life crowd as regards his ethnicity. I'd also put a few bob that "protestant" and "Irish Times" would come up more than once. However it will probably fall to the foreign media to do such an investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Nodin wrote: »
    ....I suspect that somebody with a concealed recorder could gather some rather choice remarks about Mr Shatter amongst the pro-life crowd as regards his ethnicity. I'd also put a few bob that "protestant" and "Irish Times" would come up more than once. However it will probably fall to the foreign media to do such an investigation.

If the anti-abortion crowd were clever they'd be saying schande vor de goyim. But then again the only working brain in the likes of Jugend Defence is currently being used to the full extent by their pet goldfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Oh dear, seems we lost an *ahem* contributor to this thread :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh dear, seems we lost an *ahem* contributor to this thread :pac:

Who performed the post-natal self abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jernal wrote: »

Tsk, tsk. It's always a shame to see anti-abortionists resort to abortion. Pity then that it seems to be rather common.

;)

It's with great pleasure I say "Up Yours Father Kevin Doran"...
    The Mater Hospital has confirmed it will comply with the law as provided for
    in the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act.

Last month, a member of its board said it could not comply with the act.
    Fr Kevin Doran had said the Catholic voluntary hospital cannot carry out
    abortions because they go against its ethos.
    However, in a statement today, the hospital said its "priority is to be at
    the frontier of compassion, concern and clinical care for all our patients."
    "Having regard to that duty the Hospital will comply with the law as provided for in the act."

Under the act, individual medical practitioners who have a conscientious
    objection to abortion cannot be forced to carry out a termination. However,
    institutions enjoy no such rights.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0925/476402-mater-hospital/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Plus conscientious objectors will have to ensure the patient concerned is referred on to another medical practitioner for treatment.

• Advertisement

As long as there are guidelines for that to happen in a timely fashion esp in a critical situation.

The IFI is showing a film "After Tiller" about the late-term abortion-providing doctor - Dr Tiller - who was murdered by a person opposed to abortions in the US some years ago. There will (reportedly) be an appearance by Shellet Sella, another late-term abortion-provider. Sella has been accused by a former nurse, Tina Davis, of killing a baby with a scissors during an abortion operation. This might make for an interesting presentation.

Morag wrote: »
    As long as there are guidelines for that to happen in a timely fashion esp in a critical situation.

To be honest, the only "guideline" I'd see ensuring a tardy doctor does not waste time ensuring another doctor take's over care of such a patient might be a long prison term awarded to some prior "conscientious Objector" who delayed handover to prevent a legal abortion occurring. Guidelines aren't really worth the paper they are written-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well-known arsehole David Quinn is unhappy about the Mater complying with law. What a bunch of bullies! he says.

Not related to abortion, but I particularly liked where he went on to grumble about the recommendations of the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism in Primary Schools. Says he about making the schools more secular: "Does this mean the 'Our Father' or the 'Hail Mary' would be deemed insufficiently inclusive and need to be replaced by generic prayers?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

<Any variable of seeing a person next tuesday isn't appropriate.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

<this post won't make sense until the one above stops getting edited :(>

Sarky wrote: »
    Well-known arsehole David Quinn is unhappy about the Mater complying with law. What a bunch of bullies! he says.

Not related to abortion, but I particularly liked where he went on to grumble about the recommendations of the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism in Primary Schools. Says he about making the schools more secular: "Does this mean the 'Our Father' or the 'Hail Mary' would be deemed insufficiently inclusive and need to be replaced by generic prayers?"

Does this mean there'll be more "moving Statues" and non-displaying of religious memorabilia (excepting worry-beads of course)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'd love to know what "generic prayers" are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lazygal wrote: »
    I'd love to know what "generic prayers" are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

aloyisious wrote: »
    Plus conscientious objectors will have to ensure the patient concerned is referred on to another medical practitioner for treatment.

It's galling that there should even be such a thing as a 'conscientous objector' when it comes to medical treatment. Call me hardline but I think a doctor who refuses to carry out a legal, ethical medical procedure on nothing other than religious grounds is of very questionable fitness to practise. But as usual religious belief is given this wholly undeserved respect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Going to try and see After Tiller in the IFI. A little apprehensive in case the screening is hijacked or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did anybody else see it?

I heard someone describe it as 'hideous' as I was leaving, so I suspect it'll serve as confirmation bias no matter where you side on this debate. It's a good film, albeit rather one sided since the anti-abortion people are often shown as violent or extremists, though others are peaceful. I thought its main strength was that it was non-judgemental towards the women involved. Some desperately sad situations, really.

I've seen it and I got the chance to talk to Dr Sella Friday evening at a Speak out event the Abortion Rights Campgain had organized. She is a very interesting person, it was her first ever visit to Ireland and we talked about the way care and access in the USA very much depends if you can travel and have the money much like for Irish women and while the women she see's haven't have to leave the country they live in but it can be just as difficult.

She was interviewed by Pat Kenny as one of 4 drs who do late term abortions in the whole of the USA.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/The_Pat_Kenny_Show/The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Highlights/34085/2/Dr._Shelley_Sella_-_late_term_abortions

Thanks, will have a listen.

What did you think of the film?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

I've been keeping track of this thread but deliberately not contributing.

The thread's title is misleading. It is not an "Abortion Discussion Thread" at all. It's a place for people who are pro abortion to promote and endorse abortion and attack anyone who dares to present an opposing argument.

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    I've been keeping track of this thread but deliberately not contributing.

The thread's title is misleading. It is not an "Abortion Discussion Thread" at all. It's a place for people who are pro abortion to promote and endorse abortion and attack anyone who dares to present an opposing argument.

Well go on then and give us your argument in favour of enforced pregnancy regardless of a woman's wishes.

Well go on then and give us your argument in favour of enforced pregnancy regardless of a woman's wishes.

I've made my position clear.

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    I've made my position clear.

No, you haven't. Tell me why I should be forced to gestate and birth a foetus regardless of my wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

No, you haven't. Tell me why I should be forced to gestate and birth a foetus regardless of my wishes.

....And me. Tell me why too.

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    ....And me. Tell me why too.

Because your right to choose what happens to your own body doesn't supercede your unborn child's right to life.

Medical procedures (such as the one poor Savita should have received) are fine but "lifestyle abortions" (i.e. the use of abortion as a retrospective contraceptive) are a disgrace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement