Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

mbiking123 wrote: »
    contraception and abortion also have risks, cannot be considered safe. They have their risks and side effects both physical and mental

Then it is up to the person considering this things to make their own decision as to whether they wish to avail of them. It's called Choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Science says a woman does not have to be pregnant if she doesn't wish to be.

As for religion - you do with your body what your religion says is right but don't you dare tell me that I have follow the dictates of your religion or anybody else's religion when it comes to what I can and cannot do with my body.

The Constitution says I have the freedom to chose to have any religion or none . It does not say the State has the right to impose religious beliefs on me so the religious route has no place in this discussion.

By the way - there is no God. ;)

science says there is no God

A woman will only get pregnant in the natural world by having sex, only religion believes in the immaculate conception and at that only a few. science will stop pregnancy but not nature, science will allow 'intervention' which does have its own risks.

I don't know why there is a smiley face, means nothing to me. obviously you think all people who are against abortion are religious tut tut

Then it is up to the person considering this things to make their own decision as to whether they wish to avail of them. It's called Choice.

not in Ireland, hurray

not in Ireland, hurray

Yet.

Yet.

maybe after your dead, maybe not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

psst-we-need-some-quality-in-this-thread.jpg

science says there is no God

A woman will only get pregnant in the natural world by having sex, only religion believes in the immaculate conception and at that only a few. science will stop pregnancy but not nature, science will allow 'intervention' which does have its own risks.

I don't know why there is a smiley face, means nothing to me. obviously you think all people who are against abortion are religious tut tut

No, you said we are made in the image of God. I said there is no God. My belief is as valid as your belief. As you cannot prove there is a God and I cannot prove there is not - it is all a question of belief. So leave your God out of it.

As for 'science will stop pregnancy but not nature' - what utter tosh - how about you explain miscarriages then.

maybe after your dead, maybe not

So what if I am dead? How is that even relevant to this discussion?

I have a granddaughter. She will have choice.

No, you said we are made in the image of God. I said there is no God. My belief is as valid as your belief. As you cannot prove there is a God and I cannot prove there is not - it is all a question of belief. So leave your God out of it.

As for 'science will stop pregnancy but not nature' - what utter tosh - how about you explain miscarriages then.

miscarriages as explained to me by a doctor as natures way of getting rid of something that was not right. You are obviously young, with not as much life experience as older people. I can understand that, with age things become clearer

I look upon life as being dealt a card hand, some people are dealt a better hand than others, and we have to live and best deal with what we are given. Not all of us live to a 'full age'. I have seen children die of cancer as I grew up, sad but that's natures way.

So what if I am dead? How is that even relevant to this discussion?

I have a granddaughter. She will have choice.

maybe, but not yet

• Advertisement

Nah the science tells that above 50% of viable embyros are spontaneously aborted. Nature is very inefficient at this whole reproduction business.

Jernal wrote: »
    Nah the science tells that above 50% of viable embyros are spontaneously aborted. Nature is very inefficient at this whole reproduction business.

perhaps our knowledge does not properly understand why

Our current understanding is that .......................

How often has science done a u-turn

perhaps our knowledge does not properly understand why

Our current understanding is that .......................

Perhaps, but you're appealing to ignorance here. Until we know otherwise, surely it's best to assume that the extensive research done on embyros is painting the most accurate picture. Especially when thus far you have failed to provide an alternate picture.

Sometimes it u-turns drastically other times it doesn't. I don't see the Earth becoming flat again, do you?

miscarriages as explained to me by a doctor as natures way of getting rid of something that was not right. You are obviously young, with not as much life experience as older people. I can understand that, with age things become clearer

I look upon life as being dealt a card hand, some people are dealt a better hand than others, and we have to live and best deal with what we are given. Not all of us live to a 'full age'. I have seen children die of cancer as I grew up, sad but that's natures way.

Yes - so young I have grandchildren. :rolleyes:

Now how about less religious rubbish of the 'made in God's image' type, less patronising comments about things becoming clearer with age, less 'a doctor once told me' hearsay of and you produce some actual arguments which say why women should not have the right to control over their own bodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

My body, my choice.

maybe, but not yet

She will because like it or not Ireland is shaking off the shackles of religion and entering the late 20th century - give it 10 years and we may actually manage to catch up with the rest of Europe.

She will because like it or not Ireland is shaking off the shackles of religion and entering the late 20th century - give it 10 years and we may actually manage to catch up with the rest of Europe.

I think you're being optimistic there. I put it at 25 years at least. (And something terrible will likely have to happen to serve as a catalyst.)

Yes - so young I have grandchildren. :rolleyes:

Now how about less religious rubbish of the 'made in God's image' type, less patronising comments about things becoming clearer with age, less 'a doctor once told me' hearsay of and you produce some actual arguments which say why women should not have the right to control over their own bodies?

hearsay !!!!!

less religious rubbish, why do your group jump on religion bandwagon. I avoided that whole thing. just mentioned that as opposite to nature

Here comes a bit more religion OMG on this whole statement

Is that too much religion for you ?

seems like you had an abortion and your all cut up over it ? no point taking it out on religion, they just have their view which you cannot accept

Am I right, you have an abortion ? at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Interesting how scientific knowledge suddenly gets dismissed when someone uses it to challenge demolish your arguments... :rolleyes:

I think you're being optimistic there. I put it at 25 years at least. (And something terrible will likely have to happen to serve as a catalyst.)

Why is it if you don't like abortion you are religious ? Why can non believers also object to abortion but still we are all religious ?????

• Advertisement

Interesting how scientific knowledge suddenly gets dismissed when someone uses it to challenge demolish your arguments... :rolleyes:

Actually no, that the way it works. people are always in disagreement with regard to science. for example evolution, the example I gave earlier (if anybody read it) was disputed and there is some evidence, but who knows for sure

I put it somewhere between 10 and 20 years... but unfortunately I agree wholeheartedly on the catalyst thing. I f**king hate the thought that some woman or family will have to go through a horrendous trauma to get safe, legal abortion being made available here. Even worse is the thought that that woman could be me or someone I care about.

I did say 'may' ;).

I think it can happen in 10 years.

The Ireland I left aged 18 in 1983 is a vastly different country to the one I live in 30 years later (as least I think it is what with me being so young and inexperienced how could I tell....).

Just compare how SPUC and their ilk were allowed to bully and dominate the abortion debate in 82/3 and the scorn with which YD were viewed in the run up to the Protection of Life Bill.

Or the fact that male homosexuality wasn't decriminalized until 1993 yet a meer 20 years later the State will legally recognise two men as a couple...and soon it will be full marriage equality.

Edit - sadly agree it will take a tragedy. Again.

I put it somewhere between 10 and 20 years... but unfortunately I agree wholeheartedly on the catalyst thing. I f**king hate the thought that some woman or family will have to go through a horrendous trauma to get safe, legal abortion being made available here. Even worse is the thought that that woman could be me or someone I care about.

The way you had to ?

Actually no, that the way it works. people are always in disagreement with regard to science. for example evolution, the example I gave earlier (if anybody read it) was disputed and there is some evidence, but who knows for sure

I don't think science works the way you think it works.

The way you had to ?

Excuse me??

I don't think science works the way you think it works.

<Speculating the identity of a poster is a complete no no anywhere on this site!>

hearsay !!!!!

less religious rubbish, why do your group jump on religion bandwagon. I avoided that whole thing. just mentioned that as opposite to nature

Here comes a bit more religion OMG on this whole statement

Is that too much religion for you ?

seems like you had an abortion and your all cut up over it ? no point taking it out on religion, they just have their view which you cannot accept

Still no argument as to why women shouldn't have the right to control over there own bodies I see.

You are the one who mentioned religion - I said it had no place in this discussion. Religious people can believe anything they want to just as long as they don't expect other to obey their rules.

Strike TWO.
    You are sooo wrong that regular posters here are snorting at how incredibly wrong you are.

Wanna go for strike three?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Interesting point, as we need foreign nationals to boost the Irish population to pay for pensions etc. more babies are needed in Ireland

Economics says have more children - that's another one

The national economics may say that but the day to day of many households often say the opposite, in the current climate.

Still you can't force women to continue pregnancy they do not wish.
    If you really think that we should have more children then you have an awesomne child care plan for the country to share with us?

• Advertisement

The way you had to ?

Any further remarks along this line and it's a card. Any further after that and it's a ban!
    Also, Please re-read the terms and conditions of Boards.ie before enquiring personally about the identities of posters.

We expect you to act responsibly in posting Material on Boards.ie. You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:

identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement