Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Peter never brought religion into it, he voted against the bill because of his conscience

Gloating on others misfortune, no wonder yee approve of ending life, no respect at all

Enda Kenny promised he would never pass such a motion through the Dail and he did. pack of liar's, labour way not Frankfurts way

Peter one of the few that was good to his words

COP ON !

Fine Gael promised the following in their election manifesto:
    We will establish an all-party committee, with access to medical and legal expertise, to consider the implications of the recent ruling of the ECHR and to make recommendations. Such a process would, we believe, be the best way of examining the issues in a way that respects the range of sincerely-held views on this matter.

Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

If you don't want religion brought up, then you shouldn't bring it up!

You're the only one on this thread bringing religion into the discussion.

F..k sake

yee are always at it

Even at poor Peter

Mod can religion, god, prayers etc etc etc be banned from this forum, some kind of software to ban those words ???

Its the pro abortion crowd that keep at it, like some big joke

if you are against abortion then this crowd reckon your on some wi-fi hotspot/iphone etc from the parish church, mixing doin a bit of blogging with praying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Ah, I was worried for a moment there, I thought I had lost my motivation for a Gym workout. I found some posts here good for an hour or two on the punchbag :-,)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

F..k sake

yee are always at it

Even at poor Peter

Mod can religion, god, prayers etc etc etc be banned from this forum, some kind of software to ban those words ???

Its the pro abortion crowd that keep at it, like some big joke

if you are against abortion then this crowd reckon your on some wi-fi hotspot/iphone etc from the parish church, mixing doin a bit of blogging with praying
    Don't be silly, I really doubt there are many people still going to church who also don't think a WiFi hotspot is something that Bridie had to go to the doctor to get a cream for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Virgil° wrote: »
    Dunno if its against the rules or not to point out(sorry if it is) but hes over in prison either lying his heart out or unaware of his multiple personality disorder.

Should be a good read at any rate.

Excellent! I must have checked there too early ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Jernal wrote: »
    Silvio, sorry Jack, is on a permanent holiday.

CALLED IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

CALLED IT!

If this is going to be about bragging rights then we'll have to do an extensive checking of the logs because a lot of people called it. :P

It's kind of like a peer review. See? It's not just for academics, it helps root out errors in real life too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Peter never brought religion into it, he voted against the bill because of his conscience

Interestingly, he's not being paid to represent his own conscience; he's being paid to represent his constituents. He, and others like him, should have quit their seats long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gloating on others misfortune, no wonder yee approve of ending life, no respect at all

Enda Kenny promised he would never pass such a motion through the Dail and he did. pack of liar's, labour way not Frankfurts way

Peter one of the few that was good to his words

COP ON !

The rosary beads refers to an incident when the Vatican embassy was closed. At an FG meeting Mathews was waving them about the place.

I give respect where its due. Its not due there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Correct, (typo)my mistake she had a miscarriage, and was deeply affected

Imagine the effect of an abortion would have had on her-despite the fact she thought she wanted one

Actually the research shows that women undergoing abortion suffer no statistically significant adverse psychological outcomes. Women undergoing full term pregnancy have reported a significant increase in psychiatric contact. It's all nicely documented here.

Induced First-Trimester Abortion and Risk of Mental Disorder

contraception and abortion also have risks, cannot be considered safe. They have their risks and side effects both physical and mental

The safety of contraception depends on both your definition of the term safe and the method of contraception.

As for abortion, it is one of the safest medical procedures there is. The death rate from general surgical procedures in the US is approximately 1.3%. The death rate from abortions in the US is approximately 0.0014%. In 2008, for example, there were 825,564 abortions performed in the USA. In that period there were only 12 deaths from abortions or complications thereof.

Predicting Risk of Death in General Surgery Patients on the Basis of Preoperative Variables Using American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Data

Abortion Surveillance 2009

Science would say yes, make lots of babies

in fact Neanderthals and Humans Interbred, its all natural. make babies

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/05/100506-science-neanderthals-humans-mated-interbred-dna-gene/

Science doesn't agree with you. At all.

Sometime after we split from chimpanzees c. 5mya, human females developed a concealed oestrus, i.e. the males would no longer be able to tell when a female was in season. Once this mutation took hold in the population, sex very much ceased to be solely or even predominantly about reproduction. It became as much about enjoyment as anything else.

This might enlighten you further:

The Case of the Female Orgasm

Ah, normality returns and with it a wonderful blessing of knowledge from almighty oldrnwisr. <333

Sarky wrote: »
    Ah, normality returns and with it a wonderful blessing of knowledge from almighty oldrnwisr. <333

Seriously if you don't mention him in the acknowledgements of you PhD thesis I'm going to personally find the folks responsible for your viva and convince them to fail you!:P

oldrnwisr wrote: »

Science doesn't agree with you. At all.

Sometime after we split from chimpanzees c. 5mya, human females developed a concealed oestrus, i.e. the males would no longer be able to tell when a female was in season. Once this mutation took hold in the population, sex very much ceased to be solely or even predominantly about reproduction. It became as much about enjoyment as anything else.

This might enlighten you further:

very sad

If this is going to be about bragging rights then we'll have to do an extensive checking of the logs because a lot of people called it. :P

Bronze : Unforgettable Fire.
    Silver: His Eminence Sarklor.
    Gold: Nodin.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Interestingly, he's not being paid to represent his own conscience; he's being paid to represent his constituents. He, and others like him, should have quit their seats long ago.

On that basis they should all quit

he represents those that voted for him, you vote your way and they represent those views

very sad

That's your rebuttal to a well-researched post containing evidence to back up all claims? Come on, you can do better than that. Please be able to do better than that. It'd be terribly embarrassing for you if you had nothing to counter with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

very sad

Sad as in....? :confused::confused::confused:

Bronze : Unforgettable Fire.
    Silver: His Eminence Sarklor.
    Gold: Nodin.

Damn it, Nodin!

Damn it, Nodin!

LOL

• Advertisement

Sad as in....? :confused::confused::confused:

orgasm part

I'm sure you'll be able to explain WHY it's "very sad", and back your points up with a few links. It'd look terribly foolish and ignorant if you were to just leave it at your glib dismissal.

orgasm part

That hasn't cleared up my confusion one iota

ETA: What Sarky said

Originally Posted by oldrnwisr viewpost.gif

his might enlighten you further:

http://afterabortion.org/1999/abortion-risks-a-list-of-major-physical-complications-related-to-abortion/

According to the best record based study of deaths following pregnancy and abortion, a 1997 government funded study in Finland, women who abort are approximately four times more likely to die in the following year than women who carry their pregnancies to term. In addition, women who carry to term are only half as likely to die as women who were not pregnant.16 (Click here for more details on this important study.)

natural1-300x184.jpgComparison of deaths from natural causes (excluding suicide, accidents, and violence) by pregnancy outcome compared to women not pregnant in the year prior to their death.

suicide-300x205.jpgWomen who had abortions were 3.4 times more likely to commit suicide compared to women who had not been pregnant in the previous year and 6 times more likely to commit suicide than women who delivered.

The Finland researchers found that compared to women who carried to term, women who aborted in the year prior to their deaths were 60 percent more likely to die of natural causes, seven times more likely to die of suicide, four times more likely to die of injuries related to accidents, and 14 times more likely to die from homicide.

Two studies of the entire population of women in Denmark published in 2012 have shown similar results. The first found that the risk of death following abortion remains higher in each of the first ten years following the abortion. The second found that the risk of death increases with each abortion, 45% after one abortion, 114% after two abortions, and 192 percent after three or more abortions.

Nope, I've checked through the mess of code you piled into that post and there's still no explanation as to WHY oldrnwisr's post was "very sad".

Can you try harder, please? It's just that I'm busy after work and won't have much time to read your responses, and right now you're just digging yourself a deeper hole...

just have your dinner, I am winning this one easy

Well I'm sure a website called "afterabortion" will be impartial and unbiased and full of scrupulously exact science. I've a D&D game in about 30 minutes so someone else will have to look at the numbers and methodology and tell me if they're a pile of ****. Sorry Jernal, I know you love making me trawl through spreadsheets but my urban ranger character is finally levelling up tonight!

Well I'm sure a website called "afterabortion" will be impartial and unbiased and full of scrupulously exact science. I've a D&D game in about 30 minutes so someone else will have to look at the numbers and methodology and tell me if they're a pile of ****. Sorry Jernal, I know you love making me trawl through spreadsheets but my urban ranger character is finally levelling up tonight!

Enjoy the D&D game

Am sure it will go better than this one - for you that is

Women with a history of one abortion face a 2.3 times higher risk of having cervical cancer, compared to women with no history of abortion. Women with two or more abortions face a 4.92 relative risk. Similar elevated risks of subsequent ovarian and liver cancer have also been linked to single and multiple abortions. These increased cancer rates for post-aborted women may be linked to the unnatural disruption of the hormonal changes which accompany pregnancy and untreated cervical damage or to increased stress and the negative impact of stress on the immune system.4

Women who had one, two, or more previous induced abortions are, respectively, 1.89, 2.66, or 2.03 times more likely to have a subsequent pre-term delivery, compared to women who carry to term. Prior induced abortion not only increased the risk of premature delivery, it also increased the risk of delayed delivery. Women who had one, two, or more induced abortions are, respectively, 1.89, 2.61, and 2.23 times more likely to have a post-term delivery (over 42 weeks).17 Pre-term delivery increases the risk of neonatal death and handicaps.

HANDICAPPED NEWBORNS IN LATER PREGNANCIES:

Abortion is associated with cervical and uterine damage which may increase the risk of premature delivery, complications of labor and abnormal development of the placenta in later pregnancies. These reproductive complications are the leading causes of handicaps among newborns.9

INCREASED RISKS FOR WOMEN SEEKING MULTIPLE ABORTIONS:

In general, most of the studies cited above reflect risk factors for women who undergo a single abortion. These same studies show that women who have multiple abortions face a much greater risk of experiencing these complications. This point is especially noteworthy since approximately 45% of all abortions are for repeat aborters.

somepeople never heard of a condom !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The Daily Mail abortion thread??? Now that's something I'd vote for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm sure somebody else will have more time to dismantle those stats in turn, the supposed suicide "link" in particular is used as a case study for abuse of statistics for a presupposed moral agenda.

But in the meantime, you still haven't explained what's sad about orgasms?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement