Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

From this we can see that there is a reduction in internet explorers market share and a reduction in murders. But we can see elsewhere that there is a rise in abortions. From this we can see that if we force everyone to use internet explorer there will be no abortions, but there will be a rise in murders.

I remember from uni, my lecturer in statistics telling the class that for a significant period of time there was almost perfect correlation in the change in rainfall levels in Hyde Park and changes in the UK unemployment figures to illustrate correlation=\=causation. Pity it was so long ago that I can't remember the exact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My stats lecturer was always showing us sunburn rates vs. sunblock sales to demonstrate it. Amazing how people would take such a graph to mean that selling sunblock causes sunburn. But lo and behold it's all over this thread. Well, it was until Jernal spent his night deleting a shedload of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Sarky wrote: »
    But lo and behold it's all over this thread. Well, it was until Jernal spent his night deleting a shedload of crap.

I don't get it. What did you have to do Jernal? I saw a 'head meets desk' linky, but not the original post.

HATE not knowing what's really happening, grrrr. Left over from being the 'annoying' child :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Obliq wrote: »

HATE not knowing what's really happening, grrrr. Left over from being the 'annoying' child :D

And here you are in the Annoying Adults forum :D

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And here you are in the Annoying Adults forum :D

I growed up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You dont' have to.
    One can be a responsible adult with out ever never ever being a "Grown up".

You did yeah. ;)

Morag wrote: »
    You dont' have to.
    One can be a responsible adult with out ever never ever being a "Grown up".

Wait till you see me throw all my toys out of the pram when I don't get an answer as to what's been going on :D You may change your mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wait till you see me throw all my toys out of the pram when I don't get an answer as to what's been going on :D You may change your mind.....

There's no point in having the answer when you don't have the question you should be asking. To calculate the question you're going to need a much bigger computer that hopefully won't be destroyed by an intergalactic demolition ship making space for a new space highway.

Jernal wrote: »
    There's no point in having the answer when you don't have the question you should be asking. To calculate the question you're going to need a much bigger computer that hopefully won't be destroyed by an intergalactic demolition ship making space for a new space highway.

Did you, or did you not have to do a 'batch deletion' of some 'scripting' .....um......stuff? Boll*x, nope. Can't calculate the question. Hope you deleted it out of the skies though, in batch stylee....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Did you, or did you not have to do a 'batch deletion' of some 'scripting' .....um......stuff? Boll*x, nope. Can't calculate the question. Hope you deleted it out of the skies though, in batch stylee....

I was lamenting the apparent lack of such scripting. Or was and remain today ignorant of the presence of such scripting. To delete it from the sky I'm going to need an official order signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, subjected to public enquiry, stamped again, repealed and finally approved with a poem attached. (A poem to which a person would rather die than hear it read aloud. )

Jernal wrote: »
    I was lamenting the apparent lack of such scripting. Or was and remain today ignorant of the presence of such scripting. To delete it from the sky I'm going to need an official order signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, subjected to public enquiry, stamped again, repealed and finally approved with a poem attached. (A poem to which a person would rather die than hear it read aloud. )

Ah go on.....

Scripting shcripting (try saying that quickly...). Don't talk to me about public enquiries.....you are removed from the people already, I see. Where's your roots?! Where's your loyalty?! I want blood, dammit. Give us a poem.

also, tell me shurrup if the glass(es) of wine is showing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Sarky wrote: »
    No wonder the roads here are such a state.

They've got to get them somewhere. They're all out working so the washing machine is out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"THE priest who resigned from a Catholic hospital board after it confirmed it would comply with new abortion laws has said he did so because he believes a religious organisation has a right to an ethos."

Hehehe. He can believe what he wants.....

"Said Fr Doran: "The day the act was published in its final form, he said he did not see a problem with Catholic hospitals. He said no hospital in receipt of State funding could opt out and that while an individual could have their right to conscience, an institution couldn't.
    "In doing so, he was setting at nought the whole possibility of an organisation having an ethos, be it Catholic, Church of Ireland, Quaker, be it a hospital or a school.
    "He was basically saying 'if we pay you, we own you. We make the rules and irrespective of your ethos, you keep our rules'."

O the lols........

"Ireland is not a secular State, it is a pluralist society in which people are entitled to freedom of religion and it is perfectly legitimate for people like the Sisters of Mercy to engage in partnership in healthcare with the State and expect their values to be respected, in the same way as values of civil society are respected."

...sez he, with ne'er a trace of irony. Comedy gold.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/priest-quit-mater-board-over-right-to-religious-ethos-29637492.html

See also.....
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/08/07/nothing-really-maters/

Father Kev also writes for "Alive" magazine, for those unfamiliar with his smiley manner....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I suppose from this that Fr Doran is a firm believer in the "mental reservation" policy as well, so he can ignore those other people of different and no beliefs providing medical and other services to the public and private patients in both the Public and Private Mater Hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Nodin wrote: »
    "THE priest who resigned from a Catholic hospital board after it confirmed it would comply with new abortion laws has said he did so because he believes a religious organisation has a right to an ethos."

The hospital in question already has an ethos:
    At the time of being admitted as a member of the medical profession:
    I solemnly pledge to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;
    I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;
    I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;
    The health of my patient will be my first consideration;
    I will respect the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
    I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession;
    My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers;
    I will not permit considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;
    I will maintain the utmost respect for human life;
    I will not use my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;
    I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honour.

Please note that nowhere it says "I will refuse to appropriately treat women due to the fact c.150 years ago a man changed the rules of his religion to conform to his personal misogyny."
    "Ireland is not a secular State, it is a pluralist society in which people are entitled to freedom of religion

Does he not realise what he said here, "Ireland is not a secular state, it is a secular state"? Secularism is the one state philosophy which guarantees freedom of religion, he musn't like the freedom from religion that it also guarantees to the likes of me. Well I'll tell Fr. Doran what I've told JC a few times, the only guarantee of his religious freedom is living in a secular state. If the theocracy he clearly wants were to be established, as sure as eggs is eggs he'd be persecuted for not believing correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Nodin wrote: »
    He said no hospital in receipt of State funding could opt out and that while an individual could have their right to conscience, an institution couldn't.
    "In doing so, he was setting at nought the whole possibility of an organisation having an ethos, be it Catholic, Church of Ireland, Quaker, be it a hospital or a school.
    "He was basically saying 'if we pay you, we own you. We make the rules and irrespective of your ethos, you keep our rules'."

There's someone who never learned that whoever pays the piper calls the tune. If he doesn't want to abide by the governments rulings and the laws of the land he is perfectly welcome to fund the hospital out of his own pocket, but taking government money means doing what the government tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Today is the 30th year anniversary of the enactment of the 8th amendment to the constitution.
    Serveral groups held a press conference calling for it to be removed.
    http://www.nwci.ie/index.php/learn/article/joint_statement_repeal_the_eighth_amendment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The hospital in question already has an ethos:

....but it's a wrong one so it doesn't count.

There was a business man and a nun who were fellow travellers with Father Doran. One wonders if they'll be as good as to fuck the fuck off in the near future....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I am unclear as to why this man is getting attention. If he feels unable to carry out his duties because he disagrees with the law of the land which governs his workplace, resignation is entirely appropriate. It is hardly media worthy.

• Advertisement

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I am unclear as to why this man is getting attention. If he feels unable to carry out his duties because he disagrees with the law of the land which governs his workplace, resignation is entirely appropriate. It is hardly media worthy.

Welcome to Ireland.

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If he feels unable to carry out his duties because he disagrees with the law of the land which governs his workplace, resignation is entirely appropriate.
    Yes, while this chap is resigning his position because he disagrees with national law, one does have to point out that previous generations of his organization simply ignored whatever laws they found inconvenient.

In that case, finding a priest with the cojones to resign over the law, rather than just ignoring it, really is news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

robindch wrote: »
    Yes, while this chap is resigning his position because he disagrees with national law, one does have to point out that previous generations of his organization simply ignored whatever laws they found inconvenient.

In that case, finding a priest with the cojones to resign over the law, rather than just ignoring it, really is news.

I think that's more a sign of the times rather than a priest showing cojones. No longer can priests simply get away with what they used to be able to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

It seems he is throwing a tantrum because the Catholic Church is not being placed above the law, where he appears to believe it should be.

It seems he is throwing a tantrum because the Catholic Church is not being placed above the law, where he appears to believe it should be.

ah, but the context....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    ah, but the context....

Look on the bright side; there's a severe reduction in the amount of women here who'd accept any priest coming out with a "get thee behind me, woman" attitude (I hope) :)

aloyisious wrote: »
    Look on the bright side; there's a severe reduction in the amount of women here who'd accept any priest coming out with a "get thee behind me, woman" attitude (I hope) :)

Depends on the context...this woman would have no problem getting behind a priest if he was acting as a human shield :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Morag wrote: »
    Jesus, hardly sounds like an unbiased judge to me.
    After questioning the girl and telling her “when you have the abortion it’s going to kill the child inside you,” Judge Bataillon denied the girl’s request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement