Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You'd love Civilization. I've yet to start Game of Thrones so they'll go right over my head. I was thinking we should do it in terms of ancient gods next. I'm just happy with the fact that I finally got to say 'puny'.

I have Civ V and Brave New World. I also have Civ IV. The problem is I also have Anno. Which I infinitely prefer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    It's like Peter Boylan uses a words like Quixotic and instead of applauding the high points ingenuity of the score Breda thrashes the board off the table and storms out the room in a tantrum accusing Peter of making up words.

Finally someone who speaka my language! :D

I once played 'Oldsquaw' on a triple word against a Breda....:p

Sarky wrote: »
    For those who read the GoT books only:

Breda is like Cersei,
    scheming away thinking she's the cleverest person in the world, while in reality she's terrible at it, and soon everyone will realise she's bat**** crazy and heading towards a seriously unpleasant wake-up call.

Boylan is probably Littlefinger: She's dancing to his tune like the food little puppet she is until he cuts her strings.

So she's a t*at....AND a sore loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Sarky wrote: »
    In other abortion-related news, a member of the Catholic hierarchy labels a democratically elected government as a "Nazi regime" without a trace of irony:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/priest-orders-td-not-to-help-with-communion-29655405.html

Of all religious organisations, the one that helped Hitler to power really should think a bit harder before Godwinning anyone.

The Admin costs and overheads involved in issuing a receipt would be too much, now that's a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I have Civ V and Brave New World. I also have Civ IV. The problem is I also have Anno. Which I infinitely prefer. :D

I'll buy it at Christmas to find out what the big deal is with it. This forum is becoming deeply confused and slowly morphing into a biscuit gaming forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

aloyisious wrote: »
    The Admin costs and overheads involved in issuing a receipt would be too much, now that's a good one.

Well, obviously they can't afford it after giving SO MUCH MONEY to the redress board for abuse victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'll buy it at Christmas to find out what the big deal is with it. This forum is becoming deeply confused and slowly morphing into a biscuit gaming forum.

Couldn't recommend it more. You may need to watch a few tutorial videos on youtube because the game has a massive learning curve! The Campaign (and even the expansions) don't cover the half of it. It's fun though to figure stuff out on your own by a bit of trial and error. Once you get a stable economy up and running you probably'll be terrified to attempt expanding it further.

The only niggle the game has is the combat could be a lot better. It's very basic which is surprising given the depth of everything else in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....well, well, well.....

"A PROMINENT Government TD has been told to stand aside as a minister of the eucharist by his parish priest over his support for the controversial abortion legislation, the Sunday Independent has learnt.

Fine Gael TD for Dublin Mid West Derek Keating was accused of being involved in a "Nazi regime" by another priest in his constituency, who has since stopped him from using a parish hall to hold his constituency clinics."
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/priest-orders-td-not-to-help-with-communion-29655405.html

Nodin wrote: »
    ....well, well, well.....

"A PROMINENT Government TD has been told to stand aside as a minister of the eucharist by his parish priest over his support for the controversial abortion legislation, the Sunday Independent has learnt.

Fine Gael TD for Dublin Mid West Derek Keating was accused of being involved in a "Nazi regime" by another priest in his constituency, who has since stopped him from using a parish hall to hold his constituency clinics."

In fairness, the Roman Catholic Church have consistently been bad losers.

They never did learn to play well with others....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm fascinated, Banna. Do go on. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Nodin wrote: »
    who has since stopped him from using a parish hall to hold his constituency clinics."
    Can't say that there isn't a silver lining here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Couldn't recommend it more. You may need to watch a few tutorial videos on youtube because the game has a massive learning curve! The Campaign (and even the expansions) don't cover the half of it. It's fun though to figure stuff out on your own by a bit of trial and error. Once you get a stable economy up and running you probably'll be terrified to attempt expanding it further.

The only niggle the game has is the combat could be a lot better. It's very basic which is surprising given the depth of everything else in the game.

I gave up Civ back at Civ III....II I loved, III I never got.

I'm old

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-derek-keating-church-lucan-eucharistic-minister-1128307-Oct2013/
    FG TD who was told not to help with communion insists he’s ‘very much pro-life’
    Derek Keating has been told not to fulfil his duties as a minister of the Eucharist at St Mary’s Parish in Lucan in the wake of his support for the Protection of Life during Pregnancy Bill last July.

One of the comments made sums this up perfectly for me,

“Member of an oppressive Church expresses shock at being oppressed”

In other news, catholic church tries to influence/control government decisions....oh wait, they've been doing that for decades.

Cabaal wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-derek-keating-church-lucan-eucharistic-minister-1128307-Oct2013/

One of the comments made sums this up perfectly for me,

“Member of an oppressive Church expresses shock at being oppressed”

In other news, catholic church tries to influence/control government decisions....oh wait, they've been doing that for decades.

Catholic Church fails to influence Government decisions :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Femen protests at the Spanish Parliament as they debate abortion reform:

http://www.euronews.com/2013/10/09/topless-feminist-protest-in-spain-s-parliament-over-abortion-reform/

robindch wrote: »
    Femen protests at the Spanish Parliament as they debate abortion reform:

http://www.euronews.com/2013/10/09/topless-feminist-protest-in-spain-s-parliament-over-abortion-reform/[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a load of boll*cks, (and that's a factual statement :). T'is gas that it's the Popular Party trying to bring in the change, I hope Spanish women light a fire under it's arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

What abortion rights there are in EU countries are under attack across the board.
    I attended a Speak out event which the Abortion Rights Campagin ran 2 weeks ago
    and along side Irish women speaking about thier abortions there were activists there
    from Italy, Belgium, Spain, Porto and Poland talking about how those rights have been
    rolled back or are being chipped away at.

There are conservative christian parties with in the EU parliament and anti abortion groups
    are also looking to directly lobby them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/prolife-mla-may-have-to-implement-abortion-changes-in-northern-ireland-29653602.html
    It's been revealed that a UN committee has given the Government until next July to report on its implementation plans to update abortion laws in Northern Ireland.

The recommended changes would mean that women could legally have a pregnancy terminated here in the circumstances of rape, incest, threats to the woman's health and serious malformation of the foetus.

The UN reporting deadline was highlighted yesterday by Virginia McVea, director of Northern Ireland Human Rights Association.

She said: "The law regarding abortion needs to be clear, for women, their families and healthcare professionals, and we hope that the government will respond as quickly as possible to the requirements of the committee."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

At 24 weeks a womb infection had led to her premature labor and birth and Isbister (who also has two children Samuel, 10, and Kirsten, 8 ) said, “We were terrified we were going to lose her. I had suffered three miscarriages before, so we didn’t think there was much hope.” When Rachael was born she was grey and lifeless.
    Ian Laing, a consultant neonatologist at the hospital, said: “All the signs were that the little one was not going to make it and we took the decision to let mum have a cuddle as it was all we could do.
    Two hours later the wee thing was crying. This is indeed a miracle baby and I have seen nothing like it in my 27 years of practice. I have not the slightest doubt that mother’s love saved her daughter.”

http://babywhys.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/mothers-last-skin-to-skin-goodbye-saves-her-20oz-baby/

So doctors can say a child will not survive, but in reality may survive.

if a woman has an abortion on medical advice that child will not survive, well if there is an abortion - who will ever find out if it was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And the ones without brains or hearts or lungs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

TheChizler wrote: »

We cant tell until the child is born and left for a few hours supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

God created the heavens and the earth. I am sure it is not beyond him to magic in some missing organs.

MrP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MrPudding wrote: »
    God created the heavens and the earth. I am sure it is not beyond him to magic in some missing organs.

MrP

Hmm, what prayer magics in a missing brain stem?
    If the doctors can find that one out they'll be sorted

mbiking123 wrote: »
    At 24 weeks a womb infection had led to her premature labor and birth and Isbister (who also has two children Samuel, 10, and Kirsten, 8 ) said, “We were terrified we were going to lose her. I had suffered three miscarriages before, so we didn’t think there was much hope.” When Rachael was born she was grey and lifeless.
    Ian Laing, a consultant neonatologist at the hospital, said: “All the signs were that the little one was not going to make it and we took the decision to let mum have a cuddle as it was all we could do.
    Two hours later the wee thing was crying. This is indeed a miracle baby and I have seen nothing like it in my 27 years of practice. I have not the slightest doubt that mother’s love saved her daughter.”

http://babywhys.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/mothers-last-skin-to-skin-goodbye-saves-her-20oz-baby/

if a woman has an abortion on medical advice that child will not survive, well if there is an abortion - who will ever find out if it was correct.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but that story seem's to be about a premature-birth baby. The doctor's comments (and diagnosis as to the baby's longevity) about letting the mother cuddle the baby were made post-birth (in the light of the baby's apparent post-birth medical .condition - as seen directly face-to-face by the medics) not about the medical condition/status of a foetus-in-the-womb. A relationship with abortion does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

mbiking123 wrote: »

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Firstly, this case is hardly miraculous as the article suggests. The current survival rates for preterm births show that the survival rate for a Week 24, 0 day preterm birth is approximately 39% rising by 1-2% per day. So the survival of a 24-week old foetus should not be unsurprising to any healthcare professional. Secondly, in the last 20 years survival rates of preterm births has increased. A study published last year shows that the number of successful preterm births from 22-25 weeks gestation rose 13% between 1995 and 2006.

Neurological and developmental outcome in extremely preterm children born in England in 1995 and 2006: the EPICure studies

I'm not sure, though, what any of this has to do with abortion. Firstly, most abortions are performed before 12 weeks. In the UK, for example, 91% of all abortions are performed on or before 12 weeks. The "elective" grounds for abortion in the UK also expire at 24 weeks. Therefore, any abortions performed at a point relevant to the article above were performed for emergency purposes. In fact, of the 146 abortions performed after 24 weeks in the UK in 2011, all of these were performed under statutory ground E, foetal abnormality.

UK Abortion Statistics 2011

So, your post filled with as much emotion and scaremongering as it is, isn't really an argument against legal abortion. In fact, it's not really an argument against anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

But the tiiineeee baaaaybbeeeez!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

A mother's love will fix that. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A mother's love will fix that. Simples.

And baby Jebus too.

lazygal wrote: »
    And baby Jebus too.

Its Lesus damn it, didn't you get the Vatican's newsletter? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have a confession: Whenever I see someone here post something stupid, I skip ahead a few posts to see if oldrnwisr has torn it to shreds already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement