Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

mbiking123 wrote: »
    yes and your body is your cell cluster or put it another way

'Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of the six elements oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus'

So that all that you are,

what wrong with destroying oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus unless it's a person

Exactly. And what makes a person?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

'Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of the six elements oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus'

what wrong with destroying oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus unless it's a person

So a 'person' can never be 'destroyed' under any circumstances just because they are a person???

Excellent - I shall await the world wide ban on capital punishment, War etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Exactly. And what makes a person?

Their spirit, which you get at conception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Because society has defined what a person is, and what a human is. A human is a living breathing cognitively functioning person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You have something to back this hilarious claim up, I hope?

Oh god, please have something to back this up. It'll be amazing.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    So a 'person' can never be 'destroyed' under any circumstances just because they are a person???

Excellent - I shall await the world wide ban on capital punishment, War etc etc.

yes and it appears the last time Capital punishment was carried out in Ireland it was an innocent man

So a spirited horse is a person now...

What was she up to ?

Saving the lives of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus combinations that are not persons.

Sarky wrote: »
    You have something to back this hilarious claim up, I hope?

http://www.biblegateway.com/

What's their spirit? Is it real? Is it measurable? How do you know it's attained at conception and not at birth or when they're 3 or as you die?

• Advertisement

yes and it appears the last time Capital punishment was carried out in Ireland it was an innocent man

and?

What's their spirit? Is it real?QUOTE]

Of course, and even you have one

Any credible, non-biased, truthful source?

Irrelevant. Interesting though, I didn't know that.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    and?

I am agreeing with you, capital punishment is wrong etc etc

I thought you would approve of us agreeing

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

you posted the bible as evidence of your claim? you do realise you're not posting on the Christianity forum?

If you can read this, you're too close!

Of course, and even you have one

Even me huh. Neat. So:
    1. Is it measurable?
    2. How do you know it is attained at conception?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What is a spirit? How do you know anyone gets one? How do you know they get it at conception?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What is a spirit? How do you know anyone gets one? How do you know they get it at conception?

Do only 'persons' get one?

If so - how do we know?

• Advertisement

I am agreeing with you, capital punishment is wrong etc etc

I thought you would approve of us agreeing

Indeed. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy. However you didn't actually address my point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Pherekydes wrote: »

I thought that was at baptism when they wet the baby's head?

Spirit :rolleyes:

dove-holy-spirit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Jameson is nice. Some spirits are quite obnoxious though and are best utilised as a bonfire starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

In case your priest/reverend etc. never explained this to you, the bible doesn't actually support the idea of an immortal soul.

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew where the word for soul is

לְנֶ֥פֶשׁ

or nephesh.

There is no meaning of immortality to be found in this word anywhere in the Old Testament. In fact, it is made quite plain that the soul isn't immortal:

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing;
    they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten."
    Ecclesiastes 9:5.

The concepts of soul and hell and basically a continuation of existence after death are not biblical concepts, they're Hellenist. The divergence occurs during the intertestamental period known as Second Temple, where the authors of the Septuagint were heavily influenced by greek teaching. Thus the hebrew word nephesh was rendered in the septuagint as psyche, which is more in line with the understanding of soul that most Christians have today.

So, like many other things in Christianity this is nothing more than a deliberate translation error designed to incorporate Hellenistic thinking into Jewish belief. A 2000 year old game of Chinese whispers nothing more.

So, got any other evidence?

Jameson is awfully bland, I always thought. Trivia: If you do the tour of the distillery and get to the blindfold tasting section, they've set Jameson up against some really terrible competition to make it taste nicer.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    In case your priest/reverend etc. never explained this to you, the bible doesn't actually support the idea of an immortal soul.

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew where the word for soul is

לְנֶ֥פֶשׁ

or nephesh.

There is no meaning of immortality to be found in this word anywhere in the Old Testament. In fact, it is made quite plain that the soul isn't immortal:

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing;
    they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten."
    Ecclesiastes 9:5.

The concepts of soul and hell and basically a continuation of existence after death are not biblical concepts, they're Hellenist. The divergence occurs during the intertestamental period known as Second Temple, where the authors of the Septuagint were heavily influenced by greek teaching. Thus the hebrew word nephesh was rendered in the septuagint as psyche, which is more in line with the understanding of soul that most Christians have today.

So, like many other things in Christianity this is nothing more than a deliberate translation error designed to incorporate Hellenistic thinking into Jewish belief. A 2000 year old game of Chinese whispers nothing more.

So, got any other evidence?

Is that the Jewish bible or Christian bible you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

The difference being?

The Jewish Book is the Tanakh.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    The difference being?

Some of the new material in the Christian one is different. The writers wanted a new flavour, to give the book that edge it had been missing...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sarky wrote: »
    Jameson is awfully bland, I always thought. Trivia: If you do the tour of the distillery and get to the blindfold tasting section, they've set Jameson up against some really terrible competition to make it taste nicer.

Have to say, I like the stuff. Enjoyed the Middleton tour :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement