Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you want to know thread to make you smart and read good.

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

thee glitz wrote: »
    I think they make them to a min and max size so that's not possible.

Surely they have industrial sized microwaves for mass production.

Or if anyone here has a shrink ray, let me know and we can give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

They say that time travel is only possible if you were to travel around the earth at a certain speed, but the only difference would be that you are one day ahead.. Why is it not possible then to go backwards?
    Think I may watch Back To The Future tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

CJC999 wrote: »
    The temp sensors in cars are behind the front bumper so they don't take wind chill into effect. .

Ha ha! Thermometers affected by wind chill LOL!

Wind chill is only a perceived temperature drop... static air and moving air at the same temp will read the same on a thermometer ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

thee glitz wrote: »
    How do scienticians know what's at the centre of the earth?
    Solid iron and nickel apparently

Various ways. One is studying the movment of seismic waves (caused by the earth plates moving around). These waves move faster/slower through liquids and solids so by measuring how long a wave takes to get from one side of the planet to the other (seeing as we know the exact size of the planet) can be used to determine what's there.

Also Rocks thrown off during volcanic eruptions and meteors that land on earth can be used to determine what's inside a rocky planet like ours.

Scientists know the Iron and the Nickel are there because of the earth's immense magnetic field. This is quite rare to find in planets and is the main reason the sun's energy doesn't rip away our atmosphere like it did to Mars, as our magnetic field repels this harmful energy, leading to the phenomenon of the Northern Lights. This magnetic field can only be cause by a spinning metal core at the centre of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

With our warm days lately we are getting warm nights too. How come in the deserts and the outback etc they get much higher temperatures during the day but it can still get really cold at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

just a guess but could be something to do with cloud cover insulating the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

^ Bingo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zombienosh wrote: »
    What happens if you put anti-fungal cream on a mushroom?
    It wouldn't taste as nice as garlic mayonnaise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

With our warm days lately we are getting warm nights too. How come in the deserts and the outback etc they get much higher temperatures during the day but it can still get really cold at night?

Humidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Why is it that the more senior a person is in a company, the less capable they are of understanding simple concepts? Do they actually lose brains cells as they get promoted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

How many olives/sunflowers or whatever would you need to squeeze to get a bottle of oil? A truckload? How am I able to buy a truckload of anything for a few euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

it has to do with the amount of moisture in the air it "traps" the "heat" from the sun... this is why high humidity is worse than just hot weather.

In the desert there is no real moisture thus there is nothing to trap the heat, once the sun goes down all the energy escapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Why is the Milka Cow lilac?

How many olives/sunflowers or whatever would you need to squeeze to get a bottle of oil? A truckload? How am I able to buy a truckload of anything for a few euro?

well the yield of olives depend on the variety etc etc... but you can make approx 500ml of olive oil with 3.5-4kg of olives

bear1 wrote: »
    They say that time travel is only possible if you were to travel around the earth at a certain speed, but the only difference would be that you are one day ahead.. Why is it not possible then to go backwards?
    Think I may watch Back To The Future tonight :D

In theory if you were to tavel around the earth faster than the speed of light, you would eventually catch up with an "image" of youself from the past because the light has not left yet, in theory you would be viewing a past version of yourself.

However as the laws of physics exist it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light as you mass would reach infinity.

But then you also have to consider that Albert Einstein scientifically proved that time is just a dimension like the ordinary dimensions of space, and it can be warped, and hypothetically traversed.

which then brings up things like transversable wormholes and tachyons

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    Why is the Milka Cow lilac?

the first milka bar was produced in 1901, it was wrapped in lilac paper with just an outline of a cow.... they kept it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

In theory if you were to tavel around the earth faster than the speed of light, you would eventually catch up with an "image" of youself from the past because the light has not left yet, in theory you would be viewing a past version of yourself.

However as the laws of physics exist it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light as you mass would reach infinity.

But then you also have to consider that Albert Einstein scientifically proved that time is just a dimension like the ordinary dimensions of space, and it can be warped, and hypothetically traversed.

which then brings up things like transversable wormholes and tachyons

I would imagine then that the past image of yourself would be a momentary image as then it would catch up with you?
    I googled this now on the net and it was stated that while it "may" be possible, an extortionate amount of negative energy would be required which at the moment isnt possible:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/negativeenergy/negativeenergy.htm

Interesting read if you have nothing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WRECK TANGLE

How do seagulls know when the grass gets cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Can you ever be thinking of nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Garzard wrote: »
    Can you ever be thinking of nothing?

Probably, if you're in a vegetative state. Otherwise I wouldn't say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

How many olives would you need to squeeze to get a bottle of oil? A truckload? How am I able to buy a truckload of anything for a few euro?

Olive them.
    question shamelessly edited to help my pun along

Advertisement