Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorting Music Files from an iPod in Windows 8

Options
  • 10-07-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I got an iPod when I was about 17 and I've used iTunes since then as a result.

I don't want to anymore though. I don't like Apple or their software.

First of all, I lost the hard drive with all my music on it.
    My backup was my iPod. I copied the music off my iPod onto my new hard drive.

Now all my music isn't sorted properly - it's sorted in folders like "F04" and the files are called things like "AAEF". If I turn on details can see the title, album, genre and that kind of thing.

I've downloaded Winamp and imported all the music to that. It recognised the titles so it's sorted correctly in winamp.
    However, if I want to copy files around (an album onto a tablet or smart phone) it's difficult to sort through everything.

Is there an easy way, maybe a program, to sort out the names of the music files I have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

You could use something like this to sort out the file names. If your ID3 tags are correct, which they seem to be if your details tabs are right, it can rename the files based on those into something tidier. Would probably still have to sort the folders yourself but it's a start.

What did you use to copy the files from your ipod? Something similar happened to me recently and I used Xilisoft iPod rip, it ripped all the files and sorted/named them properly and was pretty straightforward.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

maximoose wrote: »
    What did you use to copy the files from your ipod? Something similar happened to me recently and I used Xilisoft iPod rip, it ripped all the files and sorted/named them properly and was pretty straightforward.

I just copied and pasted them from the ipod in My Computer. There's a hidden folder called "iPod Control". You can just copy stuff from there. The problem is that the files have silly names.

It was fine when i was just using iTunes, because it copies files that you add to itunes and puts them in another folder and gives them proper names.

One problem is that the function that allows you to do it all in one go (add folder in iTunes) has stopped working and it would take me hours upon hours to add each file individually.
    yoyo wrote: »
    SharePOD will do it!

Nick

From the website it suggests that it's for moving stuff into iTunes. Can it take stuff off an iPod and put it in a neat and tidy folder on your PC?

Alternatively, is there a program that allows you to take a folder full of folders and dump all the contents into the highest level folder?

So, for example, if I had E:\Music\Rock, E:\Music\Jazz, E:\Music\Blues is there something that would allow me to dump the contents of each into E:\Music?

Because that would probably cut out half the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gbear wrote: »

From the website it suggests that it's for moving stuff into iTunes. Can it take stuff off an iPod and put it in a neat and tidy folder on your PC?

Xilisoft ipod rip will do that.

That's weird that the 'add folder' option in itunes has just given up. You on latest version?

• Advertisement

I just copied and pasted them from the ipod in My Computer. There's a hidden folder called "iPod Control". You can just copy stuff from there. The problem is that the files have silly names.

It was fine when i was just using iTunes, because it copies files that you add to itunes and puts them in another folder and gives them proper names.

One problem is that the function that allows you to do it all in one go (add folder in iTunes) has stopped working and it would take me hours upon hours to add each file individually.

It certainly used to take songs off my ipod, I used to use it to back up my ipod as I never used ITunes "Libraries". Just click the copy to PC button

Nick

It certainly used to take songs off my ipod, I used to use it to back up my ipod as I never used ITunes "Libraries". Just click the copy to PC button

Nick

You have to buy this for it to work properly.

You have to buy this for it to work properly.

Sorry about that, it deffo used to be free.. :(

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Sorry about that, it deffo used to be free.. :(

Nick

It was always free until this happened
    On March 20, 2013, Sharepod was acquired by Macroplant, the creators of iExplorer and the leaders in software development of iOS transfer apps. The entire Macroplant development team is committed to improving and maintaining Sharepod and has released the all new Sharepod 4 for Mac and Windows.

Now they want 20 bucks for it

Versions older than v4 can still be got free from usual sources.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Draig

MP3TAG might work for you. it'll rename the files and move them into folders based on the tags in the file. You can select all of the files from multiple sub folders at the same time and rename them all in one go. It's free. www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Versions older than v4 can still be got free from usual sources.

Get Sharepod 3.9.9 (the last free version) here.

Don't hit the big inviting download button (this will get you a download manager) but the alternative link below.

RCvK4i4.jpg

Advertisement