Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing windows on SSD - MBR or GPT?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I recent bought an SSD and am looking to do a clean install of windows 7 on it. When initialising the disk it is asking me to chose between MBR or GPT. I looked around the internet but I can't seem to make up my mind. My motherboard is an Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z and has UEFI bios so it can run either.

My original HDD is MBR and I've read MBR is simpler and more compatible.
    But then I've read GPT is newer, it's supposed to be faster at booting and it's more reliable.

My SSD is a 250GB one. I'm not gonna be bothering with partitions on it and neither will I be sticking it in other PCs which it may not run on if I chose GPT.

So what should I go for? Simple and convenient or newer, faster? and more reliable??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You wouldn't see any real world difference between either at present, GPT is better for larger OS partitions so stick with MBR (esp. for just a 250GB drive).

Just as long as the SSD is formatted to NTFS, then Windows won't care at all.

http://www.petri.co.il/gpt-vs-mbr-based-disks.htm

Advertisement