Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good weather in this country making our children extra stupid...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

looks like a bit of craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Is jealousy a bitter pill to swallow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thick feckers love heights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

bumper234 wrote: »

I'd rather not maim myself today thanks.

I would rather be jumpin in there than sittin in this feckin office:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

I'd say the person recording the tomfoolery is equally stupid. Did he not realise that most cameras these days do have a zoom function?

calanus wrote: »
    I'd say the person recording the tomfoolery is equally stupid. Did he not realise that most cameras these days do have a zoom function?

He was afraid they would see him if he got too close:rolleyes:

It was recorded on a phone with the only zoom available being a digital zoom. Would you rather have seen a highly pixelated mess on the screen instead of being able to make out what was going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

When that Dublin thing said 'He's toiny' (48 sec), it reminded me of this:

Achilles wrote: »
    It was recorded on a phone with the only zoom available being a digital zoom. Would you rather have seen a highly pixelated mess on the screen instead of being able to make out what was going on?

Oh my put your handbag away love we are only having a joke with you:rolleyes: Jeez maybe you seriously do need to join them in the water cos you need to cool down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Looks like good fun to me.

Oh my put your handbag away love we are only having a joke with you:rolleyes: Jeez maybe you seriously do need to join them in the water cos you need to cool down a bit.

Nah I've been waiting all day to get my handbag out and bash somebody with it. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jay1988

What exactly are they doing wrong? Looks like good fun to me.

Nah I've been waiting all day to get my handbag out and bash somebody with it. ;-)

Beer first i ain't cheap you know :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This was during the last time we got warm weather

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

This was during the last time we got warm weather

Jaysus one lad there barely clears the barrier into the Liffey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There was something happening? All I saw was a shakey video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The height isn't as dangerous as the water they're jumping into. Swimming races are no longer held in Liffey waters because they've been deemed too toxic.

seamus wrote: »
    The height isn't as dangerous as the water they're jumping into. Swimming races are no longer held in Liffey waters because they've been deemed too toxic.

Would this be the same for the water in the Canal do you reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

The problem was that I couldn't see what was going on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

This is quite a stretch!

Darkens the photo/image though. :-/

jay1988 wrote: »

There might not be enough depth for them not to hit the bottom when they enter the water.

Guess it was deep enough or we would have heard, but that's not the point. Some of the responses on this thread show how dismayingly little some know about water safety. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Swimming races are no longer held in Liffey waters because they've been deemed too toxic.

The toxicity level has since declined with the prohibition raised against TD's Clare Daly and Lucinda Cretin urinating into the river.

My BF was splashed by some manky water from that exact area twice at weekend (by kids intentionally splashing us), and both times, he got some kind of allergic reaction. Eyes streaming, and sneezing for hours after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Lots of work being done in your office anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

The main problem with the liffey is sewage contamination leading to high levels of bacteria and associated risk of disease from rats etc. Its worst in the city of course. The liffey upstream of island bridge is actually very clean for the most part.

There are rats too in the canal but much less inflow from sewage pipes so the risk there is less on that front. However around the docks area the water quality of the canals is not great again due to inflow.

tmc86 wrote: »
    Lots of work being done in your office anyway!

During lunch time?

No not really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Certainly the grand canal dock and probably the canal waters as far as Rathmines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Needs more crocodiles.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

The toxicity level has since declined with the prohibition raised against TD's Clare Daly and Lucinda Cretin urinating into the river.

For shame Clare & Lucinda for shame piddleing in the liffey like that ruining it for us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Look. If this happened in most countries in the city centre the police would be there within minutes and arrest everybody for any number of offences.

It's time to stop going "era, they're grand"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,431 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stupid, selfish carry on in this heat......

The last few days Ive seen nothing but college age young wans thinking its fine to wear nothing but a barely-there bikini and a backpack walking along the street on their way back to the Dart from Sandycove of an evening. How stupid and dangerous is that......

........to road safety!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

FatherLen wrote: »
    looks like a bit of craic.
    I would rather be jumpin in there than sittin in this feckin office:mad:
    Looks like good fun to me.
    jay1988 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder why incidents of drowning are so high in this country.

Then I read a thread like this and remember why.:mad:

During lunch time?

No not really...

Get out there man, get some of that vitamin D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090720220818/familyguy/images/3/33/Buzz_Killington.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yeah, because twats trying their best to injure or kill themselves and possibly tie up the coast guard is something to be laughed at isn't it?

Hardy-Har-Fcuking-Har.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

So looks like it was just me then that watched the clip 3 times trying to see what the guys talking were on about. I thought they were videoing the guy in the boat or whatever it is there at the right of the video!
    Even on the 4th go when I went into youtube to watch it and put it on full screen, I was halfway through before I saw it!

How many reports of teenagers drowning in the river liffey/grand canal do you read about?

This thread is the digital version of old busy bodies twitching their net curtains and giving out about kids being kids

• Advertisement

This thread is the digital version of old busy bodies twitching their net curtains and giving out about kids being kids

In my day this never would have happened. I'm 26.

In my day this never would have happened. I'm 26.

Back in my day..... oh the irony

Back in my day..... oh the irony

Irony. Yes, that's what I was going for. Glad you noticed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

How many reports of teenagers drowning in the river liffey/grand canal do you read about?

Here's just a few links - they are lots more not reported on. Where the two junkies died at Suir road there was another young man drowned a few months before.

They pulled a body out at Mespil Road in 2009 that had been missing for months.

A drunk guy fell into GCD walking from the Spar back to his apartment and was pulled out a few weeks later. Then a couple of months later a van driver cable tied his hands to the steering wheel and drove straight in.

In 2012, the day before the docklands festival one of these kids was pulled unconcious from the water in front of the Kings of Concrete place and had to be resuscitated for 40 mins by the fire brigade, he was lucky to survive, apparently he didn't know how to swim :confused:

Accidents and deaths in water happen all the time, usually involves drink and drugs and only seldom are they reported.

Dec 2007 - Teenagers drowned 'in attempt to cool off'

Dec 2011 - Grand Canal drowning near Shannonbridge

Dec 2012 - Homeless couple used drug before drowning in canal

August 2012 - Donegal fan drowns in Dublin's Royal Canal

May 2013 - Drowning victim begins journey home to Ardara this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have jumped off bridges in the middle of foreign cities before. Hand-wringing cries that "Only in Ireland!"are bollocks. If the water is deep enough there, and it seems to be, then it's just a bit of fun. Have jumped off bridges, piers, cliffs, trees and all sorts into water and am still here. A bit of common sense, checking your environment and such and the chances of anything bad happening are pretty slim. Things happen, but it's no reason to not do things that are fun either. If it were, we'd never go sky-diving or driving or anything else much either.

Advertisement